• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Smashboards Questions Thread. Ask site-related questions here. (Staff answers preferred)

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
[ spoiler]use spoiler tags without the spaces, like this.[/ spoiler]

Also good call on the link, thanks.

Rose alumna

Smash Journeyman
I got here on Sunday what rules should I know and what's a back roomer and modirator

I got here on Sunday what rules should I know and what's a back roomer and modirator

Last edited by a moderator:

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
Is there a time limit for posting in/reviving "old" threads (for example, is there a rule such as "you can't post in any threads that are older than 30 days"?)

Thanks in advance. (On a side-note, it would help if the FAQ/Rules for this site were posted in this thread's first post or somewhere at the top of Smashboard's webpage(s), as they seem to be a bit difficult to find (at least, in my case), and the "FAQ" and "Global Rules" links in this thread's first post are now broken links....)

ndayday

BRoomer
It depends really. If it's an old thread but you have something to contribute feel free to post. There may also be more recent threads about the subject. On the old site a message displayed on threads older than a month saying something along the lines of be careful that you are not needlessly bumping an old thread; I think that's a good rule to follow.

I have updated the OP with a correct link to the rules: http://smashboards.com/help/terms
A moderator is a member that also can issue warnings and infractions. A Back Roomer is a member that is part of the Back Room, of which there are 4: the Smash 64 Back Room, the Melee Back Room, the Brawl Back Room, and the Back Room. It's a place where important members to the competitive community post and discuss the games. One of their most important jobs is to maintain a tier list and tournament rulesets etc.

SuperPiccoloBros

Smash Apprentice
NNID
superpiccolobros
I am new here but i just have to ask 2 questions

1st is how you get those stock life images next to your icon
2nd i looked i know how the Smash Rookie and Smash Lord stuff works out but i notice some people dont have that these questions may have been asked but i figured it be easier post it myself so i dont have to search through pages of posts.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Okay, so I'm not really clear about what to do to join the Temp Debater group as instructed in this thread in the DH:

http://smashboards.com/threads/how-to-get-posting-rights-in-the-debate-hall.280662/

There doesn't appear to be any option to click on a "User CP" nor does "Networking" seem be on here. Perhaps they are referencing an old version of the site, but I'm not sure. Am I missing something? Let me know, thanks.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
The last question posted is precisely what I came here to ask :) what's going on with the Proving Grounds? Are us newbies not allowed in?

KirbyKamikazi

Smash Cadet
Can you change your username on here? I used to like my username until I found out about KirbyKaze, which is a one word difference from mine.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Can you change your username on here? I used to like my username until I found out about KirbyKaze, which is a one word difference from mine.
I too would like to change my username, but I never got an answer when I asked last time.
Users are able to change their username by purchasing any amount of premium membership. Once a user becomes a premium member, they can message the admin Virgilijus regarding name changes.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Okay, so I'm not really clear about what to do to join the Temp Debater group as instructed in this thread in the DH:

http://smashboards.com/threads/how-to-get-posting-rights-in-the-debate-hall.280662/

There doesn't appear to be any option to click on a "User CP" nor does "Networking" seem be on here. Perhaps they are referencing an old version of the site, but I'm not sure. Am I missing something? Let me know, thanks.
Recently, the forums have changed so most likely that feature did not carry over to the new forums. If you check the thread you posted, GoldShadow striked out the content regarding going to the User CP and applying as a Temp Debater. That most likely means that is now longer applicable. I know that function existed but no longer does after the forums changed. My assumption is that you are allowed to simply post in The Proving Grounds without the Temp Debater application.

Nemy

群れ
When on mobile how do you get the forums to show users Message count/location/Mains etc. in the actual thread. It did it automatically before the update. I know its possible with this new version because ive done it on accident a few times. (Android)

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
When on mobile how do you get the forums to show users Message count/location/Mains etc. in the actual thread. It did it automatically before the update. I know its possible with this new version because ive done it on accident a few times. (Android)
As in where you can see the information of the user without going into the profile? Simply click or tap on the users name and a window should show up showing that information minus the mains. That's under "Information" on the profile page.

Nemy

群れ
As in where you can see the information of the user without going into the profile? Simply click or tap on the users name and a window should show up showing that information minus the mains. That's under "Information" on the profile page.
Yes im aware of that, but theres a way to display all of that info next to the Moderator/ Premium or whatever user title they may have. Also, I just remembered it displays sigs as well.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Yes im aware of that, but theres a way to display all of that info next to the Moderator/ Premium or whatever user title they may have. Also, I just remembered it displays sigs as well.
According to Warchamp7, Smashboards is dependent on the resolution of your screen. Since most mobile phones have a smaller resolution, the information next to usernames such as post counts, Mains, locations, etc as well as signatures are removed. You can replicate this on a desktop simply by making your browser window smaller. While I am not sure how you were able to be able to see it but you somehow made your phone resolution larger so it could display that information. I normally use an iPhone when on Smashboards so I am unfamiliar with Androids but I tried changing my screen resolution or even manually zooming out with (fingers) but nothing changed. I don't know how you were able to do it but Smashboards is dependent on your browser/screen resolution.

Last edited:

Nemy

群れ
According to Warchamp7, Smashboards is dependent on the resolution of your screen. Since most mobile phones have a smaller resolution, the information next to usernames such as post counts, Mains, locations, etc as well as signatures are removed. You can replicate this on a desktop simply by making your browser window smaller. While I am not sure how you were able to be able to see it but you somehow made your phone resolution larger so it could display that information. I normally use an iPhone when on Smashboards so I am unfamiliar with Androids but I tried changing my screen resolution or even manually zooming out with (fingers) but nothing changed. I don't know how you were able to do it but Smashboards is dependent on your browser/screen resolution.
Ill try and replicate what I did. I think it haf something to do with zooming in/out. With that info I should be able to figure it out. Thanks

EDIT: Got it :D I set the default zoom in my browser from Medium to Far.

Last edited:

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
That would be right in here: http://smashboards.com/threads/the-nu-smashboards-arena-road-to-apex.341178/page-378

You can also add your Brawl FC under your avatar by highlighting your name in the top right corner and going to personal details~
Hi :D

You should totally come join us. The Arena is great!

We even have a life sized model of--

...*gets pulled back by someone for a few seconds*

Well, we HAD a lifesized model of Sakurai made out of wax, but apparently someone forgot to turn the heater down and...

sigh.

SSJ Kirby

Smash Apprentice
The last question posted is precisely what I came here to ask :) what's going on with the Proving Grounds? Are us newbies not allowed in?
Based on the: "(You have insufficient privileges to reply here.)" I would assume so, but some clarification would be nice.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
(This place still take suggestions?)

I think there should be a strict (-er?) 'No Smash vs. Smash' debate rule, with SSB4 right around the corner and all. The whole internet will be up in flames once people realize it's not Melee/Brawl, might as well attempt to stifle them here.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Not the case, for me at least :/ I have 'insufficient privledges' to post anywhere in even the proving grounds.
That system is currently being reworked since the forums changed.
(This place still take suggestions?)

I think there should be a strict (-er?) 'No Smash vs. Smash' debate rule, with SSB4 right around the corner and all. The whole internet will be up in flames once people realize it's not Melee/Brawl, might as well attempt to stifle them here.
We have a strict no "Brawl vs Melee" arguments and any topics with that focus are usually locked unless under special circumstances or in special password-locked areas in the forum.

This will most likely be extended to Smash 4 vs the other games; depending how split the community becomes. The reason why Brawl vs Melee are not tolerated is because how split the community became after Brawl's release.

ndayday

BRoomer
The position we currently hold for Smash vs. Smash (SSB4 vs. Melee vs. Brawl) etc. is that of normal topics. If a thread is created with intent to flame or troll then it will be locked/infracted. If this becomes a repeating problem like it did for Melee vs. Brawl then it could become zero tolerance for creating those threads. For now though we'd rather not stifle discussion by locking threads that haven't shown to be a problem (yet).

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I was just wondering what a Senator does. I noticed someone with a red username who had a Senator banner instead of Moderator, so it kind of confused me a bit. Also, is there a list somewhere of the available banners? Not sure if there are any more than these I've seen:

Administrator
Senator
Premium Member
Back Roomer
Brawl Back Roomer

Gatlin

I was just wondering what a Senator does. I noticed someone with a red username who had a Senator banner instead of Moderator, so it kind of confused me a bit. Also, is there a list somewhere of the available banners? Not sure if there are any more than these I've seen:

Administrator
Senator
Premium Member
Back Roomer
Brawl Back Roomer
Basically, a senator has the same abilities as a super moderator, which is the ability to control and mediate any predicaments on any part of the forum. The difference however, is a senator has access to answer any user's problems, complaints, or suggestions in the Forum Support section; which is restricted to administrators and senators only.

The current list of banners are:

Administrator
Senator
Super Moderator
Premium Member
Back Roomer
Brawl / Melee / 64 / Project M - Back Roomer

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Basically, a senator has the same abilities as a super moderator, which is the ability to control and mediate any predicaments on any part of the forum. The difference however, is a senator has access to answer any user's problems, complaints, or suggestions in the Forum Support section; which is restricted to administrators and senators only.

The current list of banners are:

Administrator
Senator
Super Moderator
Premium Member
Back Roomer
Brawl / Melee / 64 / Project M - Back Roomer
Oh okay I see, thank you! Follow up question now haha (sorry), but with someone who has the regular Back Roomer banner, does that mean they have access to all the back rooms (Brawl/Melee/64/Project M)?

Gatlin

Oh okay I see, thank you! Follow up question now haha (sorry), but with someone who has the regular Back Roomer banner, does that mean they have access to all the back rooms (Brawl/Melee/64/Project M)?
na haha, that is a special non-smash related smashboards group where all dreams come true, even marc's :urg:

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
The green Back Room banner is separate from Smash and works sort of like a Social. It doesn't have any connection to the Smash-related Back Rooms. So no, someone with the green Back Room banner is unable to view the 64/Melee/Brawl Back Rooms.

Last edited:

Ryan.

Smash Lord
na haha, that is a special non-smash related smashboards group where all dreams come true, even marc's :urg:
Haha okay, thanks for answering my questions Gatlin! Appreciate it, really like this forum so it is good to have a better understanding.

Edit: Thank you as well, Venus of the Desert Bloom!

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
can I make polls?
While you are allowed to make polls, it depends largely on where you intend to post it. Some sections of Smashboards is a bit stricter than others. Seeing as how you post largely in the Smash 4 forums, character polls are largely discouraged. That is due to the large amount of poll threads that would be created should the staff allow it. So generally, Poll threads that asks

"Who do you want too see in Smash 4?" And has a list of characters are not allowed. Always check the Smash 4 Forum Rules and Guidelines or ask a moderator if you are unsure if your poll fits the criteria.

We do have a poll as well as a Japanese poll currently running so please check that. It is in the Charactwr Discussion forum.

Top Bottom