• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Ultimate Doesn't Need A Sequel: The Thread

WaxPython

Smash Ace
I've been noticing heaps of talk about a sequel for smash ultimate so I thought I'd make a discussion thread for why I don't think we will get a sequel and why one isn't needed.

The first major reason is because of the sheer amount of work that went in to the game it is unrealistic to expect a ssequel to have nearly the same amount of content, I think having roster cuts would upset alot of people and I'd argue it isn't necessary.

What else can be added to smash? There's only so much you can refine the gameplay and formula and I think the series has hit its sweet spot balance between melee and smash 4 without overcomplicating or oversimplifying the gameplay.

That's not to say that there won't be new smash games but I would think they go the expansion route such as a smash ultimate deluxe which has the same textures models and animations but upscaled to 4k For the new console and new features added in that were missing from old games such as trophies and let's say about 10-15 newcomers with crossplay.

I think the game can thrive as a games as a live service title and It would be a shame to discard the core and start from scratch with less content.

Let me know what you guys think.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I've been noticing heaps of talk about a sequel for smash ultimate so I thought I'd make a discussion thread for why I don't think we will get a sequel and why one isn't needed.

The first major reason is because of the sheer amount of work that went in to the game it is unrealistic to expect a ssequel to have nearly the same amount of content, I think having roster cuts would upset alot of people and I'd argue it isn't necessary.

What else can be added to smash? There's only so much you can refine the gameplay and formula and I think the series has hit its sweet spot balance between melee and smash 4 without overcomplicating or oversimplifying the gameplay.

That's not to say that there won't be new smash games but I would think they go the expansion route such as a smash ultimate deluxe which has the same textures models and animations but upscaled to 4k For the new console and new features added in that were missing from old games such as trophies and let's say about 10-15 newcomers with crossplay.

I think the game can thrive as a games as a live service title and It would be a shame to discard the core and start from scratch with less content.

Let me know what you guys think.
Again, they can recycle the models, animations, and coding from Ultimate and still build a new game from there. Sakurai confirmed that such had to be done with the content of Smash 4 to make Ultimate in the first place.

Smash being nothing but rereleases of Ultimate will make the game staler than Pokémon and Call of Duty. Yes, I use those examples a lot, but they're easy examples.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Again, they can recycle the models, animations, and coding from Ultimate and still build a new game from there. Sakurai confirmed that such had to be done with the content of Smash 4 to make Ultimate in the first place.

Smash being nothing but rereleases of Ultimate will make the game staler than Pokémon and Call of Duty. Yes, I use those examples a lot, but they're easy examples.
Will it though, Mario kart 8 deluxe was great

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
No way, dude.
Ultimate always needs a Sequel, even if it doesn't.
Every game should include sequel!
Smash shouldn't die too early. We have too much characters to let them fight, don't let them gatekeep from Fighting Arenas!
I think you are mistaking “Smash Ultimate Sequel” with “new Smash game”. Also, no, not every game should have a sequel.

As for a sequel to Ultimate as in, they include al the content we saw in Ultimate plus a token new extra additions - there’s good and bad things about it. I would like to see how they would redefine Smash over just taking Ultimate and adding new stuff to it. I think we’ve seen Ultimate as the benchmark to the Smash series and the standard where past and future games should be measured against. That’s a dangerous slope.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I think the next place for Smash to go should be dropping the crossover element alltogether and doing specific series-centric games. Mario, Pokémon, Zelda, FE, even Rhythm Heaven - so many Nintendo series have enough awesome characters to make a full roster out of, and it'd allow fans of more obscure characters to finally see their favourites in the spotlight, especially given Smash seems to be the only exception to the absurd Mario mandates.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
I think the next place for Smash to go should be dropping the crossover element alltogether and doing specific series-centric games. Mario, Pokémon, Zelda, FE, even Rhythm Heaven - so many Nintendo series have enough awesome characters to make a full roster out of, and it'd allow fans of more obscure characters to finally see their favourites in the spotlight, especially given Smash seems to be the only exception to the absurd Mario mandates.
Seems like a step backwards ain't it?

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Well, after Ultimate where else can you go except back? Anyway, a strictly-one-IP roster would open up a lot of possibilities otherwise impossible unlike the "Super Smash Villains" or "Super Smash Sisters" ideas often thrown around.
People will just stick to ultimate if the series takes steps back like that. It is better to improve on ultimate

Nah

Smash Champion
IP-specific Nintendo fighting games wouldn't ever be branded as Smash Bros entries.

From the very beginning, Smash has been a crossover game, they aren't ever going to drop that part of it--it wouldn't be Smash anymore. That's not to say that IP-specific fighters couldn't happen (FE fighting game when pls?), just they'd naturally market it as something else. Smash is a money-printer for them, they won't take chances on the scale of that.

They will find a way to keep Smash going even after its "Ultimate" entry.

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
While I'll always be disappointed that the game ended up the way it did at launch, at least the series (without reboots, of course) can finally rest in piece. 😞

Ice-N-Space

Smash Apprentice
I didn't even like this Smash it needs a sequel. Make sequel to Smash 4 with things like custom moves and trophies.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
my most wanteds save Pythra were either too late to the party or just not considered to start. gives me something to look forward to for next SSB

Also more importantly we have to consider what SSBU is trying to be ultimate of. Japanese crossovers seemed to be the goal. with a side of Minecraft. BK & KKR are honestly honorary Japanese characters considering; Nintendo owned 50% Rare at one point and KKR started in the DK universe.

Tales of _ missed the marketing side of things by a wide margin.
Resident Evil is too much for adolescents IMO & probably Sakurai's & Nintendo's.
Phantasy Star _probably missed out because no meaningful tie in to new game and is unavailable on Switch outside of Japan. :(

feel free to add more franchises i cannot think of now.

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
I feel like a lot of people want obscure characters just for representation, forgetting that those characters need a new unique move set

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I do agree that we need some specific fighting games! But the super smash sisters idea is pretty dumb!
I mean smash had females since day one! and when it comes to nintendo Generally the male chars are much more interesting i mean ghaving a game consist mostly of b list chars seems weird! And yeah i know some other companys do it but most of the time its done its pretty risque in nature so nah!

Super smash villains seems interesting tho!

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
The only way to make this one a proper sequel is to....make a Deluxe

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
The only way to make this one a proper sequel is to....make a Deluxe
Smash Bros Ultimate Deluxe: Premium Platinum editon.

I do agree that we need some specific fighting games! But the super smash sisters idea is pretty dumb!
I mean smash had females since day one! and when it comes to nintendo Generally the male chars are much more interesting i mean ghaving a game consist mostly of b list chars seems weird! And yeah i know some other companys do it but most of the time its done its pretty risque in nature so nah!

Plus, what about gender neutral characters or characters that can be female by choice in their games. Are they omitted or added as their girl counterparts, like Hero alt 2 and 3.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I feel like a lot of people want obscure characters just for representation, forgetting that those characters need a new unique move set
When I look at my most wanteds, the obscure characters (Muddy Mole, Jill & Drill Dozer, Knight & Ostrich) are usually the ones I want for moveset, wheras the popular ones (Crash, Dixie Kong) are usually the ones I want for representation.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

...you realize that we can have a lineup with the Smash Sisters? There's also plenty of villains on their side (Wendy, Medusa, Twintelle, etc) to name a few

Top Bottom