• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Smashboards Questions Thread. Ask site-related questions here. (Staff answers preferred)

Osco316

Mic_128
BRoomer
A crummy world of plot holes and spelling errors
From what I know, a plus symbol next to someone's name means that they are on your buddy list (and also happen to be online at that time).

Flaco, I can't really understand your question(s), but are you wondering why you got an infraction for answering a question? Please re-read the first post in this topic, especially where it says "In order to avoid confusion, only forum leaders should answer questions. Unless you have a new question or suggestion, please do not post. (If a suggestion is well received, we can create a new thread polling for support for an idea; there's no need to make a post agreeing with an idea.)"

flaco

The Terminator
I mean that I got a infraction and you know that it says the location were you got it well it use to say it but now it says private why

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
As I don't know what infraction you're talking about I'll have to guess, but I assume it's because the thread your post was in was moved to the rubbish bin, and since that forum is private you can't see it.

flaco

The Terminator
As I don't know what infraction you're talking about I'll have to guess, but I assume it's because the thread your post was in was moved to the rubbish bin, and since that forum is private you can't see it.
thank man thats what i ment thank you bro :chuckle:

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Why isn't there an avatar FAQ?

I think there should be info on avatars all kept in one place, like, who is in charge of upload, info on when submission threads occur, places to just post them when made, a place to make requests, etc...
It's rather impractical because they're added so infrequently, and far from punctionally.

Is there a day this site doesn't crash? There is not one single day that I go on here that the site doesn't give an error.
We're not sure what's causing it, but Gid's working on finding the cause and running it over with a tank.

Jammer

Smash Lord
Um... I got an infraction a while ago. While the infraction expired, I still have a rather ugly thing that reminds me of it every time I go to my User CP or my User Page (although I'm not sure if other people can see it on my user page).

My suggestion is that when an infraction expires, there is a probation period of maybe two weeks before your record is wiped entirely clean. I don't want to be reminded of my insubordination for the rest of my Smashboards career, if that's all right with you guys.

Blackadder

Smash Master
Um... I got an infraction a while ago. While the infraction expired, I still have a rather ugly thing that reminds me of it every time I go to my User CP or my User Page (although I'm not sure if other people can see it on my user page).

My suggestion is that when an infraction expires, there is a probation period of maybe two weeks before your record is wiped entirely clean. I don't want to be reminded of my insubordination for the rest of my Smashboards career, if that's all right with you guys.
Just do what I do, and wear each infraction as if it was a badge of honour. :)

Though Jammer may be onto something, I've heard of a few complaints from people that found the reminder a tad depressing.

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
I believe infractions are kept visible for the purpose of deciding whether or not the person in question gets another infraction or just a warning.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Azua's right. It helps us see who just made a mistake and who is consistently breaking the rules. Maybe there should be a way to hide them in your UserCp, but that's not for me to decide.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I thought people would like it, gives people a chance to look into the mods sordid past! :o

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
So I just got premium, and I'm loving it so far. Except for this, which I'm hoping can be solved. Every time I go to a different page or load up Smashboards, I get a popup like so...

-----------------------------------------------------
<smashboards.com>

You have a new private message.

Sender: XXXXX
Title: YYYYYY

Click OK to view it, or cancel to hide this prompt
-------------------------------------------------------

This particular message I have in my Inbox, I have read it already (multiple times), and its been there since September. But the popups just started about 2 days ago. Any way I can change my settings, or get something to fix it, or...?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Oooh, Kiki's been trying to work out what's been causing that, premmieness might be the cause? Interesting. Anywya, try turning off the PM message under User CP -> options

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
Oooh, Kiki's been trying to work out what's been causing that, premmieness might be the cause? Interesting. Anywya, try turning off the PM message under User CP -> options
Pop-up notification or private messaging in general? Cause I'm just getting the pop-up.

EDIT: Turned off Pop-up notification; problem solved. May return when turned back on(?)

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I had the same problem, and I'm not a premie. I turned off the popup.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Well good thing I'm not the one working out the cause.

Try turning it back on again Vicious, but if it pops up again unneccesarily, just keep it off.

WaterTails

Smash Lord
Just an idea that I've kinda been throwing around...

Would SWF better from adding "grammar patrol" or something of that effect?

I just think it would help people like me who can hardly stand using the Brawl rooms (IMO, It's almost as incomprehensible as Nsider or gameFAQS)

or we could just add a mandatory spell checkin the brawl rooms...

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Just an idea that I've kinda been throwing around...

Would SWF better from adding "grammar nazis" or "grammar patrol" or something of that effect?

I just think it would help people like me who can hardly stand using the Brawl rooms (IMO, It's almost as incomprehensible as Nsider or gameFAQS)

or we could just add a mandatory spell checkin the brawl rooms...
No. For anyone who does not speak English as their primary language, these patrolmen (don't make light of the word "Nazi." I take offense to it) would be overly cruel and not be understood at all by the person they are correct. In short, it serves no purpose.

WaterTails

Smash Lord
No. For anyone who does not speak English as their primary language, these patrolmen (don't make light of the word "Nazi." I take offense to it) would be overly cruel and not be understood at all by the person they are correct. In short, it serves no purpose.
Yeah, I wasn't sure of using that... I guess that slipped in (I edited it out)

(From what I've seen, most users speak English as a first language, maybe I should be in other rooms more often)

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Yeah, I wasn't sure of using that... I guess that slipped in (I edited it out)

(From what I've seen, most users speak English as a first language, maybe I should be in other rooms more often)
All users speak English here, but for a lot of them it's not their first language. Some, quite prominent members and moderators.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I think that whenever new members join, an automatic PM should be sent to them with the follow message: "Use the search function before posting!: http://smashboards.com/search.php?"

They don't seem to read the stickies so it gets really annoying when I read a stupid topic which could easily be resolved if they just searched!

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
I think we should remake the sticky topic Hiemie made a good while back, I believe it was called 'The Asanine Newstand'? It was where various news articles on the web were posted by members here, and then discussed to an extent (sort of like The Official Youtube Thread). I've noticed we've been getting more topics based off one article of a story and not really retaining any conversational value... I understand TAN was closed/(re)moved as well. If we can't have it back, can I at least get a reason why or why it disappeared?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
It got merged to the mega mall since people just started posting stupid spam replies.

If we do it, it'll be very strict.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
I went through my CP and stumbled upon a Group list. It says I have 'access' to several groups, among them Smash Back Room, Back Room, and Tournament Directors, and bubbles to check them off to join. However, it also says group submissions must be approved by certain admins/mods. If I were to check off, say, Tournament Directors and press 'Submit,' would I become a Director, or would a submission be sent to an admin?

I've always wondered about this.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I went through my CP and stumbled upon a Group list. It says I have 'access' to several groups, among them Smash Back Room, Back Room, and Tournament Directors, and bubbles to check them off to join. However, it also says group submissions must be approved by certain admins/mods. If I were to check off, say, Tournament Directors and press 'Submit,' would I become a Director, or would a submission be sent to an admin?

I've always wondered about this.
It goes to one of the Mods/Admins who overseas room entries for the specific rooms.

Smash Director I think you have to host a tournament and provice a link when you click to submit, but the Broom, you can submit a request, but people are chosen from what they do, not by clicking that.

Cinder

Smash Master
Hey, I've got a question about the censors...I was talking to a friend in the Krystal thread, and she pointed out that a particular word was censored when she said it...but I said it, and the censors didn't pick it up...I can provide a link to the posts if necessary, but I just wanted to know how that happened...

Sorry, I forgot to bold my question: how did my friend get a word censored when the same word isn't censored when I (or anyone else) say it? I'm beginning to think she was pulling our leg, but I don't wanna take that chance...

Macrofly

Smash Cadet
I bet I'm gonna feel stupid later, but I looked in the user options and everything and couldn't find it. How do you not auto-suscribe to every thread you post in? >_>

flaco

The Terminator
um wiered I just log in and said error server busy relogin in 5 sec and i tried for like 5 times why did these happened?

Top Bottom