• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

The F-Zero Medley rocks too.

And i like the versions of Simon’s Theme from SC4 that we got in Ultimate.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm not saying I want to hear a remix of Aria of the Soul where the choir is Snake's star KO scream, but I totally want to hear a remix of Aria of the Soul where the choir is Snake's star KO scream
I mean, don't we all?

Also, I know even getting stuff from P3/P4 would be a stretch, but I still want tracks from Persona 3 movies aka Sound of the Beast.

D

Deleted member

nothing beats a throwdown between ridley and ganondorf while EVERYBODY RING-A-DING, DON'T YOU WAIT JUST JUMP JUMP UP blasts in the background
The Smash Idol Group is as follows:

Yellow Ridley
Pink K. Rool
Purple Ganon
Green Bowser
Pastel Pink and Blue Wario

Have them all dance to this song on Town and City.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
So I beat World of Light this morning. Ended with 100% since I went out of my way to fight everything on every map cause I wanted to unlock stuff on the ability chart.

Spoilering some things below since I'm not sure if everyone's still doing that around here.

I actually think the mode becomes a lot more interesting once you get to The Dark Realm, but the best part is easily The Final Battle. Makes sense that Palutena and Bayonetta are the final two characters you save considering everything going on, but I wasn't expecting to free Master Hand and Crazy from Galeem and Dharkon's control. Even MORE than that, Master Hand sticking around to help for a bit and us getting to PLAY as him after all of these years without some glitch, cheat or mod!? That was absolutely fantastic. And the build up for you climbing your way up to where Galeem and Dharkon are and then doing a good old fashioned Boss Rush? I really liked that a lot. For those of you reading those that have beaten the mode already, who was your final team for this part? I decided to go a little personal with it and make it Mario, Sonic and Mega Man. Aside from the "Three Kings of Platforming" shtick, they were my three childhood heroes and the entire reason I got into gaming. I've always wanted a game or a story where all three of them teamed up to take down some huge threat and this was the perfect chance to finally make that happen. I couldn't pass it up. Also, that 3-way fight, though. That was a very cool concept and it was executed very well without feeling balls-to-the-wall difficult or way too easy. I ended up cycling through everyone, but I somehow got an extra stock and ended up finishing off Galeem and Dharkon at the same time with the good ol' Super Jump Punch. Felt super satisfying.

All in all, I do think WoL went on WAY longer than it needed to, but it didn't get boring for me like FighterZ Story Mode did since the matches kept switching things up and the gameplay still felt really engaging, even when the CPUs were being total BS. There should have been more cutscenes, though. That's where FighterZ did better as keeping my interest in a different way. I guess they're both opposites. FighterZ had the cutscenes and characters moments/interactions while WoL had the gameplay and interesting scenarios. It basically felt like "Event Matches: The Campaign". I suppose that both helps and hinders it, but in the end, I did enjoy it very much. I might do New Game+, but not anytime soon. Gonna just play normal Smash matches and work on Classic Mode.

Gotta say, though, I REALLY love this game so much. There are problems I have with it, but I'm still having a great time and don't find myself hating to play it like I did with Smash 4. I don't think I'll have any interest in playing any new Smash games after this one, though. It's way too hard to top.

D

Deleted member

To that end, I suppose there would be nothing truer to Waluigi's character than being an assist trophy and fulfill the role he was given in the first place.
Same could be said for Isabelle, yet...
...that literal ***** is playable now.

There is no excuse.

Graizen

Smash Champion
It would seam we have reached an Impass.
Heres the point in my favor.

Lloyd is a Sword user, and he uses tons of Sword skills in his game.
We have alot of Sword users in Smash now.

Agumon would be a more unique character.

Last edited:

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
True, I neglected to include the PS3 version's sales. Honestly forgot they even released a PS3 version.
Ironic considering it was developed for PS3 and just upported to PS4 late in development.

As for Dragon Quest stuff... meh. Would feel kinda anticlimactic.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
I never really understood why so many people want Waluigi

We're still missing Toad and Paper Mario, and Waluigi is a literal who who just showed up to play tennis one day

If we're getting spinoff characters (that have their own moveset; Daisy is an echo so she's a freebie) before actually important characters? :/

and Birdo > Waluigi

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
It’s oddly strange that Xenoblade is in the position as Sonic soundtrack wise.

Only 1 remix from a previous game with the rest being ripped from their games.

Waluigi = Literal Who

This again....

Last edited:

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
It’s oddly strange that Xenoblade is in the position as Sonic soundtrack wise.

Only 1 remix from a previous game with the rest being ripped from their games.

Waluigi = Literal Who

This again....
We know that both those series are more popular in the West and in Japan. We also know that, at least for Ultimate, composers had a fair bit of leeway in terms of what music they'd re-arrange.

Keep in mind, Wario and Kid Icarus also got nothing-- games that are historically more popular in the West than they are in Japan (to the point Kid Icarus: of Myths and Monsters was made exclusively for a Western audience and wasn't originally released in Japan).

So I think it's mostly on a lack of nostalgia/familiarity for the series among the composers.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
It’s bad enough Sakurai ignores Wario Land but the Wario series has been neglected since Smash 4 only with a mediocre stage and a few ripped tracks.

It’s a bit disappointing there’s no KI remixes but I’m glad he toned down the content especially since we complained about it so much.

D

Deleted member

I never really understood why so many people want Waluigi

We're still missing Toad and Paper Mario, and Waluigi is a literal who who just showed up to play tennis one day

If we're getting spinoff characters (that have their own moveset; Daisy is an echo so she's a freebie) before actually important characters? :/

and Birdo > Waluigi
The problem there is trying to say a character is "more important" than another.

Those are all spin-off characters. And if we're gonna play the importance game, Waluigi has had more playable roles than Paper Mario.

D

Deleted member

Metroid got some love in Ultimate taking out the competitive and tier stuff, i guess.

A lot of music, two newcomers, good alts for Ridley, great covers, every stage but two returning, the selection of spirits, etc...

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
The problem there is trying to say a character is "more important" than another.

Those are all spin-off characters. And if we're gonna play the importance game, Waluigi has had more playable roles than Paper Mario.
Toad and Paper Mario are by far more important to the series than Waluigi, who is a spinoff character because that's all he ever shows up in. Toad and PM both have games in their title and to themselves. If Waluigi gets that then maybe I'll be more open to him in Smash. But until then I don't think he stands a chance against Toad or Paper Mario, or even others like King Boo.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You know people just use "literal who" to describe characters they do like when they use it for Waluigi.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
So I beat World of Light this morning. Ended with 100% since I went out of my way to fight everything on every map cause I wanted to unlock stuff on the ability chart.

Spoilering some things below since I'm not sure if everyone's still doing that around here.

I actually think the mode becomes a lot more interesting once you get to The Dark Realm, but the best part is easily The Final Battle. Makes sense that Palutena and Bayonetta are the final two characters you save considering everything going on, but I wasn't expecting to free Master Hand and Crazy from Galeem and Dharkon's control. Even MORE than that, Master Hand sticking around to help for a bit and us getting to PLAY as him after all of these years without some glitch, cheat or mod!? That was absolutely fantastic. And the build up for you climbing your way up to where Galeem and Dharkon are and then doing a good old fashioned Boss Rush? I really liked that a lot. For those of you reading those that have beaten the mode already, who was your final team for this part? I decided to go a little personal with it and make it Mario, Sonic and Mega Man. Aside from the "Three Kings of Platforming" shtick, they were my three childhood heroes and the entire reason I got into gaming. I've always wanted a game or a story where all three of them teamed up to take down some huge threat and this was the perfect chance to finally make that happen. I couldn't pass it up. Also, that 3-way fight, though. That was a very cool concept and it was executed very well without feeling balls-to-the-wall difficult or way too easy. I ended up cycling through everyone, but I somehow got an extra stock and ended up finishing off Galeem and Dharkon at the same time with the good ol' Super Jump Punch. Felt super satisfying.

All in all, I do think WoL went on WAY longer than it needed to, but it didn't get boring for me like FighterZ Story Mode did since the matches kept switching things up and the gameplay still felt really engaging, even when the CPUs were being total BS. There should have been more cutscenes, though. That's where FighterZ did better as keeping my interest in a different way. I guess they're both opposites. FighterZ had the cutscenes and characters moments/interactions while WoL had the gameplay and interesting scenarios. It basically felt like "Event Matches: The Campaign". I suppose that both helps and hinders it, but in the end, I did enjoy it very much. I might do New Game+, but not anytime soon. Gonna just play normal Smash matches and work on Classic Mode.

Gotta say, though, I REALLY love this game so much. There are problems I have with it, but I'm still having a great time and don't find myself hating to play it like I did with Smash 4. I don't think I'll have any interest in playing any new Smash games after this one, though. It's way too hard to top.
The way the final map was designed was just despicable to me. It REEKED of unnecessary padding. You fight each hand twice, then you have to walk back and forth on the map to make sure all the stuff is balanced, then after all that, you finally get to the end and you think you have to do the boss fight, but nope, you just do Icicle mountain from melee and fight people every so often. AND THEN you fight the final boss right? NOPE, they do a boss rush.

WoL was already full of design choices that artificially lengthened the game but that final stretch made it so obvious that they were just stalling

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
You know people just use "literal who" to describe characters they do like when they use it for Waluigi.
I'm not saying literal who as in people don't know him. I'm saying it in the context of the series, because Waluigi is underdeveloped. He just showed up one day with no explanation and hasn't done anything besides tennis and gokarting. That's why I called him a literal who.

D

Deleted member

I'm not saying literal who as in people don't know him. I'm saying it in the context of the series, because Waluigi is underdeveloped. He just showed up one day with no explanation and hasn't done anything besides tennis and gokarting. That's why I called him a literal who.
So like every Mario character ever?

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
So like every Mario character ever?
Everyone usually has some context. Peach is the princess, Daisy is too (although Sarasaland really needs to show up again...), Bowser's the baddie, Jr.'s his son, etc...

Waluigi just went "tennis?" and here he has been for the past years. Because he was made just so Wario had a partner.

D

Deleted member

If every character in Smash had to be this huge icon in gaming, we wouldn't have 70% of the roster we do now.

People really like to oversell how big some of the smaller franchises in Smash are.

D

Deleted member

Everyone usually has some context. Peach is the princess, Daisy is too (although Sarasaland really needs to show up again...), Bowser's the baddie, Jr.'s his son, etc...

Waluigi just went "tennis?" and here he has been for the past years. Because he was made just so Wario had a partner.
No one in Mario has deep characterization because that isn't the point of Mario at all. Mario doesn't have deep lore with deep characters that need explanations and motives.

It's a franchise about an italian plumber who jumps on turtles and saves a princess. Luigi only exists so that there could be a player two.

D

Deleted member

Toad's forever going to be part of Peach's (and Daisy's now) moveset.

As much as a "never-ever" Waluigi is due to continued Assist role, Toad is even worse in that regard.
Same exact role since Melee with the only change being that he's more active in his role and even shows up for throws instead of being an unwilling meat shield.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom