• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smasher slang - will "dumpstered" ever catch on?

When someone is being beaten really badly in a match, you'd probably say they're getting...

• Total voters

TobiasXK

Smash Ace
i actually have had a ton of little curiosities about slang adoption and innovation within gaming communities in general, but this is the one that i actually like so. hopefully, i'll get some answers here. and obviously, something like this is going to have a lot of representation across gaming communities, so it's not slang that Smashers invented by any means; i'm just interested in what slang Smashers use widely.

but for the poll, i'm just looking at one specific thing, anyways. i didn't want to make a big off-site survey, so the poll here is super basic, but i am sort of interested in regional demographics. so if you guys could post, as well, and just name your top 1 or 2 choices and the region you identify with (down to state is probably fine unless you consider there to be a significant division within your state like SoCal/NorCal), that would be awesome.

and for anyone who wants to elaborate more or have more of a discussion in here, feel free. i'd be super interested to know if whatever term you use here extends to other things like other video games or board games or just life in general, or if you mostly just use it when talking about Smash or Fighting Games. i'd also be interested in whether anyone's non-Smasher or even further non-gamer friends has adopted language from you that you associate generally with Smash/gaming—for instance, "no johns" is pretty standard lexicon for basically anyone who interacts with me at all, regardless of whether or not they're into Melee.

and yea, whatever else. as long as it's Smashsy and linguisticsy.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
It depends on which character is winning.

Spacies: Bodied
Sheik/ICs: Pooped on
Marth: Destroyed
Puff: Worked
Peach: Wrecked
Ganon/Falcon: Stomped

etc

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
All of the above.

At the very least, I go between bodied, *****, **** on, and destroyed. Maybe another term here and there.

kd-

Smash Lord
Scraped, taken, free, lit, ripT, bopped, on blast, on notice, and bs'd are all used pretty freely around me.

And for what it's worth, even if dumpstered doesn't catch on, I think it's pretty cool as Scar's thing anyway

Bones0

Smash Legend
Lack of "get your *** whooped" is disturbing.

The nostalgia of this gif just blew my mind. That thing must be like 10 years old by now...

TobiasXK

Smash Ace

The nostalgia of this gif just blew my mind. That thing must be like 10 years old by now...
i was such a noob i didn't even fastfall =/

exposed gurl

bodied makes me think of beyonce
but does anything really not make you think of beyonce? all roads lead to beyonce imo.

Hmm I usually go with destroyed or owned. It doesn't sound too bad.
omg, "owned" didn't even come to mind cos it's basically gone from my own lexicon. but yea, that is probably still pretty common.

"junked" is probably my favorite, but old habits die hard so i still mostly say "stomped" and "wrecked"

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
I think honestly saying "getting *****" is the most common one. I hear that a lot more (when we aren't being professional at a big tourney) than anything else

Getting junked is pretty funny though. But getting styled on is different than losing badly

Subrava

Smash Cadet
I thought dumpstered was only used when you get spiked, not necessarily when you're getting the crap kicked out of you.

JKJ

Smash Ace
I say "Getting smacked"
Or sometimes if I'm the one destroying my friend ill say "Suckas get smacked up"
From that song "Know the Ledge" by Rakim
Lol idk why it just kinda happened one day

Marthyboy88

Smash Cadet
Tobias! How's it going? We used to chat way back when GameFaqs was the most used SSBM forum (lol gamefaqs...)

I was just perusing this site out of nostalgia and saw your thread! I'm primarily playing League of Legends at the moment, but I wanted to tell you that SSBM slang has bled onto so many other games.

An example of this would be how many people use the phrase "Wombo Combo" in League of Legends when a huge AoE combo is performed between multiple team mates.

It's also ridiculous how many people say "That ain't Falco!" Most of them have no idea where it came from. They just know people say it and who Falco is in general.

Also, people DEFINITELY use "dumpstered" or "thrown into the dumpster" in League of Legends.

Anyways, it's awesome you're still playing SSBM! I need to dust off the ole' Gamecube/Wii and play some.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Wrecked, bodied, stomped, whomped, bopped, pilloried.

I'm from NC.

TobiasXK

Smash Ace
Tobias! How's it going? We used to chat way back when GameFaqs was the most used SSBM forum (lol gamefaqs...)

I was just perusing this site out of nostalgia and saw your thread! I'm primarily playing League of Legends at the moment, but I wanted to tell you that SSBM slang has bled onto so many other games.

An example of this would be how many people use the phrase "Wombo Combo" in League of Legends when a huge AoE combo is performed between multiple team mates.

It's also ridiculous how many people say "That ain't Falco!" Most of them have no idea where it came from. They just know people say it and who Falco is in general.

Also, people DEFINITELY use "dumpstered" or "thrown into the dumpster" in League of Legends.

Anyways, it's awesome you're still playing SSBM! I need to dust off the ole' Gamecube/Wii and play some.

hey man! yea; i still pop by gamefaqs on occasion. i kinda just started getting back into Melee around March or so. pre/post-EVO hype

and yea, it's awesome how widespread "wombo combo" got; i've even seen it in like Quake Live on full-team lightning gun kills and stuff (get ghostbustered, cross the beamz) and in a video review of some boardgame; i don't remember which though.

Top Bottom