• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashers and their significant others.

Get Low

Smash Ace
What does your girlfriend/boyfriend/wife/husband or whatever think of your involvement in competitive smash? Do they think it's cool? Stupid? Don't care? Or perhaps they play smash competitively too.

I'm just curious. Sadly, during the five or so months that I've been attending tounaments, I've been single the whole time. :(

D

Deleted member

When I did Smash competitively, my wife never even knew I did it. I'd always say I was going to meet friends somewhere.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
I never have/will play competitive smash, but I really doubt they would care, to be honest. It is just having fun entertaining yourself.

rhan

Smash Hero
She plays Smash casually. lol She hasn't been to any smash tourneys cuz I don't like most of you guys (<3) but she's been to a couple Starcraft 2 tourneys with me to support me as I play. It's rather calming when she's around though.

She doesn't mind me playing video games in such a competitive way. I want to believe she realises that it's better then most things out there that I could be caught up in.

And just to further my reasoning behind her not going to a Smash event:

Some smashers are rather rude and/or ****s. Not all of you but you know those douchebag players out there. That'll be rude, loud, perverted, etc. I wouldn't want to bring her around all that. Plus I wouldn't want to have to fight someone because of something that'd happen to her. But the Starcraft community is filled with friendly people and usually are well mannered/mature. Even the trash talk isn't as harsh as it could be. It's more in a friendly manner. So it's definitely a nicer enviornment then the SSB community.

I still love you guys though. <3

Staz

Smash Lord
haha the funny thing is I met my girlfriend at a smash tournament ^.^ She supports me 100% I practice with her alot and we hope to host a tournament sooner or later.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
My girlfriend left me for playing competitive Smash so I turned to men.

obv

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
My boyfriend was the person who got me to start attending tournaments a while before we started dating.
Uhm...I get lectured a lot on how to improve my game xD; 'Stop doing that. Don't do that. Use that attack more.' We actually spend a good amount of time playing Brawl when we hang out.

Get Low

Smash Ace
My boyfriend was the person who got me to start attending tournaments a while before we started dating.
Uhm...I get lectured a lot on how to improve my game xD; 'Stop doing that. Don't do that. Use that attack more.' We actually spend a good amount of time playing Brawl when we hang out.
Out of curiosity, who is your boyfriend? I might know who he is since we're both from northeast Ohio.

Staz

Smash Lord

Ooohhh the critique type of boyfriend eh?

that's cool.

you guys will do AMAZING THINGS TOGETHER,
do you guys team up in doubles?

Staz

Smash Lord
I main falco and still use in him teams, but It could be..."ehh" sometimes. I usually get 2nd or 1st depending on who I team with.

this saturday is the first time I am teaming with my LOVER wish me luck guys, she's not that good BUT IT'S OKAY THE POWER OF LOVE WILL SAVE US.

she uses peach.

this should be fun.

Moon of the Strawberries

Smash Journeyman
Ironically my boyfriend and I met up while playing Smash 64. We're both really into video games, so I guess it all worked out in the end.
In the normal dispute between competitive play vs casual play, he's more on the casual side and plays more Brawl than Melee. He believes that if the game has items in it, you should play with them on the get the whole effect (and he believes wave-dashing is a cheat and is "taking advantage of a programming error"). I, on the other hand play more competitive Melee and Brawl. Even though i'll play Brawl with items on or off, he wants to only play when I have items on in Brawl. He doesn't play me in Melee anymore.

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
I main falco and still use in him teams, but It could be..."ehh" sometimes. I usually get 2nd or 1st depending on who I team with.

this saturday is the first time I am teaming with my LOVER wish me luck guys, she's not that good BUT IT'S OKAY THE POWER OF LOVE WILL SAVE US.

she uses peach.

this should be fun.
Quit trollin'

:troll:

t3h Icy

Smash Master
lol, why would it be embarrassing? I've only dated geeks and nerds and they've always thought it was awesome. Take pride in what you do!

I skipped on a date with one girl twice, once for an Apex 2010 livestream weekend, and then next weekend to go to a Brawl tournament 5 hours away. She turned out to be crazy so it worked out and Axe made it all worth it. :D

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
My parents gave me this look of disapproval due to lack of having a life since i had thought of living in the internet in the future.

Arle Nadja

Prodigy Sorceress & Girl Power Icon
NNID
ChaoticMarin
3DS FC
1547-5230-3937
Well, as I remember, my boyfriend loved Smash and thought it was hot that I was into it, until I humiliated him during and after matches. |D

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
my ex didn't appreciate that I had a passion for smash. she *****ed at me after every tournament I went to, saying I put video games above her.

she couldn't accept me for who I was, which is a person who loves gaming, and she wanted me to abandon my passion. so I dumped her

Anjila

Smash Cadet
My hubbo and I were into Smash before we even started dating, but were never competitive with it. We got into the competitive Brawl scene at the same time about 6 months ago and go to all of our state's tournaments together. We always team up whenever there's a Doubles side-tourney, and we usually do pretty well! He's a Yoshi main, I'm a Lucario main.

We always DREAD having to face each other in the Singles bracket. Luckily, in all the state tourneys we've been to, that hasn't happened yet!

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Seeding is designed to avoid that as much as possible. Chances are you'll both be destroying everyone in the bracket before you meet in Singles.

Get Low

Smash Ace
my ex didn't appreciate that I had a passion for smash. she *****ed at me after every tournament I went to, saying I put video games above her.

she couldn't accept me for who I was, which is a person who loves gaming, and she wanted me to abandon my passion. so I dumped her
Definitely the right decision.

Napos

Smash Ace
My GF never seemed to care about me playing Brawl until I recently started to play competitively. Reason being because it takes up a lot of my time now(New member since May! wooo!) I am sure she will come around and realize the love I have for this game and my ambition to improve and hang with the best of em.

Top Bottom