• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Creates: An Alternate SSB Universe, Part I: SSB64

Pupp135

Smash Lord
While participating in one of the SmashBoards Creates Threads, I thought it would be interesting if Smashboards made a collective reimagining of the SSB series.

Since this is the alternate version of SSB64, development would’ve started in 1997 after the initial idea of Dragon King was replaced with a ring-out fighting game with Nintendo characters. In this scenario, we’ll have 8 different characters and 8 different stages that people start with and being able to unlock 4 fighters and 3 stages. Also since this a reimagining of the franchise, characters can have movesets entirely different from what they have, and you can also look at this in the perspective of each year when each of these games started development.

Things that we’ll decide on: fighters, stages, 1P-minigames, 1P game, items.
Note: No third parties, but Rare content could be in.

Job 1 will be the post below. I’ll note that Mario was automatically given a spot since he is Nintendo‘s mascot.

Below is the content added to the game:
Mario (Super Mario)
Specials: Fireball, Spin Jump, Ground Pound
1628713471347.jpeg
Luigi (Super Mario)
Specials: Fireball, Spin Jump, Ground Pound
Unlock Criteria: Beat Race to the Finish with all starting characters
1630689218647.png
Bowser (Super Mario)
Specials: Fireball, Whirling Fortress, Bowser Bomb
Unlock Criteria: Beat 1P game with all starting characters
Donkey Kong (Donkey Kong)
Specials: Barrel Throw, Spinning Kong, Hand Slap
Unlock Criteria: Beat 1P game
Excitebiker (Excitebike)
Specials: Acceleration, Super Jump Ramp, Mud Splash
1628822865373.png
Link (Legend of Zelda)
Specials: Arrows, Spin Attack, Bomb
1628713834342.png
Samus Aran (Metroid)
Specials: Missiles, Screw Attack, Morph Ball
1629729522207.png
Marth (Fire Emblem)
Specials: Shield Breaker, Dolphin Slash, Counter
1629241234916.png
Captain Falcon (F-Zero)
Specials: Falcon PAWNCH, Falcon Dive, Falcon Kick
Unlock Criteria: Beat 1P game within 20 minutes
Kirby (Kirby)
Specials: Swallow, Final Cutter, Stone
1629241425317.png
Fox (Star Fox)
Specials: Reticle, Airwing, Reflector
Pikachu (Pokemon)
Specials: Thunder Shock, Quick Attack, Thunder
1628822850117.png
Mushroom Kingdom (Super Mario)
Track: Super Mario Bros. Ground Theme,
SMB 3 Athletic Theme
1628964554502.jpeg
Bowser’s Stadium (Super Mario)
Song: Bowser’s Theme (SM64)
Unlock Criteria: Beat 1P game as Bowser
1631276173804.png
Excitebike Arena (Excitebike); (Three different layouts)
Song: Excitebike NES Theme
1629376634519.png
Hyrule Castle (LoZ)
Track: Overworld Theme

1630180366009.png
Crateria (Metroid)
Song: Theme of Samus Aran, Space Warrior
1629912560035.png
Archaneia (Fire Emblem)
Song: FE Overworld Theme
1629913842753.png
Fountain of Dreams (Kirby)
Track: Gourmet Race
1629376484685.png
Corneria (Star Fox)
Song: Corneria (SF64)
1630181167110.jpeg
Safari Zone (Pokemon)
Song: Pokemon Red/Blue/Green Theme
1629045505943.png
Duck Hunt (Duck Hunt)
Song: Duck Hunt Theme
Unlock Criteria: Beat Traverse through Level with all starting characters
1630883738039.jpeg
Final Destination (Series Original)
Song: Final Destination (SSB)
Unlock Criteria: Beat 1P game on Normal difficulty with 3 stocks and no continues
Super Mushroom (Super Mario)
1629391374408.png
Hammer (Super Mario)
Bob-omb (Super Mario)
Fire Flower (Super Mario)
Item Box (Super Mario)
1630958567910.png
Oil Barrel (DK)
Ice Wand (LoZ)
Heart Container (LoZ)
Star Rod (Kirby)
1631495262310.png
Maximum Tomato (Kirby)
1629499377263.png
Mr. Staurn (Mother)
Smart Bomb (StarFox)
NES Zapper (Duck Hunt)
1629913741419.jpeg
Balloons (Balloon Fight)
1629499552543.png
Crate (Series Original)
1630326916129.png
Barrel (Series Original)
Beam Sword (Series Original)
Bumper (Series Original)
Bulbasaur (Razor Leaf)
1629133147801.png
Charizard (Flamethrower)
Blastoise (Hydro Pump)
Jigglypuff (Sing)
Meowth (Pay Day)
Victreebel (Sludge Bomb)
Ninetails (Ember)
Electrode (Explode)
1630086517692.png
Rhydon (Stone Edge)
Magikarp (Splash)
Eevee (Tackle)
Vaporeon (Hydro Pump)
Jolteon (Thunderbolt)
1P Game:
Battle 1: 1v1
Battle 2: 2v2
Battle 3: 1v2
Minigame 1: Traverse through Level
Battle 4: 3v Giant Fox
Battle 5: Fight against Metal Charater
Battle 6: Fight against Mario Team
Minigame 2: Race to the Finish
Battle 7: Fighting Polygon Team (Stage: Final Destination)
Battle 8: Bowser (Stage: Bowser’s Stadium)
Race to the Finish: this would be something closer to a recreation of 1-1 or Green Greens, but there would still be three generic enemies who attack players.
Traverse through Level: this is similar to Ultimate’s single player minigame near the end of Classic Mode, except that there are spikes that automatically KO characters.

Job 1: First two fighters vote
Job 2: Mario and Pokemon Stage
Job 3: First Pokeball Pokemon
Job 4: 1P Minigame
Job 5: Two ‘90s Characters
Job 6: Excitebike Arena and Kirby Stage
Job 7: Mario and Pikachu Specials
Job 8: Two Items
Job 9: Two Pokeball Pokeball
Job 10: ‘80s Character
Job 11: Excitebiker and Kirby Specials
Job 12: FE and Metroid Stage
Job 13: Items
Job 14: 1P Minigame 2
Job 15: Pokeball Pokemon
Job 16: Last Starting Characters
Job 17: Marth and Samus Specials
Job 18: Last Starting Stages
Job 19: Items (Song Submissions will be available for vs. Maps)
Job 20: Specials for Last Starting Characters
Job 21: Clone Fighter
Job 22: 1P game format
Job 23: Unlockable Stage
Job 24: Unique Secret Fighter
Job 25: 1P Game Boss
Job 26: 1P Game Stages
Job 27: Special Moves for DK
Job 28: Mostly Unique Fighter
Job 29: Bowser’s Stage
Job 30: Unlock Criteria for Characters and Stages
Job 31: Special Moves for Last Fighter
Indefinite: Fill out list of items (18, 3 of which are containers), pokemon (13), tracks (1 per stage), and alts (3 per fighter) until they are filled.
Job 31: Figuring Out how We Should Approach the Sequel in Terms of Requests and Returning Content (ie new poll, returning characters, stages, and items).
Job 32: Creating a new Smash 2 “Poll”

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Job 1: Submit a Nintendo character who would not be considered in the Super Mario series, and state why you think they are a good addition. (no characters debuting after 1997)
Since Mario is Nintendo’s mascot, he was automatically given a spot, and I think we should add characters from other series also. Even though they have ties to Mario, DK, Yoshi, and Wario are eligible since they have their own series.

I’ll nominate Link from the Legend of Zelda series since LoZ is a well-known franchise with 4 games and a 5th on its way during the late ‘90s.

1628713834342.png

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Job #1: Little Mac
1628726838925.jpeg

The main character from Punch-Out, Little Mac would fight pretty similarly to how he does in Smash 4. Punch Out was actually pretty prolific and well-known compared to the other Nintendo series at the time and so I think Mac would be a good fit for this. I also feel like it would be cool to add an actual fighter from the start.

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
Job #1: Pikachu
40C9617A-B9E7-4F8F-940C-5F1F38013E33.png

Pokémon fever was a huge thing back in the late 90’s. Pikachu at the time of Smash’s development was starting to become to main mascot of the Pokémon series, with the anime and soon to be released yellow version. It makes sense from a marketing perspective to include Pikachu, it would advertise both Smash and Pokémon.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Here are the submitted options for Job 1

Pupp135 Pupp135 Link
Janx_uwu Janx_uwu Excitebiker
Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule Little Mac
cashregister9 cashregister9 Duck Hunt
Glubbfubb Glubbfubb Kirby
evanwoo10 evanwoo10 Pikachu

Vote for your three most wanted, with your submission being in second or third. The two characters with the most votes get added.

