• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Crosses 150,000 Members

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Smashers,

AlphaZealot here, Smashboards owner. It's been awhile since the last time I did a update on the site and what is going on. As we have crossed the 150,000 member threshold in the last week, now seems an appropriate time to let everyone know about the health of the site. First, let's start with what we've been working on in 2014.

• January 2014 - Smash news portal launched: we recruited a few batches of writers and @ The Derrit The Derrit has taken the reins as editor-in-chief of Smashboards news content. Articles are now going up at about the rate or 2-3 per day and we are hopeful to see that increase. Keep an out for new Smashboards writers and ping @ The Derrit The Derrit if you're interested in writing. Smashboards offers a great chance to improve your writing skills and get your content seen by one of the largest gaming audiences on the Internet.

• January 2014 - Smashboards rankings system launched: this has been a big success for Super Smash Brothers Melee and for Project M, with data improving for Super Smash Brothers Brawl and Smash 64. At Smashboards, we try to support the entire tournament community and keep a history of all Smash tournaments, not just the one or two large events that get streamed during the weekend. With over 30 Smash tournaments happening every weekend it is more important than ever for organizers to list their event in a single central place - the Smash tournament listings, and to report their results via the result forum and rankings portal. To date there are over 1,500 tournaments catalogued in the ranking system and over 4,000 unique players tracking their rankings. If you're a player, claim your rankings today and if you're an organizer, go here to learn about the project. Interested in helping? Contact @Hylian to learn how you can get involved.

• August 2014 - Media section launched: this has been a huge endeavor to catalogue over 3,000 Smash videos and it will require continued expansion/help in order to tag players and characters in videos, especially with the launch of Smash Wii U and 3DS. Contact @Warchamp7 if you are interested in helping with the Media section or produce content you would like added to the system.
Smashboards Sponsorships in 2014
In late 2013 Smashboards was finally on stable enough ground that the site could help the community and its members. I've entered into a number of agreements with members of the community and event organizers in order to try to help grow the Smash community. If you are interested in sponsorship, contact me @ AlphaZealot AlphaZealot and be prepared to share a sponsorship deck. Below is a recap of our sponsorships in 2014.

Events
  • Apex 2014
  • CEO 2014 (Smashboards added a $500 prize bonus)
  • Smash the Record (Smashboards donated $250 to St. Judes)
  • PAX Prime 2014 Panel: The Smash Community - Past, Present, and Future with Alphazealot, Samox, Hungrybox, and D1
  • The Big House 4 (Smashboards is providing a $500 Good Player Fund)
Streamers
  • VGBootcamp
  • Clash Tournaments
  • Smash Studios

Register for The Big House 4 today! Smashboards is proudly sponsoring.

How to get Smashboards Stuff
With these sponsorships we also have begun launching Smashboards products - including the first ever Smashboards teeshirt! Today is the last day to order! If you attended any of the events that were sponsored by Smashboards you also had a chance to get free Smashboards keychains, bottle openers, and pens - if you are going to The Big House 4 in a few weeks make sure to keep an eye out!

Premium Membership has also been improved vastly in the last 12 months. Members in the Premium room actually get access to raffles for members only - the current one going on is for a chance to win a copy of Super Smash Brothers 3DS. If you want to know more you will need to sign up for Premium - but the short of it is that we've sent Smashboards backpacks, jackets, pens, Kirby's plushes, Wii Adaptors, bottle openers, and other goodies to those who have won the raffles.

Site Health
Yesterday was a crazy day with Smash Brothers Wii U & 3DS news coming out of Japan. We still see some downtime/page load failures during times of massive traffic spikes but in 2014 we have maintained 99% uptime. We are prepared to make additional investments as needed to make sure browsing Smashboards is a stable experience on the day-to-day, though sometimes things can't be helped when the entirety of the Smash fan base comes knocking at our corner of the internet. With that said, Smashboards has grown tremendously - here are some stats
  • 150,000 members - adding about 150-200 new members daily
  • 15,500,000 post database - top 10 largest forum on Xenforo forum software, the second largest gaming-oriented
  • Averaging over 8,000 posts across the site daily and rising
  • Broken the record for posts-per-day twice in the last three months - the new record is 14,436 posts in a single day
The numbers are trending higher than what we saw during the Super Smash Brothers Brawl launch - which is saying a lot since that was the sequel to Melee and in an era before Reddit and social media dominated the spectrum. As it turns out, the new order of the internet has helped Smashboards and the Smash community as a whole - getting more people than ever involved. When the community grows, Smashboards grows, and in the end hopefully the Smash community benefits (see - sponsorships).

