• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashGT 3 July 17th (Melee Only) CONFIRMED

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Filth

Smash Lord
Brawl, however, is where the lack of hosts is at :(
Actually, we have no real lack of hosts, despite what it may seem like. You're a melee player anyhow, unless I missed my guess? I suppose it would look like we have no hosts at all.

I personally host as much as I can over summer and will be able to for most of the following year (which I intend to do). Plus Smudge is starting the Manchester gamerbase tournaments again, we have Anakin in barnsley who is by far and away the most active host in the UK from what I can see. Then we have Willz plannign to host on may 1st as well, there's no lack of upcoming events at all.

The problem is that it seems a lot of the community only takes a tournament seriously when there's top players there or it's a well known host. The amount of times I've tried to get some interest going to be met with a thunderous "meh" is kind of disappointing. I think the gamerbase ones will get round that at least, so we can hope.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
I guess I should say my 0.02 as well.

I think option 2 sucks. How bad will that time constraint be with a national? We've been known to do BO1 sets in pools/brackets before which is awful for a national. A lot of people won't even bother coming just for singles (and like Alan said probably no pools either), overall it just won't feel like a national event and more like a monthly with higher cash stakes. I don't really think it'd be enjoyable at all.

Option 3 is a little better, but I think you highlighted the biggest con about that. It also means that people who live far away would have to trek it down twice... yeah. ~_~

So, I vote for the first option. Andy's idea is good as well.

Kone

Smash Master
Actually, we have no real lack of hosts, despite what it may seem like. You're a melee player anyhow, unless I missed my guess? I suppose it would look like we have no hosts at all.

I personally host as much as I can over summer and will be able to for most of the following year (which I intend to do). Plus Smudge is starting the Manchester gamerbase tournaments again, we have Anakin in barnsley who is by far and away the most active host in the UK from what I can see. Then we have Willz plannign to host on may 1st as well, there's no lack of upcoming events at all.

The problem is that it seems a lot of the community only takes a tournament seriously when there's top players there or it's a well known host. The amount of times I've tried to get some interest going to be met with a thunderous "meh" is kind of disappointing. I think the gamerbase ones will get round that at least, so we can hope.
Uhm im going to be plain speaking; you are wrong. How many national tournaments have there been hosted for brawl? outside of what fuzzy has done? that are on the standard of the tournaments that are standard for the melee scene in the UK and abroad. 14 people in somebodys house with a few people that have travelled from london isnt a national tournament or the equaivalent of smashGT, SNY, phantom hits etc etc. The reason nobody is bothered about going to a tournament you or other brawl players have attempted to host is that you dont make them look professional, have a venue or create the required hype. I think im still the only host ever to run a national brawl tournament, for brawl only, with housing and a venue. That is a joke imo. Only time there is a large UK brawl tournament is when it is leeching, lol, from the already established melee hosts.

Running tournaments at gamerbase and in houses is alright now and then but it aint going to ever elevate the scene to a good standard :s. You can argue all you want with this but with what ive put into the UK melee scene, the experience I have had and the success with it I personally would take note.

Ive never attempted to run something and had a 'meh' reaction.

Retroking2000

Smash Master
looooool

why , its that UK has the most problems out of any community in Europe ?
but we are the funniest;)
i really cba to care which date its on cause i would probably go anyways haha
hey kone would be awesome if you took a phone or some sort and did a tour of the venue

The Filth

Smash Lord
I appreciate speaking your mind, more people need to do so these days =]

On the note of professionalism, my tournies have had turnouts of around 30 in the past, which is admittedly pretty small, but they shared the same format as the machester gamerbase ones. Literally the only difference was the fact that one was hosted in gamerbase, and another at some house. I'm still inexperienced as far as hosting goes though, probably seeing as I joined smashboards and went to my first tournament less than a year ago. Remember you've had significantly more experience than most of us at this sort of thing =]

Also, on the note of you having "meh" reactions, you have been around a lot more than I have. My last little fest that I had planned was abandoned, mainly because where im situated and the timing was a little off. I announced the date, got a fair bit of interest, then a few other fests cropped up which sort of clashed , and I lost said interest. Part of that seemed to be that you were a more trustworthy or familiar host, which is part of the problem I was trying to bring up (badly). We need some more reliable hosts like you that people trust to run a good fest/tourney.

People have confidence in you as a host, because you ARE a good one, and you've proven yourself in the past. But then again, this isn't about me and you though, I just want to do whats best for the community on the whole. If I started drawing up some plans for a national, would you be open to me asking for advice etc on general organisation and getting word around?

I suppose I wasn't expressing myself clearly enough. Yes, we haven't had any standalone brawl nationals, but I'm wondering whether or not this is a symptom of us all being lazy and letting Fuzzy organise everything. He's always been the organiser. It's too centralised on him to put everything together, at the very least the man needs a break =]

We have no lack of people willing to host, just most of us have no experience with running something major. Tell you what, I'm going to start drawing up some plans for the summer now.

Would many southerners be willing to even come up north if I started something like this up? My aim would be to have every brawl player there, as unlikely as that is, so I need to know what the interest in a brawl national is like.

Kone

Smash Master
All communities are the same. The difference is that they don't use the same language as us so we can't tell by being around them or on their forums unless you get to know them well.

Im going to the venue end of April to pay the deposit edwin. Im already planning to do a video tour of the place. Hopefully joe will be with me to do some commentary. I need to collect a load of information on bedroom, powerpoints, number of chairs/tables etc aswell ^_^

Dooan - your post was cool. I wasn't digging at you more at brawl side of the community sorting itself out. Im always happy to help/give advice etc if needed. You just need one of you guys to up your game and put some backbone into it. Running a large tournament isn't all fun n games ^_^.

Edit - read what you posted. Experience is gained through trying. I guess my point is similar to your own, that brawl hosts tend to look lazy and do rely on fuzz. You just need to organise something. Also, there isnt much point in asking if people will come up north for a tournament or whether people want one etc. If you get venue + housing + post a thread + create hype then you will get a large turnout. I used to get large numbers coming up to Newcastle for tournaments. People are always interested, but they won't commit till you convince them.

The Filth

Smash Lord
Yeah, I wasn't thinking you were getting lairy or anything, I know the feeling. It's kind of frustrating seeing people mope about.

I've decided. I've just remembered an almost perfect venue pretty close to the town centre I could host this ****. No time like the present, going to get into contact as soon as this semester is over.

Always seems to be if something needs doing, you gotta do it yourself =[

Jolteon

i'd say its more you gotta do it yourself if you want it done right ^_^

Kone

Smash Master
Watch out. Venues, no matter where, are surprisingly busy. You may find it hard getting anywhere for the summer o_o

Heartstring

Smash Legend
getting the brawl scene sorted out, like i have said before, i would, but i am very new relatively, definetely younger than most of you, and in possibly the most rural area in the country, if i was to host one here, we'd get about 5 people turn up if you include our resident tractor.
im more than willnig to help people sort theres out though, ive had a bit of experience hosting wifail tourneys.
dooan-awesome, get a spot, and ill help you with ****, shall bring a tv and a wii and generally jsut help out with things....though housing is going to be a problem for me no matter where i go XP

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
Im not gonna be hosting a national, hopefully its gonna be the start of Sheffield monthlies if i can get this sorted, i'll keep stuff updated in my thread.

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
I'd like to say I completely agree with ed about this, the brawlers are pretty lazy with hosting events ~_~ and trying to push their community

its poor too how many people care, example is at my tournaments even gt2 the lack of people bringing setups

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I'd like to say I completely agree with ed about this, the brawlers are pretty lazy with hosting events ~_~ and trying to push their community

its poor too how many people care, example is at my tournaments even gt2 the lack of people bringing setups
maybe, some people are jsut like that, think the entire world owes them a favour, some of us are trying though

The Filth

Smash Lord
Yes, your points are valid.

Still, just sitting round grumping about how lazy we are isn't going to solve anything. I know you've organised things brawl orientated in the past, but as has been brought up it's never been just Brawl. I know you're a melee player first and foremost so it's about time some of the rest of us got off our arses. Which is exactly what I'm planning.

I agree with your statement, but just complaining about it and doing nothing isn't really helping us right now. Obviously this is just a general thing not directed at you in particular, seeing as you've organised events in the past, but we've all been slacking to some extent I guess, some more than others.

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
if you want me to do something I'll stop including brawl in the monthlies or in general for the rest of 2010 and see what the brawl players spoof up? Maybe that'll boost you guys, step up and run your own ****!

I dont see why you say im doing nothing? LOL I'm the guy who seems to run EVERYTHING for brawl -_- I can say what I like man cause you guys seem to be doing zilch apart from going to someone's house to play

The Filth

Smash Lord
No no fuzzy, I meant to say you above all people are one of the guys who are actually doing ANYTHING, but the rest of us need to sort it out and stop having to rely on you. I was trying to get across the sentiment that we need to do something as a community, but it was in response to what you said, so I guess I wasn't clear enough if saying you're more than pulling your weight.

So yeah, it was in no way directed at you, you're the main guy as far as I can tell when it comes to organisation. Maybe if you did stop runnign stuff it'd force at least the southern brawl community to do something, which is what we want.

Unless you weren't being serious in which case ignore that :3

I swear I'm not getting across what I want to say clearly enough, my bad.

C.R.Z

Smash Lord

your kiding right? last time there were too much setups, i had to carry my wii around and i know for a fact others did the same

X1-12

Smash Champion
the rest of us need to sort it out and stop having to rely on you

stop saying it, start doing it..

and fuzz i think not running brawl would be worth doing, and not just saying that cause i play melee, I won't even be there on 17th but if you actually get the brawl community to do thier own stuff then we might have some more future hosts, people can't expect fuzz to run all the real tournaments forever.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Nah it had F-Zero GPX and Mario Kart Wii in before, nice try though on the sly insult but due to you being a brawl player then impact of it is massively reduced, similar to the hitstun in your game.

Jolteon

Haven't you seen his Fox? All he does is recycle his moves.

Shine shine shine shine shine shine shine.

AmcD

Smash Ace
Yeah Thursday and Friday would be better, but from the first post he only gives 3 choices and all of them are on Saturday!

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
I can only do it on one day >_> and people have SCHOOL on thursday

I don't, but others do and it'll affect turnout

Sure we could do doubles + singles in one day with 20 t.vs dedicated to melee
people better bring setups tho :(

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
I'll be at this with my amazing maylay skillzzzz so **** brawl it's all about MAYLAY!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom