• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - August 19th

PhantimGanon

Smash Rookie
NNID
PhantimGanon
I know, if you read the first paragraph in my post you will see that I say that even though a woman designed the costume, Sakurai was her boss. He asked her to create that outfit. She was just doing her job, and may very well have been disgusted by it.
So if we've decided to really dig into gender politics and ingrained patterns of thought and action then I think it's fitting for me to comment that your assumptions that Samus (being fictional) has no agency and the assumption that her designer (being a woman employed by a man?) has no agency are pretty different. I seems to me a little sexist that you assume Samus's lead designer was exclusively following orders against her will. Granted: Sakurai clearly tossed that tidbit into the post to cover his ass, but none of the rest of us had trouble accepting the implications that she fought for this design and worked hard for this design out of a personal desire to see it completed--probably due to some serious Metroid love. The fact that you chose to assume that either Sakurai was lying or that the implication was somehow that he was a task-master rather than a skeptic turns both Samus and her designer into victims. Why? Why assume the woman mentioned in this post was another damsel? Aren't we supposed to be resisting the damsel stereotype as a blanket assumption for women? Seems to reflect either a poor assessment of her agency or a narrow definition of feminism. Do you think that her goals and ideas must so closely align with your own that she'd be appalled by a skimpier costume despite its place in the canon? It seems sexist to think that its more likely this designer was being forced to slave away on this design rather than believe (as we have been led to) that she really wanted to get it in. It could have been empowering. It could have been a woman fighting for her vision for a strong female character's representation in light of her bosses skepticism. It could have been a determined designer purposefully appropriating a kick-ass woman's sexuality (if you choose to view the costume as overtly sexual) because while women are not limited to being sexual objects they certainly have a right to be as sexy as they want and should never have to choose between being admired/respected/feared and being feminine/sexual/comfortable. I think a true feminist and equalist would probably prefer to see it that way, right?

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
1) Captain Falcon is a fictional character, and is incapable of thoughts, emotions or desires. He is not real. He doesn't "dress" in any way, rather his appearance is decided by his designers, as is his every other attribute.

2) Captain Falcon has never been given a sexual orientation by his designers, and so has none. As far as his existence is concened, sex and sexual/romantic attraction don't exist. He seems to really like racing space cars and punching things though.

3) Captain Falcon can't be dressed "like a [homo]". It is impossible to dress "like" any particular orientation, as there is nothing linking our appearance to what attracts us or how we identify our attractions. These are two entirety seperate things.

4) Being a "real man" has nothing to do with this.

5) Even if none of the above points are true, dressing in any particular way has no bearing on who a person is. Captain Falcon, were he a real person, could not become more or less manly depending on his clothing. Clothing is not a person, only a facade.

6) Captain Falcon doesn't give a **** what you think.
Yes! His comment probably already offended alot of people. *sigh* What world do we live in, with what kind of people?

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Only whiny parents will complain about this. Smash has been rated T since Melee anyways, and the only "partial nudity" in that game were things like Peach's panties "accidentally" showing up or Captain Falcon's skin-tight suit showing his chocolate bar abs and bum-bum (the later applies to Snake in Brawl too).

Samus wearing short shorts? This isn't even a bikini. Girls dress like this at my gym, some even like wearing this during the summer. The point is, they LIKE to wear clothes like this (hopefully none are being forced to do so). Whether it's to go to a party, work out, or just because they like the way they feel, that varies between.

Honestly, if it gets raised to T, I think it will be more because of the "fighting" game part. Solving problems through violence (however cartoonish) always raises issues with the ESRB.

Lool, since when does femenist = "I demand MALE chests!!!!" ? Maybe some of the demands are coming from femenists, but others could be from straight guys and girls trolling trollers in general, and female smashers or gay men who actually want to see them in lumber-jack positions.

I do agree though, these are actual costumes from the Metroid series, and the only other characters that would make sense to see them in beach clothes or something similar would be ones that already have been shown, like Robin and Lucina, from that Beach map DLC in FE: Awakening.
I've been looking on tumblr, yeah not all are feminists, but I have seen multiple self-proclaimed feminists on tumblr straight up say they want to see men half naked so that it's fair, which is stupid.

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
So if we've decided to really dig into gender politics and ingrained patterns of thought and action then I think it's fitting for me to comment that your assumptions that Samus (being fictional) has no agency and the assumption that her designer (being a woman employed by a man?) has no agency are pretty different. I seems to me a little sexist that you assume Samus's lead designer was exclusively following orders against her will. Granted: Sakurai clearly tossed that tidbit into the post to cover his ***, but none of the rest of us had trouble accepting the implications that she fought for this design and worked hard for this design out of a personal desire to see it completed--probably due to some serious Metroid love. The fact that you chose to assume that either Sakurai was lying or that the implication was somehow that he was a task-master rather than a skeptic turns both Samus and her designer into victims. Why? Why assume the woman mentioned in this post was another damsel? Aren't we supposed to be resisting the damsel stereotype as a blanket assumption for women? Seems to reflect either a poor assessment of her agency or a narrow definition of feminism. Do you think that her goals and ideas must so closely align with your own that she'd be appalled by a skimpier costume despite its place in the canon? It seems sexist to think that its more likely this designer was being forced to slave away on this design rather than believe (as we have been led to) that she really wanted to get it in. It could have been empowering. It could have been a woman fighting for her vision for a strong female character's representation in light of her bosses skepticism. It could have been a determined designer purposefully appropriating a kick-*** woman's sexuality (if you choose to view the costume as overtly sexual) because while women are not limited to being sexual objects they certainly have a right to be as sexy as they want and should never have to choose between being admired/respected/feared and being feminine/sexual/comfortable. I think a true feminist and equalist would probably prefer to see it that way, right?
Woop woop lovin' this post!

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
As a cherry pie loving, kitty cat petting, camel toe manicuring, melon eating, bum tipping man... I FREAKING DEMAND SHIRTLESS WARIO, GANONDORF, AND DE DE DE!

...You know, for dem weird furry types. >.> It's only fair, right?

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
I honestly don't see how this is any different from characters like Mac and Falcon who have big rippling muscles and are wearing skin tight shirts :/

zanryo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zanryo
3DS FC
3711-8361-4706
'Kids Game'
It is rated T for a reason

Also, Im sure there are going to be red and green variants for these alt codtumes. Idk

Last edited:

itsameluigi1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
luigitime1290
I know, if you read the first paragraph in my post you will see that I say that even though a woman designed the costume, Sakurai was her boss. He asked her to create that outfit. She was just doing her job, and may very well have been disgusted by it.
IDK, he was the one who said it was impossible to get it done. That makes it seem like she took it upon herself to make it.

But hey, it's not my place to judge someone based on what offends them or not. I didn't mean to come off as rude.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I'm just being honest, does it not look like something he man would wear?
According to cultural stereotypes, you're right. Men don't usually wear clothes like those. But why should we conform to these cultural stereotypes in the first place? That's dangerous territory.

Honestly, people should be free to wear whatever they want without being insulted. I'm not asking you to like what Falcon wears. That's absurd, we're all entitled to enjoy and dislike whatever we choose. You're free to criticize it too. But not liking something doesn't give you entitlement to bash it with homophobic comments either: there's a fine line between criticism and hatred, and you shouldn't expect people to be ok with offensive comments like those. That's also absurd.

itsameluigi1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
luigitime1290
'Kids Game'
It is rated T for a reason

Also, Im sure there are going to be red and green variants for these alt codtumes. Idk
Well, the 3DS version is rated E10 actually. The Wii U version is probably the same, but you never know.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Hm? You mean you been expecting something like this the whole time?
Yeah, back during Brawl. When it was revealed Wario had an alt costume, I was sure Zero Suit Samus would too, but no, she didn't, and so I was disappointed. Of course, the reason is obvious, unless they were willing to give Samus more colors to go with Zamus' alt. Still, I'm glad they finally used this look.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I don't understand the feminists saying 'now give us shirtless male characters'.... Um, these outfits are straight from the metroid series. This is a game about nintendos history. Shirtless captain falcon is NOT part of nintendos history.
Although shirtless chrom and by extension marth is a thing from in Fire Emblem

Derekburn

Smash Apprentice
Well, after showing everyone how "homophobic" I am (not really), lets hope that the pic of the day tomorrow is another veteran, or even better, a newcomer! Even though I was surprisingly pleased with today's pic of the day.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Though I don't see what the big is about today's Pic of the Day. I means kids under the age of 10 aren't even allowed to play Smash Bros. anyways so all they're doing is wasting their breaths.

And there is a possibility that the Wii U version will have the same E10+ rating too, if not then T for Teen rating just like Melee and Brawl.

Uffe

Smash Hero
People please... why is this bad for kids?
Kids go to beaches too... I think that there's even more harmfull material than No-Suit-Samus. Stop being so hypocritical and prudish. Get real plz
I find it funny that some people will worry about kids playing a game with a woman in scantly clad, but when violence is the main theme of the game, it's not an issue.

Last edited:

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
Yeah, back during Brawl. When it was revealed Wario had an alt costume, I was sure Zero Suit Samus would too, but no, she didn't, and so I was disappointed. Of course, the reason is obvious, unless they were willing to give Samus more colors to go with Zamus' alt. Still, I'm glad they finally used this look.
That is true. There were not that many costumes in Brawl.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Sakurai: Its impossible! There's not enough time to do this!

Alfonzo: Leave it to me!

Screw the stupid Alfonzo meme! Also, why this thread suddenly turned into a sexuality and feminist debate? What the hell does Captain Falcon has to do with any of this?
I find it funny that some people will worry about kids playing a game with a woman in scantly clad, but when violence is the main theme of the game, it's not an issue.
Finally somebody with a clear mind! You made my day Uffe.

Derekburn

Smash Apprentice
I wasnt aware sexuality was the equivalent to gender, cmon kid grow up a bit
Who you calling kid 17? And there is a difference between being a man and being a male. That's where the phrase "real men something something something" comes into play

TopTierPichu

Smash Ace
Who you calling kid 17? And there is a difference between being a man and being a male. That's where the phrase "real men something something something" comes into play
there is no such thing as a "real man", It is a sexist thought meant to ridicule those people who dont exist in the false dichotomy you live in. I know gay people who are the very DEFINITION of masculinity but because of their sexuality you would automatically say they are less of a man than you and I, grow up kid, it may be evident that I am 17 b ut unlike you I chose to educate myself and liberate my self from ignorance perhaps you should do the same

Rasko

Smash Apprentice
Super Smash Bros. for WiiU & 3DS director Masahiro Sakurai said: "Pic of the day. Looking at the number of days we have left for development, it would be an impossible task to create this… That's what I told my staff. But thanks to the determination of her female designer, these Zero Suit outfits got completed in time. From the ending of Metroid: Zero Mission, here's Samus in shorts!"

He also included a second picture saying "Here's a look at the 3DS version. You can use the same outfit variations in both the 3DS and Wii U versions."

LOL, I guess some fan service in smash is necessary.

Derekburn

Smash Apprentice
there is no such thing as a "real man", It is a sexist thought meant to ridicule those people who dont exist in the false dichotomy you live in. I know gay people who are the very DEFINITION of masculinity but because of their sexuality you would automatically say they are less of a man than you and I, grow up kid, it may be evident that I am 17 b ut unlike you I chose to educate myself and liberate my self from ignorance perhaps you should do the same
Yes there is. . . . my definition of a real man is better than yours, deal with it. Do I have to bring up what my definition of a real woman is? I'm sure you won't agree with that either.

TopTierPichu

Smash Ace
Yes there is. . . . my definition of a real man is better than yours, deal with it. Do I have to bring up what my definition of a real woman is? I'm sure you won't agree with that either.
A definition is only a definition if it is correct, otherwise its ignorant text

Last edited:

Rasko

Smash Apprentice
A real man owns up to his mistakes, supports his family and puts them above himself, loyal too his wife/gf, can take care of himself, and is respectful to those around him.

Derekburn

Smash Apprentice
A definition is only a definition if it is correct, otherwise its ignorant text
No, actually my definition is the real definition of a real man. No one talks about this, that is why the definition isn't known very well.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
No, actually my definition is the real definition of a real man. No one talks about this, that is why the definition isn't known very well.
Definition of a man.
Man: A Male Adult
Definition of a woman.
Woman: A Female Adult

My definitions are best and factual.

Last edited:

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
I don't care. Being a homo is a choice, people may not notice it but it IS psychological, sometimes you have to train yourself to like the right gender through mental exercises. But if a person just likes being gay then well they're asking for the consequences.
This line of thinking is not only morbidly incorrect but incredibly off topic, incredibly offensive and 1000% inappropriate.

You now have 5 points. I advise you to tread carefully, and not talk about these things on this website anymore. Have a nice day.

Derekburn

Smash Apprentice
People are so frickin blind. GAY MEN ARE SISSIES!!! There I said it, oh, and captain falcon is NOT gay, I'm pretty sure that Nintendo is not for same-sex couples.

CrimsonYoshi

Smash Apprentice
can someone tell me what a doo doo eating grin is
ever been to a chick fil a and seen that picture with the boss or whatever eating food in every one

it looks like that

I can't find a link on a phone but just look it up

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
People are so frickin blind. GAY MEN ARE SISSIES!!! There I said it, oh, and captain falcon is NOT gay, I'm pretty sure that Nintendo is not for same-sex couples.
No, you must be blind. That is a stereotype..and a rather offensive one, might I add.
Capt. Falcon could be straight or gay, its irrelevant, he'd be awesome all the same.
Nintendo is also just fine with Homosexuals, they had a Lesbian in Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn.

Derekburn

Smash Apprentice
This line of thinking is not only morbidly incorrect but incredibly off topic, incredibly offensive and 1000% inappropriate.

You now have 5 points. I advise you to tread carefully, and not talk about these things on this website anymore. Have a nice day.
Guess what genius its 9:48 AT NIGHT!! I can't have a nice day anymore.

Top Bottom