• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Smash Ultimate Q&A thread

Lord_Ghirahim

Smash Cadet
So obviously no one knows for sure but you can guess it's around the top 10% for your chosen character based on some of the numbers flying around online.

ZeldaPlayer87

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone know if Ditto and Moon AT can spawn on 8-Player? I have yet to see either in this mode...actually I have yet to see Ditto anywhere no matter which mode/smash I'm doing. Are they just rare spawns?

EDIT: Moon can appear in 8-Player smash, and got Ditto to spawn on 6-Player and 7-Player Smash. Jury still out on 8-Player though.

Last edited:

Dark Dire Wolf

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for the nooby question. I have seen the stage Kalos Pokemon League be used in tournaments without any of the hazards appearing. Whenever I choose the same stage on my system I get the usual hazards like the legendary Pokemon. What am I doing wrong?

Edit: Nevermind, found out there is now a stage hazards option. Sorry!

Last edited:

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
I have my own question, and it's pretty important to me. So I have almost all of the music. People online say there are 876 tracks, and I have 875. The shop stopped selling me music, I have only one challenge left on the board which is for 200 quickplay matches which I suspect is not a piece of music (but maybe I'm wrong!), and I 100%'d World of Light so I'm baffled what I don't have. I can't find a list online of all of the music that goes in the same order as the sound test so I can double check manually. I'll list my count by series; could someone who has it all tell me which series I'm missing one from for a starting point?

Smash: 113
Mario: 91
Mario Kart: 15
DK: 27
Zelda: 45
Metroid: 25
Yoshi: 14
Kirby: 38
Star Fox: 18
Pokemon: 33
F-Zero: 26
EarthBound: 14
Fire Emblem: 41
G&W: 2
Kid Icarus: 13
Wario: 11
Pikmin: 14
Animal Crossing: 21
Wii Fit: 10
Punch-Out!!: 5
Xenoblade: 11
Splatoon: 26
Metal Gear: 11
Sonic: 20
Mega Man: 31
PAC-MAN: 11
Street Fighter: 38
Final Fantasy: 2
Bayonetta: 11
Castlevania: 34
Other: 104

I really want to have all of the music before going in and setting My Music in detail. I'd really like to get that done soon., but I can't until I figure out what I'm missing and then hunt down where I missed it.
I'd really like to know about how to get hard-to-find music too. I have 872 total tracks myself, so I'm getting pretty close too.

UPDATE! I have 876 now! The last one I didn't have was actually a treasure chest I missed in World of Light. It's actually annoying because 100% completion does not mean you got all the treasure chests, apparently.

This handy website, http://lightgungalaxy.com/2018/12/1...f-light-guide-every-chest-in-the-light-realm/ , shows where all the chests are, and the one I missed was the DK song "Jungle Level Tribal Style."

This brings my DK songs to 28 songs, so that must be the one you're missing Amazing Ampharos Amazing Ampharos .

Last edited:

TheAnomaly

Smash Cadet
Does anyone know if it's possible to trigger a specific win screen after winning in Vs mode? It used to be possible in previous games but I can';t seem to find anything online about it in this one and haven't got easy access to the game to test myself.

Edit: ok, It turns out you have the hold up, left or right on the dpad(down is random) before the "Game" screen appears up until the win animation plays to get the corresponding win animation.

Last edited:

xrich300x

Smash Rookie
If I hookup my switch to my computer monitor using a HDMI -> DVI Adapter, how bad is the input lag

mir

Smash Rookie
If I hookup my switch to my computer monitor using a HDMI -> DVI Adapter, how bad is the input lag
This would depend on the monitor that you are using. https://displaylag.com/display-database/ You can look for your monitor in here. I don't think the adapter would add any input lag, so as long as the input lag on your monitor isn't bad it should be fine.

A question I had: what's the consensus on competitive doubles rules? I'm trying to figure out a ruleset to practice with friends. I have some ideas about stage choice but I haven't been able to find a good list for doubles anywhere online for events that have happened so far.

GP2

Smash Apprentice
Hey I have a competitive question. I saw that Genesis 6 released their ruleset for ultimate yesterday/ Is there a thread where they go over their reasoning for allowing/not allowing certain stages?

EGsmash

Smash Apprentice
Question about footstools:

Are aerial footstools now impossible if the opponent is in hitstun? I've been trying to practice old footstool combos, but they only seem to work if the opponent is in an actionable state.

Lodestar65

Smash Apprentice
I was on Smash Wiki earlier, and it said that Joker has a wall jump and neutral attack infinite. Where did they get this information?

EDIT: Never mind, I saw the datamine.

Last edited:

MrSour

Smash Rookie
OK I have a few questions for some people with experience. Here goes:

1. I prefer the Pro Controller to the GameCube controller. Will using it introduce any latency, and does a wired connection also transmit data as well as power? If it is ineffective, what is the fastest control setup?

2. It may just be placebo, but it seems my super old HD TV from like 2009 introduces significant lag. I have a gaming monitor, but it only takes the weird cable that looks like a deformed HDMI. Can I get an adapter that translates the HDMI to the weird cable? Also, just in case I get tired of constantly switching between my switch and PC to the monitor, can anybody recommend a fast, cheap HD TV? (720p is perfectly fine).

3. I have good access to tools and materials. I want to modify the controller to not require pushing down so far on the buttons, to further increase my in-game reactions. Can a Smash 4 vet inform me on what’s likely to remain legal throughout the game’s life, based on how it was in the last game? I would prefer a modded controller, but I definitely don’t want to have to switch between 2 to accommodate different rulesets. I don’t want to take any chances with that.

Ok, thanks in advance. Maybe once I get this worked out I can be the next ZeRo or something.

Smatty

Smash Rookie
I'm looking for a thread that's basically a "Beginner's Guide to Competitive Smash". Does anything like that exist?

Looking for info about wavedashing, parrying, etc etc.

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
OK I have a few questions for some people with experience. Here goes:

1. I prefer the Pro Controller to the GameCube controller. Will using it introduce any latency, and does a wired connection also transmit data as well as power? If it is ineffective, what is the fastest control setup?

2. It may just be placebo, but it seems my super old HD TV from like 2009 introduces significant lag. I have a gaming monitor, but it only takes the weird cable that looks like a deformed HDMI. Can I get an adapter that translates the HDMI to the weird cable? Also, just in case I get tired of constantly switching between my switch and PC to the monitor, can anybody recommend a fast, cheap HD TV? (720p is perfectly fine).

3. I have good access to tools and materials. I want to modify the controller to not require pushing down so far on the buttons, to further increase my in-game reactions. Can a Smash 4 vet inform me on what’s likely to remain legal throughout the game’s life, based on how it was in the last game? I would prefer a modded controller, but I definitely don’t want to have to switch between 2 to accommodate different rulesets. I don’t want to take any chances with that.

Ok, thanks in advance. Maybe once I get this worked out I can be the next ZeRo or something.
1) Testing has found that wireless is actually faster than wired controllers by about a frame or two.

2) It's definitely not just you. When I still lived with my parents there was a CRT in my bedroom and an LCD out in the living room. On the occasions I could hook my Wii up to the big TV and play Melee or Brawl, there was very noticeable lag that screwed up all the reflexed I'd trained on the CRT. I didn't even know the term "input delay" at the time, but I still knew something was different. More modern TVs will have menu options that let you turn off all their image processing crap. Many will have an explicit "Game mode" that will automatically turn all those off for you. My stupid RCA TV doesn't, so I had to experiment to figure out all the crap I had to turn off.

The "deformed HDMI" is probably DisplayPort. DisplayPort has only one side angled instead of both. You can get converters, but I don't know how much lag they'll introduce. I don't know if there are any passive ones or just active.

3) Can't help you with this one.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
What are some good ways to overcome "slow fingers"? My inability to input the proper option quickly enough is really holding me back in matches, especially since I want to main Mewtwo in this game.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
What are some good ways to overcome "slow fingers"? My inability to input the proper option quickly enough is really holding me back in matches, especially since I want to main Mewtwo in this game.
I have the same problem. Motor control difficulty and delayed information processing isn't much fun when trying to play a fast-paced game like Smash.

NuI

Smash Rookie
I am at 2,996,820 GSP, my main is Zelda. Played a few games to get Elite Smash, I don't know exactly what the numbers for getting in are either.

Edit: Just made it to 3mil GSP

Last edited:

DraastiK

Smash Rookie
NNID
DraastiK
I am at 2,996,820 GSP, my main is Zelda. Played a few games to get Elite Smash, I don't know exactly what the numbers for getting in are either.

Edit: Just made it to 3mil GSP
Random question, is GSP Nintendo's version of "elo"?

Serebii

Serebii Owner
NNID
SerebiiJoe
Is it normal to lose 2 stock in the Balloon Fight level when dragged down by the fish? Just cost me the game in a 3 stock match when I had 2 stock left and that surprised me.

I've always felt that I die too quickly on that stage but never looked into it

NuI

Smash Rookie
Random question, is GSP Nintendo's version of "elo"?
I believe so, I've never gotten matched with someone below 2.5mil GSP. I think it's their way of creating an MMR system to keep people with certain skill lvls matched with those under a specific GSP range. I don't know the range exactly, but my average opponent tend to be around 2.5~2.8mil GSP, I've only seen 1 other 3mil GSP and never encountered them again after the match ended.

Last edited:

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
So idk if this known or not and I am not up to date in my smash knowledge by even a little bit.

I set my cstick to tilt and was doing some testing earlier. It makes pivot tilts super easy but when I was practicing reverse ftilt with Sheik I noticed that I slid once. I messed around with it a bit and figured out the input......
Dash and input cstick in the opposite direction and roll the analog down at the same time.
If performed correctly the momentum from your dash carries over into the tilt and you slide in a fashion that you cannot do without the cstick set to a tilt (from what I could do anyways).
You can do this going forward as well. Similar inputs but a little harder.

Sorry about not having a recording. I figured this was known so I didn't bother going through the trouble.

Last edited:

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
Is it normal to lose 2 stock in the Balloon Fight level when dragged down by the fish? Just cost me the game in a 3 stock match when I had 2 stock left and that surprised me.

I've always felt that I die too quickly on that stage but never looked into it
Selfdestructs are worth two stocks.

ItsASquid

Smash Apprentice
I only have a 15% win rate. Am I beyond help at ever becoming good at this series? I had an even worse win rate in Smash 4.

mototeeth

Smash Rookie
Can anyone replicate this for me? I feel as if the wall jump is inconsistent. What one noticed is that for young link, I could wall jump off a ledge grab. All I had to do was tilt away from the ledge and he would wall jump. It's in the same fashion as the recently discovered instant wall jump with cloud, except this is from a ledge grab. However it doesn't do it sometimes. I used practice stage on the flat wall right of FD

Saxonius

Smash Rookie
I'm trying out a bair 1/2 setup with yoshi and whenever I rar the fastest possible its already super difficult to FF, any advice?
Also, can you fastfall attack-canceled instant backairs, and can you fast fall a bair(multihit) once it started to connect, like can you fastfall hits during the multihit? (It looks like a char like meta was able to do it, but I'm not able to pull it off with Yoshi)

Trinsic

Smash Apprentice
Anyone know if the auto-shorthop attacks AND aerials input manually both have lowered attack power? Or does only the auto input affect the attack?

D

Deleted member

When at a disadvantage (off-stage, for example), what's the safest way to return to neutral without getting cheap shot?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Does anyone know if it's possible to trigger a specific win screen after winning in Vs mode? It used to be possible in previous games but I can';t seem to find anything online about it in this one and haven't got easy access to the game to test myself.
Would love to know that myself, tbh.

Rixerod

Smash Rookie
Hello guys, I'm pretty new to the Smash community. Me and my roommate are playing mostly 2v2s online or when connection is bad against CPUs.

My question - is there a way to setup 2v2s Tourney so we can play in a perceived structured format against CPUs? We had troubles adjusting the format to be team battles, as all the options are generating a tournament for singles and there is no way to change that after the format selection. I guess at this point is not possible, but maybe I'm missing something.

Thank you!

Saxonius

Smash Rookie
When at a disadvantage (off-stage, for example), what's the safest way to return to neutral without getting cheap shot?
Doesnt that like depend super heavily on your char?
Depending on your chars limitations you are able to ledge grab or recover high, use a side b or whatever, we need more info to give a proper answer.

But in general there is no saafe way thats why it's called being at a disadvantage, but the main idea to follow here is mxiing it up, especially if previous recovery attempts got stopped you have to mix it up and do something different.
I'll give you an example of my main Yoshi, yoshi can throw an egg(horizontal and at stage height) to clear his landing most of the time. But when the opponent adapts and just waits for the egg to parry it . I decide to fast fall into double jump UP-Airdodge to grab the ledge.

Can mewtwo float around in ultimate like in PM?
Sorry for the late answer: The mewtwo in ultimate is based on the one in Smash4 and he can't float any more than the specials that stall his fall.

Last edited:

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
Anyone know what the best Gamecube adapter is for the Switch? Back in the day when I got one for the Wii U there were only like 2 variations out there but after checking on Amazon there are like 10 or so. Which one is the most reliable? The official one made by Nintendo is out :(

TheAnomaly

Smash Cadet
Would love to know that myself, tbh.
ok, It turns out you have the hold up, left or right on the dpad(down is random) before the "Game" screen appears up until the win animation plays to get the corresponding win animation. Someone added it to the smashwiki and when i got my hands on the game again i was able to confirm it.

MrSour

Smash Rookie
1) Testing has found that wireless is actually faster than wired controllers by about a frame or two.

2) It's definitely not just you. When I still lived with my parents there was a CRT in my bedroom and an LCD out in the living room. On the occasions I could hook my Wii up to the big TV and play Melee or Brawl, there was very noticeable lag that screwed up all the reflexed I'd trained on the CRT. I didn't even know the term "input delay" at the time, but I still knew something was different. More modern TVs will have menu options that let you turn off all their image processing crap. Many will have an explicit "Game mode" that will automatically turn all those off for you. My stupid RCA TV doesn't, so I had to experiment to figure out all the crap I had to turn off.

The "deformed HDMI" is probably DisplayPort. DisplayPort has only one side angled instead of both. You can get converters, but I don't know how much lag they'll introduce. I don't know if there are any passive ones or just active.

3) Can't help you with this one.
Thanks for the help. I know it’s been awhile.

SonicShin

Smash Rookie
Is the gamecube controller generally more sensitive than the pro controller? I have an old, used gc controller and it is much more sensitive than the pro controller. I can hardly walk..

D

Deleted member

Doesnt that like depend super heavily on your char?
Depending on your chars limitations you are able to ledge grab or recover high, use a side b or whatever, we need more info to give a proper answer.

But in general there is no saafe way thats why it's called being at a disadvantage, but the main idea to follow here is mxiing it up, especially if previous recovery attempts got stopped you have to mix it up and do something different.
I'll give you an example of my main Yoshi, yoshi can throw an egg(horizontal and at stage height) to clear his landing most of the time. But when the opponent adapts and just waits for the egg to parry it . I decide to fast fall into double jump UP-Airdodge to grab the ledge.
I can't really mention any one character because the ones I use all vary heavily with their recovery. I do, however, try to use it below the ledge often. But it sometimes fails because I SD by air dodging an edgeguard. Sometimes I waste a stock trying to punish the egdeguarder while still offstage.

Hey everybody! Since we don’t have anything to talk about except tournaments, I guess we can just talk about that.

Our question for everybody is: How is it that you practice/prepare for a tournament? This applies to any type of tournament you go to, and what role you have in said tournament, even if it isn’t Smash Bros.

Well, as a Tournament Organizer hosting a bi-annual, I take many months to make sure that everything in the tournament goes correctly, from setting up the bracket schedule, rules, prizing, etc. To making sure that marketing is done right, Smash.gg shop is set to go, and that everybody we want to invite to the event has been invited.

We’re curious as to what your answers are, so make sure to put a small comment with your answer!

I guess this is our first REAL post that isn’t self advertisement, so enjoy.

See y’all later.

— Sumāto, Lead Organizer of SmashTube.

Last edited:
Top Bottom