• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashCAP 2: Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
[SmashCAP 2]
Start date: 1/30/10
End date:--/--/--
Concept: Type Representation
Typing: Grass / Ghost

Ability: Shield Dust / Immunity

Artwork time! Discuss / post any of your ideas of what SmashCAP 2 should look like. Keep in mind the typing (Grass / Ghost) and main ability (Shield Dust).

The first thing I can think of is a plant pixie-esque creature.

All global rules apply, please do remember that. :)

-Terywj

Riddle

Smash Lord
Dead tree seems kinda obvious. But the pixie makes more sense with shield dust. I think its gotta be really slow looking and look to have some kind of bulk but not too much physical power.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
a spirit of the woods guys come on. Seriously, it could look way ****ed up don't be so simplistic. Make something way ****ed up, like this

or

Grass ghost is a WONDERFUL opportunity for the devishly creative. DON'T WAIST IT ON DEAD TREE OR WEEDS.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
My stat spread revolves around being a dead tree or some **** like that.

So thats where thats going right now IMO.

Moozle

Smash Champion
I've been trying to think of something other than a dead plant, because im with CRASHIC that this should be creative and out there.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Well, we ****ed up the art last time and made some art that doesn't reflect the stat spread in any way/shape/form.

So pretty much, this time, we make the spread first, THEN art.

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
Art is not my area of expertise, so I am no help here besides complimenting others' work.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
Since my drawing skill is absolute balls, the best I can do is give you guys a concept.

First, the basis. I should say that I hadn't exactly gone through all the channels to find this thing, since all I had to do was search "ghost plant" in wikipedia loooool. This is Monotropa uniflora, also known as the "ghost plant":

Here's a different angle:

The ghost plant lives in the dark and doesn't use chlorophyll (which would have worked quite nicely with the dark-sun abilities, but meh), but instead takes the energy from fungi who take THEIR energy from trees. So in a way, the ghost plant is "possessing" the fungus. A bit of a stretch, but it doesn't have to make complete sense.

This thing would also mesh well with the chosen abilities, since it shares a relationship with fungi, which produce spores (creating a protective "layer" or "shield" of dust-like spores), which is essentially what Shield Dust is. Also, its white colouring make it seem too "pure" to be effected by poisoning. You could also spin it the other way and say that its purity make it highly susceptible to poisoning, but since the other two Pokemon who have this ability are white in colouring for the most part, I think my reasoning is more justifiable.

Speaking of colouring, the ghost plant can also be found in a rare red colour, so we've got our shiny colouring ready made. Here:

Now for the application. First off, we could easily use the simple/unoriginal idea of slapping some eyes on it and making it into a serpent plant thing, but not only would that not comply with the ghost typing, it would also ignore the defensive direction we're taking with this Pokemon. The best options available to us would be to either change its form (similar to how Roselia is basically a woman with rose-like parts), or combine it with something else (i.e some kind of fungi). The latter works especially well, since the ghost plant has to "combine" with another life form in order to survive.

For example, we can use some of the ideas already suggested in the thread. We could merge it with the dead tree, since the ghost plant essentially lives off trees in real life anyway, simply using the fungi as an intermediate (although it is a DEAD tree...that could use some reworking lol). Or we could combine it with the giant blue thing CRASHiC posted, replacing the tentacle-like appendages on its body with the plant.

If we want to combine it with a fungus and keep with the zoology, we should use fungus of the family Russulaceae, since that's what it lives off of. Otherwise, I'd say this plant can combine with just about anything. A white dog with 3 ghost plants for tails, a forest spirit with ghost plants for horns/antenna/extra appendages, etc.

Moozle

Smash Champion
but instead takes the energy from fungi who take THEIR energy from trees. So in a way, the ghost plant is "possessing" the fungus. A bit of a stretch, but it doesn't have to make complete sense.
This might sound really weird, but I guess that's what I'm going for. When I read this I imagined a pixie like thing (small), kind of like we've mentioned before, using those "ghost plants" (first picture) like puppet strings. I can't really think of what it would connect to, but it's still an interesting idea. A small pixie with those ghost plants draping off it would also be cool looking. I kind of imagine these trees when i think of a ghost/grass pokemon:

I'm going to be doodling a lot tomorrow in school :p

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I'll try to think of something. I haven't really been a part of SCAP2 yet, though I'm surprised it's main ability is Shield Dust and it's grass ghost not bug ghost since every prior Shield Dust Pokemon has been bug.

edit:

here's something i whipped up at work. not the best of quality using a tiny notepad to draw it, my camera phone to take the pic, and ms paint to touch it up lol

i got the idea from the forest sage guy in wind waker and made him look a lil more evil, like most ghosts are lol. kind of makes him look like a spirit of sorts, and i gave him a cool ghostly cloak deal. esp if the stats end up being in favor of magic and less on the physical side of thigns, it makes more sense.

http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae269/ChiboSempai/design.jpg

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I like the ideas presented by Chibo and actually everyone else. xD

It'll all come down to who is the better artist.

However I agree with UTiltMario. Art will be "finalized" after stat spreads are.

-Terywj

IC3R

Smash Lord
Well, Chibo's representation was unexpected, but very likeable.

It reminds me of Makar...

EDIT:: Ninja edit xD

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Hey, how about an Anemone. Anemone's are rather dark looking flowers and they mean "abandonment of hope" at the very least, I don't think this should like very plant like at all. Nearly all ghost pokemon have a very abstract feel to them, despite their second typing.

IC3R

Smash Lord
Gengar is like the bogeyman, inducing fear and letting it spread like poison.
Shedinja is a hollow or discarded shell of an insect.
Froslass is a youkai (snow demon).

While abstract, they all share some characteristic that allows the dual-typing to make sense.

@ below posts:
How the hell did I forget all of them? O__O

Been a long day at work ~____~ Both of them...

Riddle

Smash Lord
Rotom, Spiritomb, Sableye, Giratina, and Drifblim are all Dual-type ghosts. I don't know where you came up with that information.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I agree, Drifblim, Rotom, Sableye, Spiritomb, and Giratina are not Ghosts.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
Rotom... (well, this is what Riddle originally said)
Don't forget about Rotom, Drifloon, Giratina, Sableye, and Spiritomb!!
I agree, Drifblim, Rotom, Sableye, Spiritomb, and Giratina are not Ghosts.
Lol, triple hivemind? Well, Riddle's (original) post doesn't really count, but...

I know I already used this idea in the SWF-Dex (and I've seen it around the net, too), but what if we made a jack-o-lantern Pokemon? It's a plant, and the Halloween/spooky aspect to it makes easy connections to ghosts and spirits. Its usually connected to Fire, but I guess this is a chance to be unique?

Also, its bulkiness fits with our stat spread's direction, and the status moves (i.e. Will-o-Wisp, Sleep Powder) work with the concept as well. The only problem is that neither of the abilities work very well. Meh, just an idea.

IC3R

Smash Lord
I'm sure I can BS something for all of them :laugh:

Drifblim - When spotted, then have a tendency to vanish into thin air. Ghosts are known for remaining unseen.
Rotom - Possesses electronic equipment. Ghosts are known for possessing household object.
Sableye - Lives in deep dark caves. Should have been Ghost/Rock or Dark/Rock, but whatever...
Spiritomb - It did some naughty naughty things 500 years ago. Sounds pretty dark...
Giratina - It's a legendary. Who cares? :laugh:

I think I'm just gonna go back to lurking forever again......see ya.

Mewter

Smash Master
Here's some quick concepts that I drew up with inspiration from Sir Bedevere's flowers:

I was actually thinking of adding some dark splotches in some places too.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
I wasn't planning on getting involved in this one, but....

I had to. I based it off of that ghost plant someone posted a page or two ago.

Actually, I have a ton of these growing in my back yard. In New Hampshire, they're called 'Indian Pipes.'

I wanted to go with a grim reaper kind of look, but it turned into a hungry-zombie-plant-thing. Eh. It's a first draft.

Mewter

Smash Master
looks a bit much like a grass type frosslass...
I don't even see how it remotely looks grass type with the current color scheme going. But yeah, it looks like a fusion of Frosslass and Shedinja with tree roots/branches.
I wasn't planning on getting involved in this one, but....

[Bigpicture]

I had to. I based it off of that ghost plant someone posted a page or two ago.

Actually, I have a ton of these growing in my back yard. In New Hampshire, they're called 'Indian Pipes.'

I wanted to go with a grim reaper kind of look, but it turned into a hungry-zombie-plant-thing. Eh. It's a first draft.
That looks good. It reminds me kind of one of those Dead Hands from Zelda! :bee:

Edit: How is this?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
oddly reminds me of togetic.

On lots and lots of crack.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I like Mewters idea a bit. Not so much the deadly plant or something idk. Its a good idea but it doesn't look like a pokemon. Actually I don't even know if mine looks too much like a pkmn lol, but mewters does at least.

a jack o lantern was actually my second option after the thing i made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom