• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash will SUCK without L-Canceling

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Yup, I hate the new physics. Seems like they totally ruined the combo aspect of smash. I also hate that they removed some of the most important AT's of smash too though.

Truegamer#1

Smash Ace
With L- canceling gone, this will definatly affect the competive side of gaming, but people who really want to be good, will adapt to the new physics to Brawl, and will come up with new advance techniques...
I honestly think that Brawl will not be a competitive game to play, but is just my oppinion...

Heavyarms2050

Smash Ace
Sheildgrabbing and projectile camping will rule this game. Watch the whole match to see what I mean.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/170169.html
I dont get whats wrong with this match up? Ivysaur is just doing SHL, razor leaf in this case, like Falco in melee. later in the match, I saw Mario aerial approach ivysaur when he had his shield and he didnt shield grab because the Mario player had quick hands.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
It won't be as competitive as Melee, it's been said a million times by now, Brawl is a new game, not Melee v2, so get over it and move on already =\

Brawl will not suck without L-canceling and Wavedash.

If you want competitive stick to Melee and stop complaining about Brawl not being good enough for you, nobody cares.

RyjinX

Smash Apprentice
I don't think Smash Bros and suck can be in the same sentence. I think you need to re-evaluate what games are for.

veil222

Smash Journeyman
This was my reply in a thread suggesting to give the AT's from melee back:

"http://youtube.com/watch?v=mxfh5MyMdXY&feature=user

This one isn't a bad example of what I was talking about. Just watch when someone gets hit while sheilding by anything. At about 1:18 Falco even uses his a combo to push ganon too far away to sheild grab, if that can do it, just imagine what a strong ariel would do. Well, you don't need to imagine, at 2:35, ganon lands his fair on falco *and shoves him clean off the edge*. Even if that falco wasn't pushed off the edge, it would have been really hard to try to punish that. By the time he could close the distance the Ganon would have recovered. Again, at 3:02 there's a great example, Ganon lands his fsmash on falco's sheild and shoves him too far back to even punish, let alone sheild grab."

That specifically pertains to L-cancelling, and how if you're smart you won't even need it. They didn't take L-cancel away and leave us with nothing, they gave us new sheilding physics, which to me... add MORE depth to the game. I will no longer get to think "Oh, if I l-cancel everything I'll be fine" now I need to think "If they sheild, I need to hit with this ariel to shove them back so they don't guard, if they spot dodge, I need to stall/feign and punish".

turbo_ja

Smash Apprentice
after playing brawl for a good few hours, i've realized that L cancelling isn't that crucial at all. If anything, there are certain moves that have no lag time and are beneficial when you "L cancel it" back in melee. But now, when you want to finish someone off with a strong move, if you miss, you get punished with the delay. And i thinking about all the other fighter games that are like that for instance.

zPhoenixExz

Smash Cadet
This was my reply in a thread suggesting to give the AT's from melee back:

"http://youtube.com/watch?v=mxfh5MyMdXY&feature=user

Again, at 3:02 there's a great example, Ganon lands his fsmash on falco's sheild and shoves him too far back to even punish, let alone sheild grab."
Now that's a good example.

The only difference now is that its not possible to just continuously spam to pressure people, and gives back some use to actually dodging and rolling other than "the last resort" like in melee. Not to mention shielding is actually useful now, unlike in melee where it is pretty much a "combo bait" to even put up the shield for a second.

Titanium Dragon

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, in another thread he claims that L-Canceling was a bad design, so yes, he's an ignorant scrub.
Given that Sirlin really helped popularize the term, and would agree with me, I'd say that you're being stupid.

Here's the thing: L-cancelling is bad design because you want to do it 100% of the time. Every single aerial you want l-cancelled. As such, there's no reason to put l-cancelling in; just make every move do what would be done if you "l-cancelled". It is like playing chess with your elbows; the game is still good but it is more awkward than it needs to be.

Every single person who is whining about l-cancelling being gone is being dumb. Every single last one of them. You may not BE dumb, but you're certainly acting that way.

Same goes for the people saying it won't be a competitive game. It takes a long time to determine if a game like Brawl is competitive; I'd say it will take a year or so to sort that out, as by that time we'll see if some dominant strategy emerges which A) is not deep, B) is better than everything else and C) dominates.

I used l-cancelling a great deal, but that doesn't mean it wasn't bad design. One of the keys to good design is throwing out unnecessary stuff for the player to do and letting them get straight to the game. The Smash Brothers series does a great job of this, and getting rid of l-cancelling fits well into this theorem. Every move is done with a button + directional input, which is very easy but still allows for great depth of play. Anyone can learn to play smash in a few minutes, but getting good at it is a much longer process. Moreover, if people do practice, they want to practice interesting things, not how to move around - it is much easier to convince someone to learn how to do a combo of moves than it is to teach them to wavedash, because the former is much flashier and more interesting to them.

mosk123

Smash Journeyman
Got a question.
What exactly is L Cancelling and Wavedashing

Btw; why is everyone complaining so much? I am so excited for this game and people.. You wouldn't have anythng to complain about if it weren't for the game, be thankful you have it coming out!! Atleast u get to play it :)

veil222

Smash Journeyman
Titanium, I gave an example of why l-cancelling isn't needed in another thread too. Was something like if a characters lag time in melle was 7 minus 3 if l-cancelled, then if the lag time was just 4 to begin with lcancelling would have no point. People kind of ran over it with "omg this game is gonna suck sheild grabbing will pwn everything" spam ><.

Garuda

Smash Ace
I think the following comment that I am about to give sums it up:

Brawl won't suck, you will.

Top Bottom