• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Tbh I think the Tac spirit situation is just a really, really unfortunate coincidence. I honestly doubt that the designers of the battle had racist intentions in mind. Now, why they chose the dark skinned villager when the villager with the black and yellow striped shirt obviously fit Tac's color scheme way better, I don't know. But context is important, and I'd rather not immediately assume racist intentions from this since we don't know what they were thinking when they made this battle.

I wouldn't be against a patch switching the color to the black and yellow alt though.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Hey guys whats u-
*Notices that everyone's talking about racism in a smash bros thread*
Um... i'm just gonna post this and leave

Which scenario do you prefer
Scenario A: Joker, 2B, Nate & Yokai, Crash Bandicoot, and Cuphead
Scenario B: Joker, Luminary, Edelgard, Heihachi, and Kratos
Scenario C: Joker, Sora, Agumon, Sylux, and Banjo n Kazooie
Scenario D: Joker, Erdrick, Professor Layton, KOS-MOS, and Steve

D

Deleted member

[

in all due respect, as a black person who finds nothing wrong with these spirtis, stop. just stop it. If I wasnt being respectful and holding back, id say "shut up"
The fact that a lot of people here only believe in discrimination for gender and race, and not in other ways... Is worrying to me.

D

Deleted member

signal out ten characters you really like playing as and then just use them

also i'm working on a general range guide for every attack in the game using the training stage's blocks as a guide! did you know that pac-man's key actually HAS A RANGE LIMIT? it only goes 14 blocks before it disappears, which is longer than the screen covers on most stages!
That's actually what I've been doing! As you can see down in my sig, I'm slowly working on narrowing it down to 10 characters I enjoy, which is pretty close to how I played Smash 3DS and Wii U. I'm getting there, but I need to try more characters; I haven't even gotten through half of the cast yet!

That's really interesting stuff about Pac-Man. I've seen some crazy stuff with him and what little I've played has made me interested, so he's one I gotta check out more for sure.

I'm never going to question who my main is; I've been waiting for Dark Samus for 14 years. But I like Ridley, too, especially since he has a Meta Ridley skin and is a much more straightforward character as opposed to the more technical characters I've been used to playing. And I'll never put my boy R.O.B. down, either, and I still love Dedede, so I've got a solid set of four characters that I love. Big fan of Richter, too, but I have to learn how to play him better. And on the periphery, I still play Toon Link, Snake, Mega Man, Jigglypuff, and Ganondorf, although I preferred Ganondorf's smash attacks in 4, even though he has the sword in this game.

Really loving Ultimate and its cast, safe to say. It'll definitely be the game that I and countless others will never fully put away, no matter what future games hold.
DS is super fun, and is another character that surprised me. I figured the Samuses were gonna suck, but they actually feel really good in this game. I personally like DS more than regular Samus simply because I like the floatier physics and Metroid Prime 2 is my favorite Metroid. Ridley was a very welcome surprise! I was not expecting to like him at all, but he feels like one of the better heavies. Definitely like bringing him out every now and then.

I couldn't get into the Belmonts, unfortunately. I thought I enjoyed them after using them a little bit, but as time went on they just didn't click with me. I like Dedede a lot; Spiky Gordo is actually usable now and his inhale can be used to create openings for forward Smash or to shoot back a deflected Gordo, so that's cool. Snake is a character I struggle fighting against, as his stage control is extremely scary. Pichu is a character I'm heavily considering right now, as well as Mewtwo.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Hey guys whats u-

I prefer Scenario A.

And i apologize, but i hate it when people take my experience with discrimination as a joke.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Tbh I think the Tac spirit situation is just a really, really unfortunate coincidence. I honestly doubt that the designers of the battle had racist intentions in mind. Now, why they chose the dark skinned villager when the villager with the black and yellow striped shirt obviously fit Tac's color scheme way better, I don't know. But context is important, and I'd rather not immediately assume racist intentions from this since we don't know what they were thinking when they made this battle.

I wouldn't be against a patch switching the color to the black and yellow alt though.
My only guess is they did go with...well, the dark one, since Tac has a pretty dark color scheme. But yeah, bee colors would be a better fit.

Side note: I'm kinda surprised how many discrimination controversies Spirits created.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
User was warned for this post; flaming
[

in all due respect, as a black person who finds nothing wrong with these spirtis, stop. just stop it. If I wasnt being respectful and holding back, id say "shut up"
Your words mean **** all, you're a well known apathetic asshole who doesn't care for anything.
Just because you don't find anything wrong doesn't mean they aren't problematic.

D

Deleted member

My only guess is they did go with...well, the dark one, since Tac has a pretty dark color scheme. But yeah, bee colors would be a better fit.

Side note: I'm kinda surprised how many discrimination controversies Spirits created.
I am surprised about people here taking me so much as a joke or an asshole.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I’m imagining an alternate universe where instead of Kingdom Battle being Mario + Rabbids, it’s Mario + Banjo-Kazooie. Still would hate it because it’s a tactics game, but the difference is, this time I’d actually have bought it.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
That's actually what I've been doing! As you can see down in my sig, I'm slowly working on narrowing it down to 10 characters I enjoy, which is pretty close to how I played Smash 3DS and Wii U. I'm getting there, but I need to try more characters; I haven't even gotten through half of the cast yet!

That's really interesting stuff about Pac-Man. I've seen some crazy stuff with him and what little I've played has made me interested, so he's one I gotta checck out more for sure.
his fire hydrant has a set distance of 16 blocks of distance when launched as a projectile. i might have to test it, but i think the only stage you'd ever be able to see that on is bridge of eldin

osby

Smash Obsessed
Hey guys whats u-

Scenario D sounds pretty good.

The fact that a lot of people here only believe in discrimination for gender and race, and not in other ways... Is worrying to me.
There is a difference between discrimination and just people acting like jerks.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I am a little disappointed that DLC costumes aren't very likely tbh

Like, not only do a lot of the characters do have a lot of pretty good canon outfits, it'd be fun to see seasonal outfits too. Imagine Ultimate Beach Episode Halloween

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335

Like, not only do a lot of the characters do have a lot of pretty good canon outfits, it'd be fun to see seasonal outfits too. Imagine Ultimate Beach Episode Halloween
sakurai cutting off a great potential source of DLC revenue just because they needed the 8-skin selection UI to look good smh

LetterO

Smash Lord
It doesn't need to be twisted, it's pretty ****ing blatant to anyone with a working brain.
I just explained how it's clearly a reference to their characters, and not their skin colors.

It was clearly not supposed to be racist. You are one of the people who are making it seem like racism. Somebody with a working brain wouldn't be making this big a deal over a Spirit battle that references the characters well just because "MONKEY AND BLACK GUY... RACISM!!!"

I'm done with the argument. You clearly just wanna keep complaining and twisting this into racism.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Scenario D sounds pretty good.

There is a difference between discrimination and just people acting like jerks.
Trust me.

It wasn't just about being jerks.

It was and still is worse than that.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Your words mean **** all, you're a well known apathetic ******* who doesn't care for anything.
Just because you don't find anything wrong doesn't mean they aren't problematic.

You're reaching and making them problematic though.

THAT'S the real problem here.

That's the problem with a lot of situations in this world today and why we ended up with an idiot like Trump as President.

Ya'll brought that on us by making the ACTUAL racists sick to the point they put him in office, because ya'll are always trying to find things to be offended about when there was never offense intended.

And I say this as a gay man who has actually been bullied and had actual offensive **** said to me to my face.

There's nothing wrong with those Spirits unless you yourself look for the racist intent. Which in turns reveals a problem about YOU. Not Nintendo or Sakurai or his team.

D

Deleted member

I'd throw my wallet at the screen for an Octoling skin for Inklings.

Also, gimme all those DLC costumes for Joker, please. Especially the P4 ones.

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed
It doesn't need to be twisted, it's pretty ****ing blatant to anyone with a working brain.

...or to anyone that is actually aware of the context. People who comes from a country with very little black population is significantly less likely to be know this.

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
Excuse you. I don't advocate racism in the slightest bit. Me criticizing a site know for toxic and piece of **** people somehow makes me racist now? Nice logic there, moron.
Nice insult there, your totally not being a jerk.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Hey guys whats u-

*sees Layton*
D, mother****ing D!:250:
even tho i hate the Minecraft dude

LetterO

Smash Lord
Hey guys whats u-

Scenario A

I don't care about Nate and 2B, but Crash and Cuphead are enough for me to throw my wallet at Nintendo

D

Deleted member

You're reaching and making them problematic though.

THAT'S the real problem here.

That's the problem with a lot of situations in this world today and why we ended up with an idiot like Trump as President.

Ya'll brought that on us by making the ACTUAL racists sick to the point they put him in office, because ya'll are always trying to find things to be offended about when there was never offense intended.

And I say this as a gay man who has actually been bullied and had actual offensive **** said to me to my face.

There's nothing wrong with those Spirits unless you yourself look for the racist intent. Which in turns reveals a problem about YOU. Not Nintendo or Sakurai or his team.
I have been discriminated for my voice too, and lived the same stuff that you commented, alongside more.

And yes, i didn't even care about it in the first place, because i wasn't looking too much into it.

D

Deleted member

So how is W a r i o in this game hmm? :3
I like him, but I'm kind of undecided if I'll be playing him or not. I mained him in Smash since Brawl, so I've kiiiiinda been playing him for a while, lol. Kinda feel like focusing on other characters in Ultimate for now.

D

Deleted member

Ergo not meant for you in the first place.
Yet you replied to it as if you felt targeted.

Something something don't throw stones in a glass house

Lmao, I replied to you because I think your being dumb. Exceptionally so. I do not feel targeted in any way.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I just explained how it's clearly a reference to their characters, and not their skin colors.

It was clearly not supposed to be racist. You are one of the people who are making it seem like racism. Somebody with a working brain wouldn't be making this big a deal over a Spirit battle that references the characters well just because "MONKEY AND BLACK GUY... RACISM!!!"
Of ****ing course it wasn't intended to be racist, Diddy is a good fit for Dee Jay, but representing a black character with a chimpanzee is absolutely problematic. There's multiple layers to it.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
sakurai cutting off a great potential source of DLC revenue just because they needed the 8-skin selection UI to look good smh
I'd throw my wallet at the screen for an Octoling skin for Inklings.

Also, gimme all those DLC costumes for Joker, please. Especially the P4 ones.
Prettttty much.
There's a whole lot of potential there. I mean, people will obviously complain about it but people complain about everything.

Like, imagine different trainer skins for PT or something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom