• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Smooth Lander and Heavy Gravity (SLHG)

Muro

Smash Lord
Added a video link to the SL effect at the end of the OP.

I definitely think Tink is the dark horse bet in SLHG, boomerang must be so good offstage.

Marachii

Smash Rookie
Haha yea, no kidding I'm pretty sick of hand-cramps too.

I wanted to bring up a few characters that, after some review, have serious tournament viability. Of course this is all my opinion.

• :4peach: This girl... She gets early % grab combos with D-throw > F-tilt, N-air float cancels into itself, and her turnips can make recovery a nightmare. If you use float to hold your turnip, while throwing out aerials to space, you can easily deal with most rush-down characters. Crouch-cancels are kind of a thing because of the gravity, but it's nowhere near the magnitude of Melee, so D-smash is pretty safe and deals a ton of reliable %. I would pay $$$ to see Armada try SLHG.
I fought this guy named Devon from Smash Ladder, and his Peach is pretty next level. I'll try to upload some matches or something in the near future.

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
I just found this and would like to note, this is really cool, It sounds (reads) like halo custom games.

Last edited:

WhatsInAUsername

Smash Rookie
I fought this guy named Devon from Smash Ladder, and his Peach is pretty next level. I'll try to upload some matches or something in the near future.
Stop it, I feel embarrassed :nervous: But seriously, Peach seems cool here, especially since her recovery is miles above the others with Float. If she recovers low, you can't really challenge it. I definitely need to step up my game though, if I ever want to beat some people's Lucina's

ArtfulHobbes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArtfulHobbes2.0
3DS FC
4339-2578-0811
Hey guys! I just got my Game Capture today!

So if you have any awesome replays with cool combos, 0-deaths, or some awesome Captain Falcon action, please send them my way.

Time to get the Youtube channel up and running, and I'll hopefully be making some hype montage videos.

ZADD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
zaddthemadd
DHD might wanna try the other recovery, because once I ate his jump, this situation became slightly hopeless.
2 Things:
-DHD's recovery (one in the vid) has a brutal horizontal range for grabbing the ledge, but vertically (above him) it's pretty good.
-Wasting your second jump is a death sentence for a lot of characters, from Little Mac to Cpt. Falcon

Last edited:

VeggieSteel

Smash Cadet
NNID
VeggieSteel
Regardless of everything else, you gotta realize customs SLHG can't coexist with customs base on the same wii U. That is a major impediment for anyone willing to try it as a side event.
This is a fair point. Though I disagree with you about the majority of customs being problematic, we can't realistically expect TOs or players to remove regular smash sets and add SLHG sets every time they run an event this way.

By the way, how did we settle on Tornado Hold as the go-to custom for Megaman? I'd much rather use Beat (in general, not just in SLHG).

Last edited:

ArtfulHobbes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArtfulHobbes2.0
3DS FC
4339-2578-0811
By the way, how did we settle on Tornado Hold as the go-to custom for Megaman? I'd much rather use Beat (in general, not just in SLHG).
1. Because Tornado Hold can be unlocked by clearing a Master Orders with Mega Man so it is super easy to get.

2. Rush Coil has the inifinite jump that can be abused

3. Beat is a ridiculous recovery move that also shows up at random instead of fixed.

Muro

Smash Lord
This is a fair point. Though I disagree with you about the majority of customs being problematic, we can't realistically expect TOs or players to remove regular smash sets and add SLHG sets every time they run an event this way.

His default up b was broken, so we either had to limit it through the ruleset or swap it. Getting tornado hold is easy and we avoid messing with the ruleset.

Last edited:

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I've finally gotten around to trying this again now that there's a dedicated default set up. I was running my own version of this a while back, but it didn't match the values other players were using and I eventually cleared all of my custom characters to make room for custom move builds. Now that I've gone back and unlocked the equipment for this build I went ahead and made builds for all of the characters again. It's hard resisting the urge to play my actual mains in this game though, I still mostly play vanilla smash 4 and even readjusting to the floatier physics can throw me off my game for a couple of matches.

I'll probably be down for playing this online sometime, I've only gotten the chance to play this with my friend and my brother and they're both kinda bad at the game. I also want to see if anyone at my local weekly will be willing to try this out.

ArtfulHobbes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArtfulHobbes2.0
3DS FC
4339-2578-0811

It begins. In glorious 60fps

The only problem I'm having is the audio cut out during the loading screen and I don't know why... also the black borders kinda suck, I wonder if I can crop it at all. But my mic works, the audio works, and I'm going to be uploading a lot more in the future. :)

Muro

Smash Lord

The only problem I'm having is the audio cut out during the loading screen and I don't know why... also the black borders kinda suck, I wonder if I can crop it at all. But my mic works, the audio works, and I'm going to be uploading a lot more in the future. :)
This is awesome man. I think you have a great commentary style keep it up. I've been playing regularly with another member of my scene if we happen to capture a particularly hype match I'll send it to you or zadd. This is so cool!

Last edited:

SaturnFrost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaturnFrost

quality looks really good..Im not too familiar with capture devices but i am familiar with obs and streaming from pc. If the software/hardware you use is similar to obs,then the borders are probably an aspect ratio/ fullscreen setting in the video settings.

blargh257

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blargh257
I remember that game and losing.
Looking at it... crap, I threw that away.
I haven't been playing much lately because I've been practicing Falco tech but I'm not learning much, so I should probably start playing a bit again.

ArtfulHobbes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArtfulHobbes2.0
3DS FC
4339-2578-0811
Now I'm just wondering, for future smooth lander heavy gravity matches should I still do commentary? I enjoy doing it but maybe people just want the matches... hmm.

Maybe it would help share some information I've learned from the game.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Now I'm just wondering, for future smooth lander heavy gravity matches should I still do commentary? I enjoy doing it but maybe people just want the matches... hmm.

Maybe it would help share some information I've learned from the game.
Your commentary was great but it was weird commentating a match you're in. If you get replays and stuff you could totally commentate since it was pretty good and added to it, but maybe for your own matches try something else?

ArtfulHobbes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArtfulHobbes2.0
3DS FC
4339-2578-0811
Your commentary was great but it was weird commentating a match you're in. If you get replays and stuff you could totally commentate since it was pretty good and added to it, but maybe for your own matches try something else?
Good point. Maybe I'll do commentary on matches I'm not in, and then simply record others. Sounds like a plan. :)

Muro

Smash Lord
Good point. Maybe I'll do commentary on matches I'm not in, and then simply record others. Sounds like a plan. :)
I dunno, I liked the commentary. I think it's fine so long as you don't talk about yourself in the 3rd person lol.

Chucknoxus

Smash Cadet
NNID
Krokodoc
Little Mac is so awesome with his KO-upper setups. One down-throw and you're dead but his footstool neutral-air combo is also very cool. I still think that his superarmor is op but I don't play against him often because I'm a PM guy most of the time.

ArtfulHobbes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArtfulHobbes2.0
3DS FC
4339-2578-0811

Two more videos between Savvy and WhatsInAUsername I commentated on. I also got some really sick Falcon ditto replays with Marachii that I'll upload as well.

SaturnFrost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaturnFrost
not sure if it was mentioned but i think docs recovery should be the 2 : super jump..the rest of him seems fine but that defualt up b needs help

ZADD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
zaddthemadd
not sure if it was mentioned but i think docs recovery should be the 2 : super jump..the rest of him seems fine but that defualt up b needs help
Go ahead, just be aware that if you get rid of Doc's default Up-B, you're also getting rid of his (by far) best kill option...

Doc without his Up-B kill is like Mario without his F-air spike, pretty much a wet noodle.

Last edited:

SaturnFrost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaturnFrost
Go ahead, just be aware that if you get rid of Doc's default Up-B, you're also getting rid of his (by far) best kill option...

Doc without his Up-B kill is like Mario without his F-air spike, pretty much a wet noodle.
he has other kill options and combos . Get rid of 1 kill option to make his recovery (something non existant) a thing?...seems like a fair trade off to me.

ArtfulHobbes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArtfulHobbes2.0
3DS FC
4339-2578-0811

A wet noodle that can recover though.

Anyways I'm also making a big skype group for SLHG, if you want to be in I'll add you just post your skype here.

ZADD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
zaddthemadd
A wet noodle that can recover though.
Kirby can recover for days in Melee, yet he's worse than Pichu! If you play Doc correctly, you won't even need a recovery, just focus on spacing and controlling center of the stage.

Why would you play Doc with less kill options, when the only thing giving him any viability, is that he has more kill potential than Mario? Just play Mario lol

Recovery ≠ Viability, not even in SLHG.

Last edited:

SaturnFrost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaturnFrost
Kirby can recover for days in Melee, yet he's worse than Pichu! If you play Doc correctly, you won't even need a recovery, just focus on spacing and controlling center of the stage.

Why would you play Doc with less kill options, when the only thing giving him any viability, is that he has more kill potential than Mario? Just play Mario lol

Recovery ≠ Viability, not even in SLHG.
sounds good on paper till you have to recover and die at 20%...taking away the up B kill option just means you use your other kill options in its place ... Any ways this isnt set in stone, just a suggestion...We as a community as a whole have to decide on it in the end.

Last edited:

ZADD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
zaddthemadd
Well, Doc is my secondary and you can take his Up-B from my cold dead gloves. ;)

Seriously tho, Up-B is so crucial to Doc's matchups. It is his best offstage gimp tool, it kills horizontally at the same time you snap to the ledge. If you practice mashing Doc-nado (like you want to break your controller) at the same time you jump, you gain vertical height, and his recovery becomes much harder to challenge. If you were gonna use a custom, use his recovery Down-B tornado instead.

That way you don't sacrifice your best move, but you also pretty much have Luigi's Down-B.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Up B might be Doc's strongest kill option, but I'm not really sure if I would call it his "best" per se. Fair and Bair are both safer and can still kill reasonably early enough on stage from my experience. That being said, I wouldn't want to give up his default Up B, either. Plus it saves people from having to get randomly dropped custom moves.

Really though, as much as I would like the option of switching moves out if I really wanted to, I do kinda agree it's best for SLHG to keep things simple for now. It already has to coexist with a bunch of custom move builds on my Wii U, and I imagine it's the same for other people.

Muro

Smash Lord
This was a banana bonkers experience. Also, custom stages are fun, haha.
Great match man, gonna put this one up as the main vid. This one kinda makes me think maybe 3 stocks is better lol, even though I've been playing with 4. I think sm4sh has a wider range of game length than previous games, it can either be over very soon or last a long while. Let's see where it ends up.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I was playing with @ blargh257 blargh257 earlier and we had a mixture of match lengths. Most of them went by pretty quickly, but a few lasted just a little over 5 minutes. And this was with 4 stock, by the way. I think 4 stock is fine, after all Melee has its fair share of slow match ups thanks to the couple of floaties among the high tiers.

Marachii

Smash Rookie
Yeah, Reserved zones me the heck out so I had to play that one super patient, which is why it took so long.

That was fearful playing from getting bodied 100x over

Last edited:

Muro

Smash Lord
Where can I get that stage btw? I only played on it once but I think it's one of my favourites.

ZADD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
zaddthemadd
If anyone wants to play a few games tonight, Im at my home console with a better internet. NNID: zaddthemadd

Top Bottom