• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~ Smash@UWaterloo : A New Era ~

Summonedfist

Smash Lord
Double post to talk on Peter's behalf from what I know since I spoke with him recently lol:

He is CURRENTLY planning on driving Brian (from waterloo) and himself to LBT2. He is bringing HIS (oversized) TV as well as Brian's (oversized) TV. These TVs APPARENTLY will take up the back row of 3 seats, and leave like half a space left for barely one poor soul willing to get squished/hold a TV. He has apparently done this before to some tourney, and that's how the seating plan worked out? I don't really know it's what he told me lol.

HOWEVER, he also said that he might NOT be driving Brian if Brian doesn't find a way TO peter's house, cuz Peter doesn't want to go to waterloo then LBT2 apparently... SO, if he DOESN'T drive Brian, then that leaves HIS seat AND HIS TV's seat open. And that would actually probalby open up 3 seats if he just shoved the TV in the front. This is if Brian doesn't want to pay Peter to pick him up, of course.

SOOOOOOO, even though he'll never confirm if he's driving brian or not lol, there are potentiall 3 seats avaiable... ANDDD I'd honestly personally be more than willing to have a TV on my lap haha, but I know for a fact his IS oversized XD

Soooo... yo uguys can discuss off of this I guess, it's all I know about peter.. and he's working full time til Friday night I believe so his chances of going on the boards is pretty slim =PP

Lalalala sorry for double post lol

Vauss

Smash Cadet
Is anybody showing up tonight? I have a TV, but no console

Walrace

Smash Rookie
Honestly, at this point I'm fairly desparate for a ride. I would quite willingly ride up with a T.V. on my lap... (and one occupying my foot space too)
I just don't want to take the lame-o boring bus!

"Please sir... Don't doom me to the fate and confusion of the Greyhound Bus system..." - Gandalf the Grey.

Listen to Gandalf?

Summonedfist

Smash Lord
kk if we are gonna try to work out more space for guelph, then we should consider one for Walrace and Jacky...

Both have good reasons to go imo:
-Jacky: needs more exposure to tourney and is probably good enough to rank in the brackets so i'd like him to get a chance to get at it lol
-Walrace: needs some more practise from new ppl/more exposure to tournament environments

It just feels sorta selfish to ask for 4 seats lol...

Walrace can you absolutely not drive?

Vauss

Smash Cadet
Well, since nobody's offered a console to go along with my TV, I won't be showing up

Leek

Smash Cadet
I'm also in need for a ride. If there's not enough for me, I'll just take greyhound :p

What's the availability for the rides?

infomon

Smash Scientist
Who's Jacky and why are there 4 ppl in guelph needing rides???

lulz

I have down: summonedfist + one friend (is that this "Jacky" or is it someone else?) for rides. Now we have Walrace (guelph) and Leek (?) wanting rides too. Additionally, ShiFu and Hype posted earlier about wanting rides, but then disappeared, so they're out of consideration for now I guess?

and wait who/where is the Brian that Peter is picking up?

Here are our options:
1. Peter doesn't show up
This means I'm taking annsy, picking up summonedfist + 1 in Guelph, then +1 in Brampton.

2. Peter's driving but no Brian
Then if he's not a chump he'll drive out to Guelph and pick up 2 or 3 ppl there. And if there are still any extra Guelph kids, I'll also go to Guelph and get them.

3. Peter's driving with 2 giant TV's, one of which belongs to Brian.
This situation does not happen, here's why. Peter doesn't want to go to Waterloo. So instead I'll take Brian and shove his ridiculously large TV in my trunk, and if it doesn't fit there, then it will fit in the back seat of a car from Chatham; two guys who are crashing at my place Friday and then going on to LBT2. And if Brian's TV is SO BIG that it doesn't fit in either of those options then it's too big to come, and we give up on that TV.

So if Brian's coming, then I'll take Brian + Annsy + two(!) from Brampton, while Peter goes all the way to Guelph to pick up kids there.

If Peter doesn't want to go to Guelph, and doesn't want to take Brian, then Brian can still prolly get a ride with those Chatham kids and we're all good still. Heck, if there's enough room then annsy could go with chatham too and I'll have 4 spots for Guelph, but then I'd be kinda sadface :(

Edit: I need EVERYONE who wants rides, to be online sometime Friday night to arrange stuff. That's when I'll have my car and we can see how much space it has. In particular, if it's got three seats at the front, then we're awesome.

Leek

Smash Cadet
The thing is that I'll be in waterloo and I was thinking I could go to Cambridge, specifically at the Cambridge smartcentre. The earliest GO Transit drops me off there at 7:20. That's the closest I can get to peter... and he's driving that way to get to guelph/brampton/etc.. so I thought I might as well be picked up there. I added him on msn and waitin to get in contact with him. If this gets way to complicated, I'll find a way to Toronto myself.

I am therefore expendable :p

Summonedfist

Smash Lord
Just to put in a quick note,

Peter wouldn't NOT want to come to Guelph cuz there'd be 4 ppl to split for gas.

And fyi Infzy you're picking:
-me up and a friend named Newton (F=ma) on the boards.

Looking for space are:
-Jacky: is Guelph's 2nd best melee player. He plays me at like every week, with more than enough potential to make it out of brackets excpet I just realised BC is showing up apparently :O So BC + Quebec + GTA = raaaaaaaape
-Walrace: is another melee player who's looking for some blood lol aka more tourney experience.

Edit:
I'm also in need for a ride. If there's not enough for me, I'll just take greyhound :p

What's the availability for the rides?
Aiyaaaa, I thought you were long registered and planned to go or had a method of getting there planned XD

Hmm, cuz if EVERYONE is to fit, and Infzy can take Brian and his tv if he goes, then Guelphies will all hvae to fit with Peter.

Also, if Peter doesn't take Brian then he still has his oversized TV and he'll only be able to fit 3

Leek

Smash Cadet
Alright I'll just find my own way there. I think this is easy way for all. Sorry for making you all waste your energy and thinking power D=

Walrace

Smash Rookie
Ok! That all sounds logical.
Thanks Jack for making this confusionfest a little more clear.
Infzy, I shall be online on the fridays!

Flan

Smash Journeyman
I'm trying to get ahold of Brian so that he can let us know about his situation.

and yeah, I'd drive done and smash with you plenty Jack if I could actually drive on my own >_< Maybe in 2-3 more months!

Flan

Smash Journeyman
Nice Leek, I'm root for you and Jack at this tournament!

Also, as far as Brian goes, he is a lost cause. His parents found out that he was sneaking out at 1 in the morning every single night to go out and get high and play magic with friends. He didn't return home last night and his mom is ready to flip out on him. I don't know when the next time we gets on a computer will be. Don't count on his side coming out at all.

As for Peter, he is rarely on his computer at all. If I catch him online, I'll point him in the direction of this thread.

Dam, Peter and Brian used to embody the heart of the Melee community in K-W-C. Josh played a big role too in getting these started up. Omni was always coming out to tournaments as well. Looks like Clarence, Jeremy, Talking Chicken, Eric, How2 and I are the only Melee guys left that consistently come out. (Leek, you are TO now so I'm exluding you).

Acidile, I still have yet to play you but I want to. Maybe in two weeks when I can make it out again!

Jack, you and me gotta raise a whole new community of ****ing amazing players now at these casuals!!!!!!!!!!

COME ON WATERLOO, DON'T DIE OUT YET! WE GOTTA ALOT OF TALENT HERE AND I DON'T WANT TO SEE IT WASTED!

And Infzy, you still **** with Sonic xD Keep those Brawl players coming.

Final Note, I can't make it next week unless we move it to Wednesday. I'm in Toronto for DECA again.

Quenk

Smash Apprentice
I'm in Waterloo for the spring term (May-August) so I'll be able to make it to stuff.

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
Don't know how much this'll help, but here's my advice, as one of Victoria's community builders:

It doesn't matter how many people can make it. As long as there's a setup and at least two people to play, smash is smash. Victoria's main smash community at the start (save for a few good players that didn't find us until later) was five people, three of them had to drive half an hour to get to where we were playing, and we all sucked (compared to now). Though it helped that at the time, we didn't care that our only screens were an HDTV and a classroom projector (laaaag :p). I've definitely had nights where there were only two or three of us and we were smashing the night away (as in oh hai 5am). And I'll make things easier for you. If someone brings a setup, I can guarantee you that there will be at least two players playing that night, as I'll probably be there every week. Would you rather have that than no smash at all?

That being said, we need to arrange a day somewhere where a bunch of the KWC community can make it. If it has to be on a Friday night or a weekend, so be it. Just SOMETHING, anything, to help revitalize the community. Weekdays don't seem to be something that works for people anymore. Maybe we can try a Saturday somewhere or something?

We have at least one person in Victoria dedicated to driving TVs down. I know it's probably impractical for most people, and I know a bunch of people don't have cars/licenses, but if someone can do that, it's a HUGE boost to the community, and it's one of the reasons we've been able to keep this up for so long. I'd do it myself, both here and in Victoria, if I had a vehicle around, but alas, money can be a fickle thing.

If you are able to transport TVs, but don't have one, the classifieds I see at work usually post up some pretty good deals for some decent sized CRTs (like, under $50). Let me know if you want one and I can try to hook you up.

The biggest community booster we had was when we became a university club and we started advertising, going from this small thing of about 6 or 7 guys, mostly on and off, to at least 10 regulars. I know there's UWGamers, but maybe there's some way you can work with them to try and get something going for you guys.

Another thing I found useful (though you may not necessarily) is most of Victoria's web communication isn't through the boards here; we actually have our own facebook group that we use for this stuff, with people going on smashboards occasionally for tournaments and stuff like that. It's been pretty successful; we were for the longest time, one of the most active groups on Facebook with under 100 members (I think the post count was over 3000 before Facebook's group system changed), and it's more organized than the boards since you can just comment on people's posts and the conversations can be grouped. Now, I'm not saying abandon this thread (though we definitely abandoned Victoria's :p), we just found it a good way to communicate.

Anyway, that's all I can think of. Hopefully this helps, but we'll see.

tl;dr version: We need some dedicated people here. Not just people that come to play every week, we need people that are willing to help lead those people, whether it's by bringing TVs or organizing events and stuff. I'll do what I can to help, but it's hard when I'm only here for a short time and I don't have much in the way of having stuff to bring or being able to organize venues and stuff (I miss being able to book rooms for club stuff :p). I'll try hosting something at my place someday if my roommates agree.

Summonedfist

Smash Lord
I'll try but it's never easy sneaking out to 'loo esp if it's a day where I have to work around vehicles in the family for 4 ppl who work...

It's just easier if my parents work so they don' thave to know I'm out at all. I'm trying my best to raise some more talent in Guelph alone lol, it's going!

But yeah... so Brian can't make this tourney? I'll have to see how Peter's doing then =\

I just think ppl should try to practise on their own to build up some tech skill, then use these meets to practise human experience/human practise.

Edit:

And flan I don't know how well I can do at this tourney XD GTA + quebec + BC = griiiiiiiiiiiiim LOL

plus I suck =(

infomon

Smash Scientist
Quenk: yo I'm still picking you up in Brampton right?
(if not it leaves more room for Guelphers.... unless Peter's willing to go get them instead!)

Acidile

Smash Journeyman
like, obviously someone needs to do something to start these up again, and once again I'll say that I have a setup 10seconds away if someone can drive (I don't really have a reliable car anymore). It will be available most weeks.

No matter what day we plan this on, some people won't be able to make it, sucks to be them. You have a pretty much guaranteed setup from me Monday and Thursday, and possibly one of Tuesday/Wednesday (I don't know how my class schedule is working out yet.).

Also I'm not taking any initiative because I'm unreliable and lazy

Also REBEL CHILDREN sneaking out to PLAY MAGIC, lol

Also I'm owning recently.

Also someone make a fbook group.

Also if I declare this Monday as smash will people get all pissed?

Also Mr. Victoria community builder, just build another community for us because we're all indecisive. (Except for everyone who's on co-op hi Josh)

Also I'm so pro at sandbagging I even do it in tourny matches sup London

Also you guys better play more spacies because nobody plays spacies anymore and I like killing them

Quenk

Smash Apprentice
Quenk: yo I'm still picking you up in Brampton right?
(if not it leaves more room for Guelphers.... unless Peter's willing to go get them instead!)
Yes, please. I don't mind having a tv on my lap once I can throw my bag into the trunk or something.

X- Sylar -X

Smash Journeyman
ya u will whats up guys sorry i haven't had a lot of free time on the boards flan if u ever see brian tell him the next time we chill we are going to smoke a fat purple kush session and play some ssbm and magic.

Other than that i plan on going to lbt 2 and will come out to any event i can make it out to..... i have an easier time with mondays now even though i have to be in cambridge for 10 i could come down form like 530 until then

any questions for sylar just shout me on here if im not msn i'll come on and read it often enough

Flan

Smash Journeyman
@Peter: Brian failz these days but I let me know. Mondays are fine with me as well with the except of this Monday.

@Talking Chicken and Acidile: Look up K-W Smashers. I started that website just about 3 years ago but all of a sudden Josh decided to not worry about the UWaterloo Smashfests there and told me everyone to start posting here to that GTA wouldn't think we were dead. Honestly, I liked the website since it made things nice and local.

infomon

Smash Scientist
^^ that depends.

Sylar: are you willing to go pick up a carload of Guelph kiddies!?!? :bee:

If not then my car is:
annsy
summonedfist
summonedfist's friend
Walrace
+ squeeeeeze in Quenk once we get to brampton (kinda sketch, I'd prefer not to do this)

Walrace would be the one shafted if I ppl aren't comfy squeezing into my back seat :(

OR we could leave reeeally early, so that I can go back to Brampton (and maybe mississauga for another guy lol) after droppin y'all off at LBT2 at like 8:30. but that's kind of insane.

alternatively, annsy could possibly ride with another LBT2 car crashing at my place tonight, though that'd be sad, or alternatively if Sylar wants to pick her up from north wloo but you might as well go get guelph in that case

Walrace, please PM me your exact pickup location so I know how outta the way you might be ;)

annsy

Smash Cadet
@ infzy and Sylar...

if it's better for me to be in Sylar's car, I could be somewhere easier to pickup like Fairview mall terminal (I'd be travelling by bus) since where I am is rediculously far and convoluted to get to.

I'd get to Cambridge but ixpress doesn't start til later >< *sigh*

infomon

Smash Scientist
ok who da heck is Jacky and did he post (or get posted for) before or after Walrace?

oops :S

Peter: plz plz pick up guelp!!!

Edit: SYLAR PLZ ANSSWER USSSSSS RAwwwwwRRRRrrrrr

Edit 2: ok y'know if there's 4 kids in guelph (summonedfist + friend + Walrace + Jacky) then y'know I'ma just do a whole run of annsy + guelph and then go get Quenk from brampton afterwards. srsly we got dissssssss

it'll just be early morning for us :)

Summonedfist

Smash Lord
Yeah disregard Jacky... too little of notice for him to go anymore I guess.

He doesn't post on the boards, I asked for him, but it's all good. I guess it's 3 from Guelph then.

Top Bottom