• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - August 19th

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Meh, as a woman I'm not really upset about this. It just upsets me how the "radical" feminists on Tumblr are taking this, giving feminism a bad name. :<

what I would like to see though are shirtless alts for Link, Captain Falcon and Ike. DAYUM. We kinda do have one for Little Mac if it counts too (his FS)...
A woman that actually has a common sense? Faith in humanity had been fully restored. :086:

Derekburn

Smash Apprentice
I know, if you read the first paragraph in my post you will see that I say that even though a woman designed the costume, Sakurai was her boss. He asked her to create that outfit. She was just doing her job, and may very well have been disgusted by it.
He said she was determined. The only other reason she would be determined was if he was threatening to fire her, and Sakurai is no a-hole so that couldn't have been the case.

@ infomon infomon : I don't care if its offensive Mr., Real men are either straight or asexual, they don't like other men

Last edited:

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
I know, if you read the first paragraph in my post you will see that I say that even though a woman designed the costume, Sakurai was her boss. He asked her to create that outfit. She was just doing her job, and may very well have been disgusted by it.
She was Zero Suit Samus' designer all along. She made the entirety of the model in the first place. She likely had a great deal of freedom when making it.
SHE IS FINE WITH IT. SETTLE DOWN.

I mean seriously it's not that big of a deal. All of the arguments I have have already been stated here and elsewhere, so it wouldn't do any good to re-state them. But also, you don't see the mens complaining about Ike's overly-muscley new design or the entirety of Captain Falcon.

I think many people just need to be less sensitive and enjoy the effort Sakurai is putting in to give us extra costumes. And too, Sakurai is saying that the designer decided to make the costumes, she very well could have said "Meh, I don't really think I want my character to be portrayed like this, I won't make them."
Eh I guess I did do a little stating of my own. Oh well.

That being said, neat alts, I like 'em

Dan

Smash Lord
WTF? This is Smash. I play it to kick ass, not to be tempted to go beat off.

Minty_

Smash Apprentice
The Captain Falcon is no homo, so why should he dress like one? The Captain is a real man!
1) Captain Falcon is a fictional character, and is incapable of thoughts, emotions or desires. He is not real. He doesn't "dress" in any way, rather his appearance is decided by his designers, as is his every other attribute.

2) Captain Falcon has never been given a sexual orientation by his designers, and so has none. As far as his existence is concened, sex and sexual/romantic attraction don't exist. He seems to really like racing space cars and punching things though.

3) Captain Falcon can't be dressed "like a [homo]". It is impossible to dress "like" any particular orientation, as there is nothing linking our appearance to what attracts us or how we identify our attractions. These are two entirety seperate things.

4) Being a "real man" has nothing to do with this.

5) Even if none of the above points are true, dressing in any particular way has no bearing on who a person is. Captain Falcon, were he a real person, could not become more or less manly depending on his clothing. Clothing is not a person, only a facade.

6) Captain Falcon doesn't give a **** what you think.

Last edited:

Derekburn

Smash Apprentice
Oh puh-lease. Get off your high horse. I just saw a real-life woman jog by in a similar outfit. Should all women be disgusted by that?

You're an idiot lol.
No, I'm actually not. What I said is true.

1) Captain Falcon is a fictional character, and is incapable of thoughts, emotions or desires. He is not real. He doesn't "dress" in any way, rather his appearance is decided by his designers, as is his every other attribute.

2) Captain Falcon has never been given a sexual orientation by his designers, and so has none. As far as his existence is concened, sex and sexual/romantic attraction don't exist. He seems to really like racing space cars and punching things though.

3) Captain Falcon can't be dressed "like a [homo]". It is impossible to dress "like" any particular orientation, as there is nothing linking our appearance to what attracts us or how we identify our attractions. These are two entirety seperate things.

4) Even if none of the above points are true, dressing in any particular way has no bearing on who a person is. Captain Falcon, were he a real person, could not become more or less manly depending on his clothing. Clothing is not a person, only a facade.

5) Captain Falcon doesn't give a **** what you think.
Go ahead and call Captain Falcon a homo, I wanna see how your face does after it gets FALCON PAWNCHED!

D

Deleted member

There are parts of the world where many men and women would be.

Not taking a position here, it's just interesting to think about.
And those are the same parts of the world that would probably ban all Nintendo games because they "teach witchcraft" or some BS.

People like that are not the target demographic.

Fireemblemfreak

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fireemblemfreak
3DS FC
3024-6545-1788
He said she was determined. The only other reason she would be determined was if he was threatening to fire her, and Sakurai is no a-hole so that couldn't have been the case.

@ infomon infomon : I don't care if its offensive Mr., Real men are either straight or asexual, they don't like other men
Wow, um, **** you. You're an asshole

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yeah, the guy who called the Captain Falcon edit "gay"? Totes put him on ignore. :rolleyes:

If you're reading this, you know who you are...just...stop man it's not cool

I mean the edit does look kind of flamboyant, but flamboyant =/= gay. Straight/bi flamboyant guys are a thing. And why does such a thing even matter...there's nothing wrong with liking the same sex.

Last edited:

Derekburn

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
*** hole. Nice try. You don't have to like homosexuality, but you just flat out disrespected so many people.
I don't care. Being a homo is a choice, people may not notice it but it IS psychological, sometimes you have to train yourself to like the right gender through mental exercises. But if a person just likes being gay then well they're asking for the consequences.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I don't care. Being a homo is a choice, people may not notice it but it IS psychological, sometimes you have to train yourself to like the right gender through mental exercises. But if a person just likes being gay then well they're asking for the consequences.
I'm usually a lot more calm but,
YOU ARE AN IGNORANT ASSHOLE, SO **** OFF
It's been proven that being gay is not a choice, you are clearly talking out of you're ass

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Yes, this outfit is canon. But it was a mistake back then and it's still a mistake now.

Samus is a fictional character who has no agency. Her appearance, persona, and actions are entirely determined by game designers. Most of those designers happen to be male, and they were likely taking advantage of the sex appeal inherent in skimpy costumes to engage a specific audience. Sure, Sakurai claims the person who made this particular costume was female, but Sakurai was still her boss and ultimately told her to design it. The original outfits from earlier Metroid games were drawn by (probably male) designers too.

They created a unique, strong bounty hunter character who also happened to be female in the original Metroid games. They used her gender to turn the genre on its head, as most gamers at the time were young males accustomed to playing as generic male soldiers. The twist ending of the game was there to show that it doesn't matter who is behind the suit, it doesn't change their value or abilities. Samus was depicted in a bikini because they were working with very few pixels on the NES and that was the only surefire way to say "this character is female."

Since Samus's gender was established, modern Metroid games have made the mistake of using improved graphics and sex appeal as a "reward" for beating a game, which entirely misses the point of the original's twist ending. Instead of using her gender to show that among space bounty hunters, gender probably doesn't matter that much, they focus on it as the primary aspect of her identity.

I have no problem with real women wearing clothes like that, but Samus was created and dressed by male designers. Real people can choose to wear a bikini to go jogging, or to just show off their bodies if they want to. Whatever personality traits we project onto Samus, she did not decide to leave the house one morning with the express purpose of showing off her midriff to metroids. At least the zero suit might protect her bare skin from hostile alien environments.

If you still don't think that Samus's character design is demeaning and sexist, think about how other characters in body armor are treated in video games. In the Halo universe, the mystery was always about what Master Chief's face looked like. The designers teased gamers by showing him remove his helmet for a split second at the end of Halo 4 if you beat the game on legendary, a reward reminiscent of Metroid. But instead of removing all of his armor at once and seductively moving the camera up his entire body, stopping to admire his chest and butt, it went straight to his face. In Metroid Prime 2, players were rewarded with Samus in the zero suit as the camera slowly moved up her body, only coming to her face at the very end for a few seconds.

There is a huge disconnect between how females and males in similar roles are depicted in video games across all genres, and if we can't even recognize sexism in its more egregious form, how are we ever going to expand our community to include more women?
You are frankly reading too much into it, the fact that she's attractive and sensual has been a defining trait of Samus from the very beggining, to show that a woman can still be gorgeous and kick ass at the same time, and in any case, she's not showing us her 'curves' here, she's kicking major ass...stop it, I support feminism, I support equal rights, and I don't think either men or women being sexualized demeans them as much as people think, which is why I'm also a huge supporter of swimsuit Marth/Lucina/Robin/Ike, biker outfit Rosalina/Peach, shirtless Snake, hell, even Spartan Falcon if the fanbase demands it.
"To like the right gender"
Right, because those people are wrong, get out please...also, please tell me someone reported this post for hateful commentary.

Last edited:

Derekburn

Smash Apprentice
I'm usually a lot more calm but,
YOU ARE AN IGNORANT *******, SO **** OFF
It's been proven that being gay is not a choice, you are clearly talking out of you're ***
What do you know, you are too young to understand life.

People here need to understand what the word hate means.

Last edited:

Fireemblemfreak

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fireemblemfreak
3DS FC
3024-6545-1788
Asking for the consequences? And why should I have to train myself to like girls? God made people that way. Yes, I used the God card. There is absolutely no proof that you can have against it. You're just ignorant. Please tell me, when did you choose to be straight?

Last edited:

Smashiny

Smash Journeyman
You're blowing this way out of proportion... It's just an outfit, I 've seen girls wear clothes like that to the gym, don't be so prude...

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
Let's all calm down and remain on topic. This is not the place to talk about the merits/demerits (opinion based for each side) of homosexuality. This is a place for discussing smash and more specifically this pic of the day. If you would like to talk about that I suggest trying somewhere else.

Thank you all for your understanding.

Derekburn

Smash Apprentice
Asking for the consequences? And why should I have to train myself to like girls? God made people that way. Yes, I used the God card. There is absolutely no proof that you can have against it. You're just ignorant.
I'm sorry for the way I wrote it, and no I'm not ignorant, I do not ignore your guys's side of this. I myself have some things that are in the works concerning my sexuality (a completely different and confusing subject compared to homosexuality), and I do know that anything can change. I'm not hating you, I am trying to understand!

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
Huh, well now where's Super Metriod Sexy Bikini alt costume, huh? Does this mean I also get Kimono Lucina? How about Peach and Rosilina in their ATV/Motorcyle Jump suits?

Too bad Chrom isn't playable... At least make a trophy for him in his sexy DLC shorts. >.>

I now DEMAND HALF NAKED IKE, LINK, C. FALCON AND WARIO! Because "full body" is sexy, too!:warioc:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Huh, well now where's Super Metriod Sexy Bikini alt costume, huh? Does this mean I also get Kimono Lucina? How about Peach and Rosilina in their ATV/Motorcyle Jump suits?

Too bad Chrom isn't playable... At least make a trophy for him in his sexy DLC shorts. >.>

I now DEMAND HALF NAKED IKE, LINK, C. FALCON AND WARIO! Because "full body" is sexy, too!:warioc:
I think the bikini is going too far although I wouldn't be opposed to them giving marth chroms shorts ;)

No wario though, please no

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

nooo not Wario :c

Let's all calm down and remain on topic. This is not the place to talk about the merits/demerits (opinion based for each side) of homosexuality. This is a place for discussing smash and more specifically this pic of the day. If you would like to talk about that I suggest trying somewhere else.

Thank you all for your understanding.
THANK YOU. :D

I accept everyone the way they are, why is it so hard for Derekburn??

Last edited:

Fireemblemfreak

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fireemblemfreak
3DS FC
3024-6545-1788
I'm sorry for the way I wrote it, and no I'm not ignorant, I do not ignore your guys's side of this. I myself have some things that are in the works concerning my sexuality (a completely different and confusing subject compared to homosexuality), and I do know that anything can change. I'm not hating you, I am trying to understand!
I don't want to change. I want to know when you chose to be straight. That's all I'm going to say though because I know this isn't what Smashboards is for.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
I don't understand the feminists saying 'now give us shirtless male characters'.... Um, these outfits are straight from the metroid series. This is a game about nintendos history. Shirtless captain falcon is NOT part of nintendos history.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
This raised my eyebrows more than Ike did. For two reasons. One, I just saw HD Samus in shorts. Two, how on Earth is this OK for children? I hate to be 'that guy', but come on, little kids are going to be playing this. At least bump up the rating to T.
Only whiny parents will complain about this. Smash has been rated T since Melee anyways, and the only "partial nudity" in that game were things like Peach's panties "accidentally" showing up or Captain Falcon's skin-tight suit showing his chocolate bar abs and bum-bum (the later applies to Snake in Brawl too).

Samus wearing short shorts? This isn't even a bikini. Girls dress like this at my gym, some even like wearing this during the summer. The point is, they LIKE to wear clothes like this (hopefully none are being forced to do so). Whether it's to go to a party, work out, or just because they like the way they feel, that varies between.

Honestly, if it gets raised to T, I think it will be more because of the "fighting" game part. Solving problems through violence (however cartoonish) always raises issues with the ESRB.
I don't understand the feminists saying 'now give us shirtless male characters'.... Um, these outfits are straight from the metroid series. This is a game about nintendos history. Shirtless captain falcon is NOT part of nintendos history.
Lool, since when does femenist = "I demand MALE chests!!!!" ? Maybe some of the demands are coming from femenists, but others could be from straight guys and girls trolling trollers in general, and female smashers or gay men who actually want to see them in lumber-jack positions.

I do agree though, these are actual costumes from the Metroid series, and the only other characters that would make sense to see them in beach clothes or something similar would be ones that already have been shown, like Robin and Lucina, from that Beach map DLC in FE: Awakening.

Last edited:

Derekburn

Smash Apprentice
I don't want to change. I want to know when you chose to be straight. That's all I'm going to say though because I know this isn't what Smashboards is for.
Your'e right and now I can see why its not the place for it, but yes, change is not always wanted. The desire to change is usually what makes the change happen. And for some, changing is not easy (mainly because of one part of the brain is telling the part that knows that change is for the better that change isn't necessary). A person can still be himself if he changed. Just follow what you know is correct, even if it involves changing. I KNOW that i know that it is hard to grasp what is the truth. I'm not trying to be ignorant I just want everyone to be on the right path, Its just hard to get past so many doubts that people are facing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom