• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Creates: PlayStation All Stars 2

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
1. Alucard
2. Etna
3. The Survivors

Sadly, i've not played a single Ape Escape game to suggest a boss, the only ones i know are two robots controlled by Specter.
1623332287177.png

Would this one fair?

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
1. Selene
2. Snake
3. Alucard

Edit: I looked up some videos of Rift Apart, and it looks like we have an alternate dimension counterpart of Clank and Rivet's partner, Kit (I don't want to mention much for spoilers).

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Our newest rivalries are Sly Cooper vs. Chloe Frazer, and Jak and Daxter vs. Joel and Ellie!

I doubled checked my counting for the DLC character, and it seems like we have a tie for first.

Bambi: 1
Survivors: 3
Kiryu: 3
Etna: 5
Selene: 6
Snake: 13
Alucard: 13

I've included an option for both of them in case that's what people want - they wouldn't be rivals to each other, though. (we'd have nominations for characters to be Alucard's rival and characters to be Snake's rival if "both" wins)

---

There's also going to be a poll for the Ape Escape bosses - I'll include videos of them in action to give people an idea of what to expect.

-Mesal Gear: https://youtu.be/d-iOdIuPLMA?t=4228
-Goliath/Specter: https://youtu.be/-DVAJXB7mqk?t=296

---

I was planning to have another character nomination today, but since it's unclear who's getting in, I'll leave it for now. Instead, we'll nominate rivalries for Pyramid Head and Sweet Tooth. Here are the remaining options:

Ratchet and Clank
Leon Kennedy
Pyramid Head
Fat Princess
Spike
Heihachi Mishima
Sweet Tooth
Ellen
Dr. Nefarious
Raven

My nominations are:

Sweet Tooth vs. Fat Princess - both of them love their sweets to the point where they're willing to get violent if they don't get them (in the previous game, Sweet Tooth tried to kill a man over spilled ice cream, while Fat Princess attacked someone because they wouldn't give her cake), despite their wildly different appearances/personalities.

Pyramid Head vs. Ellen - I'm not familiar with Folklore, but from what I've seen, the game seems to be about dealing with supernatural/otherworldly threats, and Pyramid Head definitely fits that bill.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I actually suggest these two to be each other's rivals if that's allowed.

Pyramid Head vs Sweet Tooth: Sweet Tooth committed a lot of atrocities and he seems like the type of guy Silent Hill would want to punish. Plus, their franchises started in the same console.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I actually suggest these two to be each other's rivals if that's allowed.

Pyramid Head vs Sweet Tooth: Sweet Tooth committed a lot of atrocities and he seems like the type of guy Silent Hill would want to punish. Plus, their franchises started in the same console.
Yeah, that's allowed; we had one day where we nominated rivals for Yu Narukami and Kat from Gravity Rush, and the option that won was putting those two against each other.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Our newest rivalries are Sly Cooper vs. Chloe Frazer, and Jak and Daxter vs. Joel and Ellie!

I doubled checked my counting for the DLC character, and it seems like we have a tie for first.

Bambi: 1
Survivors: 3
Kiryu: 3
Etna: 5
Selene: 6
Snake: 13
Alucard: 13

I've included an option for both of them in case that's what people want - they wouldn't be rivals to each other, though. (we'd have nominations for characters to be Alucard's rival and characters to be Snake's rival if "both" wins)

---

There's also going to be a poll for the Ape Escape bosses - I'll include videos of them in action to give people an idea of what to expect.

-Mesal Gear: https://youtu.be/d-iOdIuPLMA?t=4228
-Goliath/Specter: https://youtu.be/-DVAJXB7mqk?t=296

---

I was planning to have another character nomination today, but since it's unclear who's getting in, I'll leave it for now. Instead, we'll nominate rivalries for Pyramid Head and Sweet Tooth. Here are the remaining options:

Ratchet and Clank
Leon Kennedy
Pyramid Head
Fat Princess
Spike
Heihachi Mishima
Sweet Tooth
Ellen
Dr. Nefarious
Raven

My nominations are:

Sweet Tooth vs. Fat Princess - both of them love their sweets to the point where they're willing to get violent if they don't get them (in the previous game, Sweet Tooth tried to kill a man over spilled ice cream, while Fat Princess attacked someone because they wouldn't give her cake), despite their wildly different appearances/personalities.

Pyramid Head vs. Ellen - I'm not familiar with Folklore, but from what I've seen, the game seems to be about dealing with supernatural/otherworldly threats, and Pyramid Head definitely fits that bill.
Personally, i'd rather have Alucard. I understand Snake's importance here, though i can't shake off the nitpicking idea on just leaving in smash bros were he's already a fighter. Plus, realistically if Metal Gear were to be in the same fighting with Death Stranding, Konami or Kojima would just pull out due to heated history with each other(If only they can make up their differences.....as well some people in this world....sigh)

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Personally, i'd rather have Alucard. I understand Snake's importance here, though i can't shake off the nitpicking idea on just leaving in smash bros were he's already a fighter. Plus, realistically if Metal Gear were to be in the same fighting with Death Stranding, Konami or Kojima would just pull out due to heated history with each other(If only they can make up their differences.....as well some people in this world....sigh)
Yeah I voted for just Alucard for that same reason, Snake's already in Smash so I'd rather give the spotlight to other characters.

---

Editing in my rivalry suggestions

Sweet Tooth's rival would be Leon. They both hail from PS1 franchises with dark tones and atmospheres, dealing in the supernatural. Sweet Tooth is a serial killer with numerous past encounters with the police, and Leon is a Raccoon City PD officer, so their rivalry would have Leon try to apprehend Sweet Tooth for his crimes.

Pyramid Head's rival would be Heihachi. Because if you think about it Heihachi's hair is shaped like a triangle. Pyramid Head in Silent Hill 2 is the representation of protagonist James Sunderland's guilt for a traumatic decision he made in the past. If there's something that characterizes Heihachi is the amount of atrocious deeds he has committed and how unrepentant he is about them. So their rivalry would have Pyramid Head appear before Heihachi (perhaps performing a twisted version of Heihachi dropping Kazuya off a cliff, or something that would haunt him) and Heihachi would attack the monster with no reservations.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Going by the polls yesterday, Specter in his Goliath robot will be added as an arcade mode boss, while both Snake and Alucard will be added as DLC characters.

We got more rivalry suggestions than normal, so I'm not sure how well the poll method will work, but it's been working so far. If Sweet Tooth vs. Pyramid Head wins one of the polls, that takes priority; otherwise, I'll go with whoever wins either poll.

---

Today, we'll nominate the DLC character that will serve as Alucard's rival. This choice doesn't need to have any logic behind it for why the two are rivals - you can go with a logical option if you want, but given the first game's DLC, it's not necessary.

I have some ideas, but I'll let other people nominate characters first; I need to look into some details to see how much sense they would make.

Last edited:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Alucard's Rival: Raziel (Legacy of Kain)

Raziel.png

Raziel is the main protagonist of Crystal Dynamics' popular series called Legacy of Kain, where he debuted in Soul Reaver, in which he was the titular character's second-in-command/lieutenant and surpassed him, immediately executed due to his jealousy. Later resurrected by The Elder God as a wraith, Raziel decided to avenge himself by making it his mission to kill Kain.

Raziel has moveset potential with his claws, the Wraith Blade, glyphs and other kinds of weapons. He also has powers like telekinesis (both statis & force projectiles), shifting between spectral/material realms to become intangible (likely used for invisibility/teleporting here), elemental powers, absorbing souls (stealing AP energy), etc.

His Level 3 super may involve Raziel pulling opponents into the Spectral Realm, twisting the stage and turning them into souls (much like Sackboy's Prize Bubble Bonus). He has a small speed boost and can drag them in within a set distance in-front of him by pulling down his scarf, swallowing opponents in the form of a soul sphere.

For rivalry connections, Alucard and Raziel are simply said vampires (in fact, ex-vampire for latter) who debuted on PlayStation 1 in the late 1990's, has access to multiple amounts of weapons and similar magical abilities. They even seek revenge towards a fellow vampire who is the major antagonist in their series; Dracula (Alucard's father) and Kain (Raziel's former master).

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
For Alucard's rival I'd like to resubmit Bambi from the previous voting period. Bambi could really be anybody's rival as he represents the entire PS brand, basically being a anglicized Toro.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I'd like to resubmit Kiryu as alucards rival, The connection is very loose, I just think those 2 interacting would be funny.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Alucard's Rival: Wander (Shadow of the Colossus)

Wander is the protagonist of Shadow of the Colossus, the second game by Team Ico. It released in 2005 for the PS2 to widespread critical acclaim, and is to this day referred to as one of the greatest games ever made and an example of the artistic potential of videogames. It received a remake in 2018 by Bluepoint.

Wander's arsenal, like everything in Shadow of the Colossus, is stark and minimalistic, however I think he has enough to make a moveset. He has several swords and bows to choose from, he could have command grabs (to represent how he climbs the Colossi), and of course he has his faithful horse Agro. One of his supers would likely be the ending (not spoiling it but you know if you played it).

Alucard's rivalry with Wander would consist of the dhampyr trying to dissuade Wander from his quest to slay the Colossi, having heard of the great evil known as Dormin that Wander made a deal with. However Wander is resolute and so Alucard decides he must stop him at all costs.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The winner of the previous poll was Sweet Tooth vs. Pyramid Head in both cases, so that will be their rivalry.

Today, we're going to vote on which DLC character will be added alongside Alucard. (I had a nomination in mind, but while writing it out, I didn't feel like my write-up was very good, so I decided against it)

-Raziel (Legacy of Kain) ( tonygameman tonygameman )
-Bambi (PS2 advertising) ( Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario )
-Kazuma Kiryu (Yakuza) ( cashregister9 cashregister9 )
-Wander (Shadow of the Colossus) ( GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 )

Vote for your top three, and you can only put your own nomination in third.

1. Wander
2. Kiryu
3. Raziel

We're also going to be nominating a boss idea (arcade or fusion) from a first party game/series that isn't on the playable roster. (though since we've already got a Shadow of the Colossus boss, maybe it's better to focus on a game other than that) I figure that Sony's got a bunch of properties that we haven't really dug into for one reason or another, and it would be neat to see them included in the game in some form, even if they aren't on the playable roster. (if it's a fusion boss, then only one part of the boss has to be from a game/series that isn't on the roster)

Beiloune Praxis

Beiloune (Okage: Shadow King) and Baron Praxis (Jak and Daxter) are forcefully fused together by the story mode's villain, creating a giant demonic version of Baron Praxis. (Praxis's mind takes charge of the fusion) This results in a mix of Beiloune's brute strength from this form and Praxis's weaponry (bombs, missiles, guns) - the boss fight itself is relatively straightforward (he's a big target), but this could be an early boss fight in the story mode.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The results are:

Bambi: 3
Raziel: 5
Kiryu: 7
Wander: 9

As a result, Wander will be added to the playable roster! GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 posted a rough outline of how his moveset could work, but if anyone wants to elaborate on that, feel free.

I was the only one to nominate anything for the boss idea, so I won't do anything with that rather than have my idea win by default.

For today, we're going to nominate a stage to be included with the first DLC pack. Like with the pairs of characters, the DLC stage doesn't need to have anything to do with who it's included with - Kat and Emmett Graves came with a stage that fused Heavenly Sword and WipeOut.

Feudal Japan (Ghost of Tsushima)

This stage takes place in one of the many wind-swept plains of feudal Japan, as seen in the game Ghost of Tsushima. Leaves are falling from the trees and drifting through the air as warriors duel in the background, resembling famous battles that actually took place in ancient Japan.

...so here's this giant enemy crab...

This stage crosses over with Genji: Days of the Blade when the samurai duel in the background is interrupted by an attack from a giant enemy crab, which crawls across the stage in the background as the two samurai try to fend off its claws. Eventually, it will leap into the foreground if hazards are on. By hitting its legs, players can flip this crab over on its back, so that they can attack its weak point for massive damage. Defeating the crab causes it to drop items, allowing for real-time weapon change.

Yes, this entire stage idea was an excuse for me to reference a fifteen-year-old E3 meme.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Can I submit a Spider-Man: Miles Morales stage? I'll strip it of all Disney-copyrighted characters and content, and call it a "PS5" stage instead of Spidey.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Can I submit a Spider-Man: Miles Morales stage? I'll strip it of all Disney-copyrighted characters and content, and call it a "PS5" stage instead of Spidey.
At that point, it likely wouldn't even be a Spider-Man: Miles Morales stage any more if you removed all of the characters and other Disney-owned elements - it would, in all likelihood, just be New York City. We've managed to avoid including licensed properties like Spider-Man throughout the entire topic, and I don't see why we'd start now.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
At that point, it likely wouldn't even be a Spider-Man: Miles Morales stage any more if you removed all of the characters and other Disney-owned elements - it would, in all likelihood, just be a generic city. We've managed to avoid including licensed properties like Spider-Man throughout the entire topic, and I don't see why we'd start now.
OK, I think I'll go for Rift Apart instead as the intent with the stage was an "evolution of graphics" theme.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Rayon Revolution (Bubsy 3D/Ratchet & Clank)

This stage begins off on Planet Rayon from Bubsy 3D, rendered in low, low poly... glory? Woolies (the aliens in the Bubsy series) can be seen hopping around. The stage begins off with this somewhat tricky layout.
6B63C6FC-74E6-4F2E-99F6-27E657C38D33.jpeg

After a bit of time a crack effect will appear on screen, startling the Woolies. A big, neon, alien city starts to errect out from the inside of the low-fidelity mountains, and the foreground begins to slowly morph into a high poly metal ground and become more reasonably shaped one-by-one with the leftmost platform shrinking and straightening, the wall falling to form a bridge, and the soft platform expanding but losing its incline.
B1921D38-2B6A-45B1-8F0C-BFCDDDA01978.jpeg

While the stage is morphing, the Woolies are scampering about and rushing off-stage, but once the stage has finished its transformation they return in a form better resembling their design from Woolies Strike Back, doing what they do best - stealing wool while being chased around by the alien natives who really want it back.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
With Snake and Alucard in the game, I've got some costume ideas for Alucard, as well as a lot of ideas for Snake.

Alucard's costumes:

His default, of course, would be his Symphony of the Night costume:

Other costumes could include his appearance in Castlevania 3 (modified, if need be, to fit his regular model)...

...an outfit based on a character named Genya Arikado from Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow...

...and armour based on his appearance in Castlevania Judgment.

(I was going to use the Netflix series as the basis of his fourth costume, but looking into it, I'd be concerned that it would look too similar to his Symphony costume from a distance)

Snake costumes:

Snake's default outfit would be his Sneaking Suit:

Other costumes could include Old Snake (who'd play identically when it comes to gameplay)...

...his tuxedo costume...

...and the completely-unrelated character Iroquois Pliskin.

Don't know why I included that last one - it's truly a mystery. (I wanted to stick with costumes that Snake himself wore, rather than Big Boss, Naked Snake, Venom Snake, etc. - maybe more costumes could be added through DLC or updates if people want Snake to have those skins)

Snake moveset:

His attacks are generally the same in the ground and in the air, unless noted

Square: CQC - Snake's martial arts attacks, whether it's the standard "punch, punch, kick" combo, a diving roll, or CQC techniques that he learned from Big Boss.

Square: punch --> punch --> kick - his melee attack in a lot of Metal Gear games.
Forward Square: dive roll - it's used to cover distance and knock down enemies, like in MGS
Up Square: uppercut
Down Square: sweep kick - Snake kicks at the opponent's legs to trip them.

Triangle: weapons - Snake has a wide variety of weapons, even if it's unclear where he keeps them all. He has to take time to pull out these weapons, so the attacks are slower than his melee moves and best used from a distance.

Triangle: MK23 SOCOM - the first weapon that he finds in many Metal Gear games. It's a straightforward pistol.
Forward Triangle: M10 - a submachine gun that's more effective at close range.
Up Triangle: Mortar - this acts similarly to Snake's up-smash attack in Smash Bros., though it can't be charged so the distance is fixed. In the air, he couldn't really use the whole mortar launcher (using any of these in the air is a bit unrealistic, but bear with me here), so he pulls out the mortar shell and tosses it forward a bit, letting it fall to the ground.
Down Triangle: PSG-1 - getting into a prone position, Snake pulls out a sniper rifle and fires it once before putting it away. This attack has a long range, but it's slow. In the air, he pulls it out and fires, though it still takes a while.

Circle: tools - various other pieces of equipment that couldn't fit elsewhere.

Circle: grenade - it's a grenade. Don't know how much explaining I have to do.
Forward Circle: Nikita Missile - a remote control missile, much like Snake's side special in Smash Bros. He's immobile while using it, and if he's hit, the missile detonates.
Up Circle: Spray - Snake pulls out a spray can in one hand and a lighter in the other, turning it into a makeshift flamethrower in a call-back to Metal Gear 2. Snake aims the trail of flame diagonally upwards - it doesn't have much range or do much damage, but it builds up AP very quickly.
Down Circle: C4/Detonate - Snake places a block of plastic explosives beneath him. (if he's in the air, it falls to the ground) Pressing down and Circle again detonates it.

Snake's throws are all based on CQC throws/slams from the games.

Level 1: Stinger Missile - a targeting reticle appears on-screen. If it passes over someone, it changes from green to red, and it fires a missile with some homing properties. The missile will detonate if it hits an opponent, it hits the ground, or enough time has passed (whichever happens first), dealing a large amount of damage to the target and anyone else caught in the explosion.
Level 2: Tanegashima - Snake pulls out a rifle from the 1500s and fires it, which somehow creates a tornado that sweeps across the battlefield
Level 3: Metal Gear? - a short cutscene plays as Metal Gear Mk. II (being piloted remotely by Otacon, who gets a voice-only cameo) leads Snake towards the decaying/damaged Metal Gear Rex. Snake hops into the seat as wires run from Metal Gear Mk. II to the control panel of Rex, allowing Snake to control it. What follows is a first person segment where Snake's player controls the cursor as other characters try to flee it - pressing Square activates the cannons, Triangle activates the laser, and Circle activates the missiles, which go from shortest/smallest to longest-lasting/largest. A bar on Rex's heads up display gives an indication of how much longer the player has to control it before the super ends.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
We'll vote on the DLC stage today, along with nominating rivalries.

-Feudal Japan (Ghost of Tsushima/Genji: Days of the Blade)
-Rayon Revolution (Bubsy/Ratchet and Clank)
-Black Rock Stadium (Twisted Metal/Jak and Daxter)

For rivalries, the random number generator got me Ratchet and Clank and Dr. Nefarious, so we'll nominate rivalries for them. We're getting pretty low in terms of numbers, so I understand if it's going to get tricky for these last few.

Ratchet and Clank
Leon Kennedy
Fat Princess
Spike
Heihachi Mishima
Ellen
Dr. Nefarious
Raven

I'm going to nominate Spike vs. Dr. Nefarious (Ape Escape seems to have the tone of a Saturday morning cartoon, while Dr. Nefarious is a cartoonish supervillain) and Ratchet and Clank vs. Heihachi (I could see Heihachi wanting to get his hands on some of their futuristic tech for his own nefarious purposes).

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Can't think of a better rivalry for Nefarious, Spike is perfect. But in the spirit of competition, I'll propose Heihachi for his rival. They're both bad guys so their rivalry could consist of bragging to each other about their evil deeds, which escalates into a fight to decide who's the worst villain.

For Ratchet & Clank I propose Raven. Gravity Rush has a bit of a superhero theme, with Kat being the naive hero living out her origin story and Raven being her rival who's more often than not brainwashed into opposing her. Since Ratchet & Clank have kind of a galactic hero vibe to themselves, I figure we could replicate that dynamic. The enigmatic Raven has been causing (vaguely defined) trouble and it's up to Ratchet & Clank to stop her.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
We'll be adding the Feudal Japan stage, finishing up our first pack of DLC! Here's the polls for the rivalries:

-Ratchet and Clank: https://www.strawpoll.me/45402154
-Dr. Nefarious: https://www.strawpoll.me/45402155

Today, we're going to nominate a character to be grouped with Snake as DLC. Like with Alucard's rivalry, you can explain why they'd be rivals, though it's not necessary to do so.

I'm going to nominate...

Delsin Rowe (inFamous: Second Son)

Going to quote a previous submission for the character, because why not?
Delsin Rowe is the protagonist of Second Son, the latest entry in the inFamous series. Delsin is a rebel, a fun-loving guy with a passion for graffiti and a distaste for authority, who gets his call to action when he finds out he has the power to absorb other conduits' powers. When his reservation is attacked by the totalitarian DUP, Delsin sets off to the occupied Seattle to try and gain the powers necessary to save them (and possibly liberate Seattle in the process).

Why add Delsin to this game? Why thank you for asking! There are so many reasons to add him, so let me list off just some: cool powerset (he can control smoke, neon, video and concrete, and technically he's a power copier so he could be our equivalent to Kirby and steal his opponents' moves); cool weapon (he fights with a chain infused with elemental powers that he can fashion into swords, gauntlets, and more); a great personality (imo the best protagonist in inFamous); and diversity (he's Native American).
As for why they'd come into conflict, Delsin comes into conflict with totalitarian government organizations (and Snake looks vaguely military), and fighting someone with a chain that can be infused with elemental powers is just another boss fight in the Metal Gear Solid universe.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Snake's Rival: Gabriel Logan (Syphon Filter)

GabeLogan.jpg

Gabriel "Gabe" Logan is the main protagonist of the shooter action series Syphon Filter, which garnered critical acclaim and appeared on a PlayStation brand since the original console. He is a special operations field agent who worked for numerous agencies alongside his partner/closest ally Lian Xing.

The developer of this franchise, SIE Bend Studio, also worked on Days Gone, and even included easter eggs from Syphon Filter in it.

As an agent, Gabe's moveset would consist of various weapons such as a knife, taser, dual silenced handguns, shotgun, assault/sniper rifles, stun/sticky grenades and a grenade launcher. His supers would have him hopping on a truck, firing a gatling gun while Lian Xing drives forward and using night vision to kill opponents in a dark place akin to Big Daddy and Raiden's Level 3 Supers.

Snake and Gabe obviously fit as rivals for each other considering that they're both agents/spies who has years of experience, having worked on a few organizations and are armed with military weaponry/equipment, many similarities in their series and how Metal Gear Solid influenced Syphon Filter for the original PlayStation, both being it's most popular games when it comes to stealth genre.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
For this prompt I'd like to resubmit an old candidate:

Snake's rival: Sam Porter-Bridges

Who is he?

Sam is the protagonist of the 2019 game Death Stranding. In a world brought to its knees by an event known as the Death Stranding, which has upset the link between life and death, humanity has retreated to small, isolated cities, reliant on porters for communication and logistics. Sam is one of them; he also happens to be the son of the last President of the United States. It is through this bond that Sam is brought out of his apathetic exile and into BRIDGES, the organization aiming to reunite America, and sent out on a mission that could define the fate of a nation.

Moveset

That's a lot of explanation required to explain who a character is, but what can he do? As you might know, Death Stranding is, at its core, a game about delivering parcels, and it has very in-depth walking mechanics (seriously). When playing DS Sam must strategically plan his trips to account for what he'll need and what he can carry. In a fighting game that could translate to a mechanic where Sam must pick all the items and weapons he wants to have at his disposal, and be penalized with reduced mobility; or go light and risk lacking ammo or crucial items he might need in specific situations. There would also be benefits to him being at full capacity, like melee attacks being stronger due to all the weight he's putting behind them.

Aside from the overarching mechanic, Sam has tons of tools and weapons at his disposal to fight the All-Stars. His default melee weapon is the Strand, a rope that he can use to pull off complex grappling maneuvers. Other distinctive weapons in Death Stranding include bola guns, to trip enemies; sticky guns, which function basically like Isabelle's fishing rod; hematic grenades and guns, weapons that draw from Sam's blood, and so would drain his health when used; and the EX grenades (I don't know how these could translate to gameplay but I'm not going to not mention the sweat, piss and sh*t grenades). As for non-weapons, Sam can use ladders and climbing anchors for traversal (and maybe even PCCs to spawn structures and vehicles, but that's probably best for supers). That's without mentioning the difference between lethal and non-lethal weapons (which might translate to different types or amounts of damage), Sam's DOOMS abilities (maybe a slow-mo dodge like when BTs are encountered? And stuff like repatriation could work as supers) and the ability of using regular cargo as melee or thrown weapons. Basically this guy has a hell of an arsenal, and all of these items would have to be loaded onto Sam's back to be used.

Why would he be added?

I'd say there are plenty of reasons to add Sam. For one, the game was a pretty big hit, selling over 3 million copies (and that was before the PC release). Even though it was controversial, the people who liked it loved it, and it was nominated for Game of the Year at the Game Awards and won awards like Best Direction. He's also a creation of Hideo Kojima, who needs no introduction, and with Snake in Smash and Raiden having been in the last game he makes a lot of sense as the "Kojima rep" for this game (Sony owning him helps). I know many of you might not have played or liked his game, and for those people I can only offer the mental picture of Norman Reedus carrying a baby and throwing piss grenades at Kratos and Dante (to be clear this is a completely serious submission but one must appeal to the widest audience possible - and it would be hilarious).

Plus we don't have a single rep for strand-type games, that's just a glaring omission :4pacman:
Sam is a good rival for Snake for a couple of reasons. First, and most obviously, they're both Hideo Kojima creations and have some similarities like their gravelly voice. Second, they're both operatives for government institutions that never tell them the full story. Lastly, they're polar opposites: Snake makes no reservations about being a soldier and a killer, whereas Sam is incentivized to be non-lethal; Snake begrudgingly follows orders and keeps taking on new missions, whereas Sam rejects authority and wants nothing more than to be left alone, country and duty be damned.

Their rivalry would be based on that last point. Snake spots Sam trekking, and sees BB (the pod baby he's carrying). Snake intercepts and asks Sam about it, thinking it could be a Patriots experiment like Les Enfants Terribles. Sam is immediately standoffing, protecting the baby, and tells Snake he wants nothing to do with his government types. Snake muses about how there's no getting away for men like them, but Sam just wants to get on with his delivery and attacks Snake.

The rivalry cutscene between the two is guest written by Kojima and lasts approximately 20 minutes.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
We're nearing the end of the rivalries - we've confirmed Ratchet and Clank vs. Raven and Dr. Nefarious vs. Spike, bringing it down to four characters left!

We've got four nominations this time around:

-Delsin Rowe (inFamous) ( Megadoomer Megadoomer )
-Gabriel Logan (Syphon Filter) ( tonygameman tonygameman )
-Carl "CJ" Johnson (Grand Theft Auto) ( Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario )
-Sam Porter Bridges (Death Stranding) ( GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 )

Vote for your top three, and you can only put your own nomination in third.

1. Sam Porter Bridges
2. Gabriel Logan
3. Delsin Rowe

In addition, since there are only three possible options for the remaining rivalries, I'll make a poll for that today.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The final results are...

CJ: 3
Sam: 4
Delsin: 5
Gabe: 6

That means that Gabe Logan from Syphon Filter will be added as DLC! Also, the poll for the last two rivalries had a clear winner, so we'll wrap up the base game's rivalries with Leon Kennedy vs. Ellen from Folklore, and Heihachi Mishima vs. Fat Princess.

Unless anyone has anything that they want to cover, I think we're going to focus on finishing up the DLC line-up and then consider this done. I don't think that should take too long (we only have four characters and three stages left to cover), but I think we got a good amount of items and summons, and ten bosses seems like a pretty good amount considering that some of the arcade mode bosses could be reused for story mode. (though if you think that certain series should have items/summons/bosses, let me know)

We're going to nominate a stage to be released alongside Solid Snake and Gabe Logan, and I've got an idea:

Shadow Moses Island (Metal Gear Solid)

Set on the helipad and the surrounding area, to differentiate it slightly from the Smash Bros. stage. If you're adding a Metal Gear Solid stage, it seems like it almost has to be Shadow Moses Island - while I could have gone with the dilapidated version from Metal Gear Solid 4, it makes sense to stick with the island in its heyday, with guards patrolling in the background and spotlights roaming over the grounds.

Partway through the match, the apes from Ape Escape run in, causing chaos in the background as the guards try to catch them. (if possible, this could also poke fun at the AI and limited field of vision of the guards in Metal Gear Solid 1, where some guards don't see the apes until they're right in front of them, or endlessly chase footprints around in the snow) The stage is a relatively straightforward one - the ground is uneven, but the monkeys don't interfere with the gameplay, so there are no hazards to worry about.

Part of this is because, somehow, we don't have an Ape Escape stage in the game yet, and part of this is because both series have crossed over, with an Ape Escape mode where you play through a pastiche of Metal Gear Solid (complete with an ape version of Revolver Ocelot) and an MGS3 mode where you have to capture all of the monkeys from Ape Escape in the setting of Metal Gear Solid 3.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Here's the poll for the next DLC stage:

In addition, we'll nominate our next character today! We've got four spots left for characters, and once again, anything goes as long as it's a video game character who isn't from Nintendo or Microsoft and has been on the PlayStation at some point.

Baldur (God of War)

Since Baldur is a Norse god who seeks death, a tournament/gathering consisting of some of PlayStation's strongest warriors is bound to get his attention. In addition to brawling, as the Norse god of light, he can use light in his attacks, in the form of moving at high speeds, sending shockwaves through the ground, causing explosions, or firing balls of energy. His attacks, while powerful, would have a lot of endlag and leave him vulnerable afterwards, reflecting his mannerisms/desires. Basically, if you're playing as Baldur, try not to miss.

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Since the survivors aren't that big in this thread, i think i'll try and re-nominate this one instead.
1620481801083.png

Shadow the Hedgehog
Debut: Sonic Adventure 2

The Ultimate Life Form of the Sonic the Hedgehog Series, Shadow has been around since the Dreamcast Era and has appeared in so many games ever since including one of his very own.

While Sonic is in Smash Bros, I feel Shadow might be a cool addition for Playstation All-Stars to fill in the role for Sonic representation for if it got one and Shadow was rumored to have originally been planned in the game.

He'd play a little differently from Sonic outside of just using spindash's he's got the chaos powers and weapons for his moveset. he could even become Super Shadow were his power would increase in strength leaving a devastating impact towards players.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Oh boy, only four left. So many options and so little slots, it's really hard to pick a character. But I guess I'll go with this one since she was popular from what I recall.

My nomination is Selene

Selene is the protagonist of Returnal, Sony's latest high profile exclusive. Returnal would be best described as a roguelike third-person twin stick shooter, where the constant loop of death for Selene is both a mechanic and a part of the story. It released in April to rave reviews and I think it's fair to say that she's precisely the kind of character that Sony'd want in their crossover game.

As the protagonist of what's basically a AAA sci-fi twin stick Selene has an arsenal of weird weapons with distinctive uses so there'd be no issue coming up with a moveset. She'd also serve as basically our first PS5 rep, so kind of a big deal!

Top Bottom