• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Smashboards Questions Thread. Ask site-related questions here. (Staff answers preferred)

Skywalker

Space Jump
Signature

Whenever I try to edit my signature or options, the changes don't save.

EDIT: Oh never mind. My sig just changed into something horrible. Why does this happen though?

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Is there anything we can do for the :confused: smiley? It's impossible to see the question marks.

Bahamut

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
Bahamut3585
Donut101 said:
Is there any way to view a preview of the member exclusive skin?
I'd be happy to oblige. I took two screenshots; one of the foum index, and one of your post:

Forum Index

Your post

Hope that helps. I used to use Emerge (that's the name of the skin) before the current skin came out. Now I use the current one; I think it makes the forum look more unique. Plus, Metaknight kicks all sorts of booty.
Donut101 said:
Whenever I try to edit my signature or options, the changes don't save.

EDIT: Oh never mind. My sig just changed into something horrible. Why does this happen though?
Is your sig outside the pixel limits? Check the Global Rules for sig length restricitons. We limit the size of sigs because occasionally people make sigs that take up an entire screen, which is just ridiculous.
Wenbobular said:
Is there anything we can do for the :confused: smiley? It's impossible to see the question marks.
Yeah, the black question marks don't help anyone, do they? Hmm, I don't know about changing the smilies, you'd have to ask an admin about that. Lemme get back to you on that one.

Skywalker

Space Jump
Bahamut said:
Is your sig outside the pixel limits? Check the Global Rules for sig length restricitons. We limit the size of sigs because occasionally people make sigs that take up an entire screen, which is just ridiculous.
Thanks for the advice, but my sig was pretty small. It was just in the rich text format; it was about the same size as my current signature (which I'll display in this post). It may just be that Smashboards is sometimes slow with issues like bandwidth . . . 'cause it did display my "signature" of 'adsg'.

Skywalker

Space Jump
Neutral Rep

I've gotten a couple of neutral reputations (blue) and I was wondering: How do I give neutral reputations?

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
You can't purposefully give neutral rep. Blue rep is just rep that someone tried to give you in full, but their rep is too low to affect yours much. The way it works is that the more rep that you have, the more it will affect others when you rep them. So if someone with low rep tries to rep you, it won't affect you as much, and it will be shown as blue.

I'm pretty sure that's how it works, anyway.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Also, if they're relativly new. That way people can't make a bunch of accounts and spam rep to their main account.

Skywalker

Space Jump
McFox said:
You can't purposefully give neutral rep. Blue rep is just rep that someone tried to give you in full, but their rep is too low to affect yours much. The way it works is that the more rep that you have, the more it will affect others when you rep them. So if someone with low rep tries to rep you, it won't affect you as much, and it will be shown as blue.

I'm pretty sure that's how it works, anyway.
So, Smash n00bs give a blue rep? What do Smash Journeymen give? I'm just curious. . . .

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
It's not related to that, it's related to their time. IE A Smash Noob who's been around since 03 can give rep, but a Smash Journeyman who joined yesterday (who would probably be warnewd for spam if he managed to do 100+ posts in one day) would give neutral rep.

rounder_nk

Smash Ace
isn't it also related to how much rep the person repping you has?

ok that's what mcfox stated.

rounder_nk

Smash Ace
is it proportional? Say i had two bars (which i'm close to) could i give two points of rep? Every 100 do you give one more point? I see this as true only for the first two bars but when someone with 6 bars gives rep it comes out as 12 points.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
After my preminess runs out, will I still be able to use the special skin? (I'm guessing no, but just wondering

and

Is my rep so high that I cannot be neg-reped? I haven't had a neg rep from someone in a really long time, but I have a ****load of grey neg-reps (known to be negrep because of their angry comments)

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Maybe it's just that the people de-repping you are too low rep themselves.
Two questions.
#1 - Does Gideon still moderate the N64 forums?
And #2 - ...Crap, I just forgot. One second while I search the forums trying to remember...
O right. Why are you allowed to rep yourself? Even if it is blue...it's so weird! :psycho:

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Wenbobular said:
O right. Why are you allowed to rep yourself? Even if it is blue...it's so weird! :psycho: [/B]
You can't rep yourself, unless you have two accounts. Blue rep (aka grey rep) doesn't count.

-Zangetsu-

BRoomer
BRoomer
Thanks for clearing up that blue thing Blue = grey.

1. Also i want to know is there any way to track who gave what rep or are higher powers only allowed to do that?

2. And can you see the actual number of rep or can you only see it through squares.

Because i've only been counting squares of rep and see who de reps/ up reps. for instance, 13 to 15 rep points, someone with 2 green square reps me.

3. Moreover, Do you plan on making a seperate thread for rep info, Because when i first signed up here, i was always confused on rep, and i think others feel that way too.

4. What are the categories for rep (there is distingushed road, unknown quantity, aura about, beacon of light.) Can you clear this up please?

5. Finally! When you resort to using curse words, is it proper to type it like this Da*n or is it considered censor dodging?

6. p.s. I notice + symbols next to peoples names like ZeroBeat's, what does this mean? please.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Eorlingas said:
Is my rep so high that I cannot be neg-reped? I haven't had a neg rep from someone in a really long time, but I have a ****load of grey neg-reps (known to be negrep because of their angry comments)
Likely, though there are people that could neg-rep you, it's just likely that the ones who are trying are too low to do so.

And I have no idea how the skins work with premieness.

Wenbobular said:
#1 - Does Gideon still moderate the N64 forums?
I'm guessing no, Gid doesn't do much modding, seeing as how simple tasks like that can be delegated. But various supermods etc. do check the forums.

-Zangetsu- said:
1. Also i want to know is there any way to track who gave what rep or are higher powers only allowed to do that?
Only the Admins (and possibly mods, I'm not sure) can track who's been giving rep. It should remain anonymous, but if someone is harassing someone else, we can manually edit people's rep (explains mine and KaoS').

2. And can you see the actual number of rep or can you only see it through squares.
Not sure, but if you don't see it in your profile or on the bar, then I guess not.

3. Moreover, Do you plan on making a seperate thread for rep info, Because when i first signed up here, i was always confused on rep, and i think others feel that way too.
We're planning on rewriting the rules soon, we'll likely add something about rep in there.

4. What are the categories for rep (there is distingushed road, unknown quantity, aura about, beacon of light.) Can you clear this up please?
Here are the categories:

User is the only person with this little rep....................-9999
User can only hope to improve .................................-50
User has a little shameless behaviour in the past..........-10
User is an unknown quantity at this point.....................0
User is on a distinguished road...................................10
User will become famous soon enough.........................50
User has a spectacular aura about.............................150
User is a jewel in the rough.......................................250
User is just really nice..............................................350
User is a glorious beacon of light................................450
User is a name known to all.......................................550
User is a splendid one to behold.................................650
User has much to be proud of....................................1000
User has a brilliant future ..........................................1500
User has a reputation beyond repute...........................2000

So there you go. Couple that with the number of bars you have, and you'll have an appoximate idea of how much rep you have.

5. Finally! When you resort to using curse words, is it proper to type it like this Da*n or is it considered censor dodging?
It's considered censor-dodging. Or forum is rated "E" for Everyone. :)

6. p.s. I notice + symbols next to peoples names like ZeroBeat's, what does this mean? please.
No idea.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Jeez, for an admin, there's a few things you don't know Mc9 ;)

To see what your rep is in numbers, click on the scales next to your name (IE, try and rep yourself)

Smods can see who gave what rep to who, but us lowly normal mods can't.

And the + signs after some peoples names means you added them to your "Buddies" list, which is viewable in your User CP.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
What happened to my sig?

Yeah, before the pictures showed up, I didn't mess around with the IMG codes and they're still in my photobucket. As you can see, it comes up saying it's been deleted, but it hasn't.

Is there a mod who hasn't had a hate thread?

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
There are lots of mods who haven't had hate threads, actually. The ones who mod the smaller rooms don't get hate threads much because modding a smaller room is a lot different from modding a busy one. There are less people to react idiotically, and we don't have to be as strict to keep the place from looking like a crapfest.

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
User is the only person with this little rep....................-9999
User can only hope to improve .................................-50
Not true, look at Foxpowers rep, he has two red bars, and has the -9999 message for it.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
How does a premium member post a poll

also

Can the Premie room be turned in a concentration camp?

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
There are lots of mods who haven't had hate threads, actually. The ones who mod the smaller rooms don't get hate threads much because modding a smaller room is a lot different from modding a busy one. There are less people to react idiotically, and we don't have to be as strict to keep the place from looking like a crapfest.
I see, it was in the Brawl Character Disc. so it makes sense now.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Is there anyway to fix up the Brawl Character Disc. at this point?

There are some people there trying to make it better by making smart topics, but not enough. As you know, when people come to Smashboards, they usually go there to learn everything they can about the game. They don't use search, and then someone has to redirect them to the appropiate thread when they make another one.

Can't we just make it so people can't create anymore threads there? Just about all the characters who actually have a chance of getting into Brawl already have a thread.

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Yo, Yo, Yo! ******, what you done did to my title?

Seriously, it was still there after the forum tansition, now suddenly it disappears. I could care less about my av but...my title was the cheese-nip.

Pariah Peregrine

two words to make the kids check dictionary.com

I can only theorize that something happened when I hit the 3,500 mark, but I though Smash Master started at 2,500.

Am I being a bad boy McFox?

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Can't we just make it so people can't create anymore threads there? Just about all the characters who actually have a chance of getting into Brawl already have a thread.
It would be counter-productive for a forum. Yes it sucks that nobody bothers to Search for topics, but how welcoming is a forum that doesn't let you make topics? People wouldn't join anymore. And there have been some good topics made recently, see Fliptroopa's rumor mill or kaid's 40-character limit thing.

And Resting, how can I restore your title if I don't know what it was?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
It already has gotten the upgrade, hence all the bugs and missing avatars.

REØ

Smash Lord
Hey, I got a stupid question but it's been killing me and I need to know; what is that Referals thing for when you view someones profile?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
When someone makes a new account they have the choice to put in the name of the person who told them abou the site, and tha person than gets a referal point. However it doesn't actually affect anything and is even more pointless than rep.

Skywalker

Space Jump
Many, Many Questions

Okay, I'm going to ask many questions, so prepare yourself . . .

1. Out of curiosity, is this list of titles right?
    0-29 -- Smash n00b
    30-99 -- Smash Child
    100-499 -- Smash Journeyman
    500-999 -- Smash Apprentice
    1000+ -- Smash Lord
    Debater -- Smash Debater
    BRoomer -- Smash Awesome
    SBRoomer -- Smash Elitest
    Tournament Director -- Smash Director
    Winners of the Writing Contest -- Smash Writer
    Premium Membership -- [Custom Title]
  2. What is the difference between a moderator, a super moderator, an administrator, and a senator?
  3. If I purchased a Premium Membership, could I keep the cyan color of Debate Hall and still change my custom title?
  4. What exactly does the multiquote feature do?
  5. When will the next poll for Debate Hall colors be? I would have liked pink.
  6. Why do high-ranked members tend to have a hand-drawn avatar?
  7. I've seen a Halo forum site that has the exact system of rep as SmashBoards; it also has multi-quote. Is this in any way affiliated SmashBoards?
I'm sorry if some of these questions seemed trivial and unnecsessary, but it'd be helpful if I was given the answers via PM.:)

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer

0-29 -- Smash n00b
    30-99 -- Smash Child

Can't confirm those 2, but the others all seem right. There's also Smash Master at 2500.

1000+ -- Smash Lord
    Debater -- Smash Debater
    BRoomer -- Smash Awesome
  2. What is the difference between a moderator, a super moderator, an administrator, and a senator?

A Mod moderates a selected room(s), SMods mod all rooms, Admins created the earth. And Senators used to be between SMods and Admins (not sure on ther "powers") but we don't have any senators anymore.
  3. If I purchased a Premium Membership, could I keep the cyan color of Debate Hall and still change my custom title?

Yep.

See example after this post

Beats me. I doubt it'll become a common thing.

Hiemie's magic. :p
  7. I've seen a Halo forum site that has the exact system of rep as SmashBoards; it also has multi-quote. Is this in any way affiliated SmashBoards?

They must be using the same forum software we use.
Big post. *whew*

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Hey, I got a stupid question but it's been killing me and I need to know; what is that Referals thing for when you view someones profile?
When someone makes a new account they have the choice to put in the name of the person who told them abou the site, and tha person than gets a referal point. However it doesn't actually affect anything and is even more pointless than rep.

0-29 -- Smash n00b
    30-99 -- Smash Child
    1000+ -- Smash Lord
    Debater -- Smash Debater
    BRoomer -- Smash Awesome
I'm sorry if some of these questions seemed trivial and unnecsessary, but it'd be helpful if I was given the answers via PM.:)
Big post. *whew*
Click the picture of paper on the ones you want to quote, then click quote, and bam, you get this.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
What is the difference between a moderator, a super moderator, an administrator, and a senator?
Just clarifying, basically, senators have SMod powers (meaning they can post in every room), but they also had access to the Senate. I was the only senator, but then I was bumped up to Admin, so it's not a rank we're really utilizing right now.

Top Bottom