The Smashboards social channels have also grown massively in the past year. The Smashboards Facebook page has over 30,000 likes and the Smashboards Twitter account has over 20,000 Smashers following it. Make sure to like and follow these accounts since we use them for getting word out about tournaments, streams (make sure to put your Twitch stream in your Smashboards preferences so it can be displayed in the widget), any site issues, or general urgent updates/news updates.

2015 and Beyond
Super Smash Brothers 3DS launches in Japan on September 13th and we are expecting heavy traffic. We'll make any necessary server switches/changes once we see how the site handles. The Smashboards Senate is currently drafting policy and outlines for how to handle the site and the Super Smash Brothers 3DS & Wii U forum sections - including concepts like how a backroom might function for these games. We will also be adding on additional staff in the coming months to help moderate the forums - if you are interested you'll need to speak with @ Xiivi Xiivi but know that moderators, super moderators, and administrators are also browsing and looking for strong candidates who may be able to help.

In addition to new and changing forum sections (we'll give me detail later), we also have a number of projects being worked on. One major project will be launching a guide section so that newer players can get information more quickly. Nothing, though, can beat the Smashboards character forums - this is where nearly all the information about each character, anywhere on the internet, originates from first. There are few ways easier to get into Smash then to get involved on the character forum that interests you.

We'll also continue work on already launched projects and will be looking to do more work with the community through sponsorships and other agreements in 2015.

To close this lengthly update - I'd like to take a moment to thank everyone who is a member of not just Smashboards, but the Smash community. The community continues to grow and shine as one of the strongest in gaming - something many members have known for a long time but also something many new players learned through the Smash Brothers documentary in late 2013. The community continues to thrive off the strength and drive of players, organizers, moderators, and everyone who calls themselves a Smasher. Everyone needs to continue to do their part to make sure the community is welcoming and self-sufficient.

Thank you all for reading,
-aZ

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
sooo intresting wish i could do that mod job but i'd be offline to much to help and i still dont have computer of my own

mistermews

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0275-8819-2543
Wow.... I haven't been here for long, but one thing is clear;
We've come a long way, and blossomed into a fruitful community.

I'm actually pretty cheered up by this. Hoping for the best.
Of course, my origin story consisted of being a mindless lurker scraping and scavenging for Sm4sh info and speculation until the users here inspired me to get into this community. And it's all just been clear sailing from there. I wish Smashboards all the best.

Last edited:

Overclocked

Smash Cadet
NNID
superfamicomwars
Congrats guys! I joined here the other day after lurking for a few months as a guest. I look forward to being a part of this community after the release of Smash 4 and beyond :D

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
Astonishing. Smash is one of those rare games that counts as a hobby in itself. I almost like Smash more than I like gaming, paradoxically. I'm glad there are so many great dudes here to share that with.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Dude... if we ever wanted housewives to be on Smashboards, we could just get Dr. Phil to join.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Congratulations smash boards. With such a nice community filled friendly members and mods, the new guys or new comers or whatever will feel welcomed.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'm going to be the cynical one and ask how many of those members are troll alts and spam bots. :smirk:

Anyway, it's still a milestone. The site is alive and well. Smash 4 hype and all that.

Last edited:

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
But the real question is.. who was the 150,000th member???

itsameluigi1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
luigitime1290
See, if I didn't join, we never would've made it here.

I know it's a burden to be so helpful, but I am a Saint.

loljk, this is great! Can't wait to see how far we can go.

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
I like the Teeshirt idea, but it's kinda standard... wouldn't you like to add something to it instead of just "Smash boards"?

Great to see the site is developing and progressing! keep up the good work!

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
I'm going to be the cynical one and ask how many of those members are troll alts and spam bots. :smirk:
Those get purged every now and again.

For example our newest member is User ID #264529. So yeah, we've purged almost as many adbots/trolls as we have had members.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
We frowing and Smash 4 is the sign ofba new beggining. Hooray for everyonefrom the smash comunity who supports smashboards!

Hokori

Great King of Evil
This is pretty hype :)

This will probably get overlooked since it's not the first comment or anything, but stopping by the welcome center to welcome and help out newcomers (if need be, depending on what they ask in their intros) is always nice. The more the merrier!

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Love that the site is growing so rapidly. Looking forward to helping in some capacity.

Daltronite

Smash Cadet
NNID
DaltzX
I think Miiverse still has more members than this place, yet, 150,000 is ALOT of members!! Nintendo 2 da world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom