• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards creates: Newgrounds All-stars Rumble (Newgrounds Smash Clone)

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Voting's Over! Results:
Tricky - 5 votes!
Neil - 3 votes
Castle Crasher - 4 votes
Dad N Son - 4 votes
Edd - 2 Votes

Tricky is the winner or this poll!
Dad N Son and Castle Crasher tied and they need need rematch!
Vote for 1 of 2 character to join the Roster! (You can vote whatever you want)
My Votes for Rematch:
1. Dad N Son
2. Castle Crasher
1. Dad n' Son
2. Castle Crasher
...sorry guys

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Well... here's my idea for Dad n' Son. Please note that I probably won't be able to do a full moveset, but this is the general idea behind it and I'll do what I can to describe it.

So, in the actual game Dad 'n Me, the major point of it is comboes - and that idea is being kept here. Whilst most characters have a "normal" attack button and a "special" attack button (I presume), this father and son duo actually have a difference in that they have a "weak" and "strong" button, more like in their original game. Interestingly, grabs can be performed as parts of combos and the like, and despite the vast combo system, there's probably going to be a couple more added for variety - including one simple-ish one that will let you grab an opponent and cargo-hold them a little like DK's grab.)

Simply tapping, say, the weak button twice will give a basic jab attack - but doing various different button combos between the weak and strong will result in various different combo attacks, with different effects. Given that the original game only has you play as the Son, however, there's some changes from the original game.

Whilst all of the combos are kept - yes, all of them! - you actually play as the Dad, though your attacks are much the same as in the original title. Your Son will sit on your shoulder, as in the original title screen, but I'll get to this in a moment. Basically, all of your attacks are close-up, and rely on you being in close-quarters to your opponent. As with other beat-em-ups, Dad n' Son are actually a mix between a rushdown, a bruiser, and a grappler - a heavyweight in the form of Dad, with one or two grabbing-based moves, but mostly based on getting up in your face and beating you down. Dad has surprisingly high ground speed when dashing, but to counter this, he has a very slow walk, as well as a low jump and very slow air speed, making him - much like Little Mac - very ground-centric. Not only this, though, but the large size of Dad makes it surprisingly easy to combo him, if you don't go in for a full-frontal assault.

I'm going to presume that, in this case, specials work a little like in Smash Bros. The original game was a little odd with how it handled "special" attacks, as it sort of mapped projectiles to the power-attack button, so I'm taking some creative liberty here.

"Neutral B" for the pair, well, isn't actually that. Instead of having a shield button, it has Dad "charge" his Son, at which point his Son dashes forward, and then "sits" at a distance from Dad based on the charge level (A little like Rosalina and Luma.) Son is interesting in this case, as whilst he has the same basic moveset as Dad, he does have some limitations. First off, he doesn't have any special attacks of his own - only his Dad is strong enough to carry around stuff for specials.

Also, whilst Dad's large size makes him a solid close-mid range character, simply due to his build, Son is somewhat smaller (though, still strong in his own right.) As a result, whilst Son deals less damage than Dad, as well as having less range due to being smaller, he also has less lag than Dad both before and after his attacks, which results in an interesting side effect - it's actually possible to run an attack string with Son by bufferring combos with Dad, due to Son's attacks coming out quicker. This could be used in a lot of interesting ways alone. Otherwise, however, Son moves at the same speed as Dad, and if you press Shield again, Son runs back (in a similar "dash" to him running away) and hops back on Dad's shoulder.

Whilst this means that yes - Dad n' Son actually lack any special attacks or projectiles - the pair of them more than make up for it with their exceptionally powerful close-up game and unusual mechanic of using the Son seperately to the Dad. Even so... there's something else to mention.

Son actually has his own healthbar seperate to that of Dad, which is exactly 60% of Dad's own starting health (So, for instance, if the game starts with everyone at 100HP, Son only has 60HP.) This, however, doesn't apply if Son is being carried by Dad. When carried, Son's health doesn't actually go down at all, even if they're both hit - meaning tanking hits as Dad and then sending your Son out at the last minute is a theoretically valid strategy. However, if Dad is K.O.d, Son is as well (Whilst this is for gameplay purposes, maybe we could presume it's because Son had a breakdown or something?)

Interestingly, they actually do have some minor differences too. For instance, Son has a knife that he uses for certain attacks for his special combos - whilst Dad actually uses the bloodied chainsaw that he has in the title screen, and on the back of his car in the intro sequence of the game.

On the other hand... Dad's own response to his Son being K.O.d is very different. In reference to the Rage mechanic from the original game, if Son is K.O.d but Dad is still on the screen, Dad will fly into an uncontrollable rage, which gives a variety of effects. As well as a purple smoke coming from him, Dad will slightly grow in size, appearing more muscular - as well as becoming slower as a result, both in terms of movement and in terms of lag, and having an even lower jump and a heavier weight. So, you might think this is a debuff, right? Bigger hitbox, less jump power, and doesn't even have the power of speed? Well...

Rage Mode massively increases one thing - the outright power of Dad's attacks. Whilst the attacks are slower and hence laggier, Dad at this point becomes the equivalent of a "miniboss" of sorts. Attacks from him are buffed in power significantly, and his slightly larger size means that he can reach even further than before.

Even so, however, Rage Mode is pretty balanced. Dad's much slower speed, larger hitbox, lower jump power, and laggier attacks offset the incredible increase in his range and outright power pretty well, and lighter, faster, or more projectile-heavy characters can quite easily take advantage of this.

As a result, this character ends up being a weird fusion of the puppeteer, rushdown, grappler and heavyweight archetypes. Whilst such a bizarre mix might not work in a lot of traditional fighting games simply because of how weird it is, I think this sort of bizarre fusion works well to represent Newgrounds as a whole - a bizarre mish-mash of unusual and unique things. I mean, how else could we have a stickman with cool pants, a mysterious and unsettling man with long fingers, and a soldier fight on a hand-drawn battlefield?

I know I've sort of pulled a lot of stuff out of my ass to make this concept, but this is sort of just the idea I have. I'll try and post a link to the full list of combos if I can find one, but a lot of the links at the moment are dead, so wish me luck. Hope this is good for y'all!

Last edited:
Tricky Moveset:
Jab: Tricky Bites 3 times the Opponent.
Side Tilt: Swings his Sing forwards
Up Tilt: Points his Sign upwards.
Down tilt: Slams the Enemy with Sign.
Aerial Attack: Tricky Flips 360° and Swings the Sign at the same time.
Neutral Special: Sniper Rifle - Tricky grabs Jesus' Sniper Rifle
Side Special: Tricky Rush - Tricky runs at enemy and grabs him, after Grab he bites so hard that enemy knocks back from him. (Similar to Flying Slam).
Up Special: Drive Teleport - Tricky grabs the Drive and teleports like Mewtwo.
Down Special: Improbability Drive - Tricky Distorts Time-Space with the device that slows down enemies as Act of Counter and He attacks with WORDS like FAILURE that would KO you.

Final Smash: HellClown Tricky - Tricky turns himself into Hell version of Him and he Appears in Background, then He acts like Bowser's SSBU Final Smash, but after KOing someone, the Drive messages are appearing. After that, Final Smash ends with Tricky's form reversion to himself normal.

Gimmick: Face Mask - Tricky has temporary Super Armor on his Head that after serious break, he loses it making Head Vulnerable, but he gets Damage boost for While.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Here's a pair of characters that I think could be pretty cool "guest" additions. Despite being a pair, however, they actually could work as clone characters, in a similar vein to Ryu and Ken - similarly to their original design.

Blade and Blue, from the KA Omake animated series by Equinox-Twilight, a Newgrounds user.
1632678346010.png

Whilst this pair of Sonic fan characters seem to be pretty randomly picked, the pair of them actually have pretty deep history in one of the single biggest Flash game series of all time - Super Smash Flash. The pair featured in the original game, the former as a base-roster character and Blue as a secret, unlockable fighter - with both being considered clones of each other in terms of gameplay. However, despite both originally being confirmed for Super Smash Flash 2, they - along with other fan characters - wound up being cut from the title before release.

The designs present here align with their scrapped Super Smash Flash 2 designs, and here's a quick look at them both. Please note, certain names of things would be changed in the final game for the sake of licensing.

Blade and Blue both essentially have the abilities of Sonic, possessing the Spin Dash and a relatively high speed, but low defence, making them rushdown fighters. Even so, they also both have swords - automatically making their movesets pretty different, as well as Blade possessing the ability to control electricity, and Blue possessing the ability to control fire.

Interestingly, as a result of these abilities, Blade's attacks - despite being slightly weaker - are much faster to come out (at least, those that use the same animations) though are a little weaker as a result, though Blue is the opposite - with slightly slower, but much stronger, attacks.

Interestingly, the pair are considered clone characters - whilst some might suggest it would be a good idea to declone them, their history suggests otherwise, and having them as clones means that they, in theory... could only take up a single slot. (If only one of the pair can stay, Blade should stay - and Blue maybe could be a secret alternate costume or something, and a playable character in the next game.)

Anyways this is just a thought I had lmao

Here's a pair of characters that I think could be pretty cool "guest" additions. Despite being a pair, however, they actually could work as clone characters, in a similar vein to Ryu and Ken - similarly to their original design.

Blade and Blue, from the KA Omake animated series by Equinox-Twilight, a Newgrounds user.
View attachment 331687

Whilst this pair of Sonic fan characters seem to be pretty randomly picked, the pair of them actually have pretty deep history in one of the single biggest Flash game series of all time - Super Smash Flash. The pair featured in the original game, the former as a base-roster character and Blue as a secret, unlockable fighter - with both being considered clones of each other in terms of gameplay. However, despite both originally being confirmed for Super Smash Flash 2, they - along with other fan characters - wound up being cut from the title before release.

The designs present here align with their scrapped Super Smash Flash 2 designs, and here's a quick look at them both. Please note, certain names of things would be changed in the final game for the sake of licensing.

Blade and Blue both essentially have the abilities of Sonic, possessing the Spin Dash and a relatively high speed, but low defence, making them rushdown fighters. Even so, they also both have swords - automatically making their movesets pretty different, as well as Blade possessing the ability to control electricity, and Blue possessing the ability to control fire.

Interestingly, as a result of these abilities, Blade's attacks - despite being slightly weaker - are much faster to come out (at least, those that use the same animations) though are a little weaker as a result, though Blue is the opposite - with slightly slower, but much stronger, attacks.

Interestingly, the pair are considered clone characters - whilst some might suggest it would be a good idea to declone them, their history suggests otherwise, and having them as clones means that they, in theory... could only take up a single slot. (If only one of the pair can stay, Blade should stay - and Blue maybe could be a secret alternate costume or something, and a playable character in the next game.)

Anyways this is just a thought I had lmao
Okay dude!

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Next Job 4:
Submit a Stage for Tricky or Dad n Son!
Stage Name: Almond Hands Park
Stage Origin: Dad 'n Me
1635361128324.png

Taking the form of the famed playground, it's interesting because of the main gimmick - quite a lot of propane tanks have been left around, which can be picked up and thrown - exploding violently on contact!

PhantomT5

Smash Rookie
Finally, someone who knows Newgrounds Rumble existence. But I do have some info about the game development hell sequel. Also this is a long comment so be prepare.

Newgrounds Rumble 2 was confirmed in 2012 when it was pre development cycle and the only person who was in charge making the project was Mindchamber. Mindchamber was the main sprite artist and artist for Newgrounds Rumble but was also co-director of Newgrounds Rumble. You might be asking yourself "then who is the main director of Newgrounds Rumble?" It would be NegativeOne. NegativeOne was the programmer of Newgrounds Rumble, did 8 out of the 10 base game stage backgrounds for Newgrounds Rumble, and was main director. Why wasn't NegativeOne in involved in the sequel? He didn't want to make a sequel. NegativeOne has said multiple times when updates of Newgrounds Rumble ended that he doesn't want to make a sequel and want to move on from making other games but sadly people harassed him from the point that he hasn't been active in Newgrounds since 2013. I find it ashame that the guy who was able to make Newgrounds Rumble a reality got betrayed by fans of his who just wanted more characters. The only thing NegativeOne said about a Newgrounds Rumble 2 is the game would need to be remade from scratch instead of making it a Street Fighter 2 to Super Street Fighter 2 where you just add a few new characters and balance changes because he does want to push Newgrounds Rumble similar to how Sakurai pushes with each Smash Bros game. I was really hoping that NegativeOne would work for the Rival of Aether devs or even from Multiversus since he is a talented programmer but sadly no one knows where he is now.

I also want to talk about the rules when it comes to Newgrounds Rumble character choices. The main and most important rule is it has to be a character that originated in Newgrounds. You might think its a slam dunk but in reality a lot of people get this wrong. For example Metal Gear Awesome isn't a Newgrounds character because it is a parody of Metal Gear and the character is owned by Konami. This also includes the Super Mario BrosZ as well as Mario vs Sonic sprites animations as well. But this could also include real life people who made content from Newgrounds such as Tom Fulp, Egoraptor, and other real life people as well. It has to be a character that has to be original such as Pico, Tankmen, P-Bot, Fancy Pants, Hank, Alein Hominid as an example. I know most people are worried about characters such as Edd from Eddsworld might not have a chance but in reality he does. Piconjo was added but the creator of Piconjo voices the character and is the user but they aren't related in the real world. The creator of Piconjo isn't going to do what the OC character is doing since they are both different people so Edd has a good chance getting in.

Oh anyways back to Mindchamber. Someone asked Mindchamber about a sequel to Newgrounds Rumble and Mindchamber replied "rumble 2 is still in pre dev cycle. emails have gone out to creators of the new characters we want to add. no definitive dates as to when this will get done. since we would need to the rights of almost 12 different artists. never say never though :)." And it never came out... nah I'm joking, the reason why its taking so long is because he needed a 9 to 5 to get the bills pay causing the project to get delayed from the point that people weren't sure if the project was cancelled. Also something that is very important is Mindchamber can't make Newgrounds Rumble 2 a reality if he can't find a programmer to help him make the game. The reason why the game has taken so long is because he doesn't have a programmer to help him code the game. NegativeOne was the only programmer of Newgrounds Rumble and with him out of the picture now its time to find someone who can program in fighting games. But in April 6 2021, he posted an animation of Piconjo walking, harmless, but it says #newgroundsrumble2 and that's when people started to flip out and the biggest part of all "the doc was finished 10 years ago." Well...the doc as in the characters he wanted in the game, he mention in a podcast that the project is still in sketches and concepts with a list of characters he wants in the game. Originally he wanted the game to have double its roster in the base game. Why did I say originally? We will get to that later. He didn't say what the new characters will be but I did dig deeper in the rabbit hole and I found the character roster.

Ok so before I get to the roster I also want to point out that a concept idea Mindchamber wants to add and it is your character wearing badges and I had the dumbest smile in my face of imagining the playable characters having badges of other characters. Imagine if spirits and trophies were shown in the battle field in smash bros XD. I love this idea and I hope it happens.

Original New Characters Roster: Bitey from Bitey of Brackenwood. Blockhead from Blockhead. Strawberry Clock (similar to Piconjo where they are troll users). Miss Dynamite from Miss Dynamite (18+). Joe Zombie from Joe Zombie. Foamy the Squirrel from Foamy. Dirge from Xombie series. Mindchamber robot (not the creator but his OC character called Mindchamber you see in his pfp). Stickslayer from Stick Slayer (RIP Ben Spurgin). And... Scr*tum the Puppy (18+ and was also the first Newgrounds content published in Newgrounds who wasn't Tom Fulp).

These were going to be the new character added for Newgrounds Rumble 2 and I have to say, I respect Mindchamber for saying faithful to the original Newgrounds Rumble roster line up because NegativeOne said multipe times that Newgrounds Rumble isn't focused to popular characters, they want to add characters that are important to Newgrounds history and this looks like a faithful sequel. I do wish we have some Flash games characters but this is still a great roster with new characters that were requested by NegativeOne such as Blockhead, Strawberry Clock, Dirge, Joe Zombie, Foamy, and even Bitey who was originally going to be in Newgrounds Rumble but was cut due to the devs unable to make Bitey work so to see him at the top shows that he is giving the fans what they want but also give some weird picks such as Miss Dynamite, Mindchamber robot, Stickslayer, and even Scr*tum the Puppy.

Just one problem...I found the info back in Febuary 9 2021 and some of these characters would be either simple to get or impossible since the creator of Stickslayer passed away due to cancer and the creator of Scr*tum the Puppy isn't active in Newgrounds since 2013...WHY ARE TALENTED NEWGROUNDS USER LEFT IN 2013!!!! Not only that but now there are new characters that people want in the game and even Mindchamber agrees since the doc was 10 years old so adding a few new characters would spice up the roster and grab more casual players in the game.

And for a while nothing happened until yesterday I found a posted he did talking about the art direction if Newgrounds Rumble should be in 2D or 3D. 2D would be frame by frame similar to Skull Girls and Newgrounds Rumble but 3D could open the possibility to more content such as costumes. And the vote was over 80% for 2D and less than 20% for 3D with people explaining 2D should be the art direction since it would be faithful to the original game. And finally the newest info and this is about the roster size. Sadly the roster will not double the original size but instead it might start with 8 characters with 4 returning and 4 new characters. I want to warn you that the 4 new characters he said is his wish list and not something that will happen in the game so keep that in mind.

New Character Wish List: Boyfriend from Friday Night Funkin. Enya from...actually I tried to do research who they are but I can't find anything. Hyper Boy from Hyper Boy. And the big one, Isaac from Blinding of Isaac.

You might be asking yourself "why is this massively different from the original roster doc for Newgrounds Rumble 2." Again he said that its his wish list of characters he want in the sequel if he could get the rights to them so you could just ignore it but I'm keeping them in mind because I've been doing research for over a year and I want to make sure I get every piece of history when it comes to this game.

And that is the long history of Newgrounds Rumble. Ok, So after reading it I know it sounds like I'm critical to Mindchamber but I want to give huge props to Mindchamber for trying to get Newgrounds Rumble 2 in the works because finding a programmer especially in fighting games is difficult and I hope he finds one in the future. I also want to talk about Luis who also worked on Newgrounds Rumble for the two sprites, two background stages, and the menus doesn't want to make a Newgrounds Rumble sequel. Luckily he hasn't been harassed like NegativeOne and is good friends with Mindchamber when he said it.

Top Bottom