My Votes:
1. Kirby
2. Excitebiker
3. Pikachu

Also, I posting a side poll asking if the original 8 can have multiple characters from one franchise.

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Excitebiker 5
Little Mac 1
Duck Hunt 3
Kirby 4
Pikachu 5

Excitebiker and Pikachu are added to the roster.

Also, multiple characters from the same series can be on the starting roster.

Job 2: Submit a Mario and Pokemon Stage, and describe the layout and potential hazards of the stage.

Mario Stage: Mushroom Kingdom

1628814548776.jpeg

I nominated Mushroom Kindom as it is an important area in the Mario series, and there are various tools and obstacles that appear in the platforming levels of the original Super Mario Bros. Mushroom Kingdom would have an aesthetic similar to the one in SSB. In terms of layout, it would be close to the one in Melee, but there would be pipes on the opposite sides of the stage where players can use to travel between pipes.

Pokemon Stage: Pokemon Stadium

1628814661416.png

I nominated Pokemon Stadium as one of the major aspects of Pokemon is pokemon battles, and I didn’t want to pick a specific location at the time. Pokemon Stadium would have the same layout as the one in Melee, but there would be no transformations.

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
Mario Stage: Bob-omb Mountain
BE4BDC21-503A-4A0E-AFE7-0CDEF10838FF.png

The stage would take place around the top of the big mountain on Bob-omb Battlefield from Super Mario 64. I chose this stage, because it was the location for the first level in Super Mario 64, one of Mario’s biggest games at the time of development. The hazards could be Bob-ombs walking back and forth, along with Koopa the Quick running around to knock players around.

Pokémon Stage: Professor Oak’s Lab
6BB76E0B-53CB-458C-ADD6-D880B4E7D83D.jpeg

Professor Oak’s Lab would be a mostly flat indoor stage, along with some tables and platforms. I picked this stage, because Professor Oak’s Lab is where you can get your very own starter Pokémon in the first generation games. The hazards could be Charmander, Squritle, and Bulbasaur playing with each other by using their attacks to fight one another.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Mario: Princess Peach’s Castle

Pretty much just how it works in Melee

Pokémon: Safari Zone

It’s hard to get a good picture of what I think the layout would be, but pretty much it would be completely flat with a couple of trees at each end which you can stand on. There would be lots of tall grass and trees in the background and occasionally pokémon will jump in from the background and do an attack to change the course of the match.

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Here are the nominations below

Mario Stages
Mushroom Kingdom
Bob-omb Mountain
Princess Peach’s Castle

Pokemon Stages
Pokemon Stadium
Prof. Oak’s Lab
Safari Zone

For each subgroup, vote for your two most wanted stages, where your submission is not first place. The most voted stage gets added for each subgroup.

My votes:

Mario
1. Peach’s Castle
2. Bob-omb Mountain

Pokemon
1. Safari Zone
2. Pokemon Stadium

Also, I’m created a poll asking if Pokeballs should be replaced with Assist Dolls, which would include characters from any Nintendo game.

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Vote Counts

Mushroom Kingdom 5
Bob-omb Mountain 3
Princess Peach’s Castle 4

Pokemon Stadium 6
Safari Zone 6

Mushroom Kingdom won for the Mario stage, but there’s a tie with Pokemon Stadium and Safari Zone, so a poll will be used to determine which stage gets added.

Also, pokeballs were voted over assist dolls.

Job 3: Submit a pokemon to be a pokeball and describe how it works. I will note that if a pokemon is added is a pokeball, then it will not be allowed to join as a playable fighter.

1628961328388.png

My choice will be Bulbsaur, which will use razor leaf when it attacks similar to Venusaur’s attack in SSB64’s Saffron City.

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Safari Zone won for the Pokemon stage, I’ll give a couple more hours for pokeball submissions; otherwise, Bulbasaur wins by defaul.

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
Job #3: Electrode
089271EB-DA21-480F-8409-E84983981B7B.png

When spawned, Electrode will began to charge up by glowing more and more yellow. Then, Electrode will explode, unleashing a huge amount of lightning at anyone nearby, causing a lot of damage.

Pupp135

Smash Lord
I’ll soon add the poll for deciding if Bulbasaur or Electrode will be the first pokeball pokemon.

Also, I’ll make job 4 available right now, which is choosing the first single player minigame and how it works.
I’ll nominate race to the finish, which plays similarly to the ones in the original SSB, but the layout would be closer to a typical platforming level like 1-1 or Green Greens. In this case, the generic fighters would be the primary obstacles along with potential items like the original SSB

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Bublasaur won the vote as the first pokeball pokemon, and since only one minigane was added, my race to the finish mode is the first minigame.

Job 5 will be to submit a Nintendo character who debuted from 1990-97, which can be a second Pokemon. Also, stay why you think they are a good addition.

1629133026441.png

I’m nominating Marth from the Fire Emblem series since FE had 4 games at the time, and we don’t have a sword user yet.

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
I’ll renominate Kirby

Job #5: Kirby
1632FE03-BC36-4B63-BD56-38E7C9F27B9C.png

I agree with what Glubbfubb said, it wouldn’t feel the same without Kirby. Kirby was one of Nintendo’s recent popular icons at the time. Just by looking at Kirby, he is marketable towards children and could help sell some more copies.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Nominating Ness from Earthbound

Ness is the protagonist from the cult classic JRPG Mother 2/Earthbound, He could use PSI, Yo-yo's and B-Ball bats

Last edited:

KingBooGengar57

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-6126-0782-8125
Bublasaur won the vote as the first pokeball pokemon, and since only one minigane was added, my race to the finish mode is the first minigame.

Job 5 will be to submit a Nintendo character who debuted from 1990-97, which can be a second Pokemon. Also, stay why you think they are a good addition.
1629158784664.png

Fox from Star Fox.
He can use his lasers, dash with Fox Illusion, and use his reflector. He's for those that want quick and fast gameplay, with a practically no melee attacks.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Here are the votes
Marth 12
Kirby 14
Ness 4
Fox 6
Marth and Kirby will both be added to the roster.

For Job 6: Submit a layout for Excitebike Arena, and sumbit a Kirby stage and its layout.
For the Excitebike Arena, I‘d imagine it as a walkoff map where the edges of the map are slanted and increase in height towards the center. Also, excitebikers would approach the map from the left side, damaging players who touch them.

1629241147086.png

For my kirby map, I’d submit Fountain of Dreams with the same layout since I find the map too pretty to leave out.

Pupp135

Smash Lord
I’ll leave submissions for Excitebike Arena layouts and Kirby stages open for a few more hours.

Last edited:

KingBooGengar57

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-6126-0782-8125
Here are the votes
Marth 12
Kirby 14
Ness 4
Fox 6
Marth and Kirby will both be added to the roster.

For Job 6: Submit a layout for Excitebike Arena, and sumbit a Kirby stage and its layout.
For the Excitebike Arena, I‘d imagine it as a walkoff map where the edges of the map are slanted and increase in height towards the center. Also, excitebikers would approach the map from the left side, damaging players who touch them.

View attachment 326682
For my kirby map, I’d submit Fountain of Dreams with the same layout since I find the map too pretty to leave out.
For Job 6, the excite bike arena would be randomized from one of three options. The first has several high ramps, the second has a large, hilly ramp, and the third has a giant ramp with a platform hanging off of it.
Kirby stage:
Ice Cream Island
A simple flat stage with two palm trees that drop exploding coconuts.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Here are polls below for Job 6
Excitebike Arena layout (sorry for the typo with KingBooGengar57’s name on the poll)

Kirby map

I’ll post Job 7 right now, which is to submit a neutral special, an up special, and a down special for Mario and Pikachu.

Here are mine:
Mario
neutral special: Fireball, which works exactly like it does in SSB.
up special: Spin Jump. Mario spins around in a circle with his arms out, and he moves up vertically and hurts anyone who comes inter contact. You can use the horizontal movement of his recovery while using the move.
down special: Ground Pound, and this works like Yoshi’s/Bowser’s.

Pikachu
I like the SSB64 specials enough for Pikachu, so I’ll just nominate those.

Last edited:
Top Bottom