• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Audiophiles unite!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Don't bother with .FLAC. VBR0 320kbps MP3, and VBR1 192kbps are indistinguishable from FLAC. The way LAME compresses the files, the compression is done at parts of the song that there are silences in, or in frequencies human ears can't even hear. If you don't believe me, take a well-encoded high bit rate mp3, and a FLAC and compare them in a program that shows the data. With a good encode, there's literally zero discernible difference between high bitrate mp3 and flac. If you think you hear a difference, it's most likely either a bad encode, or more likely, placebo.

...sound science is a lot like religion. people believe in things that have been proven to be false.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Lol, well I don't know much about sound jargon. The only basis I've gone off of is "bitrate." Usually the albums I "acquire" end up varying anywhere from 192 to 320 kbps. Usually easier to tell when you look at the file size as a whole of the album.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Poweramp is a program. I meant, do you use an external portable headphone amplifier?

For high/top tier cans, they're usually incredibly resistant, meaning most portable sources can't drive them adequately.

Nocturnalist

Smash Ace
Poweramp is a program. I meant, do you use an external portable headphone amplifier?

For high/top tier cans, they're usually incredibly resistant, meaning most portable sources can't drive them adequately.
nah the only program i use is Virtual Dj. i wish i had a headphone amp that would be dope.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
to be honest, keeping an archive of flacs is actually a good idea. you can't be sure if the high bitrate mp3s on the internet are encoded well. If you download a flac, you can keep it archived on a large hard drive, and just compress/encode it yourself for portable use.

All of Fiio's products are good. I'd do more research on Head-Fi, though.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Alright, so I got them a few hours ago and just some first impressions. Keep in mind, I am still new to the whole audiophile business. My past headphones have been Ipod earbuds, Sennheiser CX-300 earbuds, Koss Porta Pro, Sony MDR-V150 and now these. I've also listened to the Sennheiser HD280 pro, Beats solo, studio, Skullcandy Aviators, and some Bose headphones (don't remember the model.)

First of all, the feel on the top of my head is nice. A soft padding on the top to alleviate anything that may come up. A 3 foot cord. But comfort around the ears right now is a bit troublesome. I definitely feel it press onto my ears, and after about 30-40 minutes, there was some irritation. However, I did sort of get used to it, but paid dearly when I took them off 2 hours later, cause my ears were definitely feeling...uh...more like with some redness around the ear.

Isolation is pretty solid. Just by putting them down, things become muffled on the outside, and once you start the music, everything goes quiet around you. Now, I don't think these will work on the airplane, and you may have to crank up the volume when walking downtown with cars driving by, but on the bus or subway, gym, these work great. Also leakage is pretty good as well. On my macbook, you have to go up 4 notches of volume to hear what the singer is singing with them a foot away from your ears. I figure once they are on, no one can hear them...I can't press them together to test it so to speak, so I'll have to ask someone else to wear them.

Sound, how should I put this...they aren't "open" compared to my Porta Pros, or the cheap Sony MDR-V150 I was using before I got these. There is definitely more clarity in every aspects of the songs, and the bass can definitely get booming when I set the EQ on Itunes to "classical." I really don't know how to describe it, but everything just sounds more clear compared to my previous headphones. Really happy with this purchase overall. I'm gonna let these burn in, and hopefully the sound will get better.

Just my initial thoughts. I think it's worth the 85 dollars I spent. Just wish the comfort around the ears was a bit better.

Edit: Took them to the streets and some comments...

1. They do a good job of blocking a lot of noise out, but not to the point where you can't hear anything when crossing the street.
2. When I try to slide them down around my neck, the headphones are literally choking my neck no matter what size I adjust them too. That's rather disappointing.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Honestly, you should never use headphones that completely isolate ambient noise in public situations. I do because I'm anti-social as ****, but it's a really big safety hazard.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
This morning, I walked them to class. You can still hear cars and what not, but holy **** do things get super loud when you take them off. I really like how they went with the isolation. It's not too extreme, but not too lax. I can't hear myself typing, but if someone was trying to talk to me, I can hear that and simply open up an ear.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Either they fell out of my pocket or I derped and left them somewhere for someone to grab. I live at a dorm.

Why can't I have nice things? :'(

:phone:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Assuming you checked with the dorm staff, it's unfortunate people have to resort to such things. I know when I was working out two weeks ago, I left my wallet and keys at a station. When I went back for them, they were gone. Thankfully, someone had simply returned them along with their contents.

I would probably cry if someone took my headphones.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
can someone recommend me some great PC speakers? Something simple but that I can crank up super loud and will last me a while/good quality build. I'd rather splurge and buy something quality than skimp and buy some cheap Best Buy speakers that don't sound like **** at full blast

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
-,- fiio is a good start up brand name, yes they will drive your mdr-xb1000 well but if you want true quality music advice. my advice is seek it out at head-fi.org

my audio setup right now is

headphones & iems
-Audeze LCD-2
-JH-13
-Westone 4
-Beyerdynamic dt1350

Source-
Singlepower MPX 3 -for sale $1000 amp for $500
Schiit Gungnir DAC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom