• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I could not care less about Hayabusa, not to be rude but he quite literally means nothing to me. But i'm not seeing how he wouldn't be unique or how his inclusion wouldn't have merit.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
He has a sword you dingdong, he can do actual ninja things

Fire spells, duplications spells, the ability to attack while clinging to walls, that weird move that's basically Spin Attack from Metroid

If anything Ryu is more comparable than the Mii Swordfighter in a ninja outfit.

On that note, can you tell me the merit of :ultpichu::ultroy::ultchrom::ultcorrin::ulttoonlink::ultyounglink::ultzss:
sorry dude i would rather play as an actual creative ninja like greninja than a store bought kid's ninja costume

also, nothing, nothing, nothing, dragon transformation, nothing, nothing, whip

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Doomslayer
Erdrick
Joker (Confirmed)
Piranha Plant (Confirmed)
Ryu Hayabusa
Steve

How satisfied will you guys be if this is true?
Two of my top 5, so...pretty satisfied.

i don't like to say that a character has no merit to being in smash but what is hayabusa's merit to being in smash. what does he bring as a ninja that sheik and greninja do not
Two words:

Izuna. Drop.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Doomslayer
Erdrick
Joker (Confirmed)
Piranha Plant (Confirmed)
Ryu Hayabusa
Steve

How satisfied will you guys be if this is true?
I don’t play Erdrick but if he has alt swaps of the different heroes, I’m on board. Perhaps I should pick up Erdrick...what system is he on?

Ryu Hayabusa was one of my earlier wants back during pre-Smash 4 and I wouldn’t be too opposed but I would prefer someone different.

I don’t want Steve. Give me BK or the Chief or just kill me. Even if he has outfits that references them. Just no.

Dragonborn or Vault Boy gets my Bethesda vote but I would‘nt be too sad with Doomslayer in. But if Bayonetta’s inclusion was a bit too much for parents, I shudder to think about Doomslayer. I can even imagine having Hell as a stage and that be ok lol.

Also, lack of any first party (namely Elma) has me a bit meh.

Hoping there’s a second season.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
"Yūsha", means "Brave", which means "Hero"... Guys, Alm is in.

https://fireemblem.fandom.com/wiki/Hero_(Gaiden)

View attachment 185499
  • Title in FEH is "Hero of Prophecy"
  • The class he promotes to is the exclusive Hero class.
  • Average weight, run speed, can't wall jump, no jab lock, etc. If Erdrick fits the stats, Alm fits the stats.
  • Sakurai would jump at the opportunity to add a Gaiden character since he obviously likes it with all of the remixes pre-SoV it got in Smash.
/s
NOT BEFORE HIS slightly stupid GIRLFRIEND WHO IS BEST WAIFU

Bionichute

Smash Champion
I don’t play Erdrick but if he has alt swaps of the different heroes, I’m on board. Perhaps I should pick up Erdrick...what system is he on?

Ryu Hayabusa was one of my earlier wants back during pre-Smash 4 and I wouldn’t be too opposed but I would prefer someone different.

I don’t want Steve. Give me BK or the Chief or just kill me. Even if he has outfits that references them. Just no.

Dragonborn or Vault Boy gets my Bethesda vote but I would be too sad with Doomslayer in. But if Bayonetta’s inclusion was a bit too much for parents, I shudder to think about Doomslayer.

Also, lack of any first party (namely Elma) has me a bit meh.

Hoping there’s a second season.
i mean it isn't real so saying its meh is jumping the gun a bit

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
He has his Dragon Sword, so his fighting style already can differ based on that. Climbing walls also can be a unique trait, especially if the earlier games are accounted.

I don't see how he could be a copy of either of those two, however.
He has a sword you dingdong, he can do actual ninja things

Fire spells, duplications spells, the ability to attack while clinging to walls, that weird move that's basically Spin Attack from Metroid

If anything Ryu is more comparable than the Mii Swordfighter in a ninja outfit.

On that note, can you tell me the merit of :ultpichu::ultroy::ultchrom::ultcorrin::ulttoonlink::ultyounglink::ultzss:
I love how we're now using having a sword as a reason that differentiates a character, when we would once bemoan getting another sword character.

Not saying this to argue against Hayabusa, just find Smashboards humourous at times.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
sorry dude i would rather play as an actual creative ninja like greninja than a store bought kid's ninja costume

also, nothing, nothing, nothing, dragon transformation, nothing, nothing, whip
So your perception of this character has no merit , and yet you have a long list of characters that have zero merits and, by your logic, a reason :ultsimon::ultrichter: shouldn't be in Smash in the first place. You're ignoring the fact that Ryu Hayabusa is one of the main influences of modern ninja games and ninja-type characters, the only other similar person is Strider Hiryu.

You're saying he can't get in because of his basic roots that spanwed many of the modern ninjas you consider creative today? :073:

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Ryu is the original ninja. Sheik and Greninja are just 3D Era posers.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I love how we're now using having a sword as a reason that differentiates a character, when we would once bemoan getting another sword character.

Not saying this to argue against Hayabusa, just find Smashboards humourous at times.
Well I for one love swords, so I'm not getting your point. It still makes a difference. He would probably use a sword more than Sheik or Greninja just off of what he does.

Other weapons, such a shurikens, are at his disposal as well.

Edit: Well, nevermind. Got it.

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
joker/erdrick/doom guy/hayabusa/steve is legitimately worse than the smash 4 dlc and i actually like 3 out of 5 of those franchises

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
joker/erdrick/doom guy/hayabusa/steve is legitimately worse than the smash 4 dlc and i actually like 3 out of 5 of those franchises
- inspiration of SSBU functions
- rep of pioneer series
- rep of pioneer series
- rep of pioneer series
- rep of pioneer series

I see nothing wrong here?

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Well I for one love swords, so I'm not getting your point. It still makes a difference.
There is no real point. I just found it funny that in this context, having a sword was something Ryu Hayabusa could bring to the table.

In Smash 4, getting another sword character was often seen as a negative. Didn't matter how unique their moveset was/would be, people would easily dismiss them for having a sword.

D

Deleted member

Someone fill me in. Why are we giving the Steve/Doom Slayer/Ryu Hayabusa/Erdrick rumor the time of day again?

Do we have anything to back up the other three that aren't Erdrick, or no?

Bionichute

Smash Champion
- inspiration of SSBU functions
- rep of pioneer series
- rep of pioneer series
- rep of pioneer series
- rep of pioneer series

I see nothing wrong here?
none of these characters are at all on the same level as ryu and cloud as inclusions, smash 4's dlc also actually had any nintendo characters in it, even if it was the worst possible choice they could make. id take ****ing edelgard over steve or hayabusa any day because she's at least a ****ing nintendo character

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Someone fill me in. Why are we giving the Steve/Doom Slayer/Ryu Hayabusa/Erdrick rumor the time of day again?

Do we have anything to back up the other three that aren't Erdrick, or no?
The datamine seems to point to Erdrick and I guess the Steve/Doomguy/Hayabusa leak contains them, is interesting enough and not confirmed fake.

Shroob

Sup?
none of these characters are at all on the same level as ryu and cloud as inclusions, smash 4's dlc also actually had any nintendo characters in it, even if it was the worst possible choice they could make. id take ****ing edelgard over steve or hayabusa any day because she's at least a ****ing nintendo character
No, Minecraft, the 2nd highest grossing game of all time is less than a popular JRPG protagonist.

At this point, there are honestly no characters bigger than Cloud that could realistically get in aside from someone like Master Chief. Your bar is way too high.

Last edited:

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
As amazingly hilarious as Steve having a Master Chief costume would be, the extraneous details about Steve and Doomslayer have me pretty skeptical. How would this person not only know all of the DLC characters this early on, but also know their development history and Nintendo's specific reasoning for wanting to include them (not to mention confidential information on other company's projects and release schedules)? Plus, as I've heard others mention, why would Joker and presumably Erdrick be in the code already but not Steve if Steve was the first of the DLC characters planned and secured and originally intended for the main game?

Mind you I'm also a little confused as to how they couldn't show a single image of Joker, not even a render of his model, as of a month ago if he was worked on enough that at the time of the game's printing details such as his jab and speed were already done, but at least the datamined information seems pretty definitively true at this point, whereas the two aforementioned characters with the accompanying suspicious details have no such things in their favor.

Oh, and one last bit of food for thought about the Ryu, Steve, and Doomslayer claims in particular: that infamous Devil May Cry leaker that got so many things right last year confidently described Dante's Ultimate reveal trailer in detail based on his supposed first-hand experience watching it. Sadly, the only one crying now is Dante's Smash-playing fans (and maybe Bayonetta).

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Brave is a common translation for "Yusha" which is the general term for "Hero" and in context of video games, usually specifically Dragon Quest-type heroes (otherwise more specific codenames could be used)

He did mighty proud things after that...such as killing those gods

LetterO

Smash Lord
Imagine caring about what company owns a character instead of the company themselves.

I don't care how shocking or big Ryu and Cloud were. Doomguy, Hayabusa, and Steve are just more hype for me.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Your main complaint is that it's lacking in a Nintendo character when Nintendo themselves are the ones who gave the idea out? Also, I beg to differ.

Ryu Hayabusa introduced cutscenes to home console games.
Dragon Quest came a year prior for Final Fantasy, which had similar mechanics and innovated JRPGs
DOOM was a big thing, both positively and negatively for 3D shooters, FPS shooters, and the whole violent vidya thing
Do I even need to touch Minecraft?

To say they aren't influences on the gaming industry is being blind to your own biases.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Lets be honest this does look like a selection that Nintendo would pick considering the gaming history they all have.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Your main complaint is that it's lacking in a Nintendo character when Nintendo themselves are the ones who gave the idea out? Also, I beg to differ.

Ryu Hayabusa introduced cutscenes to home console games.
Dragon Quest came a year prior for Final Fantasy, which had similar mechanics and innovated JRPGs
DOOM was a big thing, both positively and negatively for 3D shooters, FPS shooters, and the whole violent vidya thing
Do I even need to touch Minecraft?

To say they aren't influences on the gaming industry is being blind to your own biases.
i forgot about dragon quest when i posted that sorry

doom ain't getting in because of that whole reason, minecraft would just suck despite what you people say, and hayabusa is generic and boring. sorry for my biases not being your biases

Shroob

Sup?
I don't believe this rumor for a second.

But as someone like me who loves to nerd it out over video game history, and actually loves that Smash has been turning into a gaming hall of fame over the last three installments, it's very easy to see these 3 stand on their own legs easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom