• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: SEGA Superstars World Cup (Current Jobs: Amigo/Sakura/Chomp/Knuckles/Nei/Elenor movesets and collectables!)

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
New-Challenger.png

We said we'd get to them eventually, but here is our first 'secret' unlockable character:

Secret Character Signing: Miles "Tails" Prower

Tails.png

Media Nickname: Kit Genius (Pun on Kid Genius which he is, and the Kit Fox being the smallest type of fox)

Stats:
Speed:
Strength: 3
Defence: 4
Shooting: 4
Passing: 7
Skill: 5

Super-Star Move: Cyclone Kick
Tails flies around the ball causing it to be swept upwards in an up-draft tornado, before flying into the sky. His Cyclone in it's Plane mode suddenly flies towards him before shifting into it's walking mecha form. Tails straps himself into the walker, and uses it's gigantic robotic legs to kick the ball with tremendous force.

All-Star Move: Remote Bombs
Tails will run forward dropping several remote orange bombs behind him with a two tailed sticker atop them. Anyone other than Tails that steps on these will be caught in a napalm burst, becoming burnt and crispy from the explosion and being knocked back. Useful for clearing opponents out from behind you, but can commit friendly fire.

Star Burst Move: Spin Dash
Tails will curl into a ball, spinning on the spot before releasing and shooting himself forward. During the spin his tails mysteriously stay in place, but will pin the ball from both sides making it travel with Tails.

This Star Burst will knock opponents out of the way acting like a tackle. If used against somebody who has the ball, Tails will obtain the ball upon knocking them out the way.

Goal-Star Move: Super Tails
Whilst Sonic may use his Super Form for pure offence, Tails uses his for defensive purposes. Gathering the Super Emeralds, Tails will begin to shine and flash and be joined on the field by four Super Flickies. The Flickies will cover all four corners of the goal whilst Tails covers the middle of the goal with his tails outstretched, essentially blocking the entire goal.

Goal Victories:
  1. Tails flies around happily
  2. Tails walks away from the goal looking embarrassed at the crowd as he smiles out to them and waves shyly.
  3. Tails brings out the Miles Electric as he walks away from the goal, smiling happily “All according to my calculations!”
MVP:
If Sonic is on the team:
Tails will carry Sonic in the air, before the two combine into the Rolling Combo from Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II becoming a giant blue and orange spindash, landing on the pitch and speeding around it before splitting back into the fox and hedgehog. They look at each other and perform a fist bump together.

Without Sonic: Tails speeds around the field using his tails to propel himself forward, before leaping up into the air and landing in an unmanned but flying Tornado which he then pilots through the sky happily alongside a chorus of different coloured Flickies.

Losing:
  1. Tails flies around but becomes exhausted and slowly flops to the ground, collapsing
  2. Tails brings out the Miles Electric which seems to short circuit on him.
  3. Tails accidentally drops a remote bomb which explodes, leaving him covered in soot. He uses his tails to blow himself free of the ash and soot without reacting.
Kit:
Tails' kit is based on his fur colour; orange with a white zigzag pattern on the lower half. His cleats look exactly the same as his regular shoes only they have studs on the bottom of them.

---------------------------------

Edit: Please check the last page for today's jobs, this has bumped it to the next page.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Here are some missions for the girls

Job #34: Missions

Mission #2: Ambush Interview
As Ulala, hit no less than four opponents with a single use of All-Star Move.

Mission #2: Time to Make History

As Chie, win a match during an overtime shootout.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Day over Sega Sports fans!

Well, actually I tell a lie, because Job #34: Create a mission for Challenge mode is going to be an ongoing job.

That's right, feel free to add missions as and when you want. There will be a one mission per post limit, but that's the only major restriction.

------------

Job #32 is still in play too; movesets still needed for Ristar, NIGHTS and Ryo Hazuki.

-------------

Okay, let's get back to field population. Even if we've got enough for a single team, how're we meant to fill a tournaments worth of characters if we don't expand the roster? Let's fix that right now!

Job #35: Add a character associated with Post Console Sega

That's right, we're coming out of the console generation of Sega(briefly), and looking at Sega characters from the more modern era. If they debuted after the Dreamcast stopped being a thing, they're eligible!

Obviously Chie and AiAi are out due to already being on the roster.

You have 24 hours to get your player signings in!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Can I submit an Atlus character who only ever appeared on the NES? A character who hasn't appeared, let alone debuted, after the quit, but also wasn't a Sega character until after the quit.
Hmmm...I'd say save that one for another prompt due to caveats involved, instead focusing on post Dreamcast era.

And I do mean save it, because there's a prompt coming up that something like that will be ideal for.

airConditioner

Smash Ace
Job 21: Leanne (Resonance of Fate)

I'm not going to pretend I know a lot about SEGA, which I don't. I've been following along this thread, Battle of AGES, and hell even my own PXZ thread to deepen my understanding. But of the SEGA games I have played, Leanne is one of my favorite SEGA heroines.

The game opens up with a punch in your face, Leanne being rescued by Zephyr in the most whimsically fairy tale romance way I've ever seen. Throughout the game, Leanne serves as an excellent comedic counterpart to her companions as well as delves into her own backstory. She grows as a character from the introduction to the end, which is always great to see. Also, I just really love the sheer rage that her Japanese voice actress brings and the sass her English voice actress conveys. Awesome.

Anyways, in a soccer game, I'd see Leanne as quick with a lot of air mobility, as a reference to Resonance of Fate's gameplay style. Perhaps references to the Tri-Attacks make her a more technical character? The gameplay of her origin is really unorthodox compared to other JRPGs I've played but I really think it would translate well to a sports game, especially in a game like soccer.
Please listen to the Resonance of Fate soundtrack

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #35: Achilles (Total War)

1647846725109.png

In Illiad, one of the common epithets Homer used for Achilles is Podarkes, or "swift-footed". This is not a coincidence, as it was a clear reference to the demigod's skills as a midfield striker! or not.

Achilles is the faction leader of Phtia in Total War Saga: Troy, the 2020 entry in the long-running RTS series and covers the oldest historical period the franchise ever had. While he's merely one of the several legendary warriors, I think he'd be more suitable as a football player due to personal bias his famed speed and stamina.

As a hot-blooded soldier who seeks the immortalization of the heroics gained through the battlefield, Achilles would have high physical stats but his passing and team-support skills would be limited. Echoing his infamous temper and the mechanics of his own game, he could also feature a mood mechanic where his stats change depending on his playtime performance.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Job #35: Phantom R (Rhythm Thief)

9E9E59A5-3B58-4D62-B4FB-8F65DE33547B.png

By day, 18 year old Raphael is just your average Parisian boy living in an apartment with his dog Fondue. Buy by night, he dawns the persona of Phantom R, a suave and charismatic gentleman thief infamous for stealing some of Paris’ most famous artworks only to return them a few days later. His main objective in doing so is to find his father, who disappeared three years prior to the game’s events.

As the titular Rhythm Thief, I can see Phantom R being an incredibly agile character who can easily sneak past his opponents. His special moves would also likely incorporate rhythm game inputs which require players to press buttons at just the right time to see the best results. Honestly, I just think he’s neat! Raph is a cool character with a lot to pull from and Rhythm Thief is a great game that everyone should check out. If you’re a fan of rhythm games or adventure games in a similar vein to the Professor Layton series, I urge you to pick it up whenever you can, especially with the 3DS eShop shutting down soon.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Character #09: Ryo Hazuki

Media Nickname: The Tireless Avenger

Stats:
Speed: 6
Strength: 5
Defense: 4
Shooting: 6
Passing: 3
Skill: 7

Super-Star Move: Tornado Kick

Ryo uses a technique he learned from Tom Johnson. Starting the move, Ryo performs a jumping high roundhouse kick with his rear leg to gain height and kick the ball up along with himself. Then using the momentum of the first kick, he then does a hook kick with his other leg, sending the ball to the goal with great precision.

All-Star Move: Capsule Toy

Ryo pulls out a capsule figure from a plastic sphere and raises it triumphantly to the air, shouting “This is it!”. As a result, a random copy of a fighter who doesn’t participate in the game will be summoned by him. These copies are controlled by AI and will prioritize passing to Ryo and taking passes from him. Their stats are slightly lower than the player they are based on and cannot use any skills. They vanish after 20 seconds.

Star-Burst Move: Shadow Step

Ryo sidesteps to go forward a short distance. If he moves behind a player from the opposing team, he can trip them with an elbow strike (behind the referee’s back). Due to his intangibility frames, Ryo can dodge most attempts to steal the ball from him while using this special but will be left in a vulnerable situation if the other players can predict his move as the burst distance he gains is really not that much.

Goal-Star Move: Working Man

Ryo looks up and then dodges a forklift falling from the sky just in time before he hops on it, saying “Get out of the way!”. For a short while, Ryo operates the forklift, using its large frame to block any shots coming his way. With correct timing, he can even send back balls at great speeds. However, Ryo will be far slower and not very maneuverable in this form and he inevitably crashes it when the timer ends.

Goal Victories:
  1. Ryo raises his fist to the air, exclaiming “I need to do this ... for my father.”
  2. Ryo bows in respect and then takes an offensive stance, saying “Let’s get sweaty!”
  3. Ryo takes out a Winning Can soda and drinks from it to quench his thirst.
MVP:

Driving a forklift, Ryo skits to a stop before looking up and saying “I don’t have time to mess around with you.”

Losing:
  1. Ryo sighs and drops to a squat, muttering “It feels as if my journey will never get to an end.” or “Nozomi…wait a little longer for me.”
  2. Ryo punches the goalpost in frustration and lowers his head.
  3. Ryo holds his stomach and drops to the ground with a pained grunt.
Kit:

Ryo’s kit has a white base for his shirt, a light blue one for his shorts. He wears white, red, and black sneakers and also has a bandage on his cheek.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Job #35: Doctor (Two Point Hospital)

Two Point Hospital is a game released in 2018 and published by Sega. It's a spiritual successor to a legendary classic, Theme Hospital, and like that game it is a comedic business management sim where you as a hapless hospital director have to manage patients at a struggling hospital and build it up into a shining beacon of a clinic. Two Point Hospital, just like Theme Hospital before it, is known for every patient having an extremely wacky illness, often ones that are punny or just plain silly. For example, Lightheadedness, which is cured by unscrewing the patient's lightbulb head and putting their normal one back on, or "Hurty Leg" which is simple but funny.

1647869617448.png
1647870077909.png

Being a trained medical professional, the Doctor would have the ability to "diagnose" other players as part of their special moves with unique comical illnesses. These could range from generic ("Lead Foot" could make any player's feet swell up and hinder their movement, for example) to specialized per-character ("Animal Magnetism" for animal creatures which makes them stick to other players, or perhaps "Major Malfunction" for robot characters?). I just think the sense of humor really works well with a sports game!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Job #35: Alicia Melchiott (Valkyria Chronicles)
VC_Alicia_Melchiott.png

Whilst you may think 'what's a soldier got to do with football', Alicia Melchiott has proven herself a worthy foe at beach volleyball, able to lay Welkin out with a single spike. With her unique abilities, she'll no doubt have an incredible power shot on her. Not only that she's proven time and time again that she's a real team player, even if she's used to carrying the rest of her team.

This baker is ready to roll you out on the field, with her special abilities!

--------------------

1 HOUR REMAINS.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

That's the final whistle for today!

--------------------

Firstly, movesets for Ristar/NiGHTS and Ryo are still in play. Osby's made one for Ryo, but the task will end on Friday, so you have some time to get those movesets in!

----------------------------

Job #35: Let's look at what our post Dreamcast signings!
  • Kiryu always gives everything his all, whether it's karaoke, box car racing, playing the Sega Toylet or being an estate agent. Why would Football be any different? Just beware if he starts gathering too much heat...the Dragon of Dojima doesn't go easy on his opponents. Submitted by his manager and karaoke partner, @Darkonedagger
  • Leanne is back with her acrobatic aerial moves that'll put even NiGHTS to shame! If she gets in expect her to surprise and dazzle you with her Tri-Attacks and slick style. Submitted by her manager and Subject #21, airConditioner airConditioner
  • Achilles, the legendary hero of Troy is here and he's ready to show his legendary stamina, speed and skill on the field. Obviously he has one major weakpoint, but maybe a pair of cleats can cover that for him to make him truly unstoppable. Submitted by his manager and footwear advisor, osby osby
  • Phantom R is here to steal the ball, the applause, the show and the hearts of the fans! This rhythmic rascal is sly, slick and slippery able to get past opponents with ease! Submitted by his manager and toe tapping tailor, OrpheusTelos OrpheusTelos
  • Doctor is in! It never hurts to have a medical professional near the field in case of injuries...or maybe it does in this case as he'll diagnose you with the most bizarre and exotic diseases you've ever heard of, and it has one hell of a placebo effect. Submitted by his manager and open heart surgery assistant, Flyboy Flyboy
  • Alicia Melchiott has been allowed to take some leave from defending Gallia to represent her country and relieve a little of the wartime stress in a (hopefully) relaxing game of football...unfortunately for her it seems she may have traded one warzone for another...submitted by her manager and Lancer unit soldier, me YoshiandToad YoshiandToad
These are your signing candidates. Please vote for your top three, with your own in third at highest. Once again we have 24 hours on this vote!

---------------------------------------

Job #36: Come up with a Double Star special ability for our current players
For those of you unsure what this is, it's a two man special attack that is built up through team bonds. These moves are a combination of the All-Star and Super-Star special moves in that they can cause chaos on the field and then be used to score a two for one goal.

To get us started, I'll begin with one(bolded an italicised to help it stand out in this post, you can post normally):

Job #36: Alex Kidd + Ristar: Lost Stars Shoot

Alex Kidd grows his fists with Shellcore as Ristar grabs ahold of his feet, and spins him around like a whirling dervish. Due to Ristar's elongated limbs and Alex's limb growth this melee move covers a surprising amount of the field, and clears a huge amount of space.

At the end of the spin, providing the ball is within their range, Alex will land, punch the ground with a Shellcore fist, launching the ball up, pulling his leg back with Ristar still grabbed ahold of his foot. Alex will then kick with all his might and launch Ristar who will rocket forward and deliver a devastating headbutt on the ball, smashing it into the goal with all their combined might.

If this isn't blocked by a Goal-Star move, it nets them two points.

Hope that helps with the explaination. All our current players are valid for Double Star specials too btw, including our secret characters and yet to be movesetted characters, so feel free to get creative with some wild combo shots!

You have 24 hours for this initial batch of Double Star special ideas!

We'll return to them again at a later point, with it being first come first serve to the special shots...unless there's an objection to a move by a fellow member, in which case I'd suggest submitting the same one and we can put it to a vote.

That's all for today! Get those votes, movesets and Double Star combo attack ideas in and we'll see you tomorrow Sega sports fans!

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
  1. Leanne
  2. Phantom R
  3. Doctor

Job #36: Chie Satonaka + Ryo Hazuki: Dragon and Phoenix Shoot

As Ryo throws a few warming punches, Chie summons Tomoe beside him with a spin kick, who then spins her polearm and casts Power Charge on both of them. Surrounded by an orange aura that indicates their powered-up state, Ryo and Chie rush to the ball, knocking anyone in their path out of the way.

During this, Ryo might say "It's time we finish this!" and Chie can reply "That awesomely stoic strength... Alright, Master!".

If they are able to reach their target before the end of their dash, Chie kicks the ball up to Ryo who then jumps and performs a modified version of Darkside Hazuki, a series of palm hits, elbow strikes, and punches, on it, accompanied by purely visual QTE commands. In the end, he launches the ball to the goal with a mighty shoulder check.

As a final boost, Chie commands Tomoe to cast Agneyastra, turning the shot into a literal meteor strike right before it hits the target.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Votes
1. Doctor
2. Achilles
3. Alicia

Job #36: Alex Kidd + Princess Kurumi: Shinobi Strike
Alex Kidd will become possessed by the soul of the White Ninja, transforming him into a Shinobi, complete with sword. Alex will slice opponents in front of them away, whilst Princess Kurumi fires shurikens to the sides clearing them some room.

At the end of the charge, Kurumi will leap up throwing one gigantic kunai down that will become stuck in the ground.
Alex will begin to swing around it as fast as he can, eventually catching on fire from sheer friction and rotation speed. Kurumi will then vanish from the top of the Kunai, appearing under the ball and balancing it perfectly on her head.

Alex will release himself as a gigantic fireball and speed headfirst towards Kurumi who will replace herself with a log. The log is burnt to a cinder and smashed into splinters as Alex's skull combines with the football sending it speeding towards the goal.

---------

You have just over 4 hours to get your Double Star moves and votes in!

PuyoWitch

Smash Apprentice
Character #10: Nights

Nights.png

Media Nickname:
The Dream Warrior

Stats:
Speed: 7
Strength: 3
Defense: 4
Shooting: 6
Passing: 5
Skill: 5

Super-Star Move: Dolphin Form
Move over Ecco! You won't be the only dolphin in this game*. As Nights puts on the Dolphin Persona mask introduced in Journey to Dreams, they have the ability to dive through the floor, leaving a pool of water and teleport around the stage for a limited amount of time. A perfect move to both catch up to an opponent, and it's fantastic for stealing the ball and tripping up opponents.

All-Star Move: Rocket Drill Dash
Move over Chuchus! You aren't the only ones with rocke...oh, it's not in this one yet? Never mind. As Nights puts on their Rocket Persona mask, they stand still for only a moment before charging at the player of their choice with a drill dash, before becoming a rocket halfway through. This will knock out the other team's player for a limited time, as well as briefly stun any other rival teammate that's in the way.

Star-Burst Move: Dragon Form
Move over Blue Dr--okay, I'm done. So, last but not least of our masked forms, we have the Dragon Persona mask. When they put it on, it turns them into a dragon for a limited time that can't be knocked down on the field while it's active. Also, they take a small decrease in speed while wearing it, but in exchange, their defense and strength shoot through the roof.

Goal-Star Move: Dualize
Dualize! It's the process Nights uses to 'be in sync' with the various visitors of their world, basically combining themselves. Nights themselves has dualized with two other people at the same time before, creating two Nights in the process. Effectively, this will summon a second Nights to the field who acts a second goalie, effectively giving you double the control over the goal.

Goal Victories:
  1. Nights does a paraloop to show off, before breaking out their dream flute to play a quick victory tune.
  2. Nights twirls and then takes a bow, like the end of stage ranking you get in Journey to Dreams (Which is also a reference to the intro of Nights into Dreams).
  3. Ideyas swirl around Nights as they twirl and fly up into the sky, before stretching their arms out. Basically a showy version of the end of stage ranking from the original Nights into Dreams.
MVP:
Two Nights are on the field, twirling around before the two kids dualized with Nights separate from them and gently fall down, with a sparkle. Either Elliot and Claris or Will and Helen would join Nights on the field (randomized), as Nights would twirl around in the air with them, before doing a pose with their dream flute as a crescent moon appears behind them.

Losing:

1. Nights scoffs and turns their head, before shrugging it off by making a funny face at their opponent (see the intro of Nights into Dreams if you need a reference for that)
  2. Nights stops floating and falls forward onto their knees, defeated.
  3. Nights turns into a trombone, and makes a sad trombone sound.
Kit:
Nights' purple, white, pink, and gold is both iconic, and looks really good together, so I wouldn't rock the boat on their kit. At most, I would add cleat spikes to the bottom of their heels, and make their jersey similar in style to a certain visitor they've dualized with who plays football.

*As it stands Ecco is not yet in this game, but has a strong chance of getting in

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
PEEP

That's the whistle!

Let's look at the final results of Job #35:
  • Kiryu: 16
  • Leanne: 7
  • Achilles: 4
  • Phantom R: 8
  • Doctor: 10
  • Alicia: 16
HMMMM! Looks like we have a draw between Kiryu and Alicia.

Well, I guess the only sensible solution is to sign them both. This final roster is going to be pretty big anyway after all! Congratulations to @Darkonedagger for

-----------------------------------------------------

Nice to see a moveset for NiGHTS PuyoWitch PuyoWitch . That's great stuff! Ristar is now the only one without any movesets to his name, but Job #32: Ristar/NiGHTS and Ryo Movesets is remaining in play until Friday!

Was it easier to give you guys a week to come up with movesets? Let me know! Gotta pick what's best for everyone ya know?

-----------------------------------------------------

Job #36, confirmed Double Star specials:
  • Alex Kidd + Ristar: Lost Stars Shoot
  • Chie Satonoka + Ryo Hazuki: Dragon and Phoenix Shoot
  • Alex Kidd + Princess Kurumi: Shinobi Strike
These will be added alongside their descriptions to the OP.

----------------------------------------------------

Time for a new Job!

Job #37: Submit a Game Gear player
We're now going back on ourselves, but please submit a player from the Game Gear era. For this they don't have to have debuted, but just be strongly associated with the handheld.

You have 24 hours on this job!

and whilst we're not going to throw another job into the mix just yet...

Half time Discussion #1: Which series do you most want to see get a player from?

We haven't really had a chance to discuss anything yet. Let's cool our jets with some general light hearted half time discussion! (No this doesn't mean we're half way through the game yet at all)

Whilst I'm sure everyone has specific favourite characters they want in, I feel like if I say series you guys can keep your most wanteds secret!

Okay, that's all for today! Seeya tomorrow sports fans!

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm going to put some thought into my Game Gear character but I'm really excited to do so. Lots of fun potential here.

As for halftime discussion, I think Puyo Puyo would be high on my list, but I don't specifically want Arle. If I did I could have theoretically submitted her here considering Madou Monogatari... I just think I'd rather see one of the newer protagonists get the spot! Arle is often used in fan crossovers for good reason, but Amitie is a ray of sunshine who fits the game well, and Ringo is my personal favorite (and a mathe-magician is a very fun idea...she's a bookworm, what's she doing here?!).

Another series that I'm sure is an inevitability is Phantasy Star and I'm sure Nei will get in eventually. You have no complaints from me - she's one of my close-to-my-heart picks that I love to see in any and all crossovers.

Ever since coming up with the idea of a Two Point Hospital rep I've felt it'd be perfect here. It works with the Superstars/All Stars branding, too, as Transformed had plenty of second-party PC characters. It was nice to see people support the Doctor submission!

I really would like to see some interesting Virtua Fighter and Fighting Vipers picks. Fighting Vipers could probably just go with Honey, as she's fantastic, but Virtua Fighter using an unusual pick could be really fun. Jeffrey McWild has potential but there's another character that I'm thinking of that may be showing up in the future once he's eligible.

In terms of one-offs I want to see, I'm absolutely tickled by Battle Golfer Yui and really hope she gets in. And my personal favorite playable weird picks would be the SEGA Hard Girls. I prefer them as assists in Battle of AGES but for this I love the idea of this three-in-one character running around trying to play the beautiful game. They're just a fun deep cut that amuse me.

Also, generally, it'd be nice to see some guests...second parties are obviously on the table but what about the interesting licensed characters SEGA has access to? I wouldn't want just anyone as a guest, no Danica Patrick moments here, but perhaps Hatsune Miku, Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star, or Tatsumi from Initial D? Of course, that depends on the thread-runner's prerogative, but still, pretty fun.

Other than that, I'm enjoying the fun variety of it all! I hope to see more weird picks, colorful characters, and deep dives into Sega history.

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
Honestly, I'm just gonna keep fighting whenever possible to get something, anything, based on Ecco the Dolphin in here. Ecco's my favorite Sega property outside of Sonic, and we know Sonic will be well-repped. I don't care if we get Ecco himself as a player, an Ecco-based stadium, or some other crazy thing (I can't think of any potential sponsorships for the series tbh), I just want this game to get in.

Flicky would be really cool too, so I'll support her if possible as well

PuyoWitch

Smash Apprentice
First up, lemme get to the discussion right here.

We already got a lot of my all-time favorite SEGA franchises in with Valkyria Chronicles, Yakuza, Nights, and Persona. Personally, I would love to give them all second reps if we have the roster space, but I know that's not really what this topic is about.

As for franchises I love without reps currently, Panzer Dragoon, Streets of Rage, and Puyo Puyo are the big ones. Puyo Puyo I'd also love numerous reps if we can fit them. Any of the protagonists or side characters in those games would make fun characters, honestly.

I'm going to second Virtua Fighter and Fighting Vipers, and add maybe Power Instinct or Larcen Tyler from Eternal Champions or something. I just like fighting games...

And then if we're talking single games, I'd add Last Bronx to the pool of fighting games, and one of my all-time favorite RPGs is Skies of Arcadia. A playable character from that would be great. Probably Vyse or Aika, but I'm not picky.

I'd also love to get to licensed or third-party reps with strong ties to SEGA, although I'd probably keep what games/franchises I would submit for them close to my chest.

Job #37: Dr. Ferdinand Social (Vampire - Master of Darkness)
Ferdinand Social.png

Vampire- Master of Darkness is a game where you play as a psychologist looking to find and bring down Dracula who he believes to be the true culprit in a series of murders around London. It's a rip-off of Castlevania and a pretty blatant one at that. Strangely, it's a genuinely really fun horror/platformer and recognized as one of the best titles on the platform. The story gets a little tasteless, so I kept it vague, but it's clearly meant to have a vibe similar to late 1800's gothic literature.

Our protagonist, Dr. Ferdinand Social, is a sword-wielding psychologist who is obsessed with his ouija board and uses it to frequently talk to spirits. That's about all that we have to go off of, but if he was accepted, I think we can get original with him. In addition to being a monster slayer, I would give him the power to control ghosts in his moves.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #37: El (Last Bible)

1648034290388.png

Last Bible is the first of a short series released between 1992 and 1995 and is a part of the larger Megami Tensei franchise. These games tend to be lighter in tone and take place in a fantasy setting similar to Dragon Quest. Even though this game was first released for Game Boy, it later received an enhanced port for Game Gear, which added quite a bit of unique content.

El is the hero of the game and a 16-year-old student of the occult Gaia school. After his graduation was interrupted by a monster attack, he and his friends set on a journey to stop the Gaia Masters who brought upon this calamity.

Hailing from a more standard game about a heroic quest that definitely doesn't get disturbingly dark and existential towards the end, I can see El in this game more easily than most other MegaTen protagonists. His skill set, while focused on swords and physical moves, includes fire, electric, force, and teleportation magic. He can also control demons (or monsters, as they are called in here).

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Most wanted series IMO would be ChuChu Rocket and Bonanza Bros, maybe also a classic-exclusive Sonic character... speaking of which,

Fang the Sniper

One of the most popular obscure Sonic characters, (a bit of an oxymoron, eh?) this treasure hunting fiend would spring on his tail to get to the ball quicker and shoot his popgun to take out approaching opponents.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Job 37: Princess Iris (Crystal Warriors)
1648060697100.png

Crystal Warriors is a Game Gear strategy RPG released in 1991, though it was later rereleased on the 3DS eShop as well. It's a cute and fun little game that was well-received upon release and even had a sequel in Japan. Iris is the protagonist, a sorceress who uses elemental magic as well as the ability to tame monsters and use them in combat - which is certain to help her on the field. It's not the deepest game from a story perspective but it was at the time a rather impressive strategy option on-the-go, and I just think Iris is cute!

1648062408459.png

By the way, there were a few other fun characters on the Game Gear I didn't go for, including Book from Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap, Larcen Tyler (he had a solo game called Chicago Syndicate), and a few others, including one I think I'm gonna submit for a sponsorship. It's a really interesting pool - I actually owned a Game Gear as a kid and Sonic Spinball for Game Gear is the first game I remember playing!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Job #37: Blue Dragon

Panzer Dragoon Mini Box Art.jpg

I'll level with you, I think the standard Blue Dragon may be a little too large on the pitch as a player.

But this highly marketable and adorable baby Blue Dragon? Absolutely perfect. Look at his ickle face! He's adorable!

Panzer Dragoon mini was a Game Gear version of the Panzer Dragoon gameplay and also marks the only time in the series history where the dragon is flying solo. No rider here!

--------------------------

Most wanted series?
Well I'm pretty fortunate in that I've got Alex Kidd, Valkyria Chronicles and at least one obscure arcade retro character in already. Plus Sonic, but that's barely a surprising take. My other big favourite is Streets of Rage which hopefully we'll get to at some point...oh and Ecco. Good old Ecco. Love that dolphin.

I think I'd like to see some characters from Sega subsidaries and partners outside of Atlus and Compile though. No offence to Puyo and Persona fans but we see them pretty often in crossover suggestions and they seem to be the ONLY ones that get a look in. I think these franchises definitely warrant inclusion but I'd like to look into the lesser focused on areas too.

Stuff like Treasure, Vic Tokai, Sammy, Creative Assembly, Amplitude Studios and Two Point Studios characters.
Doctor amused me greatly, and now I kinda want more of that.
Everyone from the Battle of Ages thread knows how much I've gone to bat for Horatio, and although I am struggling to see him playing an uncouth game like football, I definitely would like to see someone from Endless make the cut.
I used Psycho Fox and Horatio as example templates for player movesets and sponsorships. This shouldn't be that much of a surprise!

Oh, and more one and done retro characters. I absolutely adore a quirky retro.

----------------

2.5 hours remain on today's Game Gear submissions job!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
WHISTLE BLOWING INTENSIFIES

Day over, let's take a look at our submissions!

Job #37: Game Gear player submissions

Lots of characters I'm not too familiar with this time round, this is going to be interesting!
  • Dr. Ferdinand Social has stopped hunting the undead down enough to engage in a game of football. Luckily we don't have any vampires on the field to worry about right now...although we'll see how he feels about Ebitan. Submitted by his manager and patient PuyoWitch PuyoWitch
  • El is bringing some monsterous moves to the field...or rather just monsters. With his physical prowess and teleportation it seems like he'll be quite the force to reckon with. Submitted by his manager and homeroom teacher osby osby
  • Fang the Sniper is used to taking shots on a target, but usually it's in a more lethal form. Bounty hunting doesn't appear to pay as well as it once did but fortunately he has a real Nack for football too. Submitted by his manager and failed assassination target, Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario
  • Princess Iris is ready to match monsters on the field with El it seems, as she's bringing her own pack of critters and magical spells to the field! Hopefully Dr. Ferdinand Social is okay with monsters as this vote off is going to get pretty brutal at this rate! Submitted by her manager and royal advisor, Flyboy Flyboy
  • Blue Dragon soars onto the field in it's miniature adorable form. No stranger to crazy shots, Blue Dragon isn't dragon it's heels in this showing...okay...I'm...I'm sorry for that one. Submitted by his manager and invisible rider, me, YoshiandToad YoshiandToad
Please vote for your top three, with your own in third at highest.

As always, you have 24 hours on this job!

Job #32: Ristar/NiGHTS/Ryo Hazuki is still in play until Friday!
Ristar is currently missing a moveset if anyone wishes to help him out!

Job #38: Submit a 32x/Sega CD player

We're almost complete with the Sega console character submissions, but we have a few consoles remaining!
Submit a Sega character associated with either the 32X or the Sega/Mega CD! Yep, it's a little cheeky but I'm sticking these two together!

24 hours on this job!

That's all for today Sega Sports fans! See you in 24 hours for the results of our Game Gear player, the voting on our 32x/Mega/Sega CD player and a brand new task!

PuyoWitch

Smash Apprentice
I NEED to get in on this one, but I will submit my votes for now.

1. Blue Dragon (I'm sorry this lil' guy with a jersey is the cutest thing I can think of)
2. Princess Iris (I really like her. Cool design, and her game seems cool)
3. El (I've heard of but never really played this game, but I like the mage moveset a lot)

D

Deleted member

1. Dragon
2. Iris
3. Social

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom