• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Ultimate Leak Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
If these Steve leaks are real, what does this mean for Banjo-Kazooie as DLC? Does this raise their chances? Hurt them?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot_VeLKsShQ

If Minecraft is coming to Smash, I remember the above video discussion regarding Sony publishing games on competitor consoles. In case some people want some insight to the gaming industry. Other examples I can think of include HAL Lab (Eggerland PC) & Game Freak (Tembo the Badass Elephant).

Banjo I think could be in a slightly different situation; as I'm not sure of the 1st & 2nd Party dynamics of Microsoft. This certainly doesn't hurt their chances though.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Have any of you considered the possibility that Sakurai's statement of yesterday could be a way to troll us and catch us off guard for something major soon? I'm not necessarily expecting it at all, but there's always the possibility. Especially with Sakurai. Just wanted to bring it up.
No, I think he's trying to keep people in check. I remember when people expected 100 characters... in Brawl. I mentioned it earlier in this thread but he made similar statements for both Brawl and Smash 4. For Brawl, we largely ignored him and then for Smash 4 people took him so seriously that up until Gematsu fell through people were practically crawling on the floor their expectations were so low. That's why I don't subscribe to only 3 left in the base roster but honestly only thinking 6 with half being echoes.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Have any of you considered the possibility that Sakurai's statement of yesterday could be a way to troll us and catch us off guard for something major soon? I'm not necessarily expecting it at all, but there's always the possibility. Especially with Sakurai. Just wanted to bring it up.
It's possible, though as you said it's not something we should expect, necessarily. At E3 he said he was hoping we wouldn't expect too many newcomers. Then after E3, there was a Direct with 5 characters. So he could be intentionally lowering expectations in order to shatter them afterwards.

And it was this that made me think we could expect more than we assumed at E3, and I stand by that that's not an unreasonable take-away from the August Direct. If we really only have a couple of newcomer reveals left, then it really doesn't make sense to front load as they did, which is what Sakurai is possibly alluding to going overboard--which I contend is a fairly weird thing for a developer of a highly controlled game such as Smash to admit.

So, I'll take him at face value, but hopefully be surprised by what's left to be in store. And it goes along with my motto--lower expectations, high hopes.

Xgears

Smash Apprentice
Following up on this ASsist trophy discussion, what if somehow the Mega Man Zero incarnation of Zero became playable at least as DLC, and the Mega Man X version of Zero remained as an Assist Trophy?
That's the dream right there, not happening though.

Ikanger

Smash Apprentice
It's possible, though as you said it's not something we should expect, necessarily. At E3 he said he was hoping we wouldn't expect too many newcomers. Then after E3, there was a Direct with 5 characters. So he could be intentionally lowering expectations in order to shatter them afterwards.

And it was this that made me think we could expect more than we assumed at E3, and I stand by that that's not an unreasonable take-away from the August Direct. If we really only have a couple of newcomer reveals left, then it really doesn't make sense to front load as they did, which is what Sakurai is possibly alluding to going overboard--which I contend is a fairly weird thing for a developer of a highly controlled game such as Smash to admit.

So, I'll take him at face value, but hopefully be surprised by what's left to be in store. And it goes along with my motto--lower expectations, high hopes.
That's my motto too! Expectations and hopes are two different things, so long as your hopes don't become expectations. No matter how realistic, likely, or logical they may seem.

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
I think the weirdest thing is, in a sense, we've gone too long without "The" leak to quiet us.

Think about it. With Smash 4 we had Gematsu, and even when Gematsu failed, the ESRB leak came out of nowhere and basically spoiled it.

Gematsu basically cultured speculation around it for a solid year, and even after it failed, "Oh WHOOPS, Here's the whole damn roster!"
Ninka Kiwi posted their leak like right after Robin's reveal happened, and the big thread created to support his information was done soon after, so after it was proven Gematsu wasn't the whole newcomer roster there was just a matter of days where people could freely speculate "anything is possible again". Some people disputed Ninka/Vaanrose's leak, just like how you got some people still disputing Vergeben, but a month later came the ESRB leak to completely shut down all but a few in severe denial.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Regarding steve... I don't see him as an Assist Trophy... if we getting a Minecraft Assist Trophy will likely be a creeper... the other place i can actually see steve not as a playable character is as a MII costume, i think that could work. Still, is posible that there is minecraft stuff but no steve.
Ive never say that Steve NEEDS to be in teh game, but I've been saying that a lot that 98% of the arguments agains steve are usually pretty bad. so i could pass up as a Steve defender...

Still, one piece of information for steve chances, and one against steve chances.

If the project plan was finished at the end of 2015, 2015 was Minecraft best year as far as I know, and Nintendo knew perfectly well they will be bringing the game to the system, so is very pausible for steve to been chosen at that time.

now, against steve reveal... Sony just announced fortinte crossplay, so the "BIG MINECON SECRET ANNOUNCEMENT" could perfectly be, crossplay with ps4. (is very unlikely that anything smash will be talked at minecon really).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot_VeLKsShQ

If Minecraft is coming to Smash, I remember the above video discussion regarding Sony publishing games on competitor consoles. In case some people want some insight to the gaming industry. Other examples I can think of include HAL Lab (Eggerland PC) & Game Freak (Tembo the Badass Elephant).

Banjo I think could be in a slightly different situation; as I'm not sure of the 1st & 2nd Party dynamics of Microsoft. This certainly doesn't hurt their chances though.
Sony music and Sony games are almost 2 completely diffferent companies, so what one does it barely affects the other... so forget this means "Sony" games outside of PS4.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Just came to check how it’s going

I heard senjougahara got another thing right and that gives points for Steve I guess we have two gemusatu 2.0 I guess

And I got one more thing I have been hearing about this theory could the Nihilist theory can someone explain to me what it is or link it?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Regarding steve... I don't see him as an Assist Trophy... if we getting a Minecraft Assist Trophy will likely be a creeper... the other place i can actually see steve not as a playable character is as a MII costume, i think that could work. Still, is posible that there is minecraft stuff but no steve.
Ive never say that Steve NEEDS to be in teh game, but I've been saying that a lot that 98% of the arguments agains steve are usually pretty bad. so i could pass up as a Steve defender...

Still, one piece of information for steve chances, and one against steve chances.

If the project plan was finished at the end of 2015, 2015 was Minecraft best year as far as I know, and Nintendo knew perfectly well they will be bringing the game to the system, so is very pausible for steve to been chosen at that time.

now, against steve reveal... Sony just announced fortinte crossplay, so the "BIG MINECON SECRET ANNOUNCEMENT" could perfectly be, crossplay with ps4. (is very unlikely that anything smash will be talked at minecon really).

Sony music and Sony games are almost 2 completely diffferent companies, so what one does it barely affects the other... so forget this means "Sony" games outside of PS4.
Yeah I'm really confused as to why the "project plan 2015 = no steve" point is really a thing.
Minecraft coming to Wii U would've been VERY obvious to Sakurai because one would think Nintendo wanted the BIG BUCKS from getting Steve into the next Smash. And they've only kept pushing Minecraft on their systems, so.

If Sakurai can know about a character who won't be seen for 2 years he can know about one of the biggest characters in the gaming world who may have missed (MAY being the key word) the project plan by a few months.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Just came to check how it’s going

I heard senjougahara got another thing right and that gives points for Steve I guess we have two gemusatu 2.0 I guess

And I got one more thing I have been hearing about this theory could the Nihilist theory can someone explain to me what it is or link it?
Nihilist Theory I believe was started by tehponycorn. Basically, it's the theory where you don't believe in any theory.

Also Senjougahara said Steve is in, but how he's implemented isn't 100% confirmed. However, Minecraft is in. (but might be DLC based on other stuff he said)

playable Steve pls

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Yeah, with the leaker backtracking my guess is either Steve was leaker bait, or was considered DLC later on in development--which makes sense, given we heard about Minecraft *content* first, and only recently hearing murmers of a playable character.

Of course, this raises the question, what popular character would have been the impetus to start talks between Microsoft's possible involvement in Smash... :upsidedown:

And, of course, a likely scenario is talks began between Nintendo and Microsoft after the roster had been selected. I just don't see that happening out of nowhere, though.

D

Deleted member

Steve doesn't necessarily have to be revealed at Minecon if he's in IMO. Nintendo has historically shown to prefer to make those kinds of announcements themselves, so nothing Smash related appearing at Minecon doesn't really mean much.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Nihilist Theory I believe was started by tehponycorn. Basically, it's the theory where you don't believe in any theory.

Also Senjougahara said Steve is in, but how he's implemented isn't 100% confirmed. However, Minecraft is in. (but might be DLC based on other stuff he said)

playable Steve pls
Oh thanks

DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon count me in for the theory

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Yeah, with the leaker backtracking my guess is either Steve was leaker bait, or was considered DLC later on in development--which makes sense, given we heard about Minecraft *content* first, and only recently hearing murmers of a playable character.

Of course, this raises the question, what popular character would have been the impetus to start talks between Microsoft's possible involvement in Smash... :upsidedown:

And, of course, a likely scenario is talks began between Nintendo and Microsoft after the roster had been selected. I just don't see that happening out of nowhere, though.
Or he's still in.

I'm not sure what Senjou being sketchy has to do with this as most of the speculation on Steve has moved on from Senjou and back towards Verge.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
another thing regarding teh ballot is that people are assuming that Stuff like Isaac or Geno or BWD are shoe ins because of teh ballot (i won't deny that their chances aren't bad though... that is better than how terrible they usually were)...

but ppl needs to stop acting like teh ballot was almost ignored, we certainly won't ever know the results, but I'm very confident that Snake, Wolf, Ice Climbers, K.Rool, Inklings and Isabelle were very VERY strong contenders, Iwant to believe that Ridley also make a strong impact on the ballot and that Simon performed way better than expected, and Bayo, while there is evidence that she wasn't choose due the ballot, fan polls have her as a strong contender anyways...

so yeah... the ballot was certainly an important factor, even if Isaac or Geno don't manage to get in.

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Its unlikely but I really hope we still get codecs with all these crazy characters were getting (and could be getting)

"Otacon, there's a guy running around with a pickaxe looking like he came out of 1998!"

"That's no ordinary man, Snake.... That's the legendary Minecraft Steve"

"Hrngh... Minecraft Steve?"

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Its unlikely but I really hope we still get codecs with all these crazy characters were getting (and could be getting)

"Otacon, there's a guy running around with a pickaxe looking like he came out of 1998!"

"That's no ordinary man, Snake.... That's the legendary Minecraft Steve"

"Hrngh... Minecraft Steve?"
Snake's VA deconfirmed the codecs, sadly

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Snake's VA deconfirmed the codecs, sadly
They didn't outright say "No codecs", but Hayter said he hasn't recorded any lines yet. He could either be saying that under NDA or just hasn't done them yet, but those aren't very likely. Hence I said they're unlikely in the first place :)

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
No, because Sakurai's also stated that he hates misleading people into disappointment. He's being as upfront as possible with us so we don't have astronomical predictions, but of course stubborn people are still gonna expect 17 more characters.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
IF they bring back palutena's guidance but not codecs then we can't ever call sakurai unbiased even unirionically. That is just the ultimate... and itd also confirm Medusa, Viridi, Hades, Magnus, and every other sakurai character/waifu.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
switch pro? i could see that kind of announcement happening... but like in 2 years more, not now :s.

Waht is the rumour on that one?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
IF they bring back palutena's guidance but not codecs then we can't ever call sakurai unbiased even unirionically. That is just the ultimate... and itd also confirm Medusa, Viridi, Hades, Magnus, and every other sakurai character/waifu.
More the reason for me to ship my OTP crack shipping :ultkrool:xMedusa! :grin:

osby

Smash Obsessed
IF they bring back palutena's guidance but not codecs then we can't ever call sakurai unbiased even unirionically.
We easily can. Third party content is never guarenteed and honestly, we already have so much in the game.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I don’t trust anything he says about Smash...can’t trust

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
switch pro? i could see that kind of announcement happening... but like in 2 years more, not now :s.

Waht is the rumour on that one?
Supposed to be out in time for next year's Holiday season. I wouldn't be surprised if it was legit. The Switch kinda needs it.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Supposed to be out in time for next year's Holiday season. I wouldn't be surprised if it was legit. The Switch kinda needs it.
no more specifics? what i kinda can see happening soon is something akin to a "dock pro", a dock that you purchase and you can upgrade your docked switch withouth needing to purchase another switch. back when the switch was first unveiled, a lot of the people were surprised than the dock itself didn't had extra processing power.

and honestly, the switch power is just right for handheld mode... more power would probably eat more battery anyways :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom