• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Creates: PlayStation All Stars 2

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Moving on, we're going to vote on the items:

-Nevan (Devil May Cry) ( Megadoomer Megadoomer )
-N. Tropy Clock (Crash Bandicoot) ( Megadoomer Megadoomer )
-Traffic Light (Control) ( GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 )
-Health Kit (The Last of Us) ( GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 )
-Soul Eater (The Legend of Dragoon) ( osby osby )
-Magic Potion (Fat Princess) ( osby osby )

Vote for your top three; the top three will be included, and you can only put your own nomination in third.

My votes are:
1. Health Kit
2. Magic Potion
3. N. Tropy Clock

As well, we're going to be nominating Crash Bandicoot bosses. You can nominate arcade mode bosses or fusion bosses - either one's fine.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
1. Soul Eater: Would play a little similarly to the Killing Edge
2. Traffic Light: an item with a very intriguing concept
3. Nevan: Bats

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Do you think i can request a fusion boss for Dr. Cortex and Dr. Nefarious for the story mode?
Did you still want to submit an idea for this? Since today's nominations are for Crash Bandicoot bosses (whether it's arcade mode or story mode), you could nominate this concept today.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
1622918240782.png
1622918261363.png

Nefarious Cortex

This fusion boss is a combination of gadgets and inventions of Dr. Neo Cortex and Dr. Nefarious(One of the playable characters here).
The boss is a giant robot head designed after the Biobliterator & Hypersonic Brainwave Scrambler with the letter "N" plastered in the front with a mechanical green and plastic painted purple plastered on each different sides of it.

in it's first phase, the robot will be shooting lasers & missiles. sometimes it'll fire plasma rays at opponents and shoot down a wave of dark plasma.

In it's second phase, the robot will equip a mechanical Uka-Uka mask, which protects the robot with a barrier, for most of the battle you have to damage the mask which in effect will weaken the robot's defenses. while the mask keeps it safe, it'll fire some different attacks from other bosses related to cortex or nefarious such as the rocket launchers from Mecha-Bandicoot and the forcefield from The Hypersonic Brainwave Scrambler.

In it's third phase, the mask is destroyed and the robot is left defenseless, it still shoots out the previous attacks from the first two phases, with an addition to a hypersonic laser that it fires from it's chest and turns it's direction around the stage.

after it's last phase, the robot tries to fire the hypersonic laser one last time in an attempt to take the player down with them, until the bulb for the laser fails to activate, the evil geniuses try to get the attack to work until the laser fires out sporadically around the stage which causes a couple of rocks, debris, or a statue depending on the stage to crash onto it making it fall into the bottom.

Cortex and Nefarious will comment and say various lines while they attack you, when they go down they'll have a small fight on getting the laser to work and when they get hit by what's above, Cortex screams while Nefarious shouts Lawrence's Name.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Job #88: Tiny Tiger

Bearing an unfitting name and even less fitting footwear choice, Tiny Tiger is one of Crash's most famous and popular bosses, having appeared in both Crash 2 and 3, as well as being a starter character in the original and remade Crash Team Racing. He hates everyone and everything.

Tiny's boss fight would be somewhat similar to his fight from Crash 2, however instead of luring him into falling, you have to fight him regularly on a constantly shrinking arena. There are 5 platforms, and platforms will appear and reappear at a moment's notice, Tiny is rather big, bigger than he is in official Crash games, and takes up the size of one platform, so there's a minimum of 2 platforms at a time - however, if there are only two they will never be next to each other - they can be next to each other if there's three, four, or five.

Tiny uses his trident from Crash 3 to attack. He has no particular weak spot and can be attacked freely.

His attacks are as follows:
throwing his trident like a boomerang
jumping off screen and landing on another platform with a trident stab
poking his trident into the platform flinging off if to the furthest platform
basic trident jabs forwards, upwards, and downwards.

Tiny will also sometimes open his mouth, this means that if you attack his mouth you'll be bitten as a counterattack, which is Tiny's most powerful move. His mouth is safe to attack when closed.
I don't think I need to change anything here to adjust for PSASBR2, but one minor change I'll make is that Tiny's closed mouth is a weak spot, though his open mouth is still a counterattack.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The results for the items are...

Magic Potion: 4
Soul Eater: 6
N. Tropy Clock: 7
Traffic Light: 7
Health Kit: 8
Nevan: 10

My original plan was to include the top three items, though given how close the vote was (two items were tied for third, and the item in the next spot only had a one vote difference), I figure there's no harm in adding the top five in this case. (I don't think anyone's going to go "how dare you add more items!")

Here's the poll for the Crash Bandicoot bosses; normally, I list the options, but I'm not sure if I need to considering that there are only two of them, and both are on this page.

Today, the random number generator determined that we'll be nominating rivalries for the Hunter from Bloodborne and Rivet from Ratchet and Clank. Here are the characters who don't have rivalries as of yet:

The Hunter
Ratchet and Clank
Leon Kennedy
Pyramid Head
Fat Princess
Sly Cooper
Sir Daniel Fortesque
Spike
Jak and Daxter
Heihachi Mishima
Sweet Tooth
Ellen
Chloe Frazer
Dr. Nefarious
Joel and Ellie
Raven
Coco
Rivet

I'm going to nominate:

-Rivet vs. Sly Cooper: Sly could want to steal Rivet's metal arm, figuring it's worth something, or Rivet could attack Sly since he looks suspicious, and could either be a thief or a spy for Emperor Nefarious

-the Hunter vs. Sir Daniel: the Hunter would assume that Sir Daniel is yet another monster, and with Dan's lack of a jaw, he couldn't explain himself - their rivalry scenes would likely have to be narrated by the narrator from MediEvil, given that neither one of them can speak clearly

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

the hunter vs pyramid head
I think this would be a good option given that one is hunting human/demonic horrors and the other is a demonic horror himself.
Riven vs Raven
Both seem to be rival/friendlies to the main protagonist of there respective game.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
The hunter vs Joel and Ellie. In Bloodborne the Hunter is looking for the source of the blood disease of the city of Yarnham, while in The last of us Ellie is basically the cure for the disease in their world, so connection could be made there.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Going by the Crash boss poll, we'll be adding Dr. Cortex and Dr. Nefarious as a fusion boss!

Here are the polls for the latest rivalries:

The Hunter: https://www.strawpoll.me/45368706
Rivet: https://www.strawpoll.me/45368708

While I'm tempted to move on to DLC sooner rather than later, I figure we should have at least one more round of Memory Card summon nominations first, since it's been a while. Like usual, you can nominate up to two of them.

Ripper Roo (Crash Bandicoot)

Ripper Roo hops around the stage, leaving Nitro crates wherever he lands. After about six jumps, he jumps straight up and lands on top of the last crate that he spawned, causing a chain reaction that sets them all off.

The Traveler (Journey)

In my experience with Journey, it seems more like a game about exploration and puzzle-solving, with no combat. As such, the Traveler wouldn't attack people - rather, they'd chirp, summoning a flock (herd? Smack?) of cloth creatures, which float around the stage aimlessly. If these cloth creatures bump into another player, they knock some AP loose. The Traveler also wanders around the stage, dislodging a significantly larger amount of AP if they come into contact with one of the players that didn't summon them.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Memory Cards:
Jake (Dog's Life)

Jake takes the screen into B&W smellovision mode, and different scents appear that can boost the summoner's stamina when walked over. However, he'll sometimes fart - farts are aesthetically indistuingishable from good scents and can only be distinguished by keeping a close eye on Jake and memorising where he has left his unwelcome surprises. Farts stun you for a little, but don't directly take any stamina.

Klonoa

Klonoa will pick up his summoner's enemies and carry them around. He can either throw them forwards or downwards, and usually throws them off-stage or into danger.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The next rivalries are The Hunter vs. Sir Daniel and Rivet vs. Coco.

I don't know when the forum outage started, but I'll leave the nominations open for Memory Card summons another day just in case. If we don't get more nominations, I'll skip over it due to a lack of interest.

In addition to those (in case people don't have ideas for Memory Card summons), I'll open up nominations for a Bloodborne/Demon Souls boss. This can be an arcade mode boss or a fusion boss - whichever you prefer.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800

I just wanted to bring this up, as in Rift Apart, a new weapon called RYNO 8 can summon up rifts, which drops various stuff from other PlayStation franchises such as Sly Cooper, Thunderjaw from Horizon: Zero Dawn, a jeep from Uncharted and a giant Fizzle head balloon from Sunset Overdrive.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
We got no Bloodborne/Demon Souls boss nominations - I haven't played either game (I tend to avoid games/series that are known to be difficult - I'm trying to change that, but I don't have a PS4 or PS5, so as far as I know, I don't have the option to play either Bloodborne or Demon Souls), so I couldn't provide any.

We got five Memory Card nominations; I figure we can add the top two from this list.

-Ripper Roo (Crash Bandicoot) ( Megadoomer Megadoomer )
-The Traveler (Journey ( Megadoomer Megadoomer )
-Jake (Dog's Life) ( Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario )
-Klonoa (Klonoa) ( Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario )
-Aigis (Persona 3) ( ivanlerma ivanlerma ) (linked a moveset video from Persona 4 Arena to give some context for what she can do)

Vote for your top three, and you can put your own nomination in third.

1. Aigis
2. Klonoa
3. The Traveler

Two things we're going to be nominating today - rivalries for Sly Cooper and Jak and Daxter, and I think we'll start on nominating DLC characters. (I figure interest has dropped, so it might be best to move towards wrapping this up) I'm thinking eight DLC characters and four DLC stages; the original game was planned to have at least six characters and three stages, and I don't want to add a ton of DLC. (trying to keep the third party characters being roughly a third of the roster, so we'll have upwards of four third party characters)

The catch for DLC characters is that each set of two will be rivals with each other (like in the original game), regardless of how little sense it makes.

I'm going to nominate a character that I had nominated previously.

Solid Snake

Game(s): Metal Gear Solid (1998), Metal Gear Solid 2 (2001), Metal Gear Solid 4 (2008)

The main protagonist of the Metal Gear games, Solid Snake is a former spy, special operations soldier, and mercenary who is tasked with infiltrating various exotic locations to stop giant robots called “Metal Gears” that are often armed with nuclear weapons. In addition to how Snake plays in Smash Bros. (using close quarters combat and explosives), he could take advantage of PlayStation All Stars’ laxer stance on guns to incorporate M9 tranquilizer pistols, FAMAS rifles, and sniper rifles into his moveset.

The Metal Gear Solid series has heavy ties to PlayStation, with 1-3 starting out as PlayStation exclusives and Metal Gear Solid 4 still being exclusive to the PS3, and it’s generally lauded as an outstanding franchise that pushes technical boundaries and encourages creativity and outside-the-box thinking. (and also inside-the-box thinking) While Raiden is already a PlayStation All Stars veteran, there’s nothing saying that we can’t have both Snake and Raiden included in a sequel.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
1. Ripper Roo
2. Traveler
3. Jake

For a newcomer submission:

Bambi (PlayStation 2 commercial)

Not Disney's Bambi, but PlayStation's Bambi. The concept of a deer named Bambi is not copyrighted, only Disney's depiction, I did my research. Bambi originates from David Lynch of Twin Peaks fame's advert for the PlayStation 2. The advert is simple: a deer walks through a highway, almost gets run over, but the deer crushes the car and gets out unscathed by doing nothing. In PSASBR Bambi would uses abilities based on different PS ads and marketing stunts - the crying baby doll, the squirrels playing with their nuts (PSPs) outside, the Crash suit guy pulling up with a microphone, you name it. We'd try to incorporate as much as of PS ad history as possible into its moveset, and we'd get a big, heavy quadruped fighter to boot! Like in the advert, Bambi would likely be oblivious to its surroundings and the actual fight.

I may also write up some moveset changes for Lammy soon

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
  1. Aigis
  2. The Traveler
  3. Ripper Roo
Sly Cooper's rivalry: Ratchet & Clank. After Jak and Daxter, these two games seem like the most connected among classic PS icons. As they are both big on collecting/stealing stuff, a fight between them would simply break out of a conflict of interests. Though, they might recall their various crossovers over the years somewhere.

Jak & Daxter's rivalry: Joel and Ellie. I wanted to continue the tradition and have them fight with another duo character. This one would be a relatively humorous one, with Ellie and Daxter picking a fight over something trivial and insulting each other. Joel and Jak would try and act as the voice of the reason but eventually join the fight due to Joel getting protective.

For DLC, I'll renominate one of my previous suggestions:

Etna from Disgaea: Hour of Darkness (2003)

View attachment 314273

Nippon Ichi said they wouldn't mind adding a Disgaea character to the first game, so why not add Etna? Her series definitely had the PlayStation connection and she'd be both a reasonable and unexpected choice. Etna first appeared as one of the main characters in the series's first entry, and since, she has appeared in most subsequent entries in either lead or supporting roles.

As for the reason of her inclusion over the game's protag: Etna is the leader of the Prinny squad, series' mascots, and even got her own mode in the PSP port. She's also a fan favorite for her sassy personality and comedic overviolent tendencies.

In PlayStation All-Stars 2, Etna would fight with her high-aptitude weapons: spears and guns. For her special attacks and supers, she could use her unique skills Prinny Raid, Sexy Beam, Chaos Impact, and even summon Laharl as a cameo help.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Ripper Roo
Jake
Aigis

I'll re-nominate one of my first suggestions for DLC, i like to work on a moveset for them if they happen to make it.

1618775194597.png

1618775214090.png

1618775224130.png

1618775231199.png

The Survivor from Dead By Daylight

The Survivor is a victim sent into the realm of the Entity, who throws various people into it's realm were they try to survive from a serial killer sent by the being. the group of survivors ranged from a large number of characters though originally this game started with 4 survivors which are who i choose to represent here(i'd probably throw in four more characters but no licenses), the main survivor would be Dwight or Jake as the default character while the others you can switch in the menu similar to alternate costumes, they aren't great for fighting, but their arsenal would be based on various perks and items from their home game.

Dead by Daylight first appeared on PC until it later was ported onto other consoles including PS4, while it isn't one of the most popular games even on the Playstation Side it has become more recognizably popular to the horror genre and is still generating some support.

If Dead by Daylight were to ever get anything playable representation they likely use a Killer, however, i feel the survivor could work as well since adding a killer would mean picking one out of all the unique ones were as the survivors all play the same and they'd try to be creative with them.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Ripper Roo
Jake
Aigis

I'll re-nominate one of my first suggestions for DLC, i like to work on a moveset for them if they happen to make it.
Something I've been meaning to ask - why are you going with the Survivors over the Trapper? The Trapper's on the game's cover (much like the Heavy from Team Fortress 2 or Tracer from Overwatch), so he sticks out over the other killers, and the Survivors can't fight back, so they're largely passive. (there are some exceptions, but all of the ones that come to mind for me are licensed survivors - Ash Williams, Bill from Left 4 Dead, Jill and Leon, etc. - and they can't do that in Dead By Daylight)

It's ultimately up to you for who you pick, but I'm just curious.

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Something I've been meaning to ask - why are you going with the Survivors over the Trapper? The Trapper's on the game's cover (much like the Heavy from Team Fortress 2 or Tracer from Overwatch), so he sticks out over the other killers, and the Survivors can't fight back, so they're largely passive. (there are some exceptions, but all of the ones that come to mind for me are licensed survivors - Ash Williams, Bill from Left 4 Dead, Jill and Leon, etc. - and they can't do that in Dead By Daylight)

It's ultimately up to you for who you pick, but I'm just curious.
i just felt like they just never get a lot of credit and that there's more favorism for the killer rather than the survivor, i understand why the more i play the game however i still feel there's too much attention given to killers with almost some of them having a lot of arguments for who gets to be in a fighting game.

And while a moveset can be done, trapper can't really do too much outside of just hitting, killing, and setting up traps(unless i'm refusing to scratch the surface).

Also, i'm sorry if this is comes off as personal but everytime i think of a killer when playing the game, it makes my mind think of some unsatisfying ideas(nothing horrible i promise)i don't wanna become stressed over by.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
-Ripper Roo
-Aigis
-Jake

My Nomination

Kazuma Kiryu

Kiryu is a protagonist from the Yakuza franchise, a series that was primarily on Playstation for a good chunk of it's life.

Kiryu would be a very flashy, Fast and Powerful brawler.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The following characters don't have movesets yet (assuming that people are fine with leaving the movesets of veterans unchanged):

-Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
-Dart Feld (Legend of Dragoon)
-The Hunter (Bloodborne)
-Aloy (Horizon)
-Jin Sakai (Ghost of Tsushima)
-Spyro
-Abe (Oddworld)
-Knack
-Jesse (Control)
-Chloe Frazer (Uncharted) - she's a clone, so I'm not sure how many changes she'd need - could probably get away with different melee attacks (if she fights differently in her playable appearance) and a different level 3 super.
-Dr. Nefarious (Ratchet and Clank)
-Joel and Ellie (The Last of Us) - there's a rough outline, but I'm not sure how specific people want to get

I'll see what I can do for some of these, but if anyone has ideas, feel free to post them. (they can just keep things general, like saying what the Square/light attacks, Triangle/heavy attacks, and Circle/special attacks would do rather than getting into directional inputs)

Also, if anyone has ideas about Memories for any of the playable series (with the possible exceptions of Persona, PaRappa the Rapper, Ratchet and Clank, Tekken, and Fat Princess), feel free to post them. I've posted the bare minimum (any character who's already got a role, whether it's playable, part of another character's moveset, part of a stage, or a summon), but I'm not familiar with every series, and there's no way that I'll be able to catch up since I only have a PS3.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
My nomination for our first DLC fighter is Selene

Selene is the protagonist of Returnal, Sony's latest high profile exclusive. Returnal would be best described as a roguelike third-person twin stick shooter, where the constant loop of death for Selene is both a mechanic and a part of the story. It released in April to rave reviews and I think it's fair to say that she's precisely the kind of character that Sony'd want in their crossover game.

As the protagonist of what's basically a AAA sci-fi twin stick Selene has an arsenal of weird weapons with distinctive uses so there'd be no issue coming up with a moveset. She'd also serve as basically our first PS5 rep, so kind of a big deal!

(Also I've been kicking myself since the rivalry day because I thought of perhaps the perfect rival for her and I've been dying to submit the two ever since so if she gets the spot I know who to propose next)

--

My votes for Memory Cards go to

1. The Traveler
2. Ripper Roo
3. Aigis

--

Rivalries now:

Sly's rival would be Chloe. I really liked what the first game did with Sly vs. Drake, thief vs. thief, it fit very well with their respective franchises. So while Drake vs. Lara was too good to miss out on, I think we should continue that. It fits too with Chloe being the heir apparent to Drake's protagonist role as of The Lost Legacy. As in the first game the rivalry would be started when Chloe finds some torn pages from the Thievous Raccoonus and Sly sets out to get them. However this time, there would be more comedy, sarcasm and lampshading about it happening again (I'm trying to make the rivalries come across as less needlessly aggressive than in the first game; everyone was super antsy there)

Jak's rival would be Sweet Tooth. Both of them are skilled drivers and hail from games where combat driving is a key part. Jak would notice Sweet Tooth's ice cream truck and challenge him to a race (Sweet Tooth, of course, plans to kill the duo afterwards). Depending on who the player chose the winner of the race would change but the outcome is the same: Sweet Tooth wants to kill Jak & Daxter (either pissed off at his defeat or wanting to take his "prize") and the duo defend themselves.

--

I haven't played Bloodborne so I can't help with the bosses. But I'll try to help out with the movesets. It's not really my forte but I'd like to try it out at least. I'm currently playing through Control and before that was The Last of Us II so those are probably the movesets I'll tackle first.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Here are some songs i'd suggest to fill in some blanks(hopefully, this gives people more motivation to add more music)

Silent Hill

Twisted Metal

Tekken

i also suggest a limitation for the music for each series to not have more but 20 songs from each series'(except misc.) that way there wouldn't be an issue with some franchises dominating the other with how many songs it has.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
For the DLC nominations, should we include the top two (making those characters rivals) or just include characters one at a time? I was thinking the top two (the previous game's DLC gave us rivalries like Kat vs. Emmett Graves and Isaac Clarke vs. Zeus, so they don't need to make a ton of sense), but I wanted to get an idea of what the preference was.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
For the DLC nominations, should we include the top two (making those characters rivals) or just include characters one at a time? I was thinking the top two (the previous game's DLC gave us rivalries like Kat vs. Emmett Graves and Isaac Clarke vs. Zeus, so they don't need to make a ton of sense), but I wanted to get an idea of what the preference was.
So far there haven't been many nominations so I think one at a time would work best. Plus I'd like to try and match my submissions to the previous winner so the rivalries make a bit more sense (this is just personal preference though)

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
1. Ripper Roo
2. Klonoa
3. Aigis

DLC character submission:
See the source image

Alucard
Symphony of the Night is one of the most iconic games on the PS1, and so Alucard just makes sense for a game like this. He has a ridiculous amount of moves from his original game so moveset won't be a problem for him. I know he technically debuted on the NES not the PS1, but he's so closely connected to the playstation brand that I don't think it halts his chances at all. (heihachi technically debuted in arcades too, so I don't think it necessarily deconfirms characters)

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
that would sound good, a quick reminder though are we talking about the top two rivals? or top two characters?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
that would sound good, a quick reminder though are we talking about the top two rivals? or top two characters?
I mean there's two ways that we can go about it (at least, from my point of view):

A) we just add the character who gets the most votes, and nominate a character to be their rival later (so if the top three is Kiryu, Selene, and Alucard, then Kiryu would be added)

B) we add the top two characters, and they're rivals to each other (so if the top three is Kiryu, Selene, and Alucard, then both Kiryu and Selene are included, and they're each other's rivals)

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Here goes my best attempt at a Jesse moveset

[] moves use her Service Weapon in its different modes.
Neutral [] uses Spin (basically an Uzi mode). It fires a short burst that stuns on contact.
Up [] uses Shatter. It's basically a shotgun blast diagonally upwards with a short but wide range. Always spikes so it's great for anti-air and to start combos.
Side [] uses Charge. It functions similarly to a grenade launcher but much faster and it explodes on impact. Mid-range.
Down [] uses Pierce. It's Jesse's long range weapon mode. Jesse kneels as the shot charges (the input must be held down for a while) before firing a powerful shot that can hit multiple opponents and break blocks. However it takes long enough to charge that it's very risky to use.
In midair Pierce is replaced with Grip. That's the Service Weapon's basic mode. Jesse fires three shots in quick succession diagonally downward. It's pretty weak with no knockback so its main purpose is to interrupt sloppy anti-air attacks (a crucial part of her kit because Jesse excels in aerial combat and movement)

∆ moves have her using Launch which is basically telekinesis. It gets the most moves because it is the first ability she gets and the most versatile. The appearance of the objects she throws is determined by what stage she's in (usually a chunk of the stage itself but sometimes it'd be something funny like a Pipo Monkey instead).
Neutral ∆ is Launch. Jesse grabs a random, medium-sized object and chucks it forward. It doesn't do much damage but it has very good knockback. If ∆ is held Jesse can walk and jump with the object floating by her.
Up ∆ is Shield Barrage. Jesse summons a cluster of debris and fires it at an angle. Travels far.
Side ∆ is Return. This move catches projectiles and throws the back. It has a secret function similar to the Falcon Punch where Jesse can instead throw the projectile behind herself.
Down ∆ is Multi-Launch. Jesse spins around and throws two chunks of stage at each side. However they travel much slower than regular Launch and at a height low enough to short hop so this should only be used when Jesse's surrounded.
In midair this is replaced by Launch Down, which has Jesse throw an object at a downward angle.

O moves have her using her various other abilities that she gains from Objects of Power
Neutral O is Melee. A weak attack that's quick to strike but with tons of endlag, mainly used as a keepaway measure. When performed close to an opponent she'll lock onto them and punch them away, otherwise she'll punch the ground and cause a shockwave. In midair it lacks the lock-on and the shockwave so it's just a punch.
Up O is Shield. Jesse gathers a bunch of debris and shapes it into a shield aimed at an upward angle. The Shield stays up and is deactivated as a toggle, or after enough time passes. Jesse can move around with it activated. However the Shield has an opening for low attacks and leaves Jesse completely vulnerable to attacks from behind. Plus the Shield can be shattered with enough strong attacks which deals massive damage to Jesse and knocks her down. In midair Shield is aimed diagonally downwards and stays up until Jesse touches the ground, or until enough time passes (as you will see Jesse can stay in midair for a while). The appearance of Shield is defined by the stage much like Launch.
Side O is Evade. Jesse dashes forward a short distance. She is completely invulnerable during this move. However there is quite the endlag so it's risky to use on the ground.
In midair Evade travels a bit further than on the ground. There's no limit to the amount of times it can be used in midair. Aerial Evades can be canceled into each other, but there's a very precise window to do so, otherwise the endlag will strike.
Down O is Seize. A long range command grab that allows its victim to keep moving, albeit slowly. Down O must be held down for a while to take effect but unlike Pierce, attacks that only make Jesse flinch won't interrupt the charge. If Seize is completed the opponent will be unable to damage Jesse for a while (this is to emulate the effect of Seize in Control, which is to make enemies fight for you; the idea is that an opponent would go after other foes if Jesse can't be hurt).
To make it so this move isn't worthless in 1v1, if there's only one opponent left a Seized opponent would instead slowly take damage.
In midair Seize is replaced by Ground Slam. Jesse charges directly downwards and slams into the ground, creating a shockwave.

Aside from having a double jump, if X is held down Jesse will Levitate. When she Levitates she'll slowly fall down but can control her horizontal movement. She can also begin Levitate from a fall (for example to fake out enemies below). Some moves like her ∆ attacks can be used without interrupting Levitate.

Her throws all have her use Launch Enemy to throw opponents, which is an unlockable use in the Launch skill tree.

Her supers are:
Level 1: Astral Spike. A being from the Astral Plain that's only describable as a black ball made out of rectangular shapes that's constantly spasming. It moves around the stage slowly and deals damage relative to the distance a fighter has from it. Pretty easy to evade however so Jesse players would have to make an active effort to knock opponents into it.
Level 2: Fridge. Jesse summons the Altered Item known as the Fridge and stares at it, seemingly in pain. Any character that isn't looking directly at it is instantly killed.
Level 3: The Hiss. The visual effect that represents the Hiss in Control plays (it's kind of like a red inkblot in water). Every other fighter starts floating in midair, possessed by the Hiss. Fighters affected by this start chanting the seemingly random sentences that the Hiss utters and have their eyes turn red. Basically any attack will kill them. As long as this Super lasts enemies will respawn possessed so it's possible to be killed more than once during this.

The aim of this moveset is that Jesse excels in two areas: stage control (pun absolutely intended) and being in midair. On the ground she has mediocre speed, so she has to rely on the various tools at her disposal just to try to keep enemies away. Her moves do big damage or knockback but most are highly situational and easily punishable, so a skilled player will rely on them to gain distance and interrupt incoming attackers. However in the air is where she has a chance to shine, with two moves that both slow or stop her falling and move her horizontally, the idea is that they're mixed to make Jesse's movement unpredictable. In midair she can close distances quickly, or stay at a distance as she combos her various attacks in between Evades. A skilled player would be juggling several button presses at once, for example Levitating (X) while using Launch Down (∆) to put pressure as she closes in before finishing with a Ground Slam (O). I think that's a pretty accurate representation of Control, where you're constantly forced to be on the move and switching between various weapons and powers just to stay alive. With this moveset I believe Jesse would be one of those characters that's only really viable at high-skill levels.

I'm pretty deep into Control but I might come back and change some things in this moveset (particularly the Supers) if I find there's something more fitting.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The Memory Card summon results are as follows:

-Jake: 4
-Klonoa: 4
-The Traveler: 8
-Aigis: 11
-Ripper Roo: 15

As a result, Ripper Roo and Aigis will be added as Memory Card summons!

Here are the rivalry polls:

Sly Cooper: https://www.strawpoll.me/45380882
Jak and Daxter: https://www.strawpoll.me/45380890

This is the list of nominations for our first DLC character:

-Solid Snake (Metal Gear) ( Megadoomer Megadoomer )
-Bambi (PS2 advertising) ( Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario )
-Etna (Disgaea) ( osby osby )
-The Survivors (Dead By Daylight) ( ivanlerma ivanlerma )
-Kazuma Kiryu (Yakuza) ( cashregister9 cashregister9 )
-Selene (Returnal) ( GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 )
-Alucard (Castlevania) ( Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule )

While we're only including one character from this list, I feel like the ranked voting system works well for characters - that way, it avoids the issue of people voting for their own character, and instead, it gets them to consider the options that other people picked. We'll vote for our top three, and you can only put your own nomination in third.

1. Alucard
2. Etna
3. Snake

---

We're also going to nominate an Ape Escape boss, since the idea was fairly popular, and voting for characters tends to be pretty quick.

Mesal Gear

Loosely based on, but legally distinct from, the Shagohod from the Metal Gear Solid series, Mesal Gear is a giant monkey-themed robot/tank hybrid. Armed with cannons in the "mouth" of the monkey head as well as in front of the machine (the front cannons shoot bullets, while the mouth cannons drop exploding pineapples), drills which are used for ramming, and a missile launcher system in the head, this is a formidable weapon of war despite its goofy-looking appearance.

(I'm not sure if this is crossing a line or not, since it only appeared in a mode that was a crossover between Ape Escape and MGS3 Snake Eater)

osby

Smash Obsessed
  1. Selene. I didn't play Returnal but Selene looks like a promising fighter. Plus, we can use more characters from PlayStation's newer games.
  2. The Survivors. I'm interested in how they'll play and the concept seems unique. Not the first place because we already have quite a few horror characters.
  3. Etna. I need Disgaea ridiculousness in this game.

Top Bottom