• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Melee still feels the best in terms of inputs and movement. Ultimate has made good progress in the latter but Melee just feels crispy.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Guys, you're taking the bait. Just report for trolling instead.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I know people would hate it. A lot pf people, probably. But, in all honesty...no trolling intended...I'd like to see Boo/King Boo as a playable character somehow. I would have preferred him over Piranha Plant (though I'm still pleased with that reveal) since he's actually been in a lot of the Mario Party games for some time. Mario Tennis, Mario Kart, Mario Party...and he's been a staple since...what...Mario 3? That's a really long time.
Low key I want King Boo to be fleshed out by Luigi's Mansion 3.

I just see him as a counterpart to Bowser now and its a shame that we don't know that much about him.

Last edited:

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Only if you're an idiot
yeah no that's not how that works.

Melee is still much faster, requires a lot of technical skill, has a lot of interesting combos, and is very fun to watch. You can still like that game more and have valid reasoning. When you call someone and idiot for disagreeing with you, you are the one who looks stupid. Being willfully ignorant to other people's reasoning doesn't make you cool.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

With all those disclaimers I thought you were gonna say something bad. :p

King Boo would be great.
There are a fair number of people ready to set barges on fire thanks to Piranha Plant's reveal. Just acknowledging that people probably wouldnt like it since its another Mario character (they are the flagship series, so there's nothing wrong with having a ton of reps, but I can see people getting annoyed) and another 'basic enemy' at that.

EDIT: Funny enough, when I was toying around with the roster maker to 'predict' Ultimate's roster, the final character I was debating was the 'joke' character and I narrowed it down between Piranha Plant and Boo, but gave it to Boo because I wanted it more and was able to see it as an actual fighter more than the plant. Though after seeing the short trailer for it, I am happy with what they came up with for Mr. Planty.

Gotta think up a name for the Pirahna Plant amiibo when I get the time. The Little Shop of Horrors reference is way too easy, so I need something else lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pakky

Smash Hero
There are a fair number of people ready to set barges on fire thanks to Piranha Plant's reveal. Just acknowledging that people probably wouldnt like it since its another Mario character (they are the flagship series, so there's nothing wrong with having a ton of reps, but I can see people getting annoyed) and another 'basic enemy' at that.
Eh He IS a major antagonist though. King Boo is one that is.

Though I wonder would they ever turn an AT into a fighter?

Would that be too drastic?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

yeah no that's not how that works.

Melee is still much faster, requires a lot of technical skill, has a lot of interesting combos, and is very fun to watch. You can still like that game more and have valid reasoning. When you call someone and idiot for disagreeing with you, you are the one who looks stupid. Being willfully ignorant to other people's reasoning doesn't make you cool.
Okay look
I ****ed up
I'm sorry

D

Deleted member

Eh He IS a major antagonist though.
I owned & played Mario 1, 2, 3, and World. I never owned an N64, Gamecube, or Wii (and I got the Wii U midway through its sputtering lifespan). I've msised a LOT of Mario games, so I'm not totally familiar with all of Boo's appearances. I'm used to him being an enemy in different castle or Ghost house levels (with me calling the secret Giant Boo boss in Super Mario World 'King Boo').

So if he's actually increased in enemy priority over the years; I wouldn't be up to speed on that.

D

Deleted member

Only if you're an idiot
I mean some people like the crazy speed of elee way more then ultimate's slightly slower pace, and the tech that's been boiling in the pot for about a decade really appeals to some people considering the amount of skill. Memes aside, these are all valid reasons to think that Melee is the best Smash imo. Not that I think that, but I get where people come from.

D

Deleted member

Is there a Jevil for Smash support thread yet? If not I'm totally making one.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Oi, Melee wars? I’ll add my two cents on the matter. Whether which game is better than the other is totally subjective and is there is nothing wrong with liking Melee more than the other Smash games and vice versa.

Melee is definitely a fast paced game that requires quick reaction time and thinking and that may not appeal to everyone and that’s perfectly fine. Same goes to people who didn’t enjoy the pace of Brawl, 4 or Ultimate.

Let’s not go to game wars when were saying our heartfelt thank-yous and such to everyone yesterday.

Edit: good lord I made so many typos! That’s what I get for staying up late.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

OK so here are the rules:

We are building a smash themed amusement park out of the roster by correlating them to RL Amusement rides either operating or closed. What i want you all to do is

1. Pick a character (Limit one per customer til we have the full roster)
2. Find a ride in any amusement park that would most relate to them (Cite your source of the rides existance please)
3. Cite your reasoning why that character matches that ride

If you pick a character with an echo leave it open however if a ride has a sister attraction (like Beast and Son of Beast at Kings Island) you may want to pair them that way.

Best ones will be picked before the thread closes and the winning park will be put up in the new thread when it opens as Smash Land. Lets see if we can match up the whole roster best of luck.

Edit: For sake of Clarity and cuz i got someone writing this down among yous. Please cite the ride and the park it is in and where the park is located. Thank you.
Hey guys do you think you could continue this
KingofKoopas KingofKoopas is getting sad/mad that nobody's participating

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Noob Saibot? Well, that's a very different name...
it’s actually just the names two original creators of the game backwards, Ed Boon and John Tobias.

A lot of Mortal Kombat character names are jokes or references. Ermac was originally a glitch in mk2 where scorpion had the name Ermac as a shortening of “Error Macro”. Rain is the purple ninja with power over water and is also a prince, a reference to “Purple Rain” by prince.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
If I were to rank the Smash games based on my personal preference:

1. Ultimate: My favorite single player experience in the franchise. I love Spirits and classic mode is in its best form to date. Gameplay wise it feels slick and rewards aggression. I enjoy watching this game as much as Melee which I never thought would be the case after the past decade. Soundtrack selection got a big buff after the somewhat lacklustre Smash 4 picks.

2. Melee: Crispy controls and movement. Excluding Ultimate's once in a life time stage list since that's cheating - my favorite stage selection in the series. Balanced between legal stages and most of the casual stages aren't too crazy. Good spectator sport due to the mechanics and personalities in the scene that come from grassroots love. Single player is good for its time, although Adventure Mode is overrated to this day. Best event matches and minigames in the series though.

3. Brawl: Competitively a very poor game, but it has its charm. Single player content was good, although I thought most of them were worse than Melee's - not too badly barring Target Test, and Adventure Mode did get more substance to it. My Music at the the time was incredible and still has the best new remixes in the series. Very good presentation and the stage variation was solid, albeit it was the first game to go overboard with the wacky destructive stages.

4. Smash 4: I remember being disappointed by it on release. Worst single player experience in the series - yes I am including 64 in this. While it had more content than the original, all of it was bad and I had no interest in going back to these modes. Stage selection was rather poor although the DLC improved it. My Music didn't have the same "oomph" as Brawl and Ultimate. Gameplay was too sluggish and defensive-oriented which made me lose interest in the game as a competitive game rather quickly. I still had fun with it, but overall it was disappointing.

5. Smash 64: Classic Mode does the trick and it has two mini games that are fun to do - that's more enjoyable than Smash 4's single player! Vintage stages and music. A simple game but the meta is basically zero to death: the game which makes it uninteresting. And mechanically the series has grown so much that it is a little jarring to go back to. Fun for nostalgia and I do recommend giving it a whirl if you haven't. It's still a solid game, just outdated in every department.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Is there any reason to expect a season 2 of dlc? Iirc no Nintendo game has gotten multiple seasons of DLC and Sakurai seemed pretty set on 5(or 6 including plant) being the max.
Hyrule Warriors got multiple season passes - Master Quest/Twilight Princess/Majora's Mask/Boss Challenges in one, Link's Awakening/Link Between Worlds/Spirit Tracks/Phantom Hourglass/characters from the 3DS version in the other.

However, that seems like more of a Koei-Tecmo decision than a Nintendo decision. (Koei-Tecmo games, or at least Warriors games, seem to have a lot of DLC)

D

Deleted member

it’s actually just the names two original creators of the game backwards, Ed Boon and John Tobias.

A lot of Mortal Kombat character names are jokes or references. Ermac was originally a glitch in mk2 where scorpion had the name Ermac as a shortening of “Error Macro”. Rain is the purple ninja with power over water and is also a prince, a reference to “Purple Rain” by prince.
Huh. Well then,

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
If there is a Melee war going on...don’t do **** until Salem finds out
1. Wasn’t referring to the thumbnail but okay.
2. That mental image, just...wow

Okay, ALMOST no one
1. Neither was I
2. A beautiful image to be mentalizing

No...only everyone
Honestly, Shadow is the biggest case of an "easy Echo" out there since he was literally designed to be Sonic's "Echo" in-series.
The fact he isn't one is shocking....
and that’s why him not being playable still sucks to this day (atleast we got another Sega Rep in the form of Joker...but I wanted to be truly edgy when playing Smash)
Make Hades an Incineroar echo. I want to see him strike a pose after every attack.
**** it, make Hades a Pit/Incineroar/Palutena/Ganondorf/Bowser echo just so that we can have another “Hades...Pit...Hades...Pit...” moment again
Currently waiting for the MK11 reveal in a few hours...

A small, stupid part of me hopes for this
View attachment 187181
dude same...I need Scorpion and/or Sub Zero to join Smash one day

Pakky

Smash Hero
2B's rump should have super armor... If she ever gets in.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Regardless of getting experience, the kids oversexualise it to the point that it’s disconcerting.
I feel attracted to people, but whereas I seem to realise that it’s just hormones, the other kids don’t.
Get what I mean? :)
I was, in fact, a teenager once. I get what you mean.

Ya just gotta learn people are stupid and not worry too much about it.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It took until Ultimate for Melee to no longer be my favorite game in the series, it's still significantly better than 64, Brawl and Smash 4 imo just on gameplay alone (bless Project M though). When you really get a hang of the game it just feels so incredibly good, it takes time and a hell of a lot of practice to do so, but it's by far the most rewarding game in the series in that sense, I've spend more hours improving in it than any other game period.

I no longer play it as much though, I'm incredibly rusty and can't really pull things off like I used to, and I no longer have the dedication to spend that long constantly refining my play when I have a huge list of games that I still want to get through, so Ultimate being easier to pick up and play while still being a fast-paced and aggressive game is more up my alley these days. Of course the difference in content is astronomical at this point, but I'm always a gameplay-first kind of guy.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

50 pages until doomsday
I really wish i knew anything about what y'all are talking about

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom