• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - May 22nd

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
Smash Wii U & 3DS director Masahiro Sakurai says "Pic of the day. In previous games in the series, if you chose the red team in a team battle, your Mario would have been red. But now you can choose any color you want! The color outlining the characters will show their team affiliation."

Last edited by a moderator:

Drazile

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3797-5765-7295
I hope that those coloured outlines are optional, as I hate them personally.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
This is a bad change as in ditto match up with the right alternate color pick it might become difficult to see who who quickly.

Still cool though.

Last edited:

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
This is great! I play Mario and my Bro plays Luigi so now we truly can play as the Mario Bros with their respective colours on the same team! I wonder if the Wii U version will have such a defining outline like that.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I feel this is a 3DS only feature as outlines play a larger part in the gameplay. However, you would think that Sakurai would mention that if he felt it was important so it is possible that it will be in both versions. Hopefully this can be toggled off and on.

Last edited:

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
An interesting approach to the 3DS version for Team Battles. The Wii U one probably will do what Smash has been doing in the past since 3DS one has the whole outline thing.

Last edited:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
This is a bad change as in ditto match up with the right alternate color pick it might become difficult to see who who quickly.

Still cool though.
I think each person will still be forced to pick different colors from each other...

Coolies! I saw a few people on this board who had this idea--not with the outlines, specifically, but for teams to be represented by the icons over every character's head, and letting you pick any color swap you want. Small conveniences like this are actually pretty exciting to me.

link2702

Smash Champion
Team battles in tournaments with ditto's I'm sure the community will ensure that if you pick a team color you will also need to change your characters color to match it.

So blue teams will still need to keep their characters blue. At most its a minor inconvenience. For casual play though this is good, as now you're no longer forced to go with colors for your team that might look bad on your character (pink pit I'm looking at you)

Besides I think this might be a 3DS only feature, as it seems like the outlines are anyhow, and I doubt the 3DS one will seriously take off for competitive play like the wii U version.

And even if you can still pick any color on the wii U version as well, I'm betting the arrow that is hovering over your head(or any names) will always be there and allow most players to know which character is which. on top fo that, again, the community itself will still make sure that in teams you make sure your characters change their costumes to the same color as your team.

So I dont' see any big issues with this up date

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
This means we won't have to deal with having to play a light-shaded, white-glowing version of our character like in Brawl when there weren't two different red colors, blue colors, or green colors.

If this means that's gone I'm all for it.

Last edited:

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
I'm still gonna pick the color of my team, Im silly like that. But its cool for all the kids who want to make their "black team".

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I can see TO's mandating a revised color rule ("blue-r" characters like Lucario/Sonic got priority for picking blue team, etc.), but otherwise this is cool for friendlies/Wi-Fi.

I wonder if like outlines, there will be an option to increase/decrease their visibility on the 3DS version at least.

quotidianmusic

Smash Rookie
With all this talk of NFCs and this color change, I can't help but wonder... Would it be possible for Sakurai to include an option where we customize the character's colors ourselves? Like we get to decide the color of Sonic's shoelace, gloves, and hair (spikes?) in some sort of character color customizer? Would that be crazy or even possible? And then you can save that costume customization along with custom move sets to the NFC?

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Small changes like these actually go a really long way to convincing me that Nintendo are really trying to cater to the competitive community.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Loved this update, I can now stay pink kirby, and not be forced to be a blueberry.

Though for tourney dubz, obviously we'll have to abide by the TO rules. No biggie though, cool update.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
With all this talk of NFCs and this color change, I can't help but wonder... Would it be possible for Sakurai to include an option where we customize the character's colors ourselves? Like we get to decide the color of Sonic's shoelace, gloves, and hair (spikes?) in some sort of character color customizer? Would that be crazy or even possible? And then you can save that costume customization along with custom move sets to the NFC?
Bamco is involved, so it isn't exactly out of the question. I wouldn't hold your breath though. Sakurai is still in charge and, by and large, has a general aesthetic he likes to adhere to.

KatKit

Smash Lord
It reminds me of Super Saiyan aura. Goku confirmed.

Oops, this isn't the Grasping for straws thread.

Anyways... joking aside, this is pretty awesome. Diddy and DK, Mario and Luigi, etc. can finally be on teams with their true colors.

Last edited:

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
For those chaotic teambattles I didn't really care that my character was colorforced... It's not important. At least it was clear. I can imagine these outlines are a good idea but weren't these outlines editable? Thick or thin outlines? Or even no outlines at all? Wondering if that is still possible for teammatches.

As for the Wii U version, i don't think we'll have outlines... I think if we pick the same color on the same team, they will be a lighter and darker version again.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Here's an issue for TO's: Blue Meta Knight or Dark Blue Meta Knight? Blue Marth or Dark Blue Marth? Mario or Fire Mario? How dumb are we going to make doubles rulesets.

Also doubles tourneys in general. I shiggy diggy. Project M or Melee sides only, please.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Eh, I would have rather had just more team colors...a black, yellow, or purple team would've been cool...but I see why that is impossible.

So outlines with clashing colors (literally) it is!

Last edited:

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
Preety cool.And while im also not a big fan of outlines, people gotta remember that this is optional.
Also, POST NUMBER 1000!!!

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
Hmm, I wonder why only the outlines where mentioned as being the team color, obviously the name/player thingy is color coded as well because otherwise the feature would not work on Wii-U.

I absolutely love this change though, now I can do my nerdy story-related matches like Link and Zelda vs Ganondorf without having to make Zelda green and Ganondorf red :p

Last edited:

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
Cool stuff. I assume dittos will be similar to what it has been in previous versions where if both people pick the same colour scheme one of them is kinda white washed.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm rather happy about this update, since it at least enables you to use the color of your choice, and still be affiliated with your team color.

itsameluigi1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
luigitime1290
This game's getting pretty

Out of line.

Seriously though, this is a cool feature, I like it.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
The wii U version will probably still implement these outlines though obviously it will look a lot cleaner. I personally like the idea as now the issue with specific characters team colors being unidentifiable isn't as great an issue now that everyone will simply have an outline depicting their team color. Now if only time score based matches didn't subtract a point from you when you died unless it was an SD.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Don't understand the complaints about this. If the same character is used in a match just choose a palette swap or an alt to differentiate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom