• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Rulesets

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
Today we welcome another section to Smashboards in the form of rulesets!

This section will be a living location for tournament organizers to easily grab the most common rulesets and players to find them. Major events with differentiating rulesets will be listed here as well when applicable. MLG Anaheim for example will be using the standard Melee ruleset, which is what is listed here on Smashboards now!

Project M tends to have wildly changing stagelists, so the ruleset there currently includes the typical 'Bottom two rows' stagelist, and a slightly more conservative list that removes Pokemon Stadium 1 and Skyloft.

Know a common ruleset that would benefit from being a part of this system? Get in touch with me on Smashboards or Twitter!

We hope this feature helps organizers and players alike to easily find this information.

Last edited:

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
I'm glad this is up now. Sometimes it comes to be a real pain for TOs to find rulesets that were used at EVO and Apex. Good add-on

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
This is cool for the most part, except for the Project M stagelists, there's no reason PS1 should be legal, and there's no reason Metal Cavern, Norfair, and Dracula's Castle shouldn't be. Also there's no reason Distant Planet shouldn't be legal in singles that stage is smaller than PS2 and FD.

Tero.

Smash Champion
Wow, the Melee Ruleset is missing a LOT of things.

Bazkip

Smash Master
PM Rules said:
Players take turns removing stages from the Neutral Stages list above based upon the results of the previous rule. The first player to strike removes one(1) stage from the list, the second player removes two(2), and the first player then chooses from the remaining two(2) stages.
TIL 7 - 3 = 2

AKA remember to always double check when you copy paste :p

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
This is cool for the most part, except for the Project M stagelists, there's no reason PS1 should be legal, and there's no reason Metal Cavern, Norfair, and Dracula's Castle shouldn't be. Also there's no reason Distant Planet shouldn't be legal in singles that stage is smaller than PS2 and FD.
And this is why standardized rulesets get us in so much trouble.
Everyone has an opinion on what should and shouldn't be legal.

My question to you Warchamp, where is the justification for a certain ruleset over another? Is it simply the popularity of a ruleset? Will they be organized by region? Will there be an item ruleset and a no item ruleset?

This new section will ultimately determine future rulesets (specifically Smash Wii U / 3DS) as TOs will use this as a reference and may not be as willing to venture out to try new rules/items/stagelists. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Gladiator

Smash Apprentice
I'd just like to point out that the Project M stage striking is messed up. It has the same striking as melee (the first player to strike removes one stage from the list, the second player removes two, and the first player then chooses from the remaining two). With this striking, there are only 5 stages, as in melee's case, but there are 8 neutral PM stages so this doesn't work.

TL;DR Fix the PM stage striking procedure.

Last edited:

YorKeY

Smash Cadet

Last edited:

TopTierPichu

Smash Ace
wow this is pretty useful thanks, now I know which stages to turn off in order to practice :)

Also will we ever see Tapatalk function return to the forums?

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Yeah, these are meant to be as a quick guideline for TOs to reference and edit as they see fit for their communities; not a be-all, end-all of rulesets.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
I see the rulesets are using Dave's Stupid Rule instead of the modified one, is this still a thing? I got the impression that most have gone over to the modified rule(can't cp the last stage you won on).

Also, in Brawl, Frigate and Delfino are still used as counterpicks in plenty of areas.(Screw the haters, Frigate is not a polarizing stage)

In Melee it should be added that Fountain of Dreams is banned during doubles, and that PS1 takes its place as a starter.

Last edited:

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
I think Yoshi's Story is the one that gets replaced by PS1.
Fountain of Dreams lags when there are 4 players. Yoshi's Story is still legal unless there have been some seriously recent and underground changes I'm not aware of

You sure you're not mixing up PM into this?

Last edited:

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Yeah, these are meant to be as a quick guideline for TOs to reference and edit as they see fit for their communities; not a be-all, end-all of rulesets.
But with the rulesets being as detailed as they are, do you think TOs will actually edit them? Or will they just link all the entrants to the site?

Clocked

Smash Apprentice
Fountain of Dreams lags when there are 4 players. Yoshi's Story is still legal unless there have been some seriously recent and underground changes I'm not aware of

You sure you're not mixing up PM into this?
I'm mixing up PM rules and Melee rules again.

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
I see the rulesets are using Dave's Stupid Rule instead of the modified one, is this still a thing? I got the impression that most have gone over to the modified rule(can't cp the last stage you won on).
Oversight on my part, they should be the modified version

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
There should probably be a mention of Master Hand and Giga Bowser being banned in Melee and Project M respectively.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I like all of these you mentioned, except for Dracula's Castle. Too many platforms, too close together.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I am going to carry an SD card around with me with a custom stage called "Battleship Halberd". It'll be 4 ice block with walls built up for anti gimping with no ledges.

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
very great addition to the boards. With smash4 coming out this will be needed. Plus with the way PM is evolving this is going to prove very helpful. Plus now that brawl is testing the whole 1 stock format this could not have come at a better time.

I'd simply like to say that we should replace pokemon stadium 1 with metal cavern in PM singles as a counter pick and norfair, dracula's castle and rumble falls should be added to doubles as a counter picks as well.

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
Why people still don't accept Norfair as tournament legal is completely baffling to me.

Dracula's castle would be a fine stage if they remove the bulky pillar models from the front of the stage that block the camera's view of the walls.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
@ Warchamp7 Warchamp7 Please let me edit the Melee ruleset lol. It's missing so much stuff. And also, don't listen to any of the uninformed people replying to this thread >_>

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I like all of these you mentioned, except for Dracula's Castle. Too many platforms, too close together.
That argument makes no sense the platforms are constantly moving and at times can be pretty far apart.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
A non-MK option should be added for Brawl.
I mean, it's a thing and happens in some regions and should be noted that it's still an important option.

@ Warchamp7 Warchamp7 Please let me edit the Melee ruleset lol. It's missing so much stuff. And also, don't listen to any of the uninformed people replying to this thread >_>
One must beware of the uninformed. That 'juggleguy' especially seems a bit sketchy. I would be wary of his opinion him if I were you warchamp. You can never be too sure who real the authority is on rulesets. A single person in this one region or the collective whole of many opinions or maybe neither lol

But, my response is meant to be in good humor.

Last edited:

Kipcom

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kipcom
3DS FC
4725-7977-1418
The only ruleset you should ever need for any SSB after SSB64...

"NO ITEMS. FOX ONLY. FINAL DESTINATION."

Top Bottom