• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I like how this custom figure looks.

This youtuber is making custom LEGO figures of every fighter in Smash, and i find a lot of them nice.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Doom guy is the only pick I might be swayed on maybe deserving a spot but am very apathetic towards him and annoyed since the opportunity to get an FPS icon like Master Chief is passed up vs him
I like how you say this like Doomguy isn't an FPS icon and the grandfather of the genre.

D

Deleted member

One thing I will say though is I don’t get the mentality of “oh this leak is real I might as well stop hoping for my most wanted”. Like, you have pretty much nothing to lose by holding out hope. Sure, Banjo for example might not be in this pass, and there might only be one pass, but there’s absolutely nothing wrong for hoping he comes later. Keep hoping my guys.

Shroob

Sup?
I think based on many replies or spiteful remarks towards my opinions it’s pretty easy to see in what generation of gamer this dlc applies to lol
Yes but we i was talking about which franchise is more well known when comparing castlevania vs ninja Gaiden in that instance, it wasn’t about the characters in that moment.
What, you mean oldschool nerds like myself that grew up in the 80-90s?

Three of these characters appeared before the 90's, and SMT has been with Nintendo since the 80's. Steve is the only character to come from a 'new' series that spawned post 2000's.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I like how you say this like Doomguy isn't an FPS icon and the grandfather of the genre.
Hey at least I said that’s one I could understand.

What, you mean oldschool nerds like myself that grew up in the 80-90s?

Three of these characters appeared before the 90's, and SMT has been with Nintendo since the 80's. Steve is the only character to come from a 'new' series that spawned post 2000's.
Didn’t mean to post that first part as it was unfair, hence why I deleted it, it was above my reply lol. Doing this from my phone makes it easy to mess up posts.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
One thing I will say though is I don’t get the mentality of “oh this leak is real I might as well stop hoping for my most wanted”. Like, you have pretty much nothing to lose by holding out hope. Sure, Banjo for example might not be in this pass, and there might only be one pass, but there’s absolutely nothing wrong for hoping he comes later. Keep hoping my guys.
but my dude, Layton is never gonna happen

KickleCubiclist

Smash Apprentice
I just feel like Nintendo has their fun with the older market by adding in Simon, Richter, and Joker, but the audience of Smash is mostly people under the age of 13. I don’t think the parents would be too happy about them being in Smash.
The only defense I can really see is that it’s DLC and you don’t have to buy it.
Actually, that’s a really good point...

just forget everything I just said.
You guys win.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'd rather have Master Chief or Tracer or a more modern icon of FPS, but Doomguy has his merits and certainly deserves to represent the genre.

I'm just also someone who wants the Bethesda Rep to be Vault Boy because that ************ has SOOOO much potential and could be humorous to boot.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Nobody wants to risk having their hopes crushed though. I can't blame them, **** makes you feel empty.

D

Deleted member

I just feel like Nintendo has their fun with the older market by adding in Simon, Richter, and Joker, but the audience of Smash is mostly people under the age of 13. I don’t think the parents would be too happy about them being in Smash.
The only defense I can really see is that it’s DLC and you don’t have to buy it.
Actually, that’s a really good point...

just forget everything I just said.
You guys win.
I know you literally conceded defeat, but I can’t feel satisfaction without spiting on the grave too.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
I'd rather have Master Chief or Tracer or a more modern icon of FPS, but Doomguy has his merits and certainly deserves to represent the genre.

I'm just also someone who wants the Bethesda Rep to be Vault Boy because that ************ has SOOOO much potential and could be humorous to boot.
final smash is a nuke, but once it becomes 2020 it stops working

Bionichute

Smash Champion
As much as I wany Layton, I feel like he will not even step a toe into smash

I hoped for layton once
i hoped a lot
then the smash direct happend and he didnt.
I legit almost cried
im still entirely convinced jibanyan is happening and you will all be sorry when he does

D

Deleted member

Nobody wants to risk having their hopes crushed though. I can't blame them, **** makes you feel empty.
I think people should stop taking this so seriously then. I think the problem is people start associating their most wanted with their own identity, so when they don’t get in it’s like am insult. But I’m no psychologist
This is ultimately just a game in the end.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Tons of the fighters in Smash are very clearly not for the younger audience to appreciate and enjoy.

Pac Man, Mr Game and Watch, R.O.B., Duck Hunt, etc for old school reasons etc.

Bayonetta, Joker, and Snake for being from M Rated games.

Last edited:

Snorkel the dolphin

Cetacean Gamer
Switch FC
SW 6666 6666 6666
You do realize this is a game where a homicidal flying dragon/lizard thing can fight against giant darkness monsters, Satan with wings, or literal ****ing Dracula who transforms into a demon, right?
None of that means anything, it's just fantasy stuff. Doomguy blows up demons into gibs and rips them apart with a chainsaw. They can't do that in Smash. So what would his moveset be? The plasma rifle or BFG? Snake and Bayonetta's weapons feel like Looney Tunes compared to the idea of Doomguy blasting Mario in the face with a double barreled shotgun.

As funny as that would be, I just really don't want to see a watered down, Doom 2016 "Doom Slayer" as an advertisement for an upcoming Bethesda game when they could go with the classic Doomguy instead

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
but my dude, Layton is never gonna happen
I wish Layton (and Phoenix) where at least acknowledged as Spirits if their not up for DLC. Especially if we are only getting this one wave.
For third party series that even Nintendo themselves sometimes treat as one of their own (eg the official Nintendo characters hub on their official websites that they still update to this day) It's kind of sad to not see them anywhere in Smash in any form whatsoever.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
imagine having a character you really want then all of a sudden dataminers literally find 1/3 of the name of that character's original game as a character file after joker but you have to restrain your hopes and dreams because there's a 99.9% chance it's erdrick instead

i realise this scenario is incredibly specific

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I think people should stop taking this so seriously then. I think the problem is people start associating their most wanted with their own identity, so when they don’t get in it’s like am insult. But I’m no psychologist
It’s a problem when you are very passionate about gaming. Buts it’s good advice to not get so emotionally invested.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Funny because ten years ago Ryu Hayabusa (and Erdrick - though much less suggested) would've been the only ones of the five generally embraced due to their closer ties to Nintendo. A DQ hero was raised very sporadically (in the west at least), but Ryu - much like Simon - was somewhat of a dark horse back in the day.

Joker and Doomguy owe a lot, as far as reception and acceptance, to the floodgates having already been thoroughly smashed. And Steve is Steve, who will be contentious always.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
People who solely support one character religiously are going to have a bad time in general

There are so many video game characters to choose from when it comes to a game like Smash

They've only got themselves to blame when they get mad that their 1 single character didn't make it in

D

Deleted member

None of that means anything, it's just fantasy stuff. Doomguy blows up demons into gibs and rips them apart with a chainsaw. They can't do that in Smash. So what would his moveset be? The plasma rifle or BFG? Snake and Bayonetta's weapons feel like Looney Tunes compared to the idea of Doomguy blasting Mario in the face with a double barreled shotgun.

As funny as that would be, I just really don't want to see a watered down, Doom 2016 "Doom Slayer" as an advertisement for an upcoming Bethesda game when they could go with the classic Doomguy instead
Tom and Jerry was violent as hell, imo.

And some of the Looney Tunes used literal guns.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm not sure how this DLC is "Japan pandering" frankly.

2 of the 5 supposed could be considered that in Erdrick and Joker, but, that's it.

Ninja Gaiden is still considered a classic NES game, especially in America.

Minecraft has worldwide appeal.

DOOM is DOOM.

You can call Erdrick and Joker it, fine I guess, but from where I'm sitting the split is way more in the West's favor here.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I wish Layton (and Phoenix) where at least acknowledged as Spirits if their not up for DLC. Especially if we are only getting this one wave.
For third party series that even Nintendo themselves sometimes treat as one of their own (eg the official Nintendo characters hub on their official websites that they still update to this day) It's kind of sad to not see them anywhere in Smash in any form whatsoever.
at this point, I highly doubt they will even be a spirit. No spirits, no music, no fighters

D

Deleted member

imagine having a character you really want then all of a sudden dataminers literally find 1/3 of the name of that character's original game as a character file after joker but you have to restrain your hopes and dreams because there's a 99.9% chance it's erdrick instead

i realise this scenario is incredibly specific
I think there’s a difference between expectations and hopes. Sure, expect it to be Erdrick, but you can always hope it’s Edea and you have nothing to lose.
Also Brave is 5/14ths of Bravely Default not a 1/3.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I agree, Smash is just a game. But hope means some investment, and some people would rather not put up with the potential disappointment.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Ah well. Hopefully we'll get a game announced this year to make up for it if this turns out true. And for Layton fans as well.
I want the damn loose ends that spans a decade ago to finally come to its conclusion after the writer shakeup.

Shroob

Sup?
I just kinda find it funny how across the pond over in Japan, the Japanese fans that are like us, aka watch the Directs, trailers, and post on imageboards, think this game is more catered to the WEST because it sells better here, while soo many people in the WEST think it's catered to the EAST.

We're completely on opposite ends of the spectrum.

D

Deleted member

I agree, Smash is just a game. But hope means some investment, and some people would rather not put up with the potential disappointment.
I just think people get invested way too much, but that’s another matter entirely.

D

Deleted member

Is everyone still on that rumor?

For me personally, I doubt it big time. Not because of the character choices, but because there's zero reason to believe it right now when nothing of any credible note is backing it up and most of its information is parroting what others have already been saying.

Shroob

Sup?
Is everyone still on that rumor?

For me personally, I doubt it big time. Not because of the character choices, but because there's zero reason to believe it right now when nothing of any credible note is backing it up and most of its information is parroting what others have already been saying.
On the same note however, without that rumor this place would be pretty dead.

Gives us something to discuss in the downtime between Directs if nothing else.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Honestly, I'm satisfied with the roster so far. I'd rather not have Ryu Hayabusa not appearing plague me, but at least I have my mind and imagination for solace.

Well, he's not out of it just yet...

Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord
its sad That I was the biggest layton rooter and now Im juat so deflated that I tell myself he is never happening
Chorus Kids wanter here to pay respects. I was so sure that Rhythm Heaven would finally make it's way in Smash, but Sakurai just decided to leave the series in the dust and that just makes me feel really discouraged.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
honestly i would just like some more characters created past the year 2000. i know that a lot of nintendo's most famous characters were created in the 80s/90s but they also have characters from past that too, and there are especially a decent number of third party characters from the last two decades that could probably be better than throwaway retro rep hayabusa
Characters created past the year 2000?
Okay, here.
Sora, Kingdom Hearts, 2002
2B, NieR Automata, 2017
Dante, Devil May Cry, 2001
Monster Hunter, 2004
And we already have Joker from Persona 5, which was released in 2016 and before him, Bayonetta which was released in 2009.

As for Nintendo, they've included several post-2000 characters already.
Dark Samus, Metroid Prime 2, 2004
Roy, Fire Emblem: Binding Blade, 2002
Lucina, Chrom, Robin, Fire Emblem Awakening, 2012
Dark Pit, Kid Icarus Uprising, 2012
Zero Suit Samus, Metroid Zero Mission, 2004
Ike, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, 2005
Lucas, Mother 3, 2006
Olimar, Pikmin, 2001 (Alph, Pikmin 3, 2013)
Lucario, Pokémon Diamond & Pearl, 2006
Toon Link, Zelda: Wind Waker, 2002
Villager, Animal Crossing, 2001
Wii Fit Trainer, Wii Fit, 2007
Rosalina & Luma, Super Mario Galaxy, 2007
Greninja, Pokémon X & Y, 2013
Shulk, Xenoblade Chronicles, 2010
Bowser Jr, Super Mario Sunshine, 2002
Corrin, Fire Emblem Fates, 2015
Inkling, Splatoon, 2017
Isabelle, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, 2012
Incineroar, Pokémon Sun & Moon, 2016
Miis, Wii, 2006

So, 25/77 (26/78 if counting Alph) characters are from the 00s+, 25/77 characters are from the 80s, and 27/77 (34/84 if you count the Koopalings) characters are from the 90s.
Going a little further, 14/77 are from the 00s and 11/77 (12/78 if counting Alph) are from the 2010s.
All-in-all considering how many series were created in the 80s and 90s and stayed relevant vs created in the 2000s on, this isn't really a bad spread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom