• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SMASHERS UNITE! ... in Celebration. Brawl is Online, and I'm just paranoid ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zomgpwned

Smash Rookie
how awesome would that be, if one day we checked the dojo website , and we saw the words ITS GOING TO BE ONLINE!!! ZOMFG LAWL in big, bold, red, underlined words on the front page?

i hope its online

AttackstorM

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2122-8193-6919
how awesome would that be, if one day we checked the dojo website , and we saw the words ITS GOING TO BE ONLINE!!! ZOMFG LAWL in big, bold, red, underlined words on the front page?

i hope its online
heck yea!!!

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
hey, this may be a little old, but it is on IGN, and it was directly stated by Sakurai himself during E3 2006.

IGN and Sakurai said:
Even better, the game will be fully online playable in addition to featuring a robust multiplayer mode. "My plan is to include Wi-Fi connection compatibility and online functionality. One of the primary reasons Super Smash Bros. Brawl was created was that Nintendo, when taking Wii online, wanted to have Smash Bros. to do that," added Sakurai.
don't believe me, here's the link to the article

http://wii.ign.com/articles/707/707504p1.html

AttackstorM

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2122-8193-6919
hey, this may be a little old, but it is on IGN, and it was directly stated by Sakurai himself during E3 2006.

we all know that they said in 2006 that they want to include an online mode but E3 2007 has already past and still no officiall comfirmation of if it was successfully put in or not

hmmm maybe 500 would be a good goal for the petition...it seems to be slowing down...

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
Hello and thank you for contacting Nintendo,

It's great to hear from the many fans of the Super Smash Bros. series!
So many of you have contacted Nintendo regarding the features and
characters you would love to see in the upcoming Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
To us, it's a sign of how much excitement the new game is generating.

The best place to share your excitement is through our special Super
Smash Bros. NSider Forums. Data from these forums will be provided to
the developers. The NSider Forums may be accessed by clicking the link
below:

http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo/board?board.id=smash

To post the features and characters you want to see in the game, you'll
need a My Nintendo membership. However, it's free and easy to get by
going to the following web page:

http://my.nintendo.com/cpp/mynintendo/myNintendo.do

If you have questions about NSider Forums, please visit our FAQ page:

http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo/help_faq

Thank you for your e-mail.

Nintendo of America Inc.
Bruce Mann

Nintendo's home page: http://www.nintendo.com/
Power Line (Automated Product Info): (425) 885-7529

Artc

Smash Cadet
E-mail to Nintendo, $0.
Signature on a petiton $0
One digg, $0

Brawl with online, priceless. (actually $50)

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Brawl online costing money? It's be the new Xbox Live. Anyways, you guys can go ahead with your petition. Just remember what I've said previously or not.

AttackstorM

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2122-8193-6919

below:

Nintendo of America Inc.
Bruce Mann

wheres this from? is this guy a nintendo rep?

Star105

Smash Journeyman

below:

Nintendo of America Inc.
Bruce Mann

wheres this from? is this guy a nintendo rep?
I was about to say the same thing

i was wondering about whether they're saving this update for dead last because they need to complete the game before putting it online for it to work to maximum capacity.

oh well

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
If online was already planned in Sakurai's head and it turns out Brawl does have a online wi-fi battle mode, then online wouldn't be in jeopardy and worrying is a waste of time. That seems to be the case.

Boredbynoobs

Smash Rookie
Actually it would be pretty funny if the game won't be online. :p Sad part is that all fans will buy the game even if its offline, nintendo knows that, so why make the effort to make it online. Believe me its not easy to make a fighting game online without lagg. If its delay during the games, its no use to play online anyway.
Can someone name a couple of console fighting games that are online?

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
This is interesting. Well, it looks like Nintendo Power doesn't have any info as of yet about online play. You guys can go ahead with your petition. I'll just sit back, watch, and post occasionally just like I've been doing.

In touch with the wii

Smash Cadet
well the thing is if no online play it will seriously get a bad review it wont get anywhere near 10/10 maybe nine at the most but thats it cause mario party had no online and got put down for that

Truce

Smash Cadet
Aww, man, now I'm worried. You would expect Nintendo to use this game's online play as leverage wouldn't you? I mean, they did it at E3 before, right?

In the past though, have any major promises Nintendo has made ever been broken? Release dates aside I mean. We all know they don't usually mean anything. But Brawl was/is Nintendo's main online title. They used this game to show that they had online down, that a new wind was blowing and all that. Plus, this has been in development for one helluva long time. The game was originally slated for release with the console, but pushed back. Years. Why? Maybe it was to give us a better game, possibly including online play.

Really, these shenanigans remind me of the prerelease times of Twilight Princess. Nintendo promised that game, and promised it, and promised again, with the date being pushed back repeatedly. IMO, that game was a masterpiece, and hopefully Brawl will be too. All signs point to yes.

I'll still sign the petition though. :p

Legolastom

Smash Hero
If you wanna know about Nintendo not keeping their premise's... then you obviously don't know much about the history of TP.

Level 9

Smash Apprentice
(To any who may care about my input)

I don't know if I have or haven't said anything along the these lines yet, let alone if anyone else has already beat me to it... (I looked the best I could)

But to the best I can figure... The ONLY thing I can really see from keeping Brawl going online is if it's not wi-fi friendly...

I can't imagine it not being able to go online at all... (Provided they where at least trying to make it online capable in the first place)

But if it just can't seam to make the grade for there wi-fi standards well... That would probably look not to good for there marketing division to have a online title that most would look at as the game to judge nintendos online strategy by...

A online game that requires the player to invest in a Wii LAN Adaptor as well as a higher then average class online speed from there ISP's...

Not that they couldn't do that just to have it as an option...

But that kinda go's against there current pro wi-fi campaign... Differing from there current strategy is something nintendo has almost NEVER done... In fact that's why the N64 used cartridges instead of CD's, And why the DS has two screens...

More or less on that note it may or may not be a good or bad thing ether way... But my point being sadly... If they have made there minds up about it one way or the other no amount of angery fans well sway them from there decision...

There a company that thinks they know what the fans want more then the fans themselves do... It's a hit or miss strategy that they've used sense the beginning...

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
wow some1 actually replied to you...
Yea...

they said they were sorry, but they actually had no idea if online play would be implemented into brawl... :(

but then after that, they started advertising stuff about nintendo...>:(

like, they said that the easiest way for me 2 find out if brawl would b online or not is 2 buy like a subscription or sum shiz...

But yea, Nintendo of America has no idea. that's helpful.

Level 9

Smash Apprentice
Yea...

they said they were sorry, but they actually had no idea if online play would be implemented into brawl... :(

but then after that, they started advertising stuff about nintendo...>:(

like, they said that the easiest way for me 2 find out if brawl would b online or not is 2 buy like a subscription or sum shiz...

But yea, Nintendo of America has no idea. that's helpful.
Not to sound in any way as though I doubt the worth of your word but do you think you could post a picture of this email?... You know... So we could have something to see for ourselves...?

I would just like to read how they worded it... That's all...

hectichobo

Smash Ace
if theres no online... i may not buy a Wii... For people who buy Wii's just for brawl.. And theres no online... There gonna lose billions...

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
Not to sound in any way as though I doubt the worth of your word but do you think you could post a picture of this email?... You know... So we could have something to see for ourselves...?

I would just like to read how they worded it... That's all...
I'm sorry, but I deleted it...:(

I wuz clearing out my inbox and accidently did... Now I regret doing so so very much...

You don't gotta believe me, but they said basically they didn't know what sakurai's plan's were for online... I'll check my inbox 2 see if it's still ther though, mayb it is...

Sorry if it isn't though...:( i feel like a *******

Revven

FrankerZ
Nintendo Power has mentioned Brawl's online in their latest issue as well. They have said it hasn't been confirmed or denied to their knowledge.

1. NP hasn’t heard any confirmation/denial of online for Brawl

Click here for source

It seems that some of your e-mails caused them to say that in this issue. Congrats, Nintendo knows about you guys. At least, NP does. :p

Crocop's Left Leg

Smash Rookie

Message(#6851-000600-9349\6009349)

Hi,

I'm not sure who you're referring to when you say that Super Smash Bros Brawl
was originally planned to be an online game. I don't recall Nintendo ever
suggesting that it was going to an online game. However, no one has ever said
that it isn't going to be. It's simply a topic that hasn't been officially
discussed regarding this game.

The latest information that we have about Super Smash Bros Brawl is found on the
official web site at www.smashbros.com New information is being added every
weekday.

Nintendo of America Inc.
Mike Chandler

thats the reply i got. i think the thing i said in my email to them was that it would be a huge mistake not to put online in like it was originally planned.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
I said that kind of stuff in my e-mail to them. I said if they were wishing to compete with game slike Halo 3, online capabilities would be very helpful...
And some other stuff...
And Crocop's, you're reply was different than mine, but they basically said the same thing...
No one knows except for Sakurai and the team if this will end up being online capable. Lol.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
I'm back. Miss me?

Hey, uh, where do you sign? Jaz did, apparently, and I want to, too.
If you still want to know, just click on the link and go to where it says "sign petition". Then fill out the appropriate information.

Are you guys still going to do your petition?

Yeah, a couple of people have pointed that out - but it's little comfort. Plans change, and if online is still in the works we had better hear about it soon.

below:

Nintendo of America Inc.
Bruce Mann

Wow. He basically danced around your question, didn't he oxyborb. Not very reassuring...

E-mail to Nintendo, $0.
Signature on a petiton $0
One digg, $0

Brawl with online, priceless. (actually $50)
:laugh: Well said.

Actually it would be pretty funny if the game won't be online. :p Sad part is that all fans will buy the game even if its offline, nintendo knows that, so why make the effort to make it online. Believe me its not easy to make a fighting game online without lagg. If its delay during the games, its no use to play online anyway.
Can someone name a couple of console fighting games that are online?
Are fighting games really that much more complex than FPSs like Metroid Prime Hunters or Sports games like Mario Strikers Charged? That doesn't make sense to me. As for online fighting games, Tekkan 5 on 360 and Soul calibur VI are noth supposed to support online.

did anyone else get a reply from there e-mail? It said they honestly don't know whether it will be online or not.
Not me, oddly enough.

Aww, man, now I'm worried. You would expect Nintendo to use this game's online play as leverage wouldn't you? I mean, they did it at E3 before, right?

In the past though, have any major promises Nintendo has made ever been broken? Release dates aside I mean. We all know they don't usually mean anything. But Brawl was/is Nintendo's main online title. They used this game to show that they had online down, that a new wind was blowing and all that. Plus, this has been in development for one helluva long time. The game was originally slated for release with the console, but pushed back. Years. Why? Maybe it was to give us a better game, possibly including online play.

Really, these shenanigans remind me of the prerelease times of Twilight Princess. Nintendo promised that game, and promised it, and promised again, with the date being pushed back repeatedly. IMO, that game was a masterpiece, and hopefully Brawl will be too. All signs point to yes.

I'll still sign the petition though. :p
You're absolutley right Truce. But with Nintendo making a mint off of simple multiplayer games like Wii Sports, they may have decided that they don't need online. Let's hope that they don't abandon their hardcore fans by releasing a sub-par Brawl.

(To any who may care about my input)

I don't know if I have or haven't said anything along the these lines yet, let alone if anyone else has already beat me to it... (I looked the best I could)

But to the best I can figure... The ONLY thing I can really see from keeping Brawl going online is if it's not wi-fi friendly...

I can't imagine it not being able to go online at all... (Provided they where at least trying to make it online capable in the first place)

But if it just can't seam to make the grade for there wi-fi standards well... That would probably look not to good for there marketing division to have a online title that most would look at as the game to judge nintendos online strategy by...

A online game that requires the player to invest in a Wii LAN Adaptor as well as a higher then average class online speed from there ISP's...

Not that they couldn't do that just to have it as an option...

But that kinda go's against there current pro wi-fi campaign... Differing from there current strategy is something nintendo has almost NEVER done... In fact that's why the N64 used cartridges instead of CD's, And why the DS has two screens...

More or less on that note it may or may not be a good or bad thing ether way... But my point being sadly... If they have made there minds up about it one way or the other no amount of angery fans well sway them from there decision...

There a company that thinks they know what the fans want more then the fans themselves do... It's a hit or miss strategy that they've used sense the beginning...
You make a strong point, but with games like Mario Strikers and Bataleon Wars online - it would be pretty disagraceful if the game was COMPLETELY devoid of online. At any rate, Brawl would be the perfect way to get Wii owners to buy a Wi-fi adapter, and with that comes more Virtual Console sales. Basically, it makes perfect sense all around to include at least a BASIC online mode. Maybe we can't sway their decision, but we can try...

Nintendo Power has mentioned Brawl's online in their latest issue as well. They have said it hasn't been confirmed or denied to their knowledge.

1. NP hasn’t heard any confirmation/denial of online for Brawl

Click here for source

It seems that some of your e-mails caused them to say that in this issue. Congrats, Nintendo knows about you guys. At least, NP does. :p
Thanks for the update. I'm interested to see if this is in direct responce to one of our emails...

Once someone gets the next issue (or finds a link to the appropriate article) please let us know.

Message(#6851-000600-9349\6009349)

Hi,

I'm not sure who you're referring to when you say that Super Smash Bros Brawl
was originally planned to be an online game. I don't recall Nintendo ever
suggesting that it was going to an online game. However, no one has ever said
that it isn't going to be. It's simply a topic that hasn't been officially
discussed regarding this game.

The latest information that we have about Super Smash Bros Brawl is found on the
official web site at www.smashbros.com New information is being added every
weekday.

Nintendo of America Inc.
Mike Chandler

thats the reply i got. i think the thing i said in my email to them was that it would be a huge mistake not to put online in like it was originally planned.
Clearly, Mr. Chandler hasn't read Sakurai's IGn interview...

Thanks for sharing that Crocop's Left Leg (if that is your real name... ;))

So when you do you guys think we'll get information about Brawl's online capabilities?
If there ARE online capabilities, my guess is the next few weeks (at that game conferance in Germany or TGS). If there aren't any, then never. :(

I said that kind of stuff in my e-mail to them. I said if they were wishing to compete with game slike Halo 3, online capabilities would be very helpful...
And some other stuff...
And Crocop's, you're reply was different than mine, but they basically said the same thing...
No one knows except for Sakurai and the team if this will end up being online capable. Lol.
ANd if they DO know, they aren't talking. Hopefully Sakurai will clear this up soon.

Level 9

Smash Apprentice
You make a strong point, but with games like Mario Strikers and Bataleon Wars online - it would be pretty disagraceful if the game was COMPLETELY devoid of online. At any rate, Brawl would be the perfect way to get Wii owners to buy a Wi-fi adapter, and with that comes more Virtual Console sales. Basically, it makes perfect sense all around to include at least a BASIC online mode. Maybe we can't sway their decision, but we can try...
Apparently I was indeed too sleepy when I wrote that post...

Understandabley You didn't seem to get what I was aiming at... (I really wasn't that clear... Sorry)

What I was suggesting is there might be the possibly that they can't fine-tune the game well enough to work at decent speeds over wi-fi... (Which is kinda there "thing" right now)

As you pointed out nintendo has already done quite remarkablely well with games like mario strikers charged vala wi-fi... Which would make it seem quite likely that they could pull off putting Brawl online by comparison...

But even in that case as hectic as the game play might seem, in my experience with MSC during an intense match, At best each of four players is only performing 2-3 moves at a time & not in rapid successon... And even then with all players connected over a four star connecton you still start to see some lag...

Smash tends to get quite a bit more hectic then that & it even normally stays at around that 2-3 inputs at a time... Only in smash's case it's in rapid successon...

I really do think it COULD be online... But I truly doubt it would work even half decent over the slower and somewhat staticy nature of wi-fi...

I don't even think it would work that well over the LAN adaptors constant speed without a considerablely fast ISP...

This would mean the game would need to be HEAVILY dumbed down in order to work well online for the mass's... Nintendo normally has a problem with doing things like that on there biger projects...

Mandalore

Smash Apprentice
I don't think online play would matter much to me. I would think that the game would become too laggy to do some basic moves like Captain Falcon's knee or some of the character's spikes.

Or maybe I'm just mad about online because I can't unlock the port that the Wii plays on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom