• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Battle of AGES, a SEGA platform fighter

What's the roster number gonna be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Job #249: The City of Moons (Torico)
Lunacy-0000.png

A mythical city most people in the quaint City of Mist dont believe is real, The main character Fred is however is set in finding the entrance to this city in hopes of discovering his lost memories. City of Moons is a detour stage that has 4 different towers that stage will move the player to with their own gimmick based off the puzzles from the actual game. Each area will have a butterfly representing the each area's theme in reference to the fact that Torico is a spin off of Mansion of Hidden Souls.

Tower of Wind
Massive blows of wind will surface blowing the player away
Lunacy-0020.png

Tower of Earth
A Carpet monster exist on the ground here, watch out to not get eaten by it or its over.
Lunacy-0034.png

Tower of Water
Dont get tricked by illusions here or you'll drown
Lunacy-0027.png

Tower of Light
If you loose your shadow here its lights out for you.
Lunacy-0010.png

Music: A arrangement medley of tunes from the Mansion of Hidden Souls here would be great here, not really a series for fighting music, more for conveying ambiance.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Home Bay (Ecco the Dolphin)

Where it all started. Underwater stage with simple Battlefieldish layout and low gravity (jump higher, jump and fall slower).

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Job #249: Submit a stage from a misc. SEGA property

It's time to decide on this season's misc. stage, and this time.....ah **** it, anything's on the table. Just as long as it doesn't have a playable character. Also keep in mind that this would take the winning series out of the running for playable rep
Might as well take a crack at something unorthodox!

Stage Name: Acropolis
Stage Origin: Virtua Racing (1992)

SEGA's first release on the iconic Model 1 arcade hardware and one of their earliest forays into true 3D, Virtua Racing is an iconic piece of SEGA history that honestly doesn't get nearly enough recognition. I'm specifically submitting Acropolis because it's got a lot of potential to be a very pretty place to fight at - you'd be on the opposite side of the bay, overlooking the raceway on the opposite side of the lake and being able to see numerous racing vehicles from the Virtua Racing games (such as the Stock and Prototype introduced in the 32X port) driving around the track as you fight on the stage (including around that infamous hairpin turn.) As for the stage itself, it'd mostly be made up of marble platforms similar to the titular Acropolis, albeit placed on the opposite side of the bay to allow optimim fighting power. Note that the stage's design is more directly influenced by the reasonably recent SEGA Ages port rather than being modernised - allowing its polygonal "SEGA Blue Sky" look to really shine in full force.

Whilst Acropolis might not necessarily be the first racetrack you'd think of for a SEGA racing game in track form (with my main alternative selection here being from the Daytona USA series), I felt that the importance of this game in SEGA's greater history, as well as the potential licensing issues that could arise from pulling a Daytona USA track (even if it was an original one like Dinosaur Canyon) - and it's also a great opportunity to both pull in some music from various SEGA racing games, as well as a few oddballs from the Virtua brand. (Also there's a non-zero chance that someone would want to submit Hornet and I'm not wanting to take that from them, if I'm honest.)

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Job #125 - Another Super Performance! (Feel The Magic: XX/XY)

View attachment 342312

Feel The Magic: XX/XY, also known as Project Rub in PAL regions and I Would Die For You in Japan (incredible title) is a Nintendo DS launch title by Sega and Sonic Team, possibly most famous for the sensual box art of a woman in silhouette wearing a bikini. It turns out everything in this game is a silhouette, from the strange Rub Rabbits creatures to the hapless protagonist and his equally unlucky lover. It turns out what this game is is...a really silly and pretty funny little Elite Beat Agents/WarioWare style minigame-collection with a great sense of style and humor, all themed around getting into situations with the mysterious girl of one's dreams you have to rescue her, yourself, or the public from. Sheesh!

This stage based on it would be a wacky one, naturally, to fit the style of it all. At first it would seem like a fairly standard place, as the fighters start on the large Break Time! platform as the girl of one's dreams sips her tea and plays with her cat in the background and the Rub Rabbits lounge around. Nice and peaceful, right?

WRONG!

After a few moments it turns out you're on a tightrope high above the city!

View attachment 342313

And let me tell you, monocyclists aren't the only thing you'll have to skillfully dodge as our happy couple gets into all kinds of grave danger! Why, they may have to face...

View attachment 342314

RAGING BULLS!

View attachment 342319

CALTROPS!

View attachment 342320

A DEADLY ANTLION!

View attachment 342324

HUMAN BOWLING BALLS!

View attachment 342326

View attachment 342330
AND SO MUCH MORE!

So yes, this stage will have a great artstyle and all kinds of ridiculous hazards that can hinder competitors and transform the terrain, changing the flow of the fight in an instant. It's chaotic, but hey, anything for love!

View attachment 342328

In researching this stage I realized that the game has so much material you could easily make a moveset for this couple, which is absolutely hilarious to me. Seriously check this game and its sequel out if you get the chance, it's pretty fun.
I'm bringing it back one more time! That's right, it's time for Another Super Performance! Be sure to check the original post for all the images, as it's still a stage writeup I'm super proud of.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Resubmitting auriga

Auriga (ENDLESS)

The ENDLESS Series is made by Amplitude studios and published by SEGA.

The stage would start out in the Middle of Space on top of a starship from ENDLESS Space and ENDLESS Space 2

The starship is a medium sized platform about the size of FD with 2 platforms that bob up and down

The starship flies around before crashing into planet Auriga where you essentially see a game of ENDLESS Legend being played as you fly around on the destroyed starship that lost a platform and the edges are melted and slanted

You see many sites and battles from ENDLESS Legend including many heroes and cities being built from many of the factions.

The ship finally gives out and falls into the ground where they tunnel through it and you end up in a Dungeon from ENDLESS Dungeon or Dungeon of the ENDLESS. From here the Layouts vary wildly and new hazards like enemies running onto the stage and attacking players start to appear.

After a bit the stage resets with everyone back on the starship where you see the planet in all it's glory before the stage resumes.

D

Deleted member

Resubtting. I think it would be cool to get some vanillaware rep in here
View attachment 352467
View attachment 352468

Sakura High School (13 Sentinels: Aeigs Rim)
From the gorgeous vanillaware developed and Atlus published RTS game. This game is on the more recent side of things but is extremely well regarded for its engaging story.

The stage would take place in rhe roof of the High School. Kind of like the above image but would feature extra elements such as vending machines and a bench. Various characters from the game cameo. In the background, Mechs known as Sentinels will do battle with monsters known as Deimos. The damage from this epic Brawl could effect the stage.

True to the orignal game, the stage will shift between three time periods. WW2, the 80s and the future. This will effect which characters show up and also the themging of the stage.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, time to do this. I've had this idea swirling around in my head for a while, but always found it a bit tough to do. But I think it's time

Job #249: Earth Battlefield (The Hybrid Front)
the-hybrid-front_5.png

Alright, this one probably needs some explaining. The Hybrid Front was a turn-based strategy game released by SEGA for the Mega Drive in 1994, in Japan only. The game takes place in a futuristic setting, and is interesting because it kind of serves as a spiritual successor to the Mega Drive's two SEGA-developed games in the Daisenryaku series of strategy games, and because it had an extensive story written by renowned Japanese sci-fi author Masahiro Noda. The premise is as follows:

Ever since the second half of the 21st century, fossil fuel resources on Earth have been depleting, which has deepened the present conflict. It reached a point where second and third-world countries turned to large corporations for support, resulting in the passing of the Corporate Support Act, which wound up giving said corporations military empowerment through the creation of their own private police force. Going into the 22nd century, Middle Eastern oil producers waned in power after society started switching to using hydrogen fuel, and they contributed majorly to the establishment of orbital satellite-based industries and communities. Things never truly became peaceful, and global warming still continued, but this century saw humanity slowly recover from the "oil wars" of the past.

However, come the 24th century, the corporate powers established enough self-sustaining infrastructure that they proposed ditching the Earth's nations altogether and forming their own collective power. This was immediately opposed by the United Nations, and political tensions escalated until the First and Second Orbital Wars broke out, culminating in the corporate powers obtaining complete control over the satellite collective of the Earth's orbital belt. The first Orbital war ended with them establishing themselves as an organization named CoCoON, and the second one ended with them using the satellite laser weapon Metal Hammer to strategically destroy Earth's major cities and centers of industry, thus resulting in a landslide victory for them. This complete sweep forced the UN and Earth's nations to reach a truce with CoCoON, establishing themselves as the PETO (Pan Earth Treaty Organization). While peace would come after this negotiation, CoCoON gained a reputation for being hostile war mongers who kept revolting against the PETO's peaceful coalition and forced them to act as a puppet government, thus having complete control over human civilization. However, the PETO had a last resort: the independent armored transport contractors who were able to keep Earth's supply chain going even amidst all the chaos, known as the Mules. PETO and the Mules join forces to make a last stand resisting against CoCoON's forces, making themselves known as the legendary Hybrid Front.

So yeah, that's a lot to take in, but I told you the story was extensive. The game very much has this sort of Front Mission-y hard sci-fi vibe, and I for one find it extremely cool. The aesthetic, character designs, soundtrack, etc are all on point, and I think this game is a really cool piece of Japanese SEGA history.

The game came out late in the MD's lifespan, so I don't believe it did too well, but from what I've observed, it seems to be sort of a cult favorite SEGA title in Japan. It was among the 20 highest rated games by voters in the official Mega Drive magazine from back in the day, it got a Wii Virtual Console release, and it was selected as one of 42 games to come in the Japanese Mega Drive Mini. So it'd be neat to give it some form of representation, and I honestly think there's just too little English info for us to really do a hypothetical playable fighter justice, so a stage should be fine.

The game spans battles on Earth, Mars and even the Moon at one point, but I decided to keep things simple. The stage would take place during a battle between the Hybrid Front and CoCoON - players would be fighting on the battlefield, with cliffs serving as platforms. All kinds of armoured units would be seen battling it out in the background, such as tanks, jets, etc. Sometimes the war bleeds over into our fight - maybe a flying unit comes in and rains down bullets on the fighters, or someone throws a grenade at the stage, or on rarer occasions, an asteroid comes down and causes a large explosion. I just think the idea of this dystopian sci-fi battlefield being a stage would be really cool, and it'd be a great way of representing an overlooked notable MD title.

Also I mentioned the soundtrack was good, but seriously go check it out, it's excellent.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Resubmitting the Rez stage idea because I just think it’s a neat game! :)

Job #204: Cyberspace (Rez)

View attachment 352451

So Rez is this really cool game that Sega released in 2001 for the Dreamcast and PlayStation 2. The main jist is that it's an on-rail shooter where you play as a computer hacker who has to fight off viruses and awaken the AI Eden. The game has this wireframe aesthetic and your shots sync up with the game's music. I'd highly recommend looking into this game if you're interested. It's an incredibly unique experience and is suprisingly accessible to modern audiences. It got ported to the Xbox 360 back in 2008, and an enhanced VR compatible version was released for the PS4 and PC a few years back. Between how long this game has endured and its unique aesthetic, Rez stood out to me as something that would make for a compelling stage.

In this stage, you'll be fighting on a single flat stage with three platforms being guided along the rails throughout the vastness of cyberspace. The platforms will dissapear and reappear to the beat of the music, and everyime a fighter gets knocked out, the aesthetic of the stage changes as you're transported to a different area in cyberspace. Here's just a taste of some of the abstract locations you can look forward to visiting on your cyberspace tour:

View attachment 352459
View attachment 352461
View attachment 352462
View attachment 352463

When you're on your last stock or the timer is close to running out, you'll be transported to the room where none other than Eden resides. The AI will watch over the remainder of your battle without interfering.

View attachment 352464

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
With Speed Weed Speed Weed 's official permission, resubmitting his stage post back from a bonus DLC stage job a few months ago.

Alright, so!

Today, SEGA did a livestream revealing the final batch of games for the Mega Drive Mini 2. And they surprised us all by revealing not one, not two, but six bonus games. And two of those caught my eye, cause they were based on a game that I hadn't really thought of as potential for this project before, but actually would make for an interesting stage, has a neat place in their history, and is all around just a cool oddity that would make for a fun stage. Fellas, I introduce to you......

Job #249: New Misc. SEGA Stage - Party Quiz (Party Quiz Mega Q)

Party Quiz Mega Q was a general-knowledge quiz game released by SEGA for the Mega Drive in 1993, in Japan only. The game's made to look like an over-the-top game show, complete with an intro sequence and ad breaks for SEGA products. The game features various different modes, but generally, players gain or lose points based on their performance in the questions. The player with the most points is the winner.

This game was later released for the JP Wii Virtual Console in 2007, and its soundtrack was featured in the 2014 album Mega Drive 25th Anniversary Album Vol. 1 (even longer before that, ~Mega Q Blues~ was included in 1994's Super Mega Drive Fan Vol. 2 album). The game was then featured in the JP version of the original Mega Drive Mini in 2019, and was apparently really popular there? But we now have a more recent bit of news on this game, namely that the Mega Drive Mini 2 will feature two different versions of the game as bonuses - Party Quiz Mega Q 2022, a version of the game with more contemporary questions, and Party Quiz SEGA Q, a version of the game with SEGA-centric questions and Takenobu Mitsuyoshi himself as the host. So it's still a somewhat relevant and notable retro SEGA title, all things considered.

We'll be using the SEGA questions for this stage. I'm taking some inspiration from the Buzz! trivia section of LittleBigPlanet's Dreamscape stage in Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale - players will be fighting in the middle of the game show. The funky host dude will then show up and ask one of many SEGA-related trivia questions. The answers will show up at the top of the screen, and players can "hit" the answers and get tagged with the corresponding letter. Once some time has passed and the question is over, players tagged with the correct answer will recieve benefits (healed, buffed, turned invincible, etc...) while players tagged with the wrong answer will suffer for it (damaged, stunned, shrunk, turned into Jogurt, etc...). This will continue until the match ends. So it's a little bit of the Buzz! stage, a little bit of WarioWare, but overall something I feel would be very fun.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
1. Acropolis
2. Another Super Performance
3. Party Quiz

I honestly think Columns wouldn't make sense as a stage now, since we already got a similarly-functioning assist of those gems.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, time to close the vote. Here are the results:

Moons: 2 points
Columns: 7 points
Bay: 3 points
Acro: 10 points
Rub: 9 points
Auriga: 0 points
Sakura: 2 points
Earth: 3 points
Rez: 16 points
Quiz: 2 points

And there we have it: capping off Season 2's stages will be Cyberspace! I'm happy with this result, finally giving representation to one of the most acclaimed SEGA games ever.

Moving on, we shall tackle our misc. assist. This one might seem a bit specific, but hear me out:

Job #250: Submit a misc. assist who...debuted after 1990

Okay so this time I'm not allowing any picks from 1990 and before. There's a reason for this: let's look at the last 4 misc. assists we added:

-F-14 Tomcat
-Mary
-Columns
-Alien Busters

All of those come from games that debuted in that timeframe. I kind of feel like it's time we start giving other eras of SEGA their due, and so this job will be for that. Have at it

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord
Job 250: Taro Sega(SEGAGAGA)

SEGAGAGA was the ultimate SEGA crossover(before this, obviously). The main character of that game was Taro. When summoned, he'll act as a benefical assist handing out items inside containers disguised as SEGA consoles. When his time's up, instead of vanishing, he'll ride off in the Thunder Force style ship from the end of the game, ramming any enemies who comes in his way.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Job #250: Irori ( ESP RA.DE.)

An orphan Esper from the CAVE/ATLUS top down arcade shooter ESP RA.DE. Goes on a revenge quest after Mrs Gara killed her parents who protected her from Yaksa assassins. Irori attack pattern projects a green bird thats rains millions of projectiles at foes.

The RA.DE. in ESP RA.DE. stands for RAGING DECIDE/DECISION which is the main boss theme of the game. The game recently had re-release on the switch by M2 within their Shottrigger series like Aleste complete now with SEGA's copyright added to the game.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
Job #250: Irori ( ESP RA.DE.)

An orphan Esper from the CAVE/ATLUS top down arcade shooter ESP RA.DE. Goes on a revenge quest after Mrs Gara killed her parents who protected her from Yaksa assassins. Irori attack pattern projects a green bird thats rains millions of projectiles at foes.

The RA.DE. in ESP RA.DE. stands for RAGING DECIDE/DECISION which is the main boss theme of the game. The game recently had re-release on the switch by M2 within their Shottrigger series like Aleste complete now with SEGA's copyright added to the game.
Maybe we can save this for the inevirable guest-themed pass. Cave is the owner of it, despite being published by Atlus in the past.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Maybe we can save this for the inevirable guest-themed pass. Cave is the owner of it, despite being published by Atlus in the past.
Cave no longer owns the rights
its fully a SEGA/ATLUS IP as of now going from the Shotrigger remaster.
When they first revealed it was getting remastered It only had ATLUS/CAVE on the copyright section alongside M2

Several months later Sega copyright was added and ATLUS/CAVE was moved to being owners of the original release in 1998, meaning the game was acquired during that time.
1677794841734.png

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
So I've been mulling over some options. Kind of flip-flopping between a few here, and ultimately I reached a conclusion. I'd have liked to do a deeper cut, and the one I'm about to pitch may seem a little run-into-the-ground, but when all's said and done I do think an assist is the best role for them.

Job #250: Ristar
Ristar_Render.png

So! Ristar!

This dude comes from the platforming game of the same name, released very late into the Mega Drive's lifespan. I'm sure you all know who he is, so I'll keep it brief, but the game is indeed pretty good. It gets the nod from SEGA.....sometimes. Like, it's not a full-blown reference darling, but Ristar does show up in stuff like Shenmue, Segagaga, a few compilation albums, so there's some stuff there.

That being said....I do think he often tends to get majorly overblown. I have complicated feelings on how often he gets hit with the "well he's GOTTA be in" stick, or how he's kind of emblematic of how Sonic-adjacent characters get special treatment and attention at the expense of other parts of SEGA's history. I think he's been put on a pedestal that isn't quite right for him. People think he's this massive SEGA icon, when really he's just a neat lil dude from a neat obscure game. All told, I do think he has his place in SEGA history. He's a cool design from a pretty great game, he has some prestige albeit not as much as others, I think he's absolutely deserving of some representation somewhere. I just wouldn't prioritize him for a playable spot. I think an assist fits just right for him - he'll walk around and grab opponents to then launch himself into them.

Also fun fact, Ristar was developed on the base code of a couple previous MD games, one of them being Hybrid Front, so this nomination and my previous one actually are connected

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Job #250: Poach Arsia (Napple Tale: Arsia in Daydream)

Being a console oozing with creative and fascinating games, Dreamcast oddities are always really fun to look at. Of course the Dreamcast's more notable games were also incredibly ambitious and unique, but I think when you dive deeper into the console's library is when you get some really juicy stuff. Your Illbleeds, your Rezs, and the subject of today's submission, Napple Tale.

Napple Tale is a neat little 2.5D platformer released on the Dreamcast in 2000 that never left Japanese shores. The game follows Poach Arsia, a young girl who accidentally gets sent to Napple World, the realm of daydreams that exists between the mortal world and the afterlife. In order to return home, she must embark on a journey through different parts of Napple World themed around the four seasons and collecting "petals," or spirits that exist within Arsia that allows her to exist in the real world.

The history behind Napple Tale's development is actually quite interesting, as it was handled by a predominantly female dev team and has a soundtrack composed by the one and only Yoko Kanno, with vocals provided by Japanese singer and voice actress Maaya Sakamoto. Fun fact, these two were involved in one of the Cardcaptor Sakura openings and both played a part in The Vision of Escaflowne, with Kanno composing the soundtrack and Sakamoto providing the voice of the main heroine Hitomi. Both of which are fun coincidences considering that Arsia's design feels very Cardcaptor-esque and both this game and Escaflowne have the very similar premise of "young woman gets sent to a high fantasy world against her will." Ties to late '90s anime aside, I just think Napple Tale is neat! It's on my short list of games to check out, but I absolutely adore the game's aesthetic and vibes and any cool game with a female-driven dev team is sure to pique my interest.

Arsia's assist function is quite simple. When summoned, she'll swing her wand at the opponent and send them rolling forward in a ball, just as she does to enemies in her home game. While in the rolling state, the oncoming opponent becomes a hitbox that damages other fighters on contact.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Okay I'd have liked to get more submissions in but I think enough time has passed. Lets go

Taro Sega ( Qwerty UIOP Qwerty UIOP )
Irori ( Captain Shwampy Captain Shwampy )
Ristar (ya boy)
Arsia Poach ( OrpheusTelos OrpheusTelos )

Vote for your top 2 picks - you can self-vote, but only in second place.

1. Arsia - I think she's the best pick out of this batch, Napple Tale is a super interesting little game that actually does seem to have some cult popularity in Japan from what I've observed so it'd be really neat to get her in
2. Irori. Really inspired choice

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, time to close the vote.

Taro: 1 points
Irori: 6 points
Ristar: 7 points
Arsia: 11 points

And our next assist will be none other than.....Arsia Poach!!! Very very happy about this.

That leads to us finishing off Season 2's final major piece of content - here we go:

Job #251: Submit a boss

......submit a boss. That's it. That is all you have to do. Worth noting is we have precious few boss slots so make sure to put thought into your choices, and also any series that already has a boss can't get another one. Have at it

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Thought about Gouji from jsr but instead decided on

Ryugi Goda (Yakuza / Like a Dragon)

Top Bottom