• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
The wait for Ultimate is over...now the wait for Christmas comes

I want a gamecube so badly with pac man world 2

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Reggie explained that the remaining 4 dlc characters or the entire dlc line for Ultimate will be COMPLETELY NEW FIGHTERS without a series already repped in smash.
Come again?

So, now we know for sure that DLC characters can come after the 2015 date.

I wonder what happened to Rex.
Too late for base, not up to snuff/what Nintendo wanted for DLC. No grand conspiracy.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I am having fun with the new adventure mode, though some parts can be difficult. What about you guys?

How do I get past the fences, by the way?

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Wow, this is disheartening: how in God's name do I just play a standard For Glory match? I understand no such option exists, but there surely must be a preference, right? The interface is absolute trash. Sm4sh literally had a better interface.
In quickplay, turn preferred rules on.

Don't worry, though. The game is going to put you into FFA with items most of the time anyways, and you don't have the ability to leave before the match starts.

Also, if you do get into a game you want to play I sure hope you don't get bored of your character, because if you want to switch you have to exit and requeue... giving you the chance to be put back into FFA! Fun!

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Here's an updated compilation of my thoughts/arguments on KOS-MOS in light of the Joker announcement

1) KOS-MOS is from Xenosaga, Namco crossovers (various ones) and Xenoblade 2 is her latest appearance in a main Xeno game as a cameo. I believe that KOS-MOS is relevant for the following reasons in DLC. Keep in mind that there is NOTHING confirmed and these are all my opinions/speculation. She is a crossover character Queen. She has featured in many crossover games such as Mugen no frontier super robot taisen ds, Project x zone 1 and 2 on DS. In 2 she is paired with Fiora who is like her future inspirational design as they both have similar abilities. Some other cameos such as Namco X capcom, Soulcalibur III, and Tales are also games KOS-MOS appears in.

2) She is relevant in terms of Nintendo. KOS-MOS, despite not being a Nintendo character has received a different design that is better suited for Nintendo in Xenoblade 2. She is much less sexualized, her gattling guns were changed to laser guns, and she maintains a few of her iconic moves and most notably R blade, and X buster. In terms of KOS-MOS VS Elma, I feel that Elma lost her chance now cause the base game is finished and Elma's cameo in Xenoblade 2 was too late to be featured in smash dlc. Of course, both characters can still get in as KOS-MOS is a Namco rep and Elma is a xeno rep but let's consider that if Elma was going to be chosen then she would have been in the base game. Also, KOS-MOS's new design is marketed more going forward. If you look at it this way... KOS-MOS is receiving a scale figure to be released soon and she was featured in artwork in Torna. UPDATE: Elma could possibly out as she's already a spirit represented in smash and Reggie said all new unexpected representatives.

3) T-ELOS's return. T-ELOS despite not being featured since P X Z 2 in a game was also redesigned for Xenoblade 2. We can see here the relations are going well with Namco enough for them to revive two new characters to be put into Monolith soft's game since they are the original creators.

4) Joker: Joker's inclusion is huge. He is not a rep that we could ever see coming (fitting for a phantom thief). Reggie explained that the remaining 4 dlc characters or the entire dlc line for Ultimate will be COMPLETELY NEW FIGHTERS without a series already repped in smash. With this in mind, KOS-MOS's chances have skyrocketed because she's a Namco rep and would have her OWN symbol. If they do not want a Xenoblade rep in the dlc now then KOS-MOS can fill both slots for Namco and Xeno. KOS-MOS would be unique with her own symbol, stage (Abel's ark) etc. If Persona can get in when Joker only has one appearance on Nintendo that is JPN only then KOS-MOS has the chances now as well. You wouldn't ever thought Persona was getting in and KOS-MOS is in even more crossovers and also has her 2 main games out of 3 on DS in JPN only. That doesnt matter as shown by Joker now. Her cameos and moveset should make her enough to be a out of nowhere pick.

5) Heihachi and Lloyd were better suited for the base game, while KOS-MOS is better suited for dlc. If Sakurai wanted either in then he would have took note of the mii costumes he made and turned them into fighters. Heihachi and Lloyd received mii outfits in Smash 4 which made them very relevant for the base game. KOS-MOS's cameo in Xenoblade 2 is more recent for dlc given that she was launch Xenoblade 2 content and MARKETED with the game. She was a spoiler people could discover on their own but KOS-MOS RE was publicly marketed by Nintendo and Monolith on twitter and various News sites. This means that Sakurai is likely aware of KOS-MOS. The only thing KOS-MOS had going for her in the base game was her P X Z 2 cameo. Xenoblade 2 cameo strengthens her chances. UPDATE: Lloyd and KOS-MOS can get in simultaneously now that we know there are potentially more than 1 dlc challenger pack and Joker has shown that 2 Sega dlc reps was possible even though Bayonetta is not dlc for ultimate... she was dlc for smash wii U.

6) Why would Nintendo chose KOS-MOS? Sakurai has said he loves Xenoblade 2 so much in interviews and he gave Rex the Mii costume treatment. It's possible that since KOS-MOS is a namco rep that he'd have her as the representative chosen by Nintendo as she was marketed for the game. This is my speculation but I think it rings true nowadays.

7) Xenosaga HD remaster rumours: Back in April, Namco refiled a trademark for Xenosaga Episode III and we have heard nothing about it yet which could mean we could see a reveal next year. UPDATE: If KOS-MOS is planned for season 2 then it's possible we could see a Xenosaga remaster given the rumours.

8) Takahashi already expressed interest in reviving Xenosaga if someone can fund it back in 2017. We got the trademark of episode III again in April 2018 which might mean he could be up to something.
Ima argue this one in favor of my boy Lloyd.

1. I can't refute any of these points. KOS-MOS appears in a lot of outside crossovers
2. The idea of "base game picks" makes little sense since DLC is anyone's game. KOS-MOS is as relevant as she was pre-Xenoblade Chronicles 2 given that it was a cameo and not a main character role.
3. This is a fair point.
4. We have no clue what Reggie meant by "fighters new to the series:" it could mean that they'll all be new series, or it could mean that they're simply fighters not already in the game (R.I.P. spirits tho?). This isn't really a point in your favor. Actually, if you're arguing for KOS-MOS as a Xenoblade fighter (which it seems like you are by playing up her appearance in that game, especially in your point 5), this is a point AGAINST you.
5. See my point 2 about "base game picks" being absolutely baseless speculation. If Xenoblade 2's popularity couldn't get Rex, the main character, in as anything more than a Mii costume, then I doubt a cameo that Sakurai may or may not have even run into will be much better. There is additionally no precedent of one company receiving two DLC reps within the same speculation cycle. While this could very well happen, and the fact that Namco has only one rep is odd, I doubt we'll be receiving two Namco reps for DLC.
6. KOS-MOS' marketing for Xenoblade 2 is notable and speaks to her popularity. However, this is underestimating the popularity of the Tales of series. Like, its got a theme park attraction, and is considered one of the big three RPG series in Japan. It also has notable history with Nintendo, getting it's start on the SNES (similar to SMT). If we're going by Sakurai interviews, Sakurai has specifically said that if Tales of ever gets a character, it'd be Lloyd. It also makes sense given that Symphonia was the game that broke the Tales of series into the West.
7. The good old promotional pick argument. We have no clue what's going on behind the scenes, and while hypotheticals can help your argument (especially when backed by evidence i.e. Sora being revealed alongside KH Switch), they mean little.
8. See my point 7 about hypotheticals, but having evidence behind the scenario makes it seem likelier.

Lloyd is the closest thing to a shoe-in that we currently have right now. I'll be more surprised if he ISN'T in this game.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
In quickplay, turn preferred rules on.

Don't worry, though. The game is going to put you into FFA with items most of the time anyways, and you don't have the ability to leave before the match starts.

Also, if you do get into a game you want to play I sure hope you don't get bored of your character, because if you want to switch you have to exit and requeue... giving you the chance to be put back into FFA! Fun!
I cannot get over how stupid is; they intentionally tried to make the game more competitive, but removed For Glory. Literally as much of an online dud as Super Mario Party.

hposter

Smash Apprentice
Mario and Link are seen fighting, that goes on for about 15 seconds. After one beats the other, it swaps to the Scribblenauts artstyle. It turns out Maxwell summoned the two to see who would win in a fight. After a second, an exclamation mark appears above his head. He get's out his notebook and applies an adjective to himself.

"PLAYABLE"
Took the words right out of my mouth!
Uhhh, in this case, the idea right out of my head!

SuperSmashLover

Smash Cadet
I cannot get over how stupid is; they intentionally tried to make the game more competitive, but removed For Glory. Literally as much of an online dud as Super Mario Party.
Surely if everyone makes enough noise about it, they will put it back in. The Japanese competitive scene is huge and has actual age groups that they take very seriously. I'm sure players will make a fuss about it to have something done.

Dan

Smash Lord
Lyndis_ Lyndis_ Also, I got into one 1v1 match and it was DK (me) vs. K. Rool on Omega Battlefield... ha! Two huge characters fighting on one tiny-ass platform; so fitting.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Come again?
That's not true, actually. He didn't say "all the characters will be from new series", he said all the characters will be "new to Smash Ultimate", which means all the DLC will be newcomers, which we already knew.

D

Deleted member

Hmm, interesting. Ah well, early days. I'm sure it will be fixed if it becomes a big enough issue.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
That's not true, actually. He didn't say "all the characters will be from new series", he said all the characters will be "new to Smash Ultimate", which means all the DLC will be newcomers, which we already knew.
#TeamPoochy IS STILL IN THE GAME BABY

D

Deleted member

Seems like the best solution would be to make Elite Smash open from the start. Kinda confused why it isn't.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Y'all mind if i post my teaser for a certain obscure character that i recently made?

Here's my example

The teaser starts out pitch black, there is nothing but a moon in the background, then, White text appears saying...

"Don't you think it's kinda strange?"

"How sometimes you wake up, you know you had a dream, but you can't remember it."

"Where do you suppose those dreams go?"

"But there's one dream i remember very clearly, as if it was happening right now."

all of this happening while a mysterious envelope is slowly falling to the ground, note how we never see the front of it.

The envelope gently lands down onto the ground, in the middle of a forest.

In the background we can see a long eared dog like figure examining the fallen letter from a distance.

He walks up to it, picks it up and takes the seal off of the letter, all with the camera focused on the ground the letter fell down to.

The camera then shifts to the one who picked up the letter's legs, slowly moving up to his torso, and finally to his head.

This figure is revealed to be Klonoa, with a cheerful grin on his face, Klonoa jumps for joy as he does his trademark "Wahoo!" to the tune of the opening to Door To Phantomile

"CHALLENGER PACK 2"

"KLONOA"

"SUPER SMASH BROS ULTIMATE X KLONOA"

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I have a fun game for you all, Make a teaser (Like how Joker was revealed.) for your most wanted character.
I'll do you one better.
vortex world smash.jpg

Of course it's never going to ****ing happennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn,

Last edited:

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Didn't he also say they would be every unexpected picks like Joker?

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Vergeben and all the other losers that leak Smash can **** off.

**** like Joker wouldn’t have been as hype if they were spoiled beforehand.

LetterO

Smash Lord
At this point the likelieness of Lloyd and Yuri went down for me after we saw Joker who came out after 2014. Considering Verge doesn't know anything besides a Minecraft boss and I don't even know whats up with Hitagi anymore, we're in the dark with DLC besides a Square Rep.

That makes me happy. Anyone is still a possibility.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
By the by.

I ****ing hate matches with gusty winds.

Is there a Spirit that removes that **** entirely?

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
By the by.

I ****ing hate matches with gusty winds.

Is there a Spirit that removes that **** entirely?
There's multiple.

The online for Ultimate is about as good as it was in Brawl, and that's no exaggeration. There's nothing good about it. It's just as laggy, and there's no convenient way to play competitively. It's just lazy, that's all it is.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
At this point the likelieness of Lloyd and Yuri went down for me after we saw Joker who came out after 2014. Considering Verge doesn't know anything besides a Minecraft boss and I don't even know whats up with Hitagi anymore, we're in the dark with DLC besides a Square Rep.

That makes me happy. Anyone is still a possibility.
How does it make it go down? Either of them still have good chances, considering Sega now has 3 Unique characters. And that 2014 rumor I believe was about the Tales rep not the DLC choices which someone mentioned a few days ago.

In other news, they finally added Mr. Game & Watch's blog update outside of Japan.

https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/blog/index.html?category=cat02_fighter_26

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Honestly I feel like Dante might be one of the other 4. I don’t know why, I just have a hunch.

D

Deleted member

People who are having trouble with online, did you try making your own lobbies? People are saying that works way better.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly I feel like Dante might be one of the other 4. I don’t know why, I just have a hunch.
I'll tell you why.

Because he's a goddamn gaming legend, far greater than most of the cast and one that has remained popular throughout the years despite the decade long drought of ****ty games.
He's the grandfather of a gaming genre, one whose legacy is directly linked to a character already in Smash.
His moveset writes itself, with moves numbering in the hundreds, (also because it literally was already written out in PSASBR)

And the cherry on top?
He's got a game coming out in less than 3 months.

Dante.
Is.
In.

And I swear, I deserve at least THAT much.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I'll tell you why.

Because he's a goddamn gaming legend, far greater than most of the cast and one that has remained popular throughout the years despite the decade long drought of ****ty games.
He's the grandfather of a gaming genre, one whose legacy is directly linked to a character already in Smash.
His moveset writes itself, with moves numbering in the hundreds, (also because it literally was already written out in PSASBR)

And the cherry on top?
He's got a game coming out in less than 3 months.

Dante.
Is.
In.

And I swear, I deserve at least THAT much.
If I had to guess I think Dante and 2B are very possible for 2 of the other dlc spots.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I have a fun game for you all, Make a teaser (Like how Joker was revealed.) for your most wanted character.
Insert Joker teaser here

but yeah
Uh
thanos snaps himself into smash and does the orange justice after killing captain falcon

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Didn't he also say they would be every unexpected picks like Joker?
Indeed he did. His exact quote was "These are going to be characters that are new to the series, just like Joker from Persona 5. Characters you would not anticipate to be in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate."

Pyr

Smash Lord
Well, who's ready for the patch late next week for Online?

Input lag has some known causes, fixes, and thresholds. CPUs destroying people is too hilarious to fix. But the Online? WAY too many complaints for that to be left alone for very long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom