• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashturbation 2010 - Markham, Ontario - July 11, 2010

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
__________:drmario::mario2::luigi2::bowser2: GTA :peach::yoshi2::dk2::falcon::ganondorf:
:falco::fox::ness2::popo::kirby2: MELEE :samus2::zelda::shiek::link2::younglinkmelee:
______:pichu::pikachu2::jigglypuff::mewtwo: LOCALS :gw::marth::roymelee:

Melee tournament to be held on:

June 12, 2010

Date is subject to change - If weekday (Thursday, Friday - Wednesday, Tuesday, and Monday cannot work) or Sunday is more convenient for the bulk of people, I have no qualms with switching it if notified in advance and it is also doable for me.

The location:

85 Henderson Ave - House #20
Markham, ON
L3T 2L1

We have a basement.

Contact Information

PM my Smashboards account if further details are needed. I am also reachable by AIM and Hotmail.

They are as follows:

Hotmail - Yellow_Elephant__ @ hotmail . com (remove the spaces)
AIM - KirbyKaze3038

On request, I can provide a home phone number or cell phone number.

Details:

Doors open at 11:00 am for setup. Tournament registration begins at 12:00. Tournament will be held in basement, possibly bleeding to main floor depending on overflow. It is encouraged we use as much space as we can in the basement before heading upstairs, however. This is because of the heat (my house has no AC) and my Dad's request. I would like to honor this trust to the best of my ability. He will likely be home for this/these.

My Dad has also issued a cap of 23 outside people. You are required to register for this, or I will turn you away at the door.

Entry fee is tentatively $5 and covers both singles event and doubles event. You may choose to not enter singles or doubles respectively but the cost does not change and remains at $5. Tournaments will be done in Double Elimination bracket style, with pools if population can support it.

Because of the cap, if you do not intend to enter the tournament, I would encourage you to not come. We host an extremely large amount of casual events as it is and it is more than likely you could host one or put one together with ease. The fee ($5 for one event or $2.50 for each event if you enter both) is very inexpensive.

Similarly, if you say "Maybe", I will not list you in the attendants list. I don't want "Maybe" people clogging the list when I have such limited space (physically, and in terms of possible attendants).

Pot splits will accommodate whether you entered singles and doubles or simply one of them. If you enter singles only your money will only be used in the singles pot.

Tournament Rules:

- Tournament matches take priority over MMs, friendlies, and anything else you can think of. If you are requested to vacate a setup for an official tournament match and are not in an official tournament match, you are obligated to do so immediately.

- Stocks set to 4, Time Limit set to 7:00, Friendly Fire "On" in teams, No items, Life Steal is permitted in teams, Pause "Off" in teams.

- All tournament matches will be called out. It is then your duty to go to the assigned setup and play your match (setups will be labeled). 5 minutes will be given for the opponent to also arrive at the setup. After this 5 minute period, if your opponent fails to arrive at the station he or she will forfeit the set.

- No excessive stalling. Use of the Infinite Wall Bomber to stall (more 30 seconds), Rising Pound offstage to stall (more than 30 seconds), Wobbling beyond 200%, Infinite Wall Kick below Battlefield (more than 30 seconds), constitutes this and will earn you a warning. A second warning will earn you the loss of the set.

- Wobbling is legal, but capped at 200% or it constitutes excessive stalling.

- Pausing is illegal. Accidental pausing will not be tolerated and held against you as if it was intentional. Once will earn you a warning and your opponent may request you drop a stock. A second warning will earn you the loss of the set. Pause can be turned off and is awkwardly in the center of the controller. There is no excuse for accidental pause.

- Pound 4 Rules: Double blind character select and stage strike stage game 1. The winner then bans a stage for the set (this only occurs per each player once). Loser then either calls random or a stage, winner picks his or her character, then the loser selects character. (The latter 2 do not apply in the case of a random match call).

- Sets are Bo3 for all rounds until Winner's Semis, Loser's Semis, which are Bo5. Winner's, Loser's and Grand Finals are also Bo5.

- Pools will be done if request and if there are 16 or more people. Otherwise there will only be a double elimination bracket with only the top 4 - 8 players seeded by power. Regional seeding will be applied regardless.

- Pools may not eliminate players depending on request, and time constraints. A 24 man bracket may be produced. Similarly, a 16 man bracket may also be produced.

Stage Rules:

~~~ Random / Game 1 Stages ~~~

Fountian of Dreams (singles exclusively)
Pokemon Stadium (teams exclusively)

Yoshi's Story
Dreamland 64
Final Destination
Battlefield

~~~ Counterpick Exclusive Stages ~~~

Pokemon Stadium (singles exclusively)
Kongo Jungle 64
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar

This tournament will employ the use of Stage Striking.

Dave's Modified Stupid Rule is implemented: You can use stages you've lost on as counterpick but not the stage you last won on.

After characters are selected, players will Rock Paper Scissors (bo1) for whether they pick first, with the winner choosing to be the First Striker or the Second Striker. Order of striking will go as follows:

First Striker - 1
Second Striker - 2, 3
First Striker - 4

Stage ban is done by the player that previously won, after the win, and before counterpicks occur. Stage bans occur once per set. You may counterpick to the stage you have banned, but not the one your opponent(s) have banned.

In Grand Finals, bans and counterpicks reset if it extends to a second set. A completely new set is played.

~~~ Example of Stage Rules ~~~

Stage Striking

RaynEX is playing Unknown522 in Winner's Finals (Bo5). RaynEX wins with Rock vs Scissors. He tells Unknown522 to go first.

Unknown522 decides to strike Final Destination. He decides he feels unlucky with chain grabbing that day.

It is then RaynEX's turn to strike. He then strikes the second and third stages. He decides he feels uncomfortable on Fountain of Dreams, so he strikes it. He feels he is uncomfortable on Fountain of Dreams because of its size and small platforms, so he then strikes Yoshi's Story, feeling that those stages are bad against Unknown522's aggressive style.

Unknown522 then has the fourth strike, with Dreamland64 and Battlefield remaining. Feeling obliged to avoid the dash dance war that Dreamland64 tends to produce, he strikes it.

The first game is Battlefield.

Counterpick Basics

Suppose Unknown522 wins. Before RaynEX decides his counterpick, Unknown522 is obligated to tell RaynEX his ban. RaynEX has been picking Brinstar that day, because he wants to try it as a surprise counterpick in Fox dittos. Unknown522, not a fan of the stage, bans it. RaynEX is miffed, but decides on Final Destination.

If RaynEX wins this, then Unknown522 will be obligated to ban a stage and then RaynEX will make his counterpick decision.

If Unknown522 wins this, then RaynEX will be allowed to try counterpicking again. Perhaps Final Destination again, if he feels he lost wrongfully, or Pokemon Stadium if he feels the transformations have been favourable.

Let's say in our example he loses on FD.

Dave's Modified Stupid Rule

On his next counterpick (set 2-0, advantage Unknown522), he decides to try Final Destination again. RaynEX wins (set 2-1, advantage Unknown522). Before Unknown522 makes his counterpick, RaynEX bans Fountain of Dreams. At this point, Fountain of Dreams is banned, much in the same way that Brinstar is banned, and those stages are not legal for the set. He is also not allowed to use Final Destination as counterpick because that was the last stage he won on.

Given these options, Unknown522 decides to counterpick Battlefield. He has won there, but this is a legal counterpick because the last stage he won on was Final Destination, which therefore makes Battlefield a legal selection.

If Unknown522 wins, he wins the set (3-1).

If RaynEX wins, he will be given the chance to win the set (2-2). He decides to counterpick Dreamland 64.

Finishing the Set for Closure

Let's say he wins to make the set 2-2.

At this point, because Final Destination was no longer the last stage he won on (it was Battlefield), Unknown522 is allowed to use it to counterpick.

He decides to pick Yoshi's Story instead, however, and wins. Stage Striking only applies for the first match of the set, which in turn makes this a legal play.
NOTE: On a gentleman's agreement, other stages not listed here may be played or used in the tournament.

Etiquette Rules:

- Bring Your Own Controller. You will not be supplied one and others are not obligated to donate one to you. You are responsible for your ability to participate. We are fairly friendly as a community, but many of us are very protective of our controllers as we require them to perform. Please respect this.

- Please respect the venue. My house is only available on the condition that we stay on my Dad's good terms. Small things like putting finished pop cans into the recycling bag that will be marked and placed at the entrance to the basement's main room are very appreciated. Please keep the house clean. Property damage will additionally not be tolerated.

- Drugs and alcohol inside the venue will not be tolerated.

- Show respect to your fellow players. We're all here for the same reason.

Pot Split

Singles
60 / 30 / 10

Teams
60 / 30 / 10

The pot split, like most things here, are subject to change.

Food Options:

~~~ Driving Required ~~~

~ McDonalds
~ KFC / Taco Bell (kind of)
~ Centerpoint Mall's food court (Mall closes at 6 Saturdays)
~ No Frills (located at Centerpoint Mall)

~~~ Walking Distance ~~~

~ Granny's [Chinese Food] ($8-10 weekends, Lunch special during weekdays around $6-7 from 11:00 am - 4:00 pm or so)
~ Regino's Pizza (2 slices - 2.50 / large with 3-toppings walk-in special - $11.30, also has Garlic Bread, Fries, Wings, etc)
~ KFC / Taco Bell (takes a bit of time)
~ Golden Star (somewhat pricey, but tastes good)
~ Subway (eat fresh)

Tentative Schedule:

Doors open:

11:00 am
Enter the venue, warm up, play friendlies.

12:00 am - 12:30 pm
After 12:30 if you have not notified me in advance that you will be late for the tournament you will not be included. If you try to notify and I fail to answer I am not obligated to include you in the tournament (though I probably will because 24 people is a low number). I will accept tardiness up to 1:15, 30 minutes after singles pools have started. I will expect the registration fee immediately on entry. Any later and it falls on my discretion whether or not you are allowed to enter.

Singles Pools:
12:45 pm - 4:00 pm
Three hours is more than enough time to get pools done on the conditions that:
1) we refrain from mass Jigglypuff-dittoing every game on Dreamland complete with Planking
2) people do not dawdle and play their matches

I honestly expect this to be done in two and a half if time is not wasted. Do not waste my time or the time of your peers. The faster pools finishes, the sooner we can eat, and the sooner the tournament is over. Which, in turn, means the sooner we can actually play friendlies.

IMPORTANT TO NOTE: If we have a shortage of set-ups (less than 6) we will not do pools and do a double elimination bracket immediately. Please bring setups if possible. 6 is necessary to finish pools efficiently whether we do 4 pools of 8 or vice versa. Assuming maximum capacity, 6 setups is necessary. Please do your part.

Meal Time:
4:00 pm - 5:00 pm
You have an hour to get your food. It is advised you do not waste it. Plan efficiently. You can eat food in the basement and in the Dining Room here, if you are initially indecisive. If your pool finishes early, you do not have to stay, moreover, so efficiently working through pools means you get more time to eat (or play friendlies during Meal Time if you're not hungry).

Doubles Event:
5:00 - 8:00 pm
Pools (if requested) and brackets for teams are done in this time. This is more than enough time, especially because we have, at maximum, 12 teams entering doubles. There is no reason teams should take this long.

Singles Bracket:
8:00 - Finish
Singles players have been seeded at this point, and the bracket has been corrected, and produced. Singles finishes when it finishes.

IMPORTANT TO NOTE: Following singles I'm going to request 5 minutes of everyone's time (yes, two whole Fox dittos on Pokemon Stadium) to help clean up the house. There will be garbage everywhere (from experience) and I will provide bags to dispose of it. I only want the necessary amount of volunteers to help me bring the bags out to the garbage dump, which is a 2 minute walk (at most). It may very well turn out only I have to go after the bag has gone around and people have deposited their trash in it. However, this is very important to me, and my ability to host more of these hinges on your cooperation in this endeavor.

NOTE: I am 100% okay with altering this schedule and doing singles prior to doubles if that is what the majority wants, or doing the entire doubles event so that people can eat and then go to singles pools. Changes are perfectly acceptable. However, this is not an excuse for spending gratuitous time playing friendlies or going off for a lengthy lunch break when tournament matches need to be played. I am reluctant to add extra time for food when the tournament could be finishing. As far as I am concerned, most of the allocations are generous given the 24 man cap.

NOTE: Other events (such as draft crews, a crews tournament, regional crews) can be suggested (on the boards or on the day of), organized, and accommodated very easily into this schedule if we do not dawdle and systematically work through the regularly scheduled events. The venue officially closes at midnight but I do not mind letting people stay later if conditions allow it. However, that is not an excuse to hold up the tournament and there will be repercussions for doing so, including disqualification and possibly a suspension from future events.

If I have missed something noteworthy feel free to tell me.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Registration List:
Player____Consoles____TVs____Melee Copies____Regional Affiliation

Host:
00 ~ KirbyKaze - 1 Cube - 3 TVs - 1 copy of SSBM - GTA

Guest List:
01 ~ sauc3
02 ~ unknown522
03 ~ I.B
04 ~ blowtoes
05 ~ brother of blowtoes
06 ~ Riddlebox
07 ~ Pho
08 ~ The Mighty Kiwi
09 ~ Coolhat
10 ~ Sanuzi
11 ~ Weon-X
12 ~ Mad J
13 ~ Windrose
14 ~ Sleaf
15 ~ Afro_Chris
16 ~ Omni
17 ~ EternalDawn
18 ~ RaynEX
19 ~ Power
20 ~
21 ~
22 ~
23 ~
24 ~
25 ~
26 ~
27 ~
28 ~
29 ~
30 ~
31 ~ stos (spectator)

Ministry

Smash Ace
ministry 1GC 1TV(if i have a ride) 1 melee, oakville , 1 apple strudle, 1 eggbread pudding

more food if im bored

Sleaf

Smash Cadet
yea i'll go. I'll bring setup but no TV..
I'm guessing Ryan will be there too?

MisaMeka

Smash Apprentice
WHATTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THESE ARE BACK!?

Holy **** its a good thing too! I saw "Smashturbation" being used and I was all like "**** I wish these came back to life" then I saw Sleaf post and I was like "....."

alskfhlkLKHAFLIHllawh12946INTHE****INGMORNING

:( I hate being a retired smasher...

MisaMeka

Smash Apprentice
lol I forgot I was on Tameka's acct. Also, amazing 1st post david. How ****ing long did it take you to match the character select order on the GTA header? quality ****. I might have to lock Tameka in a closet and steal Nyla to come to one of these.

Sanu

Smash Champion
on my birthday, can't make it

not like it matters to anyone haha

D

Deleted member

Awesome, I'll be there. 45 minute drive isn't too bad. Is there parking nearby?

puu - wii with no memory card - 0 - 0 - GTA

WOO first tournament. So excited.

EDIT: I may be able to bring a game and memory card after all.

idea

Smash Master
i'll come as long as it doesn't get moved to the 16th. so...yeah, confirm me.

+ 1 wii/melee

and that was nice of you to type out all the food options =P

edit: i know someone who only plays samus and has no knowledge of advanced techniques, and still manages to accidentally hit start on a regular basis. i can't figure out what is so strenuous about running to the edge and shooting missiles.

I.B

Smash Lord
Almost jizzed my pants after reading this.

I'mma be there!

Ay man, you live in Sauga? Hit me up, we should play sometime.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend

Parking nearby is available at the local school, Henderson Ave Public School, which is across the road from my townhouse complex (the parking lot is near the tennis courts). There is additionally guess parking on Proctor Ave (east side of Proctor), which intersects with Henderson Ave. It is next to an Animal Clinic.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Anyways, there's no entry fee posted, though the payout is.....
Details:

Doors open at 11:00 am for setup. Tournament registration begins at 12:00. Tournament will be held in basement, possibly bleeding to main floor depending on overflow. It is encouraged we use as much space as we can in the basement before heading upstairs, however. This is because of the heat (my house has no AC) and my Dad's request. I would like to honor this trust to the best of my ability. He will likely be home for this/these.

My Dad has also issued a cap of 23 outside people. You are required to register for this, or I will turn you away at the door.

Entry fee is tentatively $5 and covers both singles event and doubles event. You may choose to not enter singles or doubles respectively but the cost does not change and remains at $5. Tournaments will be done in Double Elimination bracket style, with pools if population can support it.
Curses, how could I have missed that?

Sanu

Smash Champion
you should probably add the location somewhere in the topic title p-p

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
It would be cool if a bunch of the vets coached and supervised some of the newer guys in a crew battle. It would help the newer players get tournament experience without getting demolished by people who have been played for 5+ years. Having a scene devoid of random jitters and nervousness would be cool.

If we helped make everyone more confident, I can imagine us having a scary good smash scene.

Cyan_

Smash Lord
It would be cool if a bunch of the vets coached and supervised some of the newer guys in a crew battle. It would help the newer players get tournament experience without getting demolished by people who have been played for 5+ years. Having a scene devoid of random jitters and nervousness would be cool.

If we helped make everyone more confident, I can imagine us having a scary good smash scene.
yeahhhhhhhhhhh :D

hopefully i can make it

Ministry

Smash Ace

that would be awesome, i need coaching!

bernard teach me SSF4, akuma/ibuki/ryu/ken if u play any of those

Geist

Smash Master
<3333 I definitely want to do this. I'm going to drag a few Bramptonians with me if possible. But even if I'm on my own I can supply 2 cubes, 2 copies of melee and 2 TVs.

I suck and I want to get better. :[

Summonedfist

Smash Lord

Too bad no one is committed enough...

or is too limited to be able to commit. >_>

EWC

Smash Ace
I will go to this for sure. Probably be bringing a couple of other UW smashers with me. Depending on circumstances regarding transportation, we might be able to bring a setup (tv + cube + spare controllers) or two.

D

Deleted member

I can already imagine the horrible tournament jitters I'm gonna have. I'm way too excited for my first tournament to not have em.

Hopefully if I get enough friendlies in beforehand it won't be as bad.

Keatsta

Smash Apprentice
Uh I'm in, 99% chance I will be able to get a ride/bus and I'll definitely come if that is an option.

Oh yeah and depending on if I get a ride or whatever I'll be able to bring two setups probably, maybe a third. If I take a bus I'll probably still be able to bring a Gamecube or two if that's at all helpful. TV would be difficult.

Oh yeah and I'm in Waterloo now, probably should change that at some point.

Ministry

Smash Ace
I can already imagine the horrible tournament jitters I'm gonna have. I'm way too excited for my first tournament to not have em.

im sure you will be fine, it just takes getting use to, make sure i get to play with u!!. names nick , probably will have a poker tuqe on

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
that would be awesome, i need coaching!

bernard teach me SSF4, akuma/ibuki/ryu/ken if u play any of those
I know a good chunk about the shotos. (ryu/ken/akuma) I just finished trying stuff out with Ibuki so thats a go as well.

Too bad no one is committed enough...

or is too limited to be able to commit. >_>
If by limited you mean in actual player skill, then I disagree. Being inexperienced is a reason TO commit. That's how you get better.

Its attitudes like this that would have stopped so many pro players from getting good. Everyone was TERRIBLE at one point. I couldn't place top 20 in any tournament the first 2 and a half years I played...locally. That's incredibly sad, because for many years our players got smashed every time they went to the U.S.

Now Unknown522, KirbyKaze, I.B. and I are top 48 in the world.

Doesn't matter what skill level you are. No offense to Summonedfist, but don't listen to him on this one. Come out, ask questions and get better - otherwise you won't get anywhere. The main thing to remember at events like these is that losing, against any kind of player, is a learning experience. Use that loss to pick at your mistakes and tighten up your game.

We were all like that at one point. If you have any questions now or day of, feel free to ask away.

Top Bottom