• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - August 19th

Derekburn

Smash Apprentice
Isn't Pika already nude to begin with? If anything he should have some of those cosplays from OR/AS (although that would force a gender change, then again we already have that with the Miis, Wii Fit Trainers, Villagers and recently Robins).

Also 1 of my favorite Melee stages is back (right up there with Hyrule Temple (hopefully it's in the Wii U) and Corneria (which is all but replaced this time around).
no, pikachu is not, he wears a yellow coat over his naked pink skin

Booster

Smash Lord
I've wanted to see a costume like this ever since I played Melee. Yeah I'm a pervert **** you xP

Last edited:

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
Her outfit reminds me of cheerleading in school/college/sports. Not to mention I see women wearing jogging/work out clothes all the time.

Btw if u wanna see hot outfits, go to the mall on the weekends lol

bkslider

Smash Journeyman
This is cool, but I was really hoping for a Justin Bailey costume. Green hair ftw.

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
You must've missed the last part where I AGREED with you on the fact that this outfit is NOT inappropriate for children. And yet I'm ignorant. :V
well you said that the beach-part was the worst to compare with. If you say that, and afterwards sort of agree with me, don't expect me to ignore the first thing you said. ^^ But no hate or something man. Sorry 'bout that ignorance thingy, but it sounds kinda like that.

itsameluigi1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
luigitime1290
well you said that the beach-part was the worst to compare with. If you say that, and afterwards sort of agree with me, don't expect me to ignore the first thing you said. ^^ But no hate or something man. Sorry 'bout that ignorance thingy, but it sounds kinda like that.
No, it's alright, that was a severely rushed post of mine. I said "most cases", but I didn't elaborate that this whole ZSS alt case wasn't one of those cases. I apologize for snapping at you. :D

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
To be honest, I'm not so much concerned about the costume itself. I'm more concerned about the creepy way in which some people are reacting to it; it comes across as sort of... predatory. The lustful manner in which people react to skin-showing is very immature, and is much more of a problem in terms of making female players feel uncomfortable.

If people could be mature about this kind of thing, then it wouldn't be a problem.

As a side note, I think a lot of people don't really understand what feminism is. We really need to stop judging things by their extremes.
It's not really the skin, it's the fact that Samus is hot...as in she destroys entire alien planets and doesn't take **** from no one and she's still sexy and feminine under that suit, I don't see what's wrong with finding Samus attractive and expressing it.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
It's not really the skin, it's the fact that Samus is hot...as in she destroys entire alien planets and doesn't take **** from no one and she's still sexy and feminine under that suit, I don't see what's wrong with finding Samus attractive and expressing it.
Well, there is an important difference here. Expressing attraction towards someone is one thing, but a lot of people (both here on Smashboards and elsewhere) are detailing their blatantly sexual and sometimes creepy urges.

That was pretty much my point. Like I said, Samus herself isn't the problem.

Last edited:

Moose of the Law

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2019-9745-0500
Two things came to mind when I saw this. At first I thought, ‘Well this is something.’ My second thought was, ‘Oh god it's going to be the boots all over again.’ All joking aside, good to see thia costume get in. Now for the Tumblr 'tards to start complaining.

Travelingheir

Smash Rookie
I got the silliest smile this morning when I saw this pic of the day.

Also, I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but you can notice in the 3DS pic that the costumes are slightly different: The blue one has the zipper like in Metroid Fusion while the orange one has the triangle cutout like in Metroid: Zero Mission. I really like little details such as this :)

Last edited:

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
This raised my eyebrows more than Ike did. For two reasons. One, I just saw HD Samus in shorts. Two, how on Earth is this OK for children? I hate to be 'that guy', but come on, little kids are going to be playing this. At least bump up the rating to T.
kids play call of duty and GTA i don't think this will be a problem.

salmonofdoubt

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4957-2628-7737
Yes, this outfit is canon. But it was a mistake back then and it's still a mistake now.

Samus is a fictional character who has no agency. Her appearance, persona, and actions are entirely determined by game designers. Most of those designers happen to be male, and they were likely taking advantage of the sex appeal inherent in skimpy costumes to engage a specific audience. Sure, Sakurai claims the person who made this particular costume was female, but Sakurai was still her boss and ultimately told her to design it. The original outfits from earlier Metroid games were drawn by (probably male) designers too.

They created a unique, strong bounty hunter character who also happened to be female in the original Metroid games. They used her gender to turn the genre on its head, as most gamers at the time were young males accustomed to playing as generic male soldiers. The twist ending of the game was there to show that it doesn't matter who is behind the suit, it doesn't change their value or abilities. Samus was depicted in a bikini because they were working with very few pixels on the NES and that was the only surefire way to say "this character is female."

Since Samus's gender was established, modern Metroid games have made the mistake of using improved graphics and sex appeal as a "reward" for beating a game, which entirely misses the point of the original's twist ending. Instead of using her gender to show that among space bounty hunters, gender probably doesn't matter that much, they focus on it as the primary aspect of her identity.

I have no problem with real women wearing clothes like that, but Samus was created and dressed by male designers. Real people can choose to wear a bikini to go jogging, or to just show off their bodies if they want to. Whatever personality traits we project onto Samus, she did not decide to leave the house one morning with the express purpose of showing off her midriff to metroids. At least the zero suit might protect her bare skin from hostile alien environments.

If you still don't think that Samus's character design is demeaning and sexist, think about how other characters in body armor are treated in video games. In the Halo universe, the mystery was always about what Master Chief's face looked like. The designers teased gamers by showing him remove his helmet for a split second at the end of Halo 4 if you beat the game on legendary, a reward reminiscent of Metroid. But instead of removing all of his armor at once and seductively moving the camera up his entire body, stopping to admire his chest and butt, it went straight to his face. In Metroid Prime 2, players were rewarded with Samus in the zero suit as the camera slowly moved up her body, only coming to her face at the very end for a few seconds.

There is a huge disconnect between how females and males in similar roles are depicted in video games across all genres, and if we can't even recognize sexism in its more egregious form, how are we ever going to expand our community to include more women?

Potpourri

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2921-9942-8562
why are people going crazy over this pic tho? its literally samus in workout clothes. please chill

infomon

Smash Scientist
The existence of kids that do one thing does not preclude the existence of kids that do other things. Not all parents are negligent ;) Smash is intended to appeal to a wide audience. If there's tons of nudity and swearing then it would definitely appeal to a different market and exclude a lot of people who would otherwise play it.

Derekburn

Smash Apprentice
Isn't Pika already nude to begin with? If anything he should have some of those cosplays from OR/AS (although that would force a gender change, then again we already have that with the Miis, Wii Fit Trainers, Villagers and recently Robins).

Also 1 of my favorite Melee stages is back (right up there with Hyrule Temple (hopefully it's in the Wii U) and Corneria (which is all but replaced this time around).
no, pikachu is not, he wears a yellow coat over his naked pink skin
now we need:

:p
That costume looks gay, no man should wear a scarf, short shorts, and long boots while being bare chested.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I tell ya, some people on here have no sense of humor when it comes to some ways of complimenting a characters good looks.

salmonofdoubt

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4957-2628-7737
@ S salmonofdoubt , but Sakurai said a female designer made this costume for her in game.
I know, if you read the first paragraph in my post you will see that I say that even though a woman designed the costume, Sakurai was her boss. He asked her to create that outfit. She was just doing her job, and may very well have been disgusted by it.

Top Bottom