• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - August 19th

Yakko93

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ohmy1985
Me and many other people's reactions to today's POTD

Also, this must be the "mild nudity" from the ratings a while back, and Conan got his "birthday suit Samus".

Last edited:

Xenado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Stevoman810
3DS FC
4699-7704-3965
But grills walk around
1363334328-harvey.gif
like this all the time..

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
The beach argument is a really bad one (in most cases, mind you, not all) for several reasons, but honestly this isn't a bikini or anything, so people shouldn't be getting too worked up over it.
No, actually it is the perfect one. Tell me what the problem is with zero suit samus wearing this short outfit while people on beaches also wear bikini's, even topless etc. How can Samus be harmfull for kids while there's even more nude in reallife where kids are also seen?

this is just so ignorant...

Last edited:

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Wow. Melee brinstar confirmed.

Also DAMN!!! Didn't expect this coming. Sakurai, you brave, brave man.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Amazing how the argument here is: "stupid feminists have nothing to be mad about, these are just girls in their beach clothes"

And simultaneously there are thousands of comments about how sexy these costumes are.

You can't have it both ways. Either they're just an attractive character model (fine), or it's overtly sexual. Where that line is drawn is culturally-sensitive, so different people will respond differently to the same image. It seems like this is borderline for a lot of people here. But you can't make aggressively sexual comments about these pics and simultaneously say "but women shouldn't feel threatened!"

I'd love to hear what some female smashers think. Does this bother you? Do these outfits, or the comments here, make you uncomfortable or less likely to want to play smash? I hope not; I want smash to be enjoyed by everyone.

Last edited:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Three things about the POTD:
1. Both 3DS and WiiU pic, sweet!
2. What's that stage in the 3DS pic? 3. Well, ZSS has more fanservice looks. :laugh:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Hey, imagine if Peach, Broken Knight 2.0 OH! SORRY! Palutena, Rosalina, Zelda, Lucina, F-Trainer and F-Robin had an alternate costume like Zero Suit Samus? People would go ape****.

Pokefan203

Smash Apprentice
HOW COULD THEY DO THIS?! GUNS IN A 10+ GAME?! SAKURAI!

Though seriously, really happy brinstar's back, and it's a good model.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I like how this already has almost as many comments as the Meta Knight reveal.

Ero-Suit Samus is more important than the most controversial character in Brawl.

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
I think these designs compliment the jet boots much better when compared to her default outfit, probably because they're attached to actual boots. Really hoping we can see more veteran alts soon, especially if we could get the Hyrule Warriors designs for the Zelda characters :D

Last edited:

Primeval Weasil

Smash Rookie
I actually haven't seen anyone dumping on Women yet, just the Faux-Feminists that most people sadly now associate Feminism with..since those Social Justice Warriors that claim to be Feminists but don't understand anything about the movement and pretty much yell about anything they personally don't agree with for whatever reason...Gosh, they tick me off since if I say I'm a Feminist, which I am, then I get lumped in with them..so I usually have to use a different term and call myself an 'Equalist', since thats truly what Feminism is about.
I agree, this really is only going to upset those people who just get offended by anything being 'sexy' or even possibly seen as sexy for whatever reason..and thus they can essentially be ignored.

As for me, I was really, really hoping for that lovely orange Zero Mission outfit and I'm glad they even snuck in the Fusion outfit, since its more then just a palette swap since its even lacking the triangle cut the ZM one has <3

I don't know about more 'adult', since really this stuff hasn't really ever been a hot button issue in Japan. They honestly care more about violence then showing skin..just look at some characters shown in Kids' Anime & Games there.

I'm hoping for the Mario Kart jumpsuit for Rosalina, but I really want Princess Daisy with a name/voice swap for Princess Peach to kind of-sort of add in another character..more or less.

I can't help but feel that most if not all of the characters in Smash Bros. may get alts (except for maybe some Pokemon and Kirby for obvious reasons)

Technically its also from Zero Mission like Sakurai stated, the orange outfit with the triangle cut on the top is from Zero Mission while the Blue Outfit is from Fusion. Kind of makes me think that the ZM one is the 'main' alt though (as in first in the line up) since Sakurai pointed that game out in particular.

Not really, but kind of. The Super Metroid version had the same style of top, yes, but she was wearing 'bikini bottoms' or a 'thong' like bottom...however, I do bet that there will be a black colour to reference the Super Metroid look.
Equalist?

Pabu disapproves.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Amazing how the argument here is: "stupid feminists have nothing to be mad about, these are just girls in their beach clothes"

And simultaneously there are thousands of comments about how sexy these costumes are.

You can't have it both ways.

I'd love to hear what some female smashers think. Does this bother you? Do these outfits, or the comments here, make you uncomfortable or less likely to want to play smash?
I don't see how anyone could be mad if they understand who and why Samus was made to be female.

Firstly, according to Sakurai in this PotD, it was a female designer who created her short shorts costume. So I'm assuming that she too understands Samus's effect on videogame culture when her first game was released.

Secondly, Samus was made to be a girl rather than a guy to break the cultural stigma of having a male hero in action media. She was made to seem like a male character inside the suit, and then at the end revealed herself to be a girl. This wasn't just as a surprise factor in the end, but also as a realization that she is female and she's still capable of blowing up an entire planet full of war-thirsty aliens.

So ignoring Other M (an overall disgrace to the series), the whole idea with Samus is that she's capable of being a badass without the need of being male, which was the idea in the 80's when her first game was released. She can still be sexy and destroy entire planets full of aliens. To me, she's still one of the best female characters out there in media. It's not about what she wears: it's about what she does without ignoring her gender, but not necessarily conforming to cultural stereotypes either. She's not the damsel in distress, but neither is she the male action hero: she's her own woman, a hero who is herself and no one else's.

I recommend reading the Ghost in a Shell manga series, if you want to see more of what I'm talking about.

EDIT: lol, you edited your post and I didn't quote what you added. But regarding those aggressive comments, I agree with what you said 100% on that: you can't just make aggressively sexual comments and expect people to ignore them. It's ok to find someone sexy, but it's another to get all rapey.

Last edited:

Raph_the_Great

Smash Apprentice
Was not expecting this to make it in. It looks really great though. From the WiiU image, I couldn't see the zipper, but I'm glad it's clear as day in the 3DS version.

Here's hoping poor Pikachu will finally have more than 4 costumes. :D

Also, are all of the returning stages, ones that appeared in Brawl? Hopefully at least 1 Smash 64 stage makes it in. The Yoshi's Island 64 stage in HD? That would be Magical. :)

Shog

Smash Ace
omg I had a grin, so much nostalgia for this...YES THAT'S SO AWESOME HOORAY

Last edited by a moderator:

laces

Smash Cadet
She's not showing enough skin.

Really happy about this, and not just because of boobies. Smash needs a little bit of a mature twist, if only to get the people who say "smash is for kiddies" off our back.

infomon

Smash Scientist
It's not about what she wears: it's about what she does without ignoring her gender, but not necessarily conforming to cultural stereotypes either.
Yes, I acknowledge and agree with your post. And actually the comments here have been more about bashing "feminism" than anything. We already have so few female smashers (at least competitively), it would be nice if the game (and its fanbase) doesn't intrinsically make them feel uncomfortable.

It's not that the character is attractive -- the danger is in how men might respond to it, talk about it in ways that make women uncomfortable. Let's keep our communities clean and welcoming to anyone that wants to play.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Smash needs a little bit of a mature twist, if only to get the people who say "smash is for kiddies" off our back.
Why does that bother you? You are playing a video game with Kirby, Yoshi, Princess Peach. Having "adult-looking" Samus honestly makes the game seem less mature than otherwise.

I'm 31 and work on wall st., and I play smash competitively. Its image has never bothered me. But I wouldn't want people to think I'm playing "Dead-or-Alive Beach Volleyball" over here; that would be hard to explain ;)

laces

Smash Cadet
Why does that bother you? You are playing a video game with Kirby, Yoshi, Princess Peach. Having "adult-looking" Samus honestly makes the game seem less mature than otherwise.

I'm 31 and work on wall st., and I play smash competitively. Its image has never bothered me. But I wouldn't want people to think I'm playing "Dead-or-Alive Beach Volleyball" over here; that would be hard to explain ;)
It's just an added bonus really. If I cared about looking masculine I wouldn't be maining jigglypuff on my pink 3ds.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
To be honest, I'm not so much concerned about the costume itself (I'm usually opposed to blatant fanservice, but this is preetty tame). I'm more concerned about the creepy way in which some people are reacting to it; it comes across as sort of... predatory. The manner in which people react to any sort of skin-showing is very immature.

As a side note, I think a lot of people don't really understand what feminism is. We really need to stop judging things by their extremes.

Last edited:

HONY

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-1450-7268
You work on WALLSTREET and play competitively?! I hope you're telling the truth. That is a unique breed of person.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
"Oh no guys are expressing knee-jerk arousal of fictional skin in a controlled environment! Oh the humanity!"

Tumblr pls go

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
"Fanservice" yeah whatever
I know it's the internet, complaining about everything is a trend and all but seriously people who claim this is fanservice is childish. I honestly don't see the problem at all neither I understand why people should care about it. It's just a canon and different outfit for another great nintendo character.

God I hate that word so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom