• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Roster Creation Contest: Round 17: Swampasaur vs. Guybrush20X6

Status
Not open for further replies.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Yeah, are we allowed to change our roster since... y'know... The Anti-Fungus Act of September 13th, 2013?

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
K so server crash and Peach confirmation means two things.

1. The present round will end on 11:59 (Midnight) on Wednesday, September 18th.

2. Anyone not in the current round has until the above date to submit a changed roster. Angelglory and Wariofan can submit a changed roster after that date.

Also Welcome Back.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Uh... I can't actually update the contest until Saturday. I'm on vacation and I have lots of limits on what I can do sorry...

Starbound

Okay then.

Round ends/begins on Saturday then and all dates are shifted to Saturday at the same time.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Awesome, I'll get to show off my new roster slots and designs and whatnot!
...But isn't this a little unfair to the four previous rosters we voted on?

Groose

Smash Champion
Awesome, I'll get to show off my new roster slots and designs and whatnot!
...But isn't this a little unfair to the four previous rosters we voted on?

I canst speak not for the others, but I really don't care. I'll just wait until the next competition!

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211

Roster changed. Toad becomes Bowser Junior. Toad still should be in, but others are skeptical.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Welp I'm still changing mine. It wasn't public before so you won't know the changes are sosneaky
Starting Roster

Completed Roster

Every character are where they are for a reason, so see if you can guess why they're where they are.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I used the anti-fungus act to make a complete different roster. Everything was shaken because no Toad meant pokemon's reps had to go down (Because Pokemon should not have more reps than Pokemon, which meant I need another generation besides Gen 1, and a few other changes.
My Roster Roster.png

45 characters, with two transformation characters (Samus and Pokemon Trainer)
All newcomers have a green outline.
Explanations below:

Newcomers:
Dixie Kong: Dixie is chosen over K. Rool due to being planned in Brawl and easier to design (based of Diddy Kong, but not a clone).
Young Link (new version): Young Link (classic art style) is chosen due to the release of ALBW. One of the last characters added. Shares Toon Link's moveset.
Palutena: Palutena is added due to the prominence of KI in the initial reveal and its increase in status as a Nintendo franchise. Pit has a new Final Smash.
Little Mac: Little Mac is a new home console franchise representative. Little Mac is the most deserved character, especially with his Wii revival.
Lucina: Lucina is selected by IS suggestion as their character from Awakening, due to her prominence on the cover in releases such as the soundtrack and artbook. She is also possible more popular with the FE: Awakening fanbase, as the second most requested cosplayer in Japan. There are no official polls, but being with the Serenes Forest community, that feels like the case. She also was recently crowned champion of SF's FE:A Character Contest.
Takamaru: Takamaru is the retro rep chosen due to his connection to Nintendo EAD with a new redesign.
Mach Rider: Mach Rider is another retro rep chosen due to his awesomeness and Sakurai's love of his game, with a new redesign.
Lip: Lip is chosen due to rep puzzle gaming with a new redesign.
Matthew: Matthew is picked as a portable console franchise representative. He is from one of Nintendo's best selling non-represented franchises. Picked over Isaac because he is a snazzy dresser (according Arteen) and because Matthew is from the previous generation. To tell you the truth, I find Isaac and Matthew more less interchangeable.
Pokemon Trainer (new version): Kalos Trainer is referred to as Pokemon Trainer. Can be changed to male or female via the select screen. Pokemon are the Kalos Starters: Chespin (grass) is the 1st evolution Pokemon. Frogadier (water) is the 2nd evolution Pokemon. Fennekin's 3rd Evolution is the final pokemon (the fire type), and has not yet been revealed. Pictured is the second evolution Braixen. Shares many moves with the Kanto Starters with their respective types predecessors. I really do believe that the Pokemon Company values other generations being represented other generation 1. Generation 6 will be over a year old by the time Smash 4 is probably released.
Mega Man: Already revealed
Wii Fit Trainer: Already revealed
Villager: Already revealed

Returning Veteran:
Mewtwo: Mewtwo is chosen because of popularity as well as prominence in Generation 6. Mega Forms are his Final Smash. Mega Form X is triggered if the player holds down while in the Mega Evolution state, and Mega Form Y is triggered if the player holds up while in the Mega Evolution state. If neither action is done, the X Form comes out.

Cuts: Lucas(The removal of Dr. Mario proved that a cut does not mean your series gets a new rep), Toon Link, Lucario
My roster leaves out popular choices such as Ridley and King K. Rool. But I don't believe popularity is the sole deciding factor, and weighed other factors over their inclusion. The Ridley decision was in part based on the Pyrosphere stage. But I have left him off the roster previously. I try my best to make a roster that might happen, rather than just put the popular choices. Because we have been wrong before.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
May as well take the opportunity to publicly post my roster. No edit from my initially submitted roster since I didn't include Toad.

CompetitionRoster.png

49 Characters - Based on how previous rosters have grown, adding fourteen characters with only one new transformation (Mega Mewtwo would be a Final Smash), while perhaps overly optimistic, feels very plausible.
No Cuts - See this post. Basically, Brawl's roster is so good that no cuts actually feels likely.
Mewtwo Returns - As the popular speculation goes, Mewtwo returning from Melee seems practically inevitable, with Mega Mewtwo being an epic final smash candidate.

Little Mac, Pac-Man, Mii - Though months since E3 with no newcomer reveals has shaken my faith in the "leak" somewhat, it still seems like such a likely list for a second batch of newcomer trailers that I'm comfortable including them on my roster.
Ridley - The most popular newcomer request from the West, and Sakurai's line of teasing screenshots of Pyrosphere without actually confirming/denying Ridley is affirming my belief his reveal is just a matter of time.
Dixie Kong - Given recent success from the franchise, a third Donkey Kong rep feels likely, and while popular demand is for K. Rool, I'm hedging my bets on Dixie for being a protagonist in the latest game, being part of the forbidden seven, and for also being a very popular fan choice.
Paper Mario - With Pokemon going up to five reps, Mario practically needs a fifth to match, and though there are some minor characters like Bowser Jr. and Toad to consider, I think Sakurai will pull a Toon Link and include the second most famous iteration of Mario, perhaps using a unique moveset from the Paper games or other Mario RPGs.
Toon Zelda/Tetra - Like with Mario, Zelda should move up to five reps to match Pokemon, and as a part of the forbidden seven and a natural complement to Toon Link, I think we'll see the very popular Tetra appear as a transformation of a semi-clone Toon Zelda.
Lucina - Fire Emblem almost certainly deserves a third rep, and the massively successful Awakening is the natural target for that character. Chrom would just be another male, blue-haired lord; meanwhile, Lucina is just as iconic to the game, is incredibly popular, and brings more diversity to the roster. When Sakurai asks IS for a third FE character, I think Lucina ends up being the pick.
Isaac - From an unrepped franchise, has remained a top fan choice for a long time, has tons of moveset potential, and has been around much longer than similar candidate Shulk. Little Mac may the most likely Assist Trophy to be upgraded to playability, but Isaac is a solid second.
Saki - My (admittedly unconventional) retro pick. The game is 13 years old, we already know Sakurai is a fan, and he would bring a very unique moveset. Takamaru, on the other hand, is yet another swordsmen who only has age and a Nintendoland attraction on his side, which hardly seems like the lock many users make him out to be. In this case, I'd much rather take the risk on a neo-retro character that's already seen a full-blown modern revival with S&P2.

No King K. Rool - I don't think Donkey Kong will move up to four reps, and with Dixie Kong being the more likely inclusion in my eyes, he ends up missing the cut...again.
No Palutena - Kid Icarus may have had a successful revival with Uprising, and Pit being revealed in the first wave for SSB4 is a good sign for the franchise, but Sakurai has been known to shy away from adding his own characters in the past, and Uprising is just one game. Given that, I think Palutena ends up waiting for SSB5.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Updating my roster. Same characters, different placement/icons.

Also thank you AEM for being a really cool guy who does amazing stuff like these icons.

[collapse="Justification and whatnot"]
44 character slots
48 playable characters total

Top Row: Mario-universe group
2nd Row: Zelda series, Metroid series, Kirby series
3rd Row: Star Fox series, SSB64 Hidden-character group, Fire Emblem series, Olimar
4th Row: Pokemon series, Kid Icarus series, SSB4 Newcomer pair
Bottom Row: Retro-esque pair, Unexpected group, Third-Party group, Random

Zelda <-> Sheik
Samus <-> Zero Suit Samus
Squirtle <-> Ivysaur <-> Charizard

I wanted to go with a very realistic roster. Considering how we're expecting less newcomers this time than in previous Smash installments, I figured that 8 newcomers + Mewtwo would be the perfect amount. The only newcomers added are either already confirmed, very highly requested, or there to complete a series' representation, meaning that everything is bare-bones and to the point. This might make it come off as a little bland, given, but I believe it's definitely one of the better conservative rosters.

King K. Rool - Highly requested and completes Donkey Kong representation. Villain support and probably the most well-supported "underdog candidate".
Ridley - Highly requested and completes Metroid representation. Villain support and the most requested character not named Mewtwo, period.
Mewtwo - Very highly requested. The most requested character of all and a veteran in Melee that was planned to be in Brawl.
Palutena - Highly requested and completes Kid Icarus representation. Female support and one of the "newest" characters to get a surge of popularity thanks to Uprising.
Villager - Already confirmed.
Isaac - Highly requested and represents a new series. Probably the most expendable newcomer here on the list, but still consistently requested and very much warranted a spot in the roster.
Little Mac - Highly requested and represents a new series. There are already hints towards Little Mac being playable, and his Western support definitely has him on Sakurai's radar.
Wii Fit Trainer - Already confirmed.
Mega Man - Already confirmed.
[/collapse]

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Updating my roster. Same characters, different placement/icons.

Also thank you AEM for being a really cool guy who does amazing stuff like these icons.

[collapse="Justification and whatnot"]
44 character slots
48 playable characters total

Top Row: Mario-universe group
2nd Row: Zelda series, Metroid series, Kirby series
3rd Row: Star Fox series, SSB64 Hidden-character group, Fire Emblem series, Olimar
4th Row: Pokemon series, Kid Icarus series, SSB4 Newcomer pair
Bottom Row: Retro-esque pair, Unexpected group, Third-Party group, Random

Zelda <-> Sheik
Samus <-> Zero Suit Samus
Squirtle <-> Ivysaur <-> Charizard

I wanted to go with a very realistic roster. Considering how we're expecting less newcomers this time than in previous Smash installments, I figured that 8 newcomers + Mewtwo would be the perfect amount. The only newcomers added are either already confirmed, very highly requested, or there to complete a series' representation, meaning that everything is bare-bones and to the point. This might make it come off as a little bland, given, but I believe it's definitely one of the better conservative rosters.

King K. Rool - Highly requested and completes Donkey Kong representation. Villain support and probably the most well-supported "underdog candidate".
Ridley - Highly requested and completes Metroid representation. Villain support and the most requested character not named Mewtwo, period.
Mewtwo - Very highly requested. The most requested character of all and a veteran in Melee that was planned to be in Brawl.
Palutena - Highly requested and completes Kid Icarus representation. Female support and one of the "newest" characters to get a surge of popularity thanks to Uprising.
Villager - Already confirmed.
Isaac - Highly requested and represents a new series. Probably the most expendable newcomer here on the list, but still consistently requested and very much warranted a spot in the roster.
Little Mac - Highly requested and represents a new series. There are already hints towards Little Mac being playable, and his Western support definitely has him on Sakurai's radar.
Wii Fit Trainer - Already confirmed.
Mega Man - Already confirmed.
[/collapse]

wow what a marvelous bland roster
spiderman would be proud

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Doesn't matter, I'd vote for Ike + Lucina anyday anyways :p

Starbound

I don't have Keybladeguy's roster.

uhhh okay this is a problem

I'll PM and give him 48 hours to post it or we'll sub in someone else in his spot.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well.

I wonder how many people don't know about Smashboards being back.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
KeyBladeGuy's roster we re-PMed to us.

It is now up!

GET TO VOTING!!!

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I'm glad that KeyBladeGuy's roster has been found. I think I said this a month ago, but best of luck to KeyBladeGuy.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I like Keybladeguy's a lot better. Maybe it's the fact that it's a lot more unpredicatable and is basically THE fan service roster (except if you replace Kumatora w/Porky and add Bomberman instead of W. of Light, I'm instantly in love.) plus, Donbe and Hikari. I'm very proud of being able to promote those two :). Now if only somebody included Nintendog or Tamagon... :p

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
KeyBladeGuy's roster seems WAAAY too big and has too many third parties.

I went for Jaytalks.

Luigi160

Smash Cadet
KeyBladeGuy's has too many third party and retro characters.

Had to go with Jaytalks. My only problems with it would be Lip, Mach Rider, and Matthew over Isaac.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
To many characters from KeyBladeGuy's it seem he only went for the popular choices and pick some obscure characters mix them and forget about cuts. Jaytalks have a more conservative roster some the choices seem interesting a part from that not much competition for me in who to pick.
.n_n.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Dear lord. Ok, going with Jaytalks.

Seriously KeyBladeGuy ... I'm sorry, but you add a heckton of characters like Waluigi, Krystal, Bubbles and Balloon Fighter (who clearly got shafted by the Villager), and yet there's no space for Palutena? There's f*cking seven Mario reps and yet no representation for Fire Emblem Awakening games? And then there's A LOT of third party characters including ones mostly exclusive to Sony (Sora) and EXCLUSIVE to Microsoft?

Just ... damn, NO. NO. It's too much ><

Groose

Smash Champion
I don't have time to do my usual full critique, but this should suffice:

I like Jaytalks' roster. Reasonable size, takes some risks (Kalos Trainer, Matthew), makes some cuts. Not a fan of Young Link or Dixie, though.

Keybladeguy's roster... oh my goodness, what the heck? That roster is bigger than Ridley! I'm sorry, but 60+ characters is an instant loss for me... especially when it ignores Palutena and includes Banjo, Kumatora, and a character I haven't even heard of.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I went for Jaystalks' roster.

KeyBladeGuy's roster has too many characters, and some are notably obscure. Among them being too many third party characters as well as too many retro.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
When I made my roster, I wanted it to be fun, and not let limitations take too much. Banjo's inclusion is based on his origins, Sora is not exclusive to Sony, and I just am not really a fan of Palutena, although I wanted to include her. Not to mention the fact that I don't think one new game warrants a New FE rep.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I vote Jaytalks. Keyblade's roster would be a dream come true, but it's extremely unlikely.

On the other hand, Jaytalks has made a few, but reasonable cuts. The only thing I really disapprove of is Matthew instead of Isaac. Would you mind explaining?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom