• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I remember PolarPanda saying some other stuff about how some Nintendo partners were saying Geno or something like that, but I can’t find the quote. Anybody mind helping me out there?

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman
Crono is still more widely recognized by a certain age group though... while geno is only recognized by a fraction of that same age group...
You'd be amazed. Chrono Trigger is a cult classic yeah, but it's still a relatively niche name. Geno was obscure yes, but you'd be amazed how many gaming fans know him nowadays just because of all the Smash Bros buzz surrounding him. In a general audience there's definitely a strong argument to be had for Crono, but when the target audience is Smash Bros players Geno has the edge over him easily. If Nintendo were specifically going to go for a niche "fan-favorite" character from Square Enix, Geno is definitely the right answer.

I'm not used to being able to talk about Geno as being a more logical or recognizable pick than another character.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Uhhh... that’s just not true lol Hitagi has definitely gotten things correct xd that’s a big assumption
Like what?

As of now, I haven't seen Hitagi do anything that convinces me he isn't just leeching off of Verge and spitting out whatever characters are mentioned by "inside sources" without seeing if it checks out with what other people have heard. All I have to go off of is, "So you know how I said we're getting Katalina and a first-party swordfighter? Yeah, that was all incorrect information. Sorry 'bout that," and that's not a strong first impression.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
no i think that it is cool that we got all of the vets back. it's kinda like a family reunion. plus, now we can see snake cloud and pichu and Krool in one game. i personally think its very hard to complain about that.
I'm not saying the prospect of "Everyone is Here" was a bad one.
The fact that we have all of the cut characters back is amazing (I'm personally looking forward to Wolf, Snake, Pichu, and Pokemon Trainer).
However, that did come with a cost: much fewer unique newcomers and ALMOST no new stages beyond the typical versions of BF, Big BF, and FD.
The newcomers they choose were VERY hit or miss with me. Echo fighters did help, but it didn't fix the problem for me.
The fact they brought back ALMOST ever stage is fantastic, but I don't like that it cost us all but 4 new stages.
So while I am happy with what we got, it's far from my perfect scenario.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
You'd be amazed. Chrono Trigger is a cult classic yeah, but it's still a relatively niche name. Geno was obscure yes, but you'd be amazed how many gaming fans know him nowadays just because of all the Smash Bros buzz surrounding him. In a general audience there's definitely a strong argument to be had for Crono, but when the target audience is Smash Bros players Geno has the edge over him easily. If Nintendo were specifically going to go for a niche "fan-favorite" character from Square Enix, Geno is definitely the right answer.

I'm not used to being able to talk about Geno as being a more logical or recognizable pick than another character.
I had never heard of Geno until just a few months ago, and I've known about SMRPG since the mid-2000s

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
I find it weird how Hitagi finds Geno so unlikely because Nintendo is prioritizing profit and recognizability, but doesn’t say anything about Crono, who is pretty much just as niche and unknown to general audiences.
Crono is the main character of one of the most well known and influential RPGs out there, as well as being in the literal title of the game. To call Crono Trigger niche is kind of insane.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I feel like this is going to be a controversial opinion...

While “everyone is here!” Is really truly super cool...
Am I the only one who would’ve preferred that they didn’t spend time on cut veterans and instead spent time developing more “new” newcomers?

Dixie, Elma, banjo, Geno, BWD and others(in my head) would’ve appealed to me much much more.

Nevertheless, I’m still super excited and I am happy that Pokémon trainer and Pichu are back
Absolutely not.
Honestly, I feel like Everyone Is Here sets up a really bad precedent for bringing back everything regardless of quality at the expense of newer content.

D

Deleted member

what if smash ultimate only had 12 characters?
my roster would be
1 mario
2 luigi
3 kirby
4 link
5 zelda
6 ganon
7 pikachu
8 mewtwo/pkmn trainer
9 DK
10 Krool
12 kirby
Mario
Kirby
Pikachu
Link
Donkey Kong
Samus
Yoshi
Fox
Jigglypuff
Ness
Luigi
Captain Falcon

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
my roster would be
1 mario
2 luigi
3 kirby
4 link
5 zelda
6 ganon
7 pikachu
8 mewtwo/pkmn trainer
9 DK
10 Krool
11 DeDeDe
12 kirby
Is that your wish roster or is that the roster that seems the most accurate to you?

Untouch

Smash Master
Okay, I know this isn't the Chrom thread, but this is an important matter.
We need to talk about this.

Yeah...Did you see?

T H I S

HOLY MOLY THAT RANGE AND F-SMASH HITBOX
I hope stuff like this isn't fixed.
Smash is better with jank like this, Smash 4 trying to sterilize everything like this made a lot of characters play so similar.

Ezclapper

Smash Apprentice
Like what?

As of now, I haven't seen Hitagi do anything that convinces me he isn't just leeching off of Verge and spitting out whatever characters are mentioned by "inside sources" without seeing if it checks out with what other people have heard. All I have to go off of is, "So you know how I said we're getting Katalina and a first-party swordfighter? Yeah, that was all incorrect information. Sorry 'bout that," and that's not a strong first impression.
So, you just think that verge started talking to hitagi for no reason? That’s what you are implying if you say he’s just piggybacking off what he says. I’m not saying hitagi is right, but verge can be just as wrong as him. The fact that verge and him discussed the SE character just shows that he’s definitely legit.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
his recovery sucks. losing a stock every time you're thrown off stage is a big deal.
I mean, apparently, literally everyone who's not K.Rool/Bayonetta/Inkling/Snake/Sonic/Ike got their recovery nerfed to oblivion.

Especially Diddy, sure he have monkey flip.
But jesus that UP-B range nerf was unecessary.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yeah OK, so KRool has this **** and Ganondorf isn't allowed to hover a bit?
Please.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Just got the news that Backslash snaps to ledge now.

Life is good.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
I mean, apparently, literally everyone who's not K.Rool/Bayonetta/Inkling/Snake/Sonic/Ike got their recovery nerfed to oblivion.

Especially Diddy, sure he have monkey flip.
But jesus that UP-B range nerf was unecessary.
Yes but chrom is bad because he has one option to recover, and it has a lot of lag, and it doesn't go very far

also, snake is very easy to hit out of his up b

Last edited:

prowler12

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-7518-9066-3502
my roster would be
1 mario
2 luigi
3 kirby
4 link
5 zelda
6 ganon
7 pikachu
8 mewtwo/pkmn trainer
9 DK
10 Krool
11 DeDeDe
12 kirby
why is Kirby on there Twice.
My list would be
1. Marth
2. Roy
3.Ike
4.Robin
5.Corrin
6. Lucina
7.Chrom
8.Lyn
9.Black knight
10.Hector
11.Walhart
12.Duck hunt duo

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
hey who is your least favorite character to play as and to fight in ultimate
Historically I've hated playing Sonic, Sheik, Diddy, and Pit/Dark Pit, so that'll probably stay the same in Ultimate.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Um, well, speaking of PolarPanda...

Now, I don't believe this at all, really, but I thought it may be of interest, to some...
I'd believe it; Panda also said the Mii Costume was compensation for fans, and that NoA didn't expect the backlash.

I also believe it because of how their ears were so deaf that they didn't realize people wanted K. Rool until the Ballot; apparently they didn't realize it about Isaac, though, and maybe Geno if he gets the same fate pls no.

edit: Also, Nintendo being surprised by the backlash may be good news. If Isaac fans keep pushing, maybe they'll include him in the next Smash, or even better, make Camelot develop a new Golden Sun game.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
K Rool's absurd recovery seems like it'll be easy to deal with, they just need to drastically reduce the knockback it deals.

Last edited:

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
Like what?

He predicted the new Samurai Shodown game and details about and SNK Heroines' DLC.

Only things he's gotten right so far, and both have to do with SNK.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I hope stuff like this isn't fixed.
Smash is better with jank like this, Smash 4 trying to sterilize everything like this made a lot of characters play so similar.
Seems that Roy have the same things, being able to touch under platform alongside even Jab and F-tilt but Roy have a sourspot, so it wouldn't have done anything.
Seems like some jank leftover when they just took Roy and launched ChromCoatPaint.EXE and forgot to change it.

But you know what?

I love it, and hope it stays just like you said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom