• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Storm0943

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
2464 5707 1993
Announception...also Isabelle is better than K Rool. Until he can summon an infinite amount of Guiles and Knuckles, he ain’t got **** on her
Are we talking competitive or casual, cause I believe they are quite even competitively.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
So, will they be showing off gameplay? Or new characters? Or both?
Nobody knows, but safe to assume both.

The official trailer was at the Game Awards, with an announcement that they would properly debut the game on Jan. 17th. It's coming out on April 23rd, so yeah, this event is probably going to tell us a ****load about the game. As of right now the only confirmations are that Raiden is evil and Scorpion's in it. Other than that, we know nothing.

Oh and Ronda Rousey is apparently rumored to make an appearance for some reason? So it should be quality entertainment.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

I mean, I know the game sucked, but still.

Also, Kharacter. Ha. I like you.
The only good thing about that game is the glorious FMV cutscenes.

Yeah to be honest Sub-Zero used to be bigger than Scorpion, he had his own spin off game, he was in vanilla MK3 while scorpion was left out, he was a major Kharacter in the children’s cartoon, and his spine rip fatality was the face of violence in video games.

I guess it’s only fair Scorpion is getting his revenge now, he kills sub-zero in two reveal trailers, uppercuts him every time you press start in mk9, and now gets to be the sole figure on the box art of MKX and MK11.

Just for fun I was trying to imagine which fighters would work for Spirit battles.
Lui Kang: :ultryu:
Raiden: :ultpikachu:
Sub-Zero::ultgreninja:(with freezee)
Johnny Cage::ultken:
Sonya: :ultzss:
Kano::ultwolf:
Reptile::ultyoshi:

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord

Yeah to be honest Sub-Zero used to be bigger than Scorpion, he had his own spin off game, he was in vanilla MK3 while scorpion was left out, he was a major Kharacter in the children’s cartoon, and his spine rip fatality was the face of violence in video games.

I guess it’s only fair Scorpion is getting his revenge now, he kills sub-zero in two reveal trailers, uppercuts him every time you press start in mk9, and now gets to be the sole figure on the box art of MKX and MK11.

Just for fun I was trying to imagine which fighters would work for Spirit battles.
Shao Kahn: :ultganondorf:
Goro::ultbowser:
Jax::ultlittlemac:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
If it's any consolation, I think the MK11 box art is crap. MKX was ****ing fantastic. MK11 looks like they hired the Madden box artist and he copied and pasted his recent work.

And Mileena is :ultridley:

Pakky

Smash Hero

:ultwario:: Bo Rai Cho

:ultincineroar:: Kataro!

:ultgnw:: MoKap!

:ultkrool: Onaga!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Is Chrom's classic mode just really easy or something, because I just hit 9.9 for the second time using him without really trying. I think it has something to do with the whole team aspect of it and me being able to use my teammate as cannon-fodder, plus some decent rng on item drops and Chrom being able to run fast to pick them up. Also, while I didn't die on this run, if you have some Classic Tickets in hand and things are getting rocky you can suicide to bring both yourself AND your teammate back to 0% (even if they're still alive) to basically guarantee a win.

Last edited by a moderator:

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
Is Chrom's classic mode really easy or something, because I just hit 9.9 for the second time using him without really trying. I think it has something to do with the whole team aspect of it and me being able to use my teammate as cannon-fodder, plus some decent rng on item drops and Chrom being able to run fast to pick them up. Also, while I didn't die on this run, if you have some Classic Tickets in hand and things are getting rocky you can suicide to bring both yourself AND your teammate back to 0%.
Chrom is OP in this game. Just Up B someone offstage and get a free stock.

D

Deleted member

Chrom is OP in this game. Just Up B someone offstage and get a free stock.
Eh, I don't think he's OP. It's not so simple, especially since Chrom dies suuuuper easily offstage. He has no sideways recovery and his up-b is super punishable (with proper spacing you can literally just rapid jab as Falcon to cover his Up-B and there's nothing he can do.) He's a monster in neutral/advantage, but his disadvantage is one of if not the worst in the game. Also, since there's no hitbox going up like Ike's up-b, it's way harder to "just up-b someone offstage" then it seems (especially with the new airdodge mechanics). He's a very strong character with a very large flaw. Kinda the parallel opposite of Lucina, who's a very good character without many flaws. They're both high/top tier, but in their own ways. Probably poetic in some way idk.

Last edited by a moderator:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
: Rain

Because he's not getting in again.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I've been thinking maybe Spirits don't deconfirm characters. No:ultpiranha: spirits are kinda weird but that might not even mean anything.
My stance is that until the Spirits Theory is debunked, while Season 1 may be a no-go, beyond that first pass, the spirits have a shot at being DLC, especially since DLC season 2 aaaaand whatnot likely hasn't even been talked about, let alone, fully decided on at this point in time.

D

Deleted member

If only Pokémon can harm Pokémon, why can we harm the other playable Pokémon?
(thinking of excuse)
Mewtwo has used his Psychic power to make all the fighters perceive the Pokemon as regular people, allowing them to be fought. But because this requires a lot of mental strength, he doesn't have enough to stop it from affecting himself, so he, too, must participate.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I know it's super unlikely but i'd lose my **** if Scorpion/Sub-Zero were announced for Smash today.

Stranger things have happened yeah?

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
My stance is that until the Spirits Theory is debunked, while Season 1 may be a no-go, beyond that first pass, the spirits have a shot at being DLC, especially since DLC season 2 aaaaand whatnot likely hasn't even been talked about, let alone, fully decided on at this point in time.
I really don't think we should get our hopes up for a season two.

Smash is a different beast because it's not being handled in-house. Since the beginning of Smash 4 development, the entire Sora studio and a boatload of Bandai Namco staff have been on lease to make a game for Nintendo. That's seven years of those employees working on a Nintendo project. At some point, Bandai Namco will want to put their talent on something else, and Sora is likely already looking into other projects post-Smash.

Unless the first season sells way beyond expectations and Nintendo sees a second season as a worthy enough investment to either A) try and keep all these team members hired on, or B) migrate Smash production to a new team, a second season is a longshot. Especially since Sakurai has already stated that with each character released, his staff is going to get smaller and smaller.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
It's worth it for more content. Besides, I have the keen power of having multiple interests including playing the game itself when speculation feels like it's getting too tough and tired
You and me both buddy.
If we get a Season 2 Waluigi will be in the game. I am calling it now.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Rain is likely to return IMO.
They had the character fully modeled and an AI moveset created for the story campaign in MKX. and yet he still didn't get in. Like, over half the work was already done, but instead we got the worst Alien.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I really don't think we should get our hopes up for a season two.
Meh. Doesn't have to be a whole Season 2 pass either. They could just pepper DLC character packs throughout the coming years like they did with Smash 4.
Especially since Sakurai has already stated that with each character released, his staff is going to get smaller and smaller.
This was never really a cause for concern, since it's standard protocol for teams to get smaller when it comes to DLC in cases like these fighting games, of course.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
They had the character fully modeled and an AI moveset created for the story campaign in MKX. and yet he still didn't get in. Like, over half the work was already done, but instead we got the worst Alien.
I think that's due to characters previously DLC not being in as DLC again. I think he just caught a bad break with making the base roster.

P.Kat

Smash Champion

Shout out to @Noipoi @Smashing Ramen @Tougon @GoldenYuiitusin @BKupa666 TMNTSSB4 TMNTSSB4 @Zinith @Opossum @Scoliosis Jones @KirbyWorshipper2465 @Luigifan18 Yoshisaurus Rex Yoshisaurus Rex @Lampy @Guynamednelson @ToasterBrains @Swamp Sensei @KMDP @Rie Sonomura @Dyllybirdy P.Kat P.Kat staindgrey staindgrey @faygoshill @osby Masked Marshmallow Masked Marshmallow @GothFluttershy Jovahexeon Joranvexeon Jovahexeon Joranvexeon @Pacack @Imadethistoseealeak @SonicSmasher1 @Idon Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen @Indecisive Fisher @Legendary Spirit Tamer @Arigarmy @Luigi The President @Iridium @Wademan94 @JaiTheGuy@King Sonnn DeDeDoo @MainJPW

Thank you and many others (If I forgot you sorry :( ) for being groovy cats during this thread, thank you for flying my icons in your banners (means more than you know) thank you for rallying with me (or against me...) in debates. And thank you for sharing your passions with me. I've NEVER stayed around this long during smash cycle nor have I been this involved in fanarty things (found them kinda meh personally) but you all and Smash changed that. Hope to see you in the new thread!

Oh about the girl up top she's Kalypso I'm using her for my new work portfolio to broaden my horizons. The idea is to do her up like :ultkrool:'s model but with a different outfit. She's only whew like 6% done at this point but I wanted to show off what I had.

@Legendary Spirit Tamer

...I'm too fast you can't catch me COPPER! *Throws plastic boobie and runs away*

Okay

I'm done.
Thanks a lot, it was fun gathering most of your icon for my sig they were always so well done especially the Primarina icon. Hope to see you in the next thread :)

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Working on getting Mew by beating the final boss segment without getting KO'd. Came so goddamn close last month that it hurts. Haven't tried much since then, as I've been busy with other stuff. If you didn't have to do the whole ascent/boss rush sections before doing the final boss, it wouldn't be that bad. Those parts aren't too difficult and I rarely have trouble with them. But having to do all of that just to reattempt the actual final boss is just tedious and grating.

Made a couple of attempts today. Got pretty close on the first attempt, but made some mistakes and in the end was surprised by an attack I either hadn't seen before or forgot about. The second attempt was ended by Dracula as I somehow got comboed by him. Don't really know how that happened, it's a blur.

My problem is that I'm trying to do it with just Dark Samus, though I could probably do it much more easily with Olimar or something else that can cheese the bosses. But I'd just like to be able to say I did it with Dark Samus, rather than whatever's easiest. Since it takes so long just to reattempt the final boss, though, I might have to just cut my losses and stop letting the game waste my time.
For that challenge, I used three particular things.
Great Autoheal
Additional Midair Jump
Shulk

Great Autoheal has you constantly healing 5%, which keeps down your percent throughout the climb and fights.

The Additional Midair Jump skill makes many of the boss fights much easier, as it is easier to escape their attacks. Giga Bowser and Ganon in particular are jokes with AMJ.

Shulk's Shield art helped me out a lot in the final fight. Since you can activate it during hitstun, it can make for a good way to get out of attacks without dying.

Another thing that helps is that the Heart Containers given after boss fights will stick around if you decide not to take them. So if you do well on a particular boss, you can wait to pick up the heart later.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Thanks a lot, it was fun gathering most of your icon for my sig they were always so well done especially the Primarina icon. Hope to see you in the next thread :)
*Blush* Thank you I do my best :D

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Meh. Doesn't have to be a whole Season 2 pass either. They could just pepper DLC character packs throughout the coming years like they did with Smash 4.

This was never really a cause for concern, since it's standard protocol for teams to get smaller when it comes to DLC in cases like these fighting games, of course.
They do get smaller, but smaller and smaller with each new release implies that they're winding down production.

But looking at Smash 4's DLC schedule, it's obvious now that post-launch of Smash 4, Nintendo realized that the Wii U was a sinking ship they couldn't save, and they kept their Smash development staff together to begin work on the next game on their next console. This didn't happen after Melee or Brawl; typically their superteam of developers moves onto other work afterward. Smash 4's DLC, particularly the latter half, was likely a direct result of the decision to begin work on Ultimate so soon, as they could use and reuse their work on characters like Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta, etc. for the next game.

This is simply my observation, but that sort of perfect storm isn't likely to happen again because, to be blunt, DLC doesn't make the same amount of money that the main game makes, and keeping that staff around to work on new characters over a year post-release when they're not in-house is a huge ask. I seriously doubt Nintendo is keeping them on for another Smash game like they did last time, so DLC would have to sell astronomically well to cause Nintendo to go against the better business decision. Like, a 70+% purchase rate or something ludicrous.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Are we talking competitive or casual, cause I believe they are quite even competitively.
yes
Oh and Ronda Rousey is apparently rumored to make an appearance for some reason? So it should be quality entertainment.
Ronda gets a smash letter... Think about it.
“The Man” Becky Lynch wouldn’t approve of such a thing...and will have to kick Ronda’s *** even more than already planned at WrestleMania 35...Ronda better hope she ain’t in MK11 cause of the verbal *** kicking she takes alone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom