• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anime FighterZ: An Anime & Manga Fighting Game!

Should we allow additional reps for a same series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cashregister9

Smash Hero
1. Castle Of Cagliostro
2. Space Land
3. Konohagakure

60s/70s
Char Aznable (Gundam) [1979]

The most iconic villain from Gundam. Member of the Zeon military, Char is a calculating and commanding leader, Char is equipped with a laser sword and pilots the mechs Sazabi and a custom Zaku II

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Devilman (1972)

As for jobs i specifically enjoy getting into cameos, collectibles, etc. to see who can we reference from series besides the more popular characters being playable although not sure how interested other people are in that.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
MAZINGER Z
Must admit that I don't know too much about Mazinger but I know that it's basically the pioneer of the mecha genre, appearing in 1972 it even precedes the huge franchise of Gundam. Also there is the cool factor of fight with a giant robot!, well it would still be quite escalated for match the screen but it would be like the giant fighters of Tatsunoko vs. Capcom!

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
Ken Washio (Gatchaman)

Ken Washio or Ken The Eagle is the main character of Gatchaman,he is the team leader from a group of heroes called Gatchaman.

Gatchaman is a very famous anime and the anime was used by inspirations as Power Rangers was inspired by Gatchaman,a Gatchaman parody on Archie's Sonic The Hadgehog, Terry's batarangs from Batman Beyond was inspired on Ken's birdrangs and Gatchaman characters are in a Vs. Capcom game called Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Well **** I wasn't expecting to submit him so early but here we go I guess

Job #7: Captain Harlock
CaptainHarlock.png

Aw yeah. This guy. Captain Harlock is a manga/anime character who was serialized in the late 70s and was created by legendary manga author Leiji Matsumoto. Harlock is a space pirate, and a noble, rebellious hero who leads an outlaw crew on his starship Arcadia against oppressors and totalitarian regimes throughout the galaxy. Since his first appearance, Harlock has had various series' and movies and is notably part of an extended universe featuring many of Matsumoto's works, which means he's also showed up in stuff like fellow acclaimed series Galaxy Express 999. He's a very well-regarded legacy anime character, and Matsumoto himself is one of the most legendary and acclaimed manga creators ever, so I think he's kind of a necessity. He's also Literally The Coolest

Last edited:

Owen23

Smash Apprentice
1. Planet Namek
2. Castle of Caglistro
3. Malevolent Shrine

Job #7: Joe Yabuki (Tomorrow's Joe)
Anime Debut: "Those Are The Eyes of A Beast!" (April 1st, 1970)

Before Ippo Makunouchi, there was Joe Yabuki. Hailing from Doya Town, he is a boxer who is rude and quick to fight against his opponents, and later on, gets to appreciate his friends and rivals. He also overcame failing to battle in the temple later on too. With his boxing abilities, and his strength, Joe Yabuki is ready to box it out in this game!

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
1. Cagliostro
2. Space Land
3. Malevolent Shrine

I don’t have anything to submit because all my ideas were already taken, but I do wanna offer feedback on jobs. Personally I think doing jobs focused on different subgenres of anime and manga would be a good way for us ensure a more diverse roster. A job for mecha, comedy, magical girls, etc would be a great way for us to explore genres outside of the battle shonen bubble and get some interesting pulls. Not that there’s anything inherently wrong with shonen, I’d just like a healthy variety so the roster doesn’t end up just being Shonen Jump And Friends: The Fighting Game. Anime and manga are such varied mediums and I think we could end up with a really cool roster if we really emphasize that with our character selections. Really looking forward to seeing how this turns out! :)

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
We are already doing good on submissions, but guessing that there are people who doesn't have too much idea about old anime and manga here there are some suggestions!
Honey Kisaragi
(Cutie Honey)
Conan
(Future Boy Conan)
Naoto Azuma
(Tiger Mask)
Matael
(Galaxy Express 999)
Hyakkimaru
(Dororo)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

1. Castle of Cagliostro
2. Space Land
3. Time Chamber

Lum.png

Lum the Invader
From Rumiko Takahashi's Urusei Yatsura (this likely won't be the last time her name comes up). Sn alien oni princess with the powers of flight and electricity. Lum is a pretty popular character. Her seriws has a couple different versions and is getting a new reboot. While the anime adaption didn't happen until the 80s. The manga debuted in 1978. Its actually one of the highest selling manga of all time. Her design might be a little risqué but this isn't smash, and we could always tweak it. Anime rosters like these tend to be lacking in female characters and I wanna make sure we don't fall into that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I may edit this later but I want to say I absolutely love this prompt so far - amazing submissions. We got Devilman but I have to get another Go Nagai character I love in the mix:

Honey (Cutie Honey)

Honey Kisaragi is a cyborg girl from the 1973 manga Cutie Honey. She is a regular schoolgirl by day with her super powered "Cutie Honey" transformation always in her back pocket, making her something of a robot magical girl. Go Nagai's work is full of sex appeal, intense stories, and great action, and this is something that has persisted in every single adaptation and spinoff that Cutie Honey has had - and it has had a ton. I'm very fond of the live action tokusatsu, Cutie Honey The Live, which has a great cast of characters and fun effects to go along with joyous raucous fight scenes and some heavy plot points too. She's a cool robot!!!!! I love cool robots! She may also be the first ever shonen heroine but that's disputed. Still, she's great. Get her in.

Last edited:

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
Sorry for the delay! I had a last minute obligation and I just came back to PC.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
The decision is clear, we will have 50 Stages and the name of the thread would be Anime FighterZ!

And talking about stages, our firsts 3 stages would be The Castle of Cagliostro, Planet Namek and Space Land!

• Castle of Cagliostro: 20
  • Space Land: 10
  • Planet Namek: 9
  • Malevolent Shrine: 5
  • Konohagakure: 4
  • Hyperbolic Time Chamber: 4
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
The nominations are over, and I'm glad to be wrong about my feeling that we wil end having a lot less submissions. Maybe we will have a round two with the promt in the future who knows!, but for the moment there can only be 2 Winners so let's begin!

I would also like to let to know that I readed all your expectations and I will try to have them in mind for make this thread better!
For today there are only 2 jobs.
JOB #8 - SUGGEST NEW GAME MODES!
Suggest any type of game mode do you have in mind, depending of the amount and the overlap between modes we maybe end including all of them! So go ahead and think what class of fun modes this game could have!

JOB #9 - NOMINATE A SUBGENRE FOR THE NEXT CHARACTER JOB!
While I already had in mind some jobs about them I would like to prioritize the order I will have so submit what subgenre you would like to have a dedicated job!

If you aren't sure what we are talking about, the anime and manga have like their own type of genres in the same vein how Hollywood have themes like "Westerns, Space Opera, etc". Some of them could be the Mecha genre with fights in giant robots like Gundam, Code Geass or Neon Genesis Evangelion, the Slices of Life that are about the daily life of their protagonist usually with a lighthearted tone and humour like Bocchi the Rock, Nichijou or Yotsuba, the Mahou Shoujo or Magical Girls genre where the protagonists are a girl (usually a group of them, or even boys) make use of magical artifacts and powers to fight against the evil like Madoka Magica, Cutie Honey or Pretty Cure. There are loads of them!

Job 8:
Arcade Mode
The arcade mode in this game would act similar to traditional fighting games' arcade modes.
There are 9 rounds overall (this means 6 normal ones, 2 bonus rounds and one boss round).

It would be an obvious choice for a new mode for the game.

Job 7:
I think we should go for Mecha genre, since mecha genre is very popular and it would make sense to include the mecha characters in the roster.

1. Arsene Lupin III
2. 8th man
3. Speed Racer

Last edited:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
1. Char
2. Lupin
3. Devilman

This was a really strong lineup. Char and Lupin were a given because their franchises are Way Too Big To Ignore, but the last slot could’ve gone to just about anyone here. Harlock, Lum and Honey were really close, but I ultimately decided on Devilman because Devilman Cool.

Job #9: Mecha. Big robots are cool and there’s a lot of cool anime and manga about big robots

Flyboy

Smash Hero
1. Lady Oscar (An absolutely inspired choice - it is unbelievable how many series' owe their existence to The Rose of Versailles)
2. Char Aznable
3. Lupin III

Influence, longevity, iconic status...these three have it all. This will be a great round to revisit though as the entire lineup was amazing.

Subgenre: Shoujo. Perhaps it's a bit broad but you know that Shonen would be a good round too so why not? There are lots of excellent shoujo series' that have really fantastic and unique casts that are sure to make for a fun round provided people bring some research to the table. If you'd like something more narrow I understand but yeah!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

1. Lupin
2. Devilman
3. Harlock

This was hard. Speed Racer, Meganizer, Honey, Ken and Char all almost got it.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
My votes:
  1. Honey (I'm starting to look mlre things from magical girls and Cutie Honey is one of the first, while I'm looking at Re:Cutie Honey where the protagonista is slighty different this still Works)
  2. Devilman (Very similar to Honey, while my knowledge about him is only the Crybaby series that afaik it has notorious differences I still think he is a cool choice)
  3. Lupin (Y'know I was ready to put Lupin has my first choice but giving a small Spoiler it looks that his inclusion is guaranteed so I opted to put in higher places other characters that still dont have their spot taken)

For a subgenre my selection is Historical Fiction, one of my favorite themes even outside animanga. These stories are setted in a Historical context like the Heian Period, the Bakumatsu, the World War II, The Industrial Revolution, etc but can include more fantasious elements like characters that dont exist or even supernatural elements. For examples you have Dororo, Golden Kamuy and one that people would definitively know, Kimetsu no Yaiba!

For a Game Mode I suggest a Boss Rush, since well, we would have bosses so a Mode where you fight all of them one after other seems fitting.

Last edited:

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
HERE IT COMES NEW CHALLENGERS!

The winners of this round are Lupin III and Devilman!
  • Lupin: 28​
  • Devilman: 11
    Lum: 10​
  • Honey: 8​
  • Lady Oscar: 5​
  • Spped Racer: 4​
  • Ken: 4​
  • Cap. Harlock: 4​
  • 8th Man: 2​
  • Joe: 0​
  • Mazinger: 0​
  • Kanchiki: 0​
Has you can look, Lupin really won by a wide margin, gladly we already have a stage for him! Devilman is also a great choice and a classic character that get a second air some years ago with the Netflix show!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
Now for vote the next theme for a character job go HERE! The options would be:
Also I mode submissions would be added! Which leads me to one of the two jobs of today!

JOB #10 - NOMINATE A BOSS CHARACTER!
Submit any character for be a boss in the game, this not necessarily indicates that the character can't be playable in the future but I would encourage nominate them especifically for be bosses.

JOB #11 - SUBMIT A COLLECTABLE!
Most fighting games have some sort of unlockable collectable so let's add one for this! It could be whatever do you think it would work here either something generic like a trophy or something more unique.

Also, this is not a submission nor a discussions but would anyone be interesed in the creation of movesets? I was thinking in allow do them with a previous job for determinate the template but I don't know if I would be the only one doing them. And I also don't know too much about various characters that are included or that it would be included so I will just ask if it's interesing for anyone and if no one has interest I would just leave it in the air.

Last edited:

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
Hey, I think there was a miscount. I counted and, not counting one post where the vote was edited, Devilman has 11 points, which would put him ahead of Lum
Oh damn sorry, I was trying to make the counts between each post and I guess that that worked against me. I will edit it right now, sorry for all the incoveniences.

Even funnier is that I actually DID put Devilman first but I checked that "apparently" Lum had more.

Last edited:

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
1. Magical Girls
2. Seinen
3. Isekai

Job 11:Action Figures

yep,the action figures would be the collectables, some people collect action figures of anime characters and the action figures would be similar to trophies from Smash

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
1. Magical Girls
2. Seinen
3. Isekai
We are handing the votations via strawpoll! If you have any inconvenience with it however let me know to have in account your vote!
Can we do movesets independently from the usual jobs, like we did during the Fractured Bloodlines thread? I was thinking of taking Jotaro’s Heritage for the Future moveset and expnding upon it.
That's what I had in mind, but we would still need to have a job with slightly more in-deep discussion about how this thing would play.

D

Deleted member

Movesets should at least be attempted. Maybe do them similar to DC vs Marvel where they're bundled alongside other jobs and we give them multiple days.

I'll submit soon

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
I'm still thinking on a boss but for the collectables my submission is:
NENDOROIDS CHIBI FIGURES
They are nendoroids, but we don't have the legal rights to name them like that so let's just say that they are chibi figures, all characters would have one and could be unlocked with the arcade endings! There it would also be a pair of special figures of non-playable characters or variations that have more elusive unlock methods.

Top Bottom