• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Like, it's almost as if crossovers put characters designed by different artists who won't have the same nuances to their styles at all together in the same place. I oversimplified my argument so people who think we have too many Ryus could understand it but you can't say that the Pokemon Trainer is in the same artstyle as, say, a FE character even if you'd simplify both of them as "anime style".
Crossovers that fail to recreate the original artstyles and instead opt for an unified one are almost always universally disliked. Just look at Jump Force and how everyone pretty much agrees on how ugly it looks. It doesn't just lack the appeal of the original designs but also prevents characters from standing out from one another.

I mean, do I need to remind any of you that this is a thing that works?
Hell, ITSV is also a good point for your argument.

The different artstyles made each Spider-person stand on itself more during the movie.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Not fitting with the artstyle has been the whole thing with Smash since the beginning, I'll never understand why it suddenly became a complaint. Even more in this day and age when the best 2018 movie(who will be the best 2019 movie for me) has three realistic spider-men/women pairing up with film noir spider-man, a cartoony pig spider-man and a gag-manga spider-woman.

Anyways
:ultmario::ultluigi: Cartoony humans with janky proportions
:ultsamus::ultfalcon::ultlink: Realistic proportioned or "Animay" style
:ultness: Cartoony kid who's the same size as the cartoony plumbers with eyes that have seen the void
:ultfox: Human proportioned anthropomorphized fox
:ultdk::ultyoshi::ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff: Cartoony animals with animalistic proportions
:ultkirby: literally what is this
Ok but now how can I say I don't want them without sounding petty as ****?

GameWatching

Smash Ace
You're likely right but he looks aesthetically so stupid. It is probably a disconnect between my generation and the newer generation. I didn't find Minecraft interesting at all. Banjo and Masterchief or more in tune with my generation. Frankly, my big beef with most of these characters is that they just look stupid and don't fit with the rest of the Smash cast.

Megaman, Sonic, Pacman, Simon Belmont, and Ryu all fit well with Pikachu, Mario, Kirby, Link, Donkey Kong, Star Fox. You take the original 8-12 characters and match them against the 5 proposed DLC and it just doesn't fit. Rayman, Banjo, Crash, Tails, etc. fit better with the original Smash cast.
Subjective. Many would be more pleased with Steve over Banjo as well.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Megaman, Sonic, Pacman, Simon Belmont, and Ryu all fit well with Pikachu, Mario, Kirby, Link, Donkey Kong, Star Fox. You take the original 8-12 characters and match them against the 5 proposed DLC and it just doesn't fit. Rayman, Banjo, Crash, Tails, etc. fit better with the original Smash cast.
Agree.. but what about Goemon T^T

D

Deleted member

It's amazing how many fights could be avoided on this board if people just owned up that they don't like something and not portray their not liking it as a fundamental law of the universe.
As someone who likes Dragon Quest, i agree a lot with your post.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
So can anyone clarify which's true?
-Data miners and some web sites state that the total number of music pieces are 1034! Is this really true?
-Data miners on an early stage of mining said the total number of videos in Smash were 17! Is that also true?
I almost done everything in the game (almost), and there seem no truth to either!

D

Deleted member

If this is the DLC wave then I would be VERY DISAPPOINTED and consider not buying it as well as any Nintendo system in the future. I am alright with Doomguy but the rest of these characters I have never heard of and don't care about. Knowing Nintendo's dumb decisions about the roster since the August direct, it probably is true. I have lost faith in the Smash development team.

Steve over Banjo or even Masterchief is just plain stupid and shows that Nintendo is out of touch with the fanbase and clearly doesn't read this board. I mean the Banjo support thread has 200 rows of posts while Steve has like 9. All over youtube & twitter, the reaction to Steve was very negative.

Ryu whatever his name is - Don't we have already a Ryu in the game?

Dragon Quest - This one doesn't bother me a lot but still another fantasy sword user which is addressed by Fire Emblem

Joker - This to me was the greatest offense because he is an obscure character and took up a spot from SEGA who has a lot better reps. A second Sonic the Hedgehog rep would have been more popular and fit Smash better.

Where is Rayman and Ubisoft representation? They have supported Nintendo forever and Sakurai keeps trolling this fanbase by putting in trophies (Smash 4) and Spirits (Ultimate). When is Nintendo or Sora going to stop being ******** to the Rayman fanbase and put him in the game. He fits VERY WELL with all the cartoony Nintendo characters and would have a VERY UNIQUE moveset. It makes too MUCH DAMN SENSE and I guess that is why Nintendo is being so stupid about it.

Where is Crash Bandicoot? Same as Rayman, another legend platform character on par with Kirby, Donkey Kong, and the other Nintendo characters that fits well with them.

I may just buy Doomguy and the Dragon Quest guy. However, I am hoping that this rumor isn't true.
xaog72y9fu521.jpg

I cannot tell if this is satire or not.

The fact that you may honestly think that Joker is a niche no name or that this website, which doesn't even make up like 3% of the playerbase, is representative of what everyone wants is...hoo boy.

Not bashing your character picks, but from a business and marketing perspective, all of those rumored characters would make a lot more waves and get a lot more hype. If you think for one second Steve's negative reception would be anything more than a tiny echo chamber, then I honestly think you need to look at this a little more objectively, and also look outside the "I'm cool because I hate something popular" echo chambers of the internet.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrPowerfulJeans

Smash Cadet
This is very random, but I had a dream last night, that the Angry Birds were an assist trophy.

When you summoned them, the structures appeared, and it turned into a standard game of Angry Birds. The birds would be automatically launched from the slingshot, towards the structures. If you were in the path of the destruction, you would take some serious damage

Is it bad that I want this to be a thing, now?
Honestly, if we ever get mobile representation in Smash, Angry Birds isn't a bad place to start.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
So can anyone clarify which's true?
-Data miners and some web sites state that the total number of music pieces are 1034! Is this really true?
-Data miners on an early stage of mining said the total number of videos in Smash were 17! Is that also true?
I almost done everything in the game (almost), and there seem no truth to either!
I can't find any evidence for any of this. Doesn't mean it isn't there but google fu is coming up empty.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Honestly though the most 'literal who' pick according to the rumoured 3 would be Hayabusa, but that's just my unfamiliarity with the franchise beyond the NES games, considering it's still alive and DOA is a thing I'm aware it's just me being out of the loop.

D

Deleted member

I dread to imagine what the game would look like if they did tbh
"We at Nintendo would like to announce Super Smash Bros.: Random 90s Characters Barely Anyone Remembers and Random Side Characters Only Hardcore Fans of A Series Knows About Edition!"

And this comes from someone who wants those characters, lol.

D

Deleted member

Honestly though the most 'literal who' pick according to the rumoured 3 would be Hayabusa, but that's just my unfamiliarity with the franchise beyond the NES games, considering it's still alive and DOA is a thing I'm aware it's just me being out of the loop.
The AVGN also made a cool video about Ninja Gaiden, so that also helps to remember the franchise.

"We at Nintendo would like to announce Super Smash Bros.: Random 90s Characters Barely Anyone Remembers and Random Side Characters Only Hardcore Fans of A Series Knows About Edition!"

And this comes from someone who wants those characters, lol.
Crash Bandicoot is still remembered a lot, doh.

The sales of N.Sane Trilogy are proof of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Not fitting with the artstyle has been the whole thing with Smash since the beginning, I'll never understand why it suddenly became a complaint. Even more in this day and age when the best 2018 movie(who will be the best 2019 movie for me) has three realistic spider-men/women pairing up with film noir spider-man, a cartoony pig spider-man and a gag-manga spider-woman.

Anyways
:ultmario::ultluigi: Cartoony humans with janky proportions
:ultsamus::ultfalcon::ultlink: Realistic proportioned or "Animay" style
:ultness: Cartoony kid who's the same size as the cartoony plumbers with eyes that have seen the void
:ultfox: Human proportioned anthropomorphized fox
:ultdk::ultyoshi::ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff: Cartoony animals with animalistic proportions
:ultkirby: literally what is this
Four years later, and this is still relevant:

It's amazing how many fights could be avoided on this board if people just owned up that they don't like something and not portray their not liking it as a fundamental law of the universe.
But then us mods would be out of a job. Can you imagine a world without moderators?

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
Whoever is added as DLC, I REALLY hope they paint their mural on the Smash website's art banner. I love to have a poster of it with all the DLC characters added.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
If this is the DLC wave then I would be VERY DISAPPOINTED and consider not buying it as well as any Nintendo system in the future. I am alright with Doomguy but the rest of these characters I have never heard of and don't care about. Knowing Nintendo's dumb decisions about the roster since the August direct, it probably is true. I have lost faith in the Smash development team.

Steve over Banjo or even Masterchief is just plain stupid and shows that Nintendo is out of touch with the fanbase and clearly doesn't read this board. I mean the Banjo support thread has 200 rows of posts while Steve has like 9. All over youtube & twitter, the reaction to Steve was very negative.

Ryu whatever his name is - Don't we have already a Ryu in the game?

Dragon Quest - This one doesn't bother me a lot but still another fantasy sword user which is addressed by Fire Emblem

Joker - This to me was the greatest offense because he is an obscure character and took up a spot from SEGA who has a lot better reps. A second Sonic the Hedgehog rep would have been more popular and fit Smash better.

Where is Rayman and Ubisoft representation? They have supported Nintendo forever and Sakurai keeps trolling this fanbase by putting in trophies (Smash 4) and Spirits (Ultimate). When is Nintendo or Sora going to stop being ******** to the Rayman fanbase and put him in the game. He fits VERY WELL with all the cartoony Nintendo characters and would have a VERY UNIQUE moveset. It makes too MUCH DAMN SENSE and I guess that is why Nintendo is being so stupid about it.

Where is Crash Bandicoot? Same as Rayman, another legend platform character on par with Kirby, Donkey Kong, and the other Nintendo characters that fits well with them.

I may just buy Doomguy and the Dragon Quest guy. However, I am hoping that this rumor isn't true.
Is nobody gonna bring up that you legit acted as if this gigantic echo chamber of a board is representative of the entire Smash community? Nintendo isn't out of touch for appealing more towards the young mainstream audience who make up a majority of the Smash playerbase. I myself would prefer Banjo over Steve, but Nintendo isn't wrong for choosing the more recognizable face.

Untouch

Smash Master
so if erdrick uses his NES design he isn't an anime swordsman, but if he uses his SNES design he is?
good to know

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
The AVGN also made a cool video about Ninja Gaiden, so that also helps to remember the franchise.
That's part of why I'm aware of the NES games' infamy, the other is every 2010 'Top 10 most annoying enemies in video games' having the birds and that Ninja Gaiden was the first game to have cutscenes and alongside Metal Gear, helped make some more detailed and coherent stories beyond "Baddie is a baddie and did bad things. Stop them!"

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
Ninja Gaiden Black and Ninja Gaiden 2 are some of the more fondly talked about games. You can get Black on modern gen consoles now.

D

Deleted member

Crash Bandicoot is still remembered a lot, doh.

The sales of N.Sane Trilogy are proof of it.
No offense intended, just a little lighthearted jab more so directed at myself (a LOT of my picks fit what I described, lol).

D

Deleted member

No offense intended, just a little lighthearted jab more so directed at myself (a LOT of my picks fit what I described, lol).
I'm not offended, so don't worry.

And it is true that there are characters like Klonoa who fit your description.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Not gonna lie, I don't really care for the DLC characters as I have personally not played much of their games, but I totally understand their impact/prominence and will certainly be excited for them and mostly the people that want them.

I can't help but want a few more Nintendo characters like Dixie, Elma, or BWD, though.

D

Deleted member

I'm not offended, so don't worry.

And it is true that there are characters like Klonoa who fit your description.
Characters being obscure doesn't mean they shouldn't be in, though. :)

I honestly believe people should support who they like. Klonoa would actually be pretty cool!

D

Deleted member

Characters being obscure doesn't mean they shouldn't be in, though. :)

I honestly believe people should support who they like. Klonoa would actually be pretty cool!
I completely agree.

It would be interesting to see the character’s gameplay translated into Smash.

volbound1700

Smash Master
User was warned for this post; double posting(Please edit your messages instead)
Gonna take a guess and say you only play Nintendo games?

The MC of an award winning JRPG that sold more 3 million (more than Sonic Forces btw) despite being only on PS4 (and a limited PS3 print run) sure as hell isn't obscure.
I have an Xbox one and Playstation 3. Games I play are Elder Scrolls, Halo, Fallout, etc. JRPGs are really obscure to most people. Not sure of the value of adding non-Nintendo JPRG characters.

Subjective. Many would be more pleased with Steve over Banjo as well.
I doubt it. Most people who play Minecraft don't know who Steve is. Steve got HUGE backlash when he was first announced on this board by all Smash fans. Similar, the backlash against him on youtube and twitter is high. If Steve was a wanted character, why didn't he place in the Smash poll?

Frankly, a Minecraft level would be enough to please the fans. I am surprised Nintendo just doesn't do a Minecraft Avatar as the character (similar to Villager or Robin).

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The way I see it is this.

My only disappointment with the rumored DLC list is that it's an all third party list without Crash. That doesn't mean, however, that the ones they did pick are bad picks. Hell, I actually PREFER Steve to Banjo by a long shot.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
I have an Xbox one and Playstation 3. Games I play are Elder Scrolls, Halo, Fallout, etc. JRPGs are really obscure to most people. Not sure of the value of adding non-Nintendo JPRG characters.
You have literally no idea just how much of a juggernaut DQ is over in Japan, do you?
Do you research anything before giving your Hot Opinions™ ?

I doubt it. Most people who play Minecraft don't know who Steve is. Steve got HUGE backlash when he was first announced on this board by all Smash fans. Similar, the backlash against him on youtube and twitter is high. If Steve was a wanted character, why didn't he place in the Smash poll?

Frankly, a Minecraft level would be enough to please the fans. I am surprised Nintendo just doesn't do a Minecraft Avatar as the character (similar to Villager or Robin).
STEVE IS THE MINECRAFT AVATAR

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Steve is everywhere in the marketing. Steve has tons of action figures produced of himself. His face is plastered on tons of clothes and merchandise. Every year, Steve gets mass produced Halloween costumes at places like WalMart and Party City.

To say "people know Minecraft but not Steve" just proves you're not arguing in good faith. Steve is more well known than most of the current roster, and basically all of the Nintendo characters not yet in (outside of maybe Toad, Waluigi, and certain Pokémon). That's a fact.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, like Final Fantasy, who? We can't allow a minority of games to invade Smash. Non-JRPG gamers, rise up!

EDIT: Also something something don't double post

Last edited:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
So Final Fantasy just doesn’t exist then?

D

Deleted member

Hatebases are always vocal but that doesn't mean they're the the majority. Unlike what people think, Steve being in Smash would be well-received by the majority. You don't become one of the biggest games of all time if people don't like you. While 30 year olds will be ******** in online boards, Steve's Fighter Pack will sell like water.
Ok but now how can I say I don't want them without sounding petty as ****?
Just say we have too many Ryus

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I mean, do I need to remind any of you that this is a thing that works?
Saying 'it works' is honestly highly subjective.

It works as in; it exists. But Sora's bright colourscheme alongside his anthromorphic duck and dog friends stands out in the doom and gloomy palettes of the Pirates world. Personally I think it looks jarring as hell...although not as weird as seeing Jack next to Donald Duck or Goofy.

maxresdefault KH2.jpg

Honestly looks awful, even ignoring the poor resolution issues of this screenshot.

However, at least they changed this horrific mesh up for KH3 with Sora, Donald and Goofy now matching the tone of the Pirates world:
maxresdefault KH3.jpg

Donald and Goofy still don't really look like they belong entirely(they look like wooden carvings at best), but at least that stark cartoon colours vs. realistic browns and greys has been removed and thus it feels like these characters could interact rather than one side being photoshopped into the world.

But hey, again, subjective.

That being said ignoring Kingdom Hearts and getting back to Smash Bros:

**** it; we had Samus Aran and Captain Falcon hanging out with Mario and Luigi and Ness with all being the same species and no one's claiming the original Smash 64 roster didn't work even though that's technically an aesthetic mess too(literally only saved by the limitations of graphics back then)

Bring on the Steve.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Oh, you can use Yoshi against me all ya want :yoshi:
unrelated, but I dig that new avatar of yours
Battleship (Based on the awful movie btw), Crash of the Titans (And Mind Over Mutant), some Nicktoons games, Madagascar, some other SpongeBob games, Prince Caspian (The DS version is awful from my experience), Toy Story 3 and some others.
Nickelodeon games back in the day were ****ing awesome
Four years later, and this is still relevant:

But then us mods would be out of a job. Can you imagine a world without moderators?
ah Awkward Zombie...memories p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom