• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: SSB If It Was Created During the Switch Era

Pupp135

Smash Champion
From the polls, Masked Borb/Louie G.’s Kirby moveset will be used, and LoZ00’s Inkling moveset will be used.

Here are the votes:

Yoshi 4
Bowser 13
Luigi 7
Princess Zelda 9
Princess Peach 22
King Dedede 4
Tom Nook
Squid Sisters 1
Ganondorf
Octoling

Princess Peach and Bowser are our next fighters.

For collectibles, here are the nominations
Northsouthmap Northsouthmap Spirits
Louie G. Louie G. Trophies
LoZ00 LoZ00 History Card

Vote for your two most wanted, where yours is not first.

1. History Card
2. Trophies

I think that the history card seems like a cool idea.

Game Modes
Pupp135 Pupp135 Crystal Smash
Louie G. Louie G. Break the Targets
Northsouthmap Northsouthmap Home Run Contest
nirvanafan nirvanafan Mob Smash
LoZ00 LoZ00 Hoard Smash
Masked Borb Masked Borb All-Star Mode
Mushroomguy12 Mushroomguy12 Board the Platforms

Vote for your three most wanted, where yours is not first.
1. Mob Smash
2. Break the Targets
3. Hoard Smash

I think Mob Smash is a good start where you fight various fighters. Break the Targets helps the player how to use a specific character. Hoard Smash would be a fun way to implement enemy characters in battles.

Job 19: Submit a Multiplayer Game Mode
I’ll nominate Sports Arenas, which would be like SSF2’s Sandbag Soccer and Basketball minigames in Akkenia’s Volleyball mode.

Job 20: Submit Samus and Isabelle Movesets

Also, feel free to submit items.

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
1 Trophies
2 History Card

1 Homerun Contest
2 Break the Targets
3 Crystal Smash

Multiplayer Mode - Special Smash (same as Brawl onward)

Masked Borb

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3140-1930-0932
Collectables:
1. History Cards - This sounds pretty fun! And may- MAY- be less taxing then moddling 69420+ characters, half of which never had 3D models before, and half of THOSE just having those dumb 3D sprite trophies.
2. Trophies - But still, I like them.

Modes:
1. Home Run Contest
2. All Star Mode
3. Break The Targets

Job 19: Multiplayer Mode
Squad Strike is my suggested mode here, working as it does in Ultimate. It's a fun mode that lets you play as more than one character against a friend.

I'll get to Job 20 soon, Ima eepy-

Last edited:

Northsouthmap

Smash Champion
1. Trophies
2. History Cards

1. Mob Smash
2. Home Run Contest
3. Break the Targets

Multiplayer Mode: Smashdown
Acts the same as Ultimate.

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
From the polls, Masked Borb/Louie G.’s Kirby moveset will be used, and LoZ00’s Inkling moveset will be used.

Here are the votes:

Yoshi 4
Bowser 13
Luigi 7
Princess Zelda 9
Princess Peach 22
King Dedede 4
Tom Nook
Squid Sisters 1
Ganondorf
Octoling

Princess Peach and Bowser are our next fighters.

For collectibles, here are the nominations
Northsouthmap Northsouthmap Spirits
Louie G. Louie G. Trophies
LoZ00 LoZ00 History Card

Vote for your two most wanted, where yours is not first.

1. History Card
2. Trophies

I think that the history card seems like a cool idea.

Game Modes
Pupp135 Pupp135 Crystal Smash
Louie G. Louie G. Break the Targets
Northsouthmap Northsouthmap Home Run Contest
nirvanafan nirvanafan Mob Smash
LoZ00 LoZ00 Hoard Smash
Masked Borb Masked Borb All-Star Mode
Mushroomguy12 Mushroomguy12 Board the Platforms

1. Mob Smash
2. Break the Targets
3. Hoard Smash

I think Mob Smash is a good start where you fight various fighters. Break the Targets helps the player how to use a specific character. Hoard Smash would be a fun way to implement enemy characters in battles.

Job 19: Submit a Multiplayer Game Mode

Job 20: Submit Samus and Isabelle Movesets

Also, feel free to submit items.
Collectible:
  1. Trophies: They were definitely cool and the whole "Smash being a child playing all along" theme was very charming. I would not be opposed to it returning.
  2. History Card: It's a self vote, but I think that it would be a nice throwback to Nintendo's century-spanning history.

Single player mode:
  1. Break the Targets: A super fun mode that really helped you training with a character's movement options without it being boring. Since we are having only a handful of fighters, character-specific stages can and should be a thing, making it all the more enticing!
  2. Board the Platform: Essentially the same thing as Break the Targets, but a bit less "Smash-oriented" because it does not involve any actual character's attack except for the situational Up/Side Special. Still, a good move imo
  3. Crystal Smash: It perfectly completes the trifecta of "fun training" modes along with Break the Targets and Board the Platform!
-------

Multiplayer mode: King of the Hill
Ok, the name is quite self explanatory: You stay in a given area of the stage ("the spotlight", let's say), you earn points. Whomever has the most points after the time expires/the first person to reach a given point threshold wins. If multiple characters are in the spotlight, they earn less points (and this quantity is reduced if even more characters are in the spotlight). The spotlight randomly teleports around the stage after a certain time interval.

Pupp135

Smash Champion
Here are the votes:
Spirits
Trophy 9
History Card 9

I’ll set up a poll for the preferred collectable.

Crystal Smash 2
Break the Targets 12
Home Run Contest 8
Mob Smash 6
Hoard Smash 2
All-Star Mode 4
Board the Platforms 2

Break the Targets, Home Run Contest, and Mob Smash are added.

Here are the nominations:
Pupp135 Pupp135 Sports Arenas
nirvanafan nirvanafan Special Smash
Masked Borb Masked Borb Squad Strike
Northsouthmap Northsouthmap Smashdown
LoZ00 LoZ00 King of the Hill

1. Special Smash
2. King of the Hill
3. Sports Arenas

Special Smash is a good way to add customization to matches. King of the Hill gives SSB gameplay a unique twist.

Job 20: Submit a Moveset for Samus and Isabelle

Job 21: Submit a Character from an Unrepresented Franchise

Pyra & Mythra SSBU.png
I’ll nominate Aegis from Xenoblade as a transforming character is a cool gimmick, and Xenoblade 2 was a successful game during the Switch era.

Job 22: Submit a Number of Assist Trophies allowed

I’ll go with 32 in this scenario.

I’ll add Star Rod

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
1. King of the Hill
2. Squad Strike
3. Smashdown

I wonder if we could retool Squad Strike into something of a MVC or KOF styled team battle? Either way it's good to have around.

Job 20: May contribute a bit later.

Job 21: Edelgard (Fire Emblem: Three Houses)

1723483583819.png

With Nintendo's heaviest hitters out of the way, we can start dipping into the B-list stuff. I feel like Donkey Kong or perhaps Olimar is the character to add right now, but I sense that we may start to talk Fire Emblem around this point and I want to throw my hat in the ring before we settle on anything concrete.

The series needs no introduction, it's perhaps Nintendo's most successful (non-Pokemon) RPG-adjacent series going on strong 30+ years with several successful releases over the last decade and a massively profitable mobile game. I think bringing in a character from the series is pretty much an inevitability. Three Houses is the most recent game on everyone's minds at this point, so perhaps with the series' propensity for rotating casts it makes sense to hone in on that.

Since we're making our own rules with this new version of Smash, I'm choosing to abide by more of a Marvel vs Capcom rule of cool over simply gunning for the obligatory protagonist. Edelgard is the most popular character from the game, she gets a lot of love in FE Heroes, she's more visually compelling and has a weapon type that we haven't implemented yet. She is an antagonist which will add more flavorful dynamics to the cast, and she actively helps us maintain the gender balance that we have been doing quite a great job at keeping in line so far. We added Bowser, but I think we could use another character who really packs a wallop in a different way. Amyr would be the first heavy melee weapon of its kind in this game and would create a character who needs to fully commit to each decision - a punish / hard read character.

I have a mind to say we could use another Fire Emblem character to represent the more tactful swordsman archetype that Marth embodies in our own universe's Smash, but this is more exciting to me and frankly I'm eager to start implementing some creative new directions for this roster to go. I think Edelgard is a really compelling choice that helps us to add a brand new face to the roster to boot.

Job 22: 30 Assist Trophies
Just a bit more than our roster, allows us to give every series its own AT as well as leaving a little extra space to give nods to less fortunate series. I'm curious how we will handle this, because I think we should be careful not to seal the fates of characters we want to add later.

Last edited:

Masked Borb

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3140-1930-0932
Modes:
1. Special Smash
2. Squad Strike
3. Smashdown

Job 20:
Isabelle's Ultimate moveset is probably fine. I don't think I'm too qualified to change up the pupper.

And I'd say the same about Samus' too. And yet, it is pretty dated... but I'm not changing it.

So I'll just suggest someone else's Samus moveset. Methinks it's an alright choice of moves and junk. Don't take my word for it tho: https://youtu.be/FD-Sd5RzDpU

Job 21: Unrepresented Franchise Newcomer
I'm gonna go with an ARMS character, Lola Pop. This was a game that Nintendo wanted to treat like the equivalent to Splatoon on the Wii U. What better way to prop up the game more by having one of its characters hang out with Super Mario? I know it would make more sense for Spring Man to be here, with him being the one actually on the boxart, or maybe Min Min, since she did become a fighter in our reality. But this is not about our reality. Here, I can do what I want...

HONK HONK, MALFACTERS

Job 22: Number of ATs

Uh... Yeah, 30 is pretty acceptable.

Last edited:

Northsouthmap

Smash Champion
1. Special Smash
2. Smashdown
3. Smash Strike

Donkey Kong
There's remake of Tropical Freeze on the Switch, so he's makes sense to be here. He also has upcoming remakes.
His move set would probably stay the same with a few tweaks like throwing barrels.

Assist Trophy Number: 25 Assists

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Mii

May not be as popular now but still on Switch & a fully customizable (at least in appearance) fighter can be a big feature.

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
Modes
  1. Sports Arena: A unique idea with its own twist and potential to be a very entertaining side mode that further develops on its own. I think it is kind of brilliant!
  2. Squad Strike: Not a biggest fan of the way they implemented it, but it has a lot of potential. It would be a pity not to include it
  3. King of the Hill: Smash could benefit from some more whacky modes. King of the Hill, while far from being the most original idea ever, at least is something mildly different from the usual
Job 20: Isabelle and Samus' movesets
I don't know Animal Crossing or Metroid that extensively, but I'll give it a shot. Also this time around I'm sticking to a more simplistic approach for the movesets, as it seems to be the rule we generally agreed on for the thread (I was unaware of that the first time I posted Kirby and Inkling's movesets, sorry).
Most of Isabelle's moves from Ultimate do work out kind of nicely. I'd personally only focus on two special moves that I don't think fit Isabelle that well.
For starters, her Neutral Special, Pocket, doesn't really make a lot of sense. It is meant to be Villager's signature ability, but it has nothing to do with Isabelle herself. Therefore, I decided to switch it to Town Tune. Isabelle starts humming a tune, represented by some musical notes swirling around her. By holding down the input, Isabelle keeps humming, creating more notes. By releasing the attack, Isabelle poses and releases the notes forward. They slightly home for the target, although their chasing properties are nothing to write home about. Of course, more notes equal more damage.
Her Down Special on the other hand, Lloid Trap, makes no sense. I don't like the usage that the Smash series makes of Gyroids and this one is no exception. Instead, due to Isabelle kind of encompassing the role of the "catch-all" Animal Crossing fighter in this rendition of Smash, I decided to give her Villager's Down Special, Timber. I know that it doesn't represent Isabelle's personality that well, but that would require a major overhaul of her moveset and this would completely eliminate the "token Animal Crossing" fighter from Smash, which is a great archetype (unless we also bring back Villager, but I doubt we're doing it).

Some of Samus' moves remain relatively unchanged. However, with her, the overhaul is much grander than the one I did with Isabelle. I'm only listing those moves I'd change, btw:
  • Jab: Jab 2 would be a stab with the arm cannon, followed by an explosion for Jab 3.
  • Side tilt: Samus' close counter from Metroid: Samus Returns onward. It is too iconic of a move.
  • Up tilt: I hate Samus' current up tilt, so I'm going with a simple arm cannon swing above her head.
  • Down tilt: Samus slides across the ground, kind of like she does in Metroid: Dread (maybe she can do it in other games as well, but I don't know)
  • Dash attack: Samus' dashing counter from Metroid: Samus Returns and Metroid: Dread.
  • Down Smash: A move similar to Mii Gunner's Down Smash would make more sense, in my opinion.
  • Neutral Aerial: Screw Attack! A multi-hit electric attack. Her Up Special changed accordingly.
  • Down Aerial: Samus stabs downwards with the arm cannon and produces an explosion. It is based on the shots she usually does inside Ridley's mouth, particularly during his boss fight in Metroid: Other M.
  • Neutral Special - Plasma Beam: Samus shoots a pellet of energy. A quick projectile that can be charged to become the Charge Beam. The beam of energy is orange now. Samus can run around and jump while performing the attack.
  • Side Special - Ice Missile: Similar to the current Super Missile, but if the opponent's damage is high enough it can freeze them.
  • Up Special - Shinespark: Picture something kind of similar to Fire Fox, just without the damaging hitbox at the beginning and a quicker start-up.
  • Down Special - Morph Ball: Samus curls into her iconic Morph Ball form and can move and (uniquely) jump around. By pressing any attacking input she releases a stationary bomb that explodes after a few moments. Shielding reverts her to her normal state

Job 21: Unrepresented Franchise Fighter
I am going with Akira Howard from Astral Chain.
akira_howard.png

To be fair, most of the good or sensible choices have already been put forward, but I still wanted to add a character of my own to the discourse and, back then, Astral Chain was kind of a biggish thing for the Nintendo Switch. I mean, nowhere as big as, say, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, but still, relevant enough. I also believe that Akira's moveset would be somewhat interesting, due to their involvement with the Legion. Definitely on the complex side of the spectrum, but it seems interesting. Or at least, worth considering.

Job 22: Number of Assist Trophies
So we'll have 22 unique fighters + 4 clones = 26 characters (basic math LESGO!). Therefore I think we should have 36 Assist Trophies. They are somewhat easier to develop than fighters, so I don't see why not. Anyway, I also wanted to add a higher number as an option, just to have a bit more variety when it comes to voting.

Pupp135

Smash Champion
For the collectable, we’ll go with History Cards.

Here are the votes
Sports Arenas 4
Special Smash 9
Squad Strike 7
Smashdown 4
King of the Hill 6

Special Smash, Squad Strike, and King of the Hill are added.

Here are the nominations.

For both fighters, I’ll set up a poll that chooses between Masked Borb Masked Borb and LoZ00 LoZ00
Isabelle's Ultimate moveset is probably fine. I don't think I'm too qualified to change up the pupper.

And I'd say the same about Samus' too. And yet, it is pretty dated... but I'm not changing it.

So I'll just suggest someone else's Samus moveset. Methinks it's an alright choice of moves and junk. Don't take my word for it tho: https://youtu.be/FD-Sd5RzDpU
I don't know Animal Crossing or Metroid that extensively, but I'll give it a shot. Also this time around I'm sticking to a more simplistic approach for the movesets, as it seems to be the rule we generally agreed on for the thread (I was unaware of that the first time I posted Kirby and Inkling's movesets, sorry).
Most of Isabelle's moves from Ultimate do work out kind of nicely. I'd personally only focus on two special moves that I don't think fit Isabelle that well.
For starters, her Neutral Special, Pocket, doesn't really make a lot of sense. It is meant to be Villager's signature ability, but it has nothing to do with Isabelle herself. Therefore, I decided to switch it to Town Tune. Isabelle starts humming a tune, represented by some musical notes swirling around her. By holding down the input, Isabelle keeps humming, creating more notes. By releasing the attack, Isabelle poses and releases the notes forward. They slightly home for the target, although their chasing properties are nothing to write home about. Of course, more notes equal more damage.
Her Down Special on the other hand, Lloid Trap, makes no sense. I don't like the usage that the Smash series makes of Gyroids and this one is no exception. Instead, due to Isabelle kind of encompassing the role of the "catch-all" Animal Crossing fighter in this rendition of Smash, I decided to give her Villager's Down Special, Timber. I know that it doesn't represent Isabelle's personality that well, but that would require a major overhaul of her moveset and this would completely eliminate the "token Animal Crossing" fighter from Smash, which is a great archetype (unless we also bring back Villager, but I doubt we're doing it).
Some of Samus' moves remain relatively unchanged. However, with her, the overhaul is much grander than the one I did with Isabelle. I'm only listing those moves I'd change, btw:
  • Jab: Jab 2 would be a stab with the arm cannon, followed by an explosion for Jab 3.
  • Side tilt: Samus' close counter from Metroid: Samus Returns onward. It is too iconic of a move.
  • Up tilt: I hate Samus' current up tilt, so I'm going with a simple arm cannon swing above her head.
  • Down tilt: Samus slides across the ground, kind of like she does in Metroid: Dread (maybe she can do it in other games as well, but I don't know)
  • Dash attack: Samus' dashing counter from Metroid: Samus Returns and Metroid: Dread.
  • Down Smash: A move similar to Mii Gunner's Down Smash would make more sense, in my opinion.
  • Neutral Aerial: Screw Attack! A multi-hit electric attack. Her Up Special changed accordingly.
  • Down Aerial: Samus stabs downwards with the arm cannon and produces an explosion. It is based on the shots she usually does inside Ridley's mouth, particularly during his boss fight in Metroid: Other M.
  • Neutral Special - Plasma Beam: Samus shoots a pellet of energy. A quick projectile that can be charged to become the Charge Beam. The beam of energy is orange now. Samus can run around and jump while performing the attack.
  • Side Special - Ice Missile: Similar to the current Super Missile, but if the opponent's damage is high enough it can freeze them.
  • Up Special - Shinespark: Picture something kind of similar to Fire Fox, just without the damaging hitbox at the beginning and a quicker start-up.
  • Down Special - Morph Ball: Samus curls into her iconic Morph Ball form and can move and (uniquely) jump around. By pressing any attacking input she releases a stationary bomb that explodes after a few moments. Shielding reverts her to her normal state
Isabelle Poll

Samus Poll

Characters
Pupp135 Pupp135 Aegis (Mythra+Pyra)
Louie G. Louie G. Edelgard
DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 Pikachu
Masked Borb Masked Borb Lola Pop
Northsouthmap Northsouthmap Donkey Kong
Qwerty UIOP Qwerty UIOP Olimar
nirvanafan nirvanafan Mii
LoZ00 LoZ00 Officer Howard
Mushroomguy12 Mushroomguy12 Wii Fit Trainer

1. Olimar
2. Aegis
3. Donkey Kong

I think that Pikmin is something that Nintendo values a lot, so this is why Olimar is here. Donkey Kong is a prominent character in gaming history. I like the ideas of Pikachu, Miis, and Edelgard, and I have other priorities before going into Pokemon and Miis at the moment, and I still need to think about which Fire Emblem character that I’d like to add to the table.

Assists
Pupp135 Pupp135 32
Louie G. Louie G. / Masked Borb Masked Borb / Qwerty UIOP Qwerty UIOP 30
Northsouthmap Northsouthmap 25
LoZ00 LoZ00 36

Vote for your three most wanted, where yours can be first.

1. 30
2. 32
3. 25

I think 30 reaches a good balance here. On another note for assists, should we have them be added as bonus material like items, or should we have separate jobs?

Job 23: How Many Alts Should be Allowed per Fighter

Job 24: How Many History Cards Should be Allowed (ignoring playable fighters, assist trophies, and potentially items)?

I’ll say 275 as this is the first entry.

I forgot to note, but please feel free to submit items.
I’ll nominate the Pitfall

Last edited:

BritishGuy54

Smash Ace
1. Pyra + Mythra
2. Mii
3. Olimar

I think at this timeframe, Aegis makes more sense to prioritise over Shulk. Olimar is also fun, and some other picks here are obvious and expected.

1. 32
2. 30
3. 25

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
Newcomer
  1. Donkey Kong: Honestly, he feels like not only an inevitable choice, but also one that makes a lot of sense. His historic significance is huge and his gameplay style (being most likely a semi-grappler) is quite fun and interesting. On top of this, DK getting a somewhat recent re-release AND a massive role in the DLC for Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle increase his chances. I simply cannot see DK sitting out a game like this
  2. Olimar: Another choice that makes a lot of sense. With Pikmin 3 getting a re-release on the Switch, some Pikmin representation is bound to happen and due to Olimar's somewhat prominent role in that game too, I can't see anybody but him being added. And besides, I think that Olimar is a prime candidate for a moveset rework, though he doesn't need one as desperately as, say, Donkey Kong.
  3. Edelgard: I like chaos and Edelgard would definitely bring some. Despite this, though, Fire Emblem is, after the series already in the game, Pokemon, and arguably Donkey Kong and Pikmin, the biggest series Nintendo has to offer. Edelgard would make for a good fighter and a very interesting case of hero/villain character (spoiler for a five-year old game, I suppose). And besides, I think that her axe coupled with her magic spells would make for an enticing heavyweight/tank fighter with good options at medium range. I cannot rank her any higher simply because I think DK and Olimar have a higher priority, but from a character standpoint Edelgard is someone I'll be pushing a lot
I really like Lola Pop (definitely one of my top 3 favorite ARMS characters) and Mii, but I think that Mii and probably Edelgard will eventually join the roster. Also I suppose that Pikachu SHOULD be considered top priority... but I don't know, man, I like Pokemon, but not inside Smash for some reason. I just think that characters like DK, Olimar, Edelgard, Lola Pop, or even Wii Fit Trainer and Aegis have more personality.

Number of ATs (I suppose they could be Assist Cards in this universe?)
I believe that we should have more ATs than fighters, simply put. Out of these options, 32 is the one that makes the most sense to me. 30 is a bit too close to the number of fighters and 36 is a bit too high, in my opinion

-------
Job 23
Considering that 4-Player Smash will DEFINITELY be a thing, I say we give all fighters 6 recolors + 2 alternate costumes, with the catch that the 2 costumes have to be unlocked. I don't know if 8-Player Smash will be a thing, though, in that case I guess we should have 8 recolors + 2 unlockable alt. costumes. Bottom line is: give us at least as many recolors as max amount of players (with some room to spare in case of 4 Players being the maximum amount, in my opinion) + 2 unlockable costumes to add something minor to work towards. Alternate costumes will completely change the attire of the fighter (think Builder and Wedding Mario from Ultimate)

Job 24
Damn, this is a hard one. Considering that History Cards would definitely be much easier to develop than Trophies, I say we add 450 of them, ignoring playable fighters, ATs, items, and so on. Adding into this total the History Cards for fighters, ATs, and items, we should have something that kind of resembles the total tally of Trophies in Brawl (544)

Masked Borb

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3140-1930-0932
Newcomers:
1. Edelgard
2. Lola Pop
3. Donkey Kong

# Of Assists:
1. 30
2. 32
3. 36

Job 24:
Uhhh... around the 300~ mark sounds good to me.

Item: Destroyer Of Friendships Blue Shell/Spiny Shell

Louie G.

Smash Hero
On Isabelle: I actually love the Town Tune idea, but I also think Pocket and the Lloid trap work nicely with her general kit. I could go either way on this one, I'm down for the experimentation. Down B doesn't make a lot of sense explicitly but it's a clever implementation of an element of the series brought into the fold. It's a lot better than Villager's take on Lloid, at least.

On Samus: Both are fine and have a lot of general overlap. I wanted to contribute to this conversation but ran out of time, feels like all the obvious decisions were laid out already though so I didn't want to change her up all that much.

1. Donkey Kong - The leader of the bunch. I know we have three Marioverse characters already and we should spread the love, but that doesn't make Donkey Kong any less essential. Would there even be a Nintendo without him? Besides, he's a great candidate for our roster's dedicated grappler and we could still use a couple more heavyweights. He's just such a no-brainer pick regardless of what you think about the state of the DKC series.

2. Edelgard - My nomination and I'm going to stick by it. Representing Three Houses just seems like a natural decision, at this point we'd be a couple years past its release and establishing itself as the series' most popular entry. Edelgard is the most popular character from the series' most popular game, she provides a compelling dynamic against the roster, Amyr would be a unique heavy weapon type... I said all this already, but yeah. I think it's a good idea!

3. Olimar - Makes a lot of sense. Olimar will eventually make it onto the roster one way or another I'm sure. Maybe a bit less essential than the other two series here, but Pikmin is a persistent little series that just got a port the previous year, got a mobile app the same year this game is releasing, and in general is just climbing up the ranks. Miyamoto's favoritism is definitely a boost in its favor. Not to mention, Olimar is just very unique.

I don't know if I'm ready to add Xenoblade yet, it trails a bit behind these series, and I'm still uncertain how I feel we should represent it (essentially, XB1 or XB2). Obviously it will have some presence on the roster but I wouldn't mind holding off for the time being. Pikachu is obviously going to get added eventually but frankly I don't see myself supporting Pokemon directly unless the other options are weaker or someone throws out a really compelling new angle on the series. It SHOULD be here, I just personally don't care enough to back it right now. Loz echoes my thoughts on this a bit. Just feels like an "other" to me, I want to focus on the rest of Nintendo.

I'm not sure if Mii is a priority for me, but it makes sense and I wouldn't mind adding it later. Feels less essential in this era than it would have been before but perhaps we can find a fun spin on it here - like a Street Fighter 6 esque training course lol. Officer Howard is a good suggestion that we can probably revisit later on too. Lola Pop is one of my favorite ARMS characters too, but I wonder if she would be a bit too random as the pick for the series. She does have some neat potential though with her ballooning mechanic... I just wonder if a post-release character is the right way to go? And Wii Fit Trainer - I completely adore her but I'm not sure if now is the right time. Especially with Ring Fit as a strong option moving forward.

Number of Assist Trophies:
1. 32
2. 30
3. 36

25 is too low to do something meaningful with beyond the series already represented. Anywhere within this range is fine.

Job 23: I will echo LoZ00 LoZ00 on this again, seems like a good compromise that allows us to be more creative with alts but maintains the basic structure that has already proven to work. Although I want to suggest that we should be flexible in potentially allowing additional Alt Costumes to be unlockable or sold as DLC for specific characters. Don't think we should limit those with more potential for them.

Job 24: 250 Cards
I'm going to stride more on the conservative end here and suggest that we should treat these cards with more significance. If we do somewhere in the mid hundreds I think the value of each character getting recognized is kind of cheapened. Somewhere around here feels like a better amount to work up to, where space is more limited and focuses on the most important characters and valuable moments in Nintendo history. Rather than just dumping a bunch of enemy types in or something, yknow? Also don't know if we really need these for all the items, but I guess that would inflate the total if we did.

This might make it more difficult to decide amongst ourselves who gets cards, but I just want to offer this alternative perspective.

Last edited:

Northsouthmap

Smash Champion
1. Pikachu
2. Donkey Kong
3. Mii

1. 30
2. 25
3. 32

3 Alternate Costumes, 2 Recolors and 1 Model Change

290 History Cards, the same number of trophies in Melee

Pupp135

Smash Champion
From the polls, Masked Borb Masked Borb ’s movesets will be used.

Here are the votes:

Fighters
Aegis 7
Edelgard 10
Pikachu 8
Lola Pop 3
Donkey Kong 18
Olimar 10
Miis 3
Officer Howard 1
Wii Fit Trainer

Donkey Kong is our next fighter, and I’ll set up a poll between Edelgard and Olimar.

Assist Counts
32 (15)
30 (21)
25 (8)
36 (4)

There will 30 assist trophies.

Here are the nominations:

Alt Costumes
LoZ00 LoZ00 / Louie G. Louie G.
Considering that 4-Player Smash will DEFINITELY be a thing, I say we give all fighters 6 recolors + 2 alternate costumes, with the catch that the 2 costumes have to be unlocked. I don't know if 8-Player Smash will be a thing, though, in that case I guess we should have 8 recolors + 2 unlockable alt. costumes. Bottom line is: give us at least as many recolors as max amount of players (with some room to spare in case of 4 Players being the maximum amount, in my opinion) + 2 unlockable costumes to add something minor to work towards. Alternate costumes will completely change the attire of the fighter (think Builder and Wedding Mario from Ultimate)
Northsouthmap Northsouthmap
3 Alternate Costumes, 2 Recolors and 1 Model Change
Here is a poll to choose between alt proposals.

History Card Counts:
Pupp135 Pupp135 275
LoZ00 LoZ00 450
Masked Borb Masked Borb 300
Louie G. Louie G. 250
Northsouthmap Northsouthmap 290

1. 290
2. 275
3. 300

Job 25: Submit a Stage of Your Choice
The exterior of Bowser's Castle.
This is going to seem kind of a weird idea, but I’m going to nominate Mario Kart 8‘s version of Bowser’s Castle. This would be a traveling stage where you go through multiple areas of Bowser’s Castle. I guess this also would give us both a Bowser’s Castle and a Mario Kart stage.

Job 26: Submit Peach and Bowser Movesets

Please feel free to submit an item.

I’ll add Screw Attack here.

Regarding Assist Trophies and History Cards, should these be open ended jobs like items, or should we give them formal jobs like with fighters and stages?

Last edited:

Masked Borb

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3140-1930-0932
Oh boy-

(Edited in because I forgot-)History Card #:
1. 250
2. 275
3. 300

Job 25: New Stage
Imma gonna lean into the theme of the characters and suggest a Mario stage: Airship Fortress!

It doubles as being both a Bowser-related stage, AND a Mario Kart stage at the same time! There would be one big airship as the center stage, fitted with a few cannons and Bill Blasters. On the sides of the stage, there would be two much smaller ships going up and down, acting similar to the platforms on the Bayonetta & Dragon Quest stages.

Job 26 (A): Moveset For Peach

Ladies first! Peach & Bowser, like my proposals for fighters before them, will be mostly the same, with a few new or tweaked moves. Her jab & tilts will work pretty much the same, aside. For her Dash Attack, I'm re-naming it to "Sparkle Shove", because who at the Smash teams thought the move that gives Peach sparkly hands should just be called "LADY PUSH"? Small nitpick aside, while Peach's other Smash Attacks would stay the same, her Up-Smash would change to be the Crouching High Jump from SMB2. While not going as high as the original's intent, Peach would still jump a considerable height, just about up to a lower Battlefield platform. Basically the first hit of K. Rool's Up-Smash, but with extra height. Her Grab & Pummel are the funniest thing ever, and I plan to keep them that way. Her Throws are basically the same, though I'd like it if the animations had Toad doing the attacks instead of Peach. Also, I'd have the Toads rotate between Red, Blue & Yellow for each time she grabbed.

Peach will get two new Special Moves. Her new Neutral Special is still Toad, but he acts slightly different. She summons a Toad who will waddle around the stage. If any opponent or projectile hits him, he'll send out his harmful spores. I have essentially turned him into a walking counter. And her new Side Special is a Super Princess Peach reference: Dashbrella! Pulling out her Parasol, she would run in place to charge up the power of the attack for three levels. Level 1 would do about 10%, Level 2 would do 20%, and level 3 does 30%. She would rebound off of the opponent after contact for hit-and-run tactics. She would skid to a stop if the move didn't hit, of course. Her other Specials would still remain the same. For her Final Smash, instead of lulling her foes to sleep, she would "reward" her opponents by hopping into the background, where she and a few Toads would bake up the LARGEST CAKE SHE'S EVER MADE! They would lift the near-Battlefield-sized cake and toss it at the stage, hitting any opponents once on the way down, again if the cake squashed them on the ground, and one more time when the cake explodes!

Job 26 (B): Moveset For Bowser

Bowser Time! Bowser's jab, & tilts are all remaining the same, as well as his Dash Attack. I'd change his Forward Smash to "Bowser Bash", a charged-up Punch based on the final punch he does in M&L: Bowser's Inside Story. It'll still have super armor, and still break shields, so be careful... His other Smash Attacks, as well as Grabs & Throws, and aerials also stay the same.

For Bowser's Special Moves, I'm revamping it all! Gwahahaha! Bowser's Neutral Special will be Fire Breath if just pressed once, but it doesn't last that long. If you HOLD the B button, however, Bowser charges up for a mean Fire Ball! It acts similar to a fully-charged Shadow Ball/Charge Shot. His Side Special is a classic Shell Bash. Bowser retreats to his shell, and revs up before dashing across the stage at relatively high speed. It's basically Whirling Fortress if it had one hit, was faster on the ground, and did more damage. His Up Special is where I'd put his Bowser Bomb. He would jump up a considerable height, going somewhat diagonally depending on which way he's facing, before ground-pounding below him. His Down Special is where I'd shove that Flying Slam move of his. It never did feel right to me that it was his Side Special, but that's just me. For his Final Smash, say hello to FURY BOWSER!!! Growing big and bad thanks to his son, Bowser Jr., Bowser grows to the size of the stage and prepares to launch a barrage of fire balls from his mouth and have them rain from above! Most similar to the PK Starstorm attacks in our reality.

Item Suggestion: Super Star
It does exactly what you think it does.

This took basically all day and last night to finally post. Yippeeeeee...

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Stage

Mario Galaxy (Mario)

1723947758073.png

Super Mario Galaxy is one of the most beloved and critically acclaimed games of all time, often seen as revolutionizing the genre. If there's a game in the series that warrants stage representation for Mario, it's Galaxy.

Last edited:

BritishGuy54

Smash Ace
Mushroom Kingdom (Super Mario Bros., 1985)
IMG_0469.png
IMG_0469.png

Of course, a retro throwback is warranted, and why not the original Super Mario Bros.? I imagine this stage will be a strange hybrid between Melee’s Mushroom Kingdom, and Brawl’s Mushroomy Kingdom.

The aesthetics will resemble the original game. 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, and 1-4 are all here, on loop. It might be a bit much for a first stage submission, but I can’t really refuse this option

Northsouthmap

Smash Champion
1. 300
2. 290
3. 275

New Donk City Hall
Super Mario Odyssey is the newest 3D Mario game, so it deserves a stage.

Give Assist Trophies Formal Jobs and History Cards Open Ended Jobs

Pupp135

Smash Champion
From the poll, Edelgard is our next fighter, and we’ll use the alt system that LoZ00 LoZ00 / Louie G. Louie G. proposed.

Here are the votes:
275 (5)
300 (5)
250 (3)
290 (5)

There’s a three way tie. I’ll set up a poll below. Please disregard the typo.

Here are the stage nominations.

Pupp135 Pupp135 Bowser’s Castle (Mario Kart 8)
Masked Borb Masked Borb Airship Fortress
Mushroomguy12 Mushroomguy12 Mario Galaxy
BritishGuy54 BritishGuy54 Mushroom Kingdom
Northsouthmap Northsouthmap New Donk City Hall

1. New Donk City Hall
2. Bowser’s Castle
3. Airship Fortress

I feel like a Mushroom Kingdom themed stage and a Mario Odyssey something would be something that I’d like to see down the line, and I think New Donk as a stage is more fun. Airship Fortress seems really cool as an idea.

For the Peach and Bowser Moveset, we’ll use Masked Borb Masked Borb ’s proposals.

Job 27: Submit a Fighter

I’ll nominate Aegis from Xenoblade as a transforming character is a cool gimmick, and Xenoblade 2 was a successful game during the Switch era.
Job 28: Submit an Assist Trophy
HW Midna Render.png
I’ll nominate Midna from the Legend of Zelda series, and she’d operate similarly to how she does in Ultimate. I’m nominating Midna as she is a popular character, but I don’t really see us going beyond the Triforce for this thread’s roster.

Feel Free to Submit an Item.
I’ll submit the Legend of Zelda Ice Rod, which expels flurries and sometimes freezes opponents.

For Alts, should they be open ended jobs, or should they be formal jobs?

Last edited:

BritishGuy54

Smash Ace
1. Bowser’s Castle
2. Mushroom Kingdom
3. Airship Fortress

Job 27: Olimar (Pikmin)
IMG_6487.png

Job 28: Captain Toad (Super Mario)
IMG_1155.png

Masked Borb

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3140-1930-0932
Stages:
1. Bowser's Castle
2. Airship Fortress
3. New Donk City Hall

Job 27: Fighter

HONK HONK, MALFACTERS
Job 28: Assist Trophy
Cranky Kong could be fun. He could bounce around the stage with his cane to hit opponents on the head, or ramble on and on kinda like Resetti, berating every fighter with unique text dialogue.

Item: Banana G U N

For alts, I think the job could be open-ended.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I had drafted up a post before but was too late, ah well. Anyway here's some feedback that I had put aside that I think is still valuable to share. I'll follow up with a new character nomination and votes when I get the chance.

Regarding Assist Trophies and History Cards, should these be open ended jobs like items, or should we give them formal jobs like with fighters and stages?
Assist Trophies: Absolutely jobs. Maybe we would want to pepper them in among bigger jobs like voting for new characters and whatnot, because I feel like these wouldn't really dominate the conversation. But we can't be too loose about this, these are valuable slots and I can easily see a scenario where we irresponsibly count out a viable character as an AT before we get to make them playable (assuming we don't allow for upgrades later). This happened in the Community SSB6 thread and in my opinion gutted the potential of DLC. So in other words we need to be VERY careful about who we vet in.

History Cards: I'm conflicted. I don't know if this is significant enough to be a full fledged job, maybe this is something we should figure out as we go based on how many cards we vote to include. If it's on the lower end, somewhere in the 200s, then I think we need to create some sort of system for determining which characters / locations / items or however we want to handle this warrant the role. Bottom line, it's too early to say. If we're adding like 400 then it doesn't matter.

Also Pupp135 Pupp135 , should we just add Battlefield and Final Destination as free spaces? I don't know if we need to go through the effort of nominating them, and I know this is not operating under prior Smash logic but it does just feel like a good idea to have a couple standardized Smash stages. Maybe we can vote on this individually, or propose a different direction for them if we see fit?

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
1. Airship Fortress
2. Bowser's Castle
3. New Donk City Hall

Top priority is giving Bowser a home stage. I think Bowser's Castle is a great choice and a fun direct contrast to the already added Peach's Castle, but Airship Fortress is a wonderful idea that I'd like to give some love. New Donk City gets a nod for being from Mario's most recent mainline game at the time, so that's something I feel we'll have to revisit at one point or another.

Also, sorry for the double post. Just easier this way.

Job 27: Helix (ARMS)
1724000530109.png

The sentiment toward ARMS may be kind of lukewarm lately, but it has a lot of reason to be here. It was Nintendo's first new IP for the Switch and one of the only ones they created at all. It's Nintendo's contemporary take on a fighting game, a natural place for their mind to go when crafting the roster for... well, a crossover fighting game. And a character with stretchy limbs is a great asset for roster variety, bringing us another new archetype in a character who excels when spacing themselves, a defensive player who fights from a distance. I think the series is an essential add to this roster.

But who? Well, Borb has been suggesting Lola Pop and I quite like her, but there's a slight disconnect for me in making her the exclusive character. She was added post-release through an update, and arbitrary or not I feel as if the characters who were there from the start may do a better job as a solo rep while others feel a bit random. I wouldn't be upset if that's what we went with, but I think Helix is our ideal move here.

What is the most exciting thing about an ARMS fighter? The answer is, of course, that they stretch. Helix takes this concept to the extreme, being himself a stretchy mound of jelly who can collapse his mass into a flat mound or stretch his torso high to gain leverage. Many of the ARMS characters are designed to cleverly evoke that feeling of bounciness and stretchiness, from imagery of springs and ribbons and ramen noodles, and I think any of those would be viable choices. But I want to try to find a different answer than Min Min since I want to be more creative than replaying the hits from Ultimate, and Spring Man and Ribbon Girl are fine but perhaps a bit predictable and less exciting. So instead I feel like Helix is an efficient way to build around the essence of a stretchy ranged fighter, and has greater moveset potential opened up to him by using his gelatinous build to deform and stretch other parts of his body if need be. Thinking of perhaps an Up Smash where he flattens into a puddle then springs his head up super high operating as a hitbox... that kind of playful stuff that takes the elasticity to the extreme. It allows us to not only represent the spirit of ARMS but to expand on this archetype in a fun, exciting way.

Job 28: Metroid (Metroid)

Keeping things simple to kick us off... the titular Metroid! I'd rather focus on picks like this that feel uniquely suited to the AT role rather than knocking out viable characters right off the bat. A summon that clings to your opponent and leeches their life energy is... well, I hesitate to say "fun", but I think it's effective.

For Alts, should they be open ended jobs, or should they be formal jobs?
Conflicted, because I don't think we need to split hairs on alternate colors but we may want to have more of a discussion around the two alternate costumes. Perhaps we should make these formal jobs where we each contribute our own batch of eight alts? Mind you I don't think we need to waste a whole lot of time on it but I dunno, maybe we can do votes on the costumes instead (like say, Builder Mario) specifically and then vet in the two top choices?

Last edited:
Top Bottom