• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
A lot of people and gamers for some reason pick one company and they just.....stick to it. They die hard stan it and anything outside of it is gross and icky. Though it's a particular problem with Nintendo fans more than anyone I've noticed.
It really is.

Hell, I remember when ****ing Smashchu pre-Smash 4 days went on a tyrade about how "3rd parties were ruining the PURITY of Smash".

Purity of Smash? My god that sounds like some white supremacy bull****. It's a goddamn video game.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
A lot of people and gamers for some reason pick one company and they just.....stick to it. They die hard stan it and anything outside of it is gross and icky. Though it's a particular problem with Nintendo fans more than anyone I've noticed.
That is odd. Like, I am an HUGE Mario fan. But I still wanted Joker in.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Guys, I found an easy way to beat the Snorlax spirit.

Lucario + Shantae Spirit (Lv. 50+, Magic Attack ↑) [Any Green Spirit with 3 Slots of comparable power will do, tbh] + Fi (Neutral Special ↑) + Merric (Aura Attack ↑) + Off the Hook (Undamaged Attack & Speed ↑)

Run up to K. Rool, turn around, Aura Sphere.

Wait.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I think people upset at Joker need to view all the quotes considering Smash a study in video game history, wanting it to be the greatest crossover of beloved and iconic franchises.

I've yet to play a Persona and a friend is share playing Persona 5 with me at some point this week, but I'd certainly heard of the franchise and I know it's certainly beloved. So when he was revealed my reaction was literally ''Well, there's gonna be some really happy people about this."

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
I think people upset at Joker need to view all the quotes considering Smash a study in video game history, wanting it to be the greatest crossover of beloved and iconic franchises.

I've yet to play a Persona and a friend is share playing Persona 5 with me at some point this week, but I'd certainly heard of the franchise and I know it's certainly beloved. So when he was revealed my reaction was literally ''Well, there's gonna be some really happy people about this."
Did you like it?

Shroob

Sup?

That, and ATLUS has been making games for Nintendo as far back as the Famicon.

Even though Shin Megami Tensei is their OG series, I'm sorry Idon, Persona is just way more mainstream, it makes sense why they chose it over SMT, to me at least.

Persona doesn't have much a history with Nintendo, but ATLUS and Shin Megami Tensei sure as hell do.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If you are only interested in gameplay, why do you care about console appearances so much?

Also, "no Nintendo appearance"="advertisement" logic is stupid. If Nintendo wants to just promote something, they would choose a character from their games, like Corrin.

Plus, for a character that is "just advertisement and pure business deal", Joker got surprisingly positive reaction. It's almost like fans wanted to see him in the game. Hm...
Oh sure there must be fans. Persona always did well I guess, if for nothing else that they have 5 games already. I am also not ONLY interessted in gameplay, I was just pointing out that it's very hard to get excited for a character like this when you don't know him. I already dislike just about any 3rd party character unless they have strong ties with Nintendo, say; Rayman, Banjo-Kazooie, Shantae, Bomberman... those sort of characters, This Joker is literally from a franchise that originated on a different home console, and that's up untill now the most "far out there" character in the game. Even Cloud has more connection with Nintendo due to various cameos and Final Fantasy originating on Nintendo.

I didn't only say advertisement, I also said business deal. And that is exactly what Joker is. Cloud too. Corrin however, that was purely advertisement and probably one of the very few Smash characters that got in for this reason. I can still dislike the addition. Don't tell me what my opinion should be.

Shroob

Sup?
Oh sure there must be fans. Persona always did well I guess, if for nothing else that they have 5 games already. I am also not ONLY interessted in gameplay, I was just pointing out that it's very hard to get excited for a character like this when you don't know him. I already dislike just about any 3rd party character unless they have strong ties with Nintendo, say; Rayman, Banjo-Kazooie, Shantae, Bomberman... those sort of characters, This Joker is literally from a franchise that originated on a different home console, and that's up untill now the most "far out there" character in the game. Even Cloud has more connection with Nintendo due to various cameos and Final Fantasy originating on Nintendo.

I didn't only say advertisement, I also said business deal. And that is exactly what Joker is. Cloud too. Corrin however, that was purely advertisement and probably one of the very few Smash characters that got in for this reason. I can still dislike the addition. Don't tell me what my opinion should be.

You're 50% right.

Persona yes started on Playstation.

However, Persona is a spin off of Shin Megami Tensei, it's even in the name: Shin Megami Tensei: Persona.

Shin Megami Tensei has ridiculously strong roots with Nintendo, starting on the Famicon, it's just that until the 2000s, almost none of its games came stateside for the most part, mostly due to the religious imagery I'd have to guess.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
User was warned for this post; double posting(Please edit your messages instead)
It really is.

Hell, I remember when ****ing Smashchu pre-Smash 4 days went on a tyrade about how "3rd parties were ruining the PURITY of Smash".

Purity of Smash? My god that sounds like some white supremacy bull****. It's a goddamn video game.
And now you are just taking things out of extreme porportions.

So just because SmashChu choose to word his opinion in that way, you are comparing him with some racist ****ry?

Just wtf... I can't even.

You're 50% right.

However, Persona is a spin off of Shin Megami Tensei, it's even in the name: Shin Megami Tensei: Persona.

Shin Megami Tensei has ridiculously strong roots with Nintendo, starting on the Famicon, it's just that until the 2000s, almost none of its games came stateside for the most part, mostly due to the religious imagery I'd have to guess.
That same religious imagery is also in Bayonetta right? But okay that clears things up a little. Still, I don't like the character, and I don't have to.

Shroob

Sup?

So just because SmashChu choose to word his opinion in that way, you are comparing him with some racist ****ry?

There is literally no way to take "Third party characters are ruining the purity of Smash, they need to be purged from the roster" without reading it as racist, especially since, surprise, Smashchu has been known to say things related to white supremacy in the past.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
That, and ATLUS has been making games for Nintendo as far back as the Famicon.

Even though Shin Megami Tensei is their OG series, I'm sorry Idon, Persona is just way more mainstream, it makes sense why they chose it over SMT, to me at least.

Persona doesn't have much a history with Nintendo, but ATLUS and Shin Megami Tensei sure as hell do.
Hey man.
I've gotten used to it.

Atlus hasn't given a damn about anything that isn't Persona since they've discovered otaku culture. SMT4, SMT4A, SMTxFE, SMTV, all gimped to push Persona 4 and 5 and their spinoffs.
I've lived to see that series be the face of the company to an afterthought.

You're 50% right.

Ha, SMT is only in the name because of Atlus USA localizing all Megaten games in the PS2 era banking off a connection with Nocturne. In reality they're more sister series than spinoff. In fact SMT hasn't been attached to Persona since base Persona 4 and was never called SMT in Japan.

Also, like, P5 has a ton of religious imagery.
Like Makoto's persona is the pope. And Joker's ultimate is a Satan variant.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

I'm not telling you what your opinion should be. But if you think which consoles a character appeared is more important than them, you might want to be disappointed more in future and it's not anyone's fault but yourself.

Shroob

Sup?
Hey man.
I've gotten used to it.

Atlus hasn't given a damn about anything that isn't Persona since they've discovered otaku culture. SMT4, SMT4A, SMTxFE, SMTV, all gimped to push Persona 4 and 5 and their spinoffs.

Ha, SMT is only in the name because of Atlus USA localizing all Megaten games in the PS2 era banking off a connection with Nocturne. In reality they're more sister series than spinoff. In fact SMT hasn't been attached to Persona since base Persona 4 and was never called SMT in Japan.

Also, like, P5 has a ton of religious imagery.
Like Makoto's persona is the pope. And Joker's ultimate is a Satan variant.
I mean, yeah, but I'm also moreso comparing 1980's America to modern day america.

If something like Night Trap was too extreme for "The Kids", there's no way in hell we'd have ever gotten SMT 1+2 back in the NES days.

osby

Smash Obsessed

It's a similar train of thought. Nobody should decide what is "pure" and what is not, this is giving yourself too much credit.

Hey man.
I've gotten used to it.

I've lived to see that series be the face of the company to an afterthought.
Wow, it's been a while since I saw SMT fan self-victimizing because Persona got something. Feels nostalgic.

Last edited:

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
You're 50% right.

also smt4 and 5 are nintendo exclusive games, with 4 being on the 3ds, and while they could have used flynn, the mc from that game joker is just way more popular and recognizable to people

Shroob

Sup?
It's a similar train of thought. Nobody should decide what is "pure" and what is not, this is giving yourself too much credit.

Wow, it's been a while since I saw SMT fan self-victimizing because Persona got something. Feels nostalgic.
To be fair, Persona dwarfs the main series now, which is kind of absurd.

It'd be almost like if Luigi's Mansion became bigger than Mario World.

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
i think chun li is gonna be rep 3 cause i haven't found her base costume as a sticker yet so welp more yawntastic fighters

Shroob

Sup?
That same religious imagery is also in Bayonetta right? But okay that clears things up a little. Still, I don't like the character, and I don't have to.
America in general has gotten a lot more lax in its religious crusade.

Pokemon isn't 'from the devil' nowadays unless you find an extreme zealot, for example.

Though the main SMT series suffers a bit since it never got a foothold in the West early on the NES due to the different time and views of the 80's.

I guess it's pretty much like Awakening/Fates, only with a different series.

It hurts because it's true.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Eh, I can see where the appeal of a "Nintendo only" crossover event comes from, even though I don't necessarily want that.

It's really similar to a game like Injustice 2, a game about DC Super Heroes fighting it out. Everyone knew what they were getting into and expected more heroes and villains, but then they started adding DLC characters like Mortal Kombat guests, TMNT, and Hellboy, and those DC fans really weren't a fan of that.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
The SMT/Persona debacle really makes me think of Cloud being in Smash.

It'd make a million times more sense to have someone like Cecil or Terra in Smash due to their games being considered classics on Nintendo systems, but Cloud, and Final Fantasy 7 in general, just kind of dwarfs everything about his series, whether you like it or not.

The same can be said of Persona and SMT. SMT has strong ties to Nintendo, a LOT of the series is Nintendo exclusive, but Persona just has a HUGE widespread appeal and Persona 5 is heralded as one of THE BEST RPGS EVUR.

Though I'm one-million percent happier it's Joker and not Yu. Yu is so ****ing BLAND.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
The SMT/Persona debacle really makes me think of Cloud being in Smash.

It'd make a million times more sense to have someone like Cecil or Terra in Smash due to their games being considered classics on Nintendo systems, but Cloud, and Final Fantasy 7 in general, just kind of dwarfs everything about his series, whether you like it or not.

The same can be said of Persona and SMT. SMT has strong ties to Nintendo, a LOT of the series is Nintendo exclusive, but Persona just has a HUGE widespread appeal and Persona 5 is heralded as one of THE BEST RPGS EVUR.

Though I'm one-million percent happier it's Joker and not Yu. Yu is so ****ing BLAND.
I like Yu,,,,,,even the fact he's a bit too lucky.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Persona 4 is a fine game, I just find Yu to be.....'too' much of a silent protagonist.

He has one emotion:

:4mii:

This.

Joker at least oozes personality when he's in his Phantom Thief getup.
Eh in P4GA, they give him more of a personality, though it does come at the cost of being forced to experience Marie.

Shroob

Sup?
Also, is it just me, or does max difficulty classic mode honestly not seem that bad now that we don't have to deal with ****ing Master Core?

Like, if VINNY from Vinesauce can do well enough to get into the 9.0s while playing casually on release day, surely people have to be overestimating these CPUs, or maybe Classic Mode is just easier than 9.0s.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Do you dislike how they forced her in everything Persona 4 now as well?
"Forced"? Aside from Golden anime, there is nothing she's forced into. She was only DLC in dance games and Ultimax and all of her other roles are minor like Theodore.

Shroob

Sup?
Note to self:

Female Robin in Robin's Classic mode can be hella cheesed on high difficulty. If the stage transitions to the form with a pillar with platform on top, get on the other side of it and stand as close as you can to it, Female Robin will run into the wall trying to get you and nothing else, letting you use Smash attacks through the wall on her.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
"Forced"? Aside from Golden anime, there is nothing she's forced into. She was only DLC in dance games and Ultimax and all of her other roles are minor like Theodore.
Good point!

I just dislike her.

MalcolmBelmont

Smash Journeyman
While playing Smash Online i have been watching this video and man Putting Joker over that last "YOU SEE THE IMPOSSIBLE IS COMING TRUE". Makes me think about just how impossible Joker getting into Smash was until that announcement video. I am a huge Persona 5 Fan and seeing it happen last morning - gave me a giant smile on my face

PlugMeister

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PlugMeistr
Switch FC
SW-7021-0200-5077
I have absolutely no sort of history or knowledge on anything Persona, but I know that Joker was a fairly commonly requested character, so all I can really say is a big congratulations to all the supporters and Persona fans.

I am always very happy to see a new franchise be introduced to Smash, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom