• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
For what reason would anyone dislike Roy?
I don't get the FE complaints at all. Like, maybe the criticism of too many Fire Emblem characters is valid, but I often see people complain that they're all "the same character". This is entirely false in every way imaginable.

You have to be an idiot to think Roy feels anything like Marth if you've played Smash 4.

Lucina's lack of a tipper changes her playstyle entirely. She goes from a character who has to be good at spacing to someone really aggressive.

You can't even make an argument that Corrin or Robin play anything like anyone else.

Ike is heavy as hell with moves that have different hitboxes, endlag, start up lag, range, functionality, and different knockback properties. Literally what you would use to define a different character
You're kind of exaggerating how different these fighters are.

You can make an argument about Lucina being drastically different from Marth because of the lack of the tipper mechanic, but that doesn't change the fact that virtually every single move she has functions identically to Marth's. Lucina is Marth without the tipper. Roy is essentially Marth's "Dr. Mario" fighter. He's got a lot of unique traits of his own, but most of his moveset still functions very similar to Marth's, with many changes lying with the speed of his attacks, his weight, and his sword's sweetspots. Chrom is basically Roy's "Lucina" with a different up-special.

They aren't "all the same character" but you can't necessarily call them unique either. That's why the terms "semi-clone" and "Echo Fighter" exist.

Ike, Robin, and Corrin are their own thing though. I'll at least give you that.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Tracer would be easy to implement an assist trophy now that you have Matt Mercer on tap for Chrom.

McCree might not be the ideal Overwatch assist trophy but he's pretty popular in his own regard.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Wearing clothes is not weird. Wearing clothes that are not made for you? I might raise my eyebrow at that a bit.
This always confused me. what exactly about a dress or a skirt requires it to be for a woman? I understand some dumbass clothes store might put it in a section labeled "women" but functionally there's no reason to limit clothing other than the fact that people think it's weird, despite the fact that people have worn clothes of the opposite gender for centuries

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I just restarted kingdom hearts last night. It is a game that starts with existentialism followed by a trippy sequence set to J-Pop with implications for Yaoi shippers and ending with shallow references to Disney. If they House of Mouse greenlit that it is it proof enough that they would NOT be difficult when it comes to Kingdom Hearts.
Ah, riiiiiiiight :p

D

Deleted member

Who will I summon? Or do I not want to know?
#1 Sora fan and Smash Inclusion Fighter, tehponycorn. (Don't hate the guy, but he's very adimant about Disney not hindering Sora's chances).

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Shush, clothes have genders, too. /s

If it's not Tracer, it's probably either McCree, Hanzo or Widowmaker.
I wouldn't even put Widowmaker on the list.

Tracer, D.Va (She even became the face of a women's right movement), Mercy, McCree, Hanzo, Genji, Sombra (her ARG made her a big deal), Doomfist (he was a major fan want before his inclusion into the roster) are the ones I'd imagine are the "list" for Overwatch representation.

D

Deleted member

This always confused me. what exactly about a dress or a skirt requires it to be for a woman? I understand some ******* clothes store might put it in a section labeled "women" but functionally there's no reason to limit clothing other than the fact that people think it's weird, despite the fact that people have worn clothes of the opposite gender for centuries
I’m trying to think of a word that would fit the censor but I can’t.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Wearing clothes is not weird. Wearing clothes that are not made for you? I might raise my eyebrow at that a bit.
Dunno, women can wear both pants and skirts, why men can't do both? (we're really off-topic, aren't we)

IKE ISNT ABOUT MIDRANGE
YOU DONT SPAM SIDE B AS LIKE ANY OTHER CHARACTERS BESIDES THESE TWO
YOU CANNOT JUGGLE AS ROBIN
WHAT THE ABSOLUTE F WORD (frick)
This fandom used to Lucario a clone of Mewtwo. This is an improvement.

D

Deleted member

I'm glad my man Shulk realizes clothes are sjw bull**** and doesn't wear them. Shame he only has one alt though...

D

Deleted member

This always confused me. what exactly about a dress or a skirt requires it to be for a woman? I understand some ******* clothes store might put it in a section labeled "women" but functionally there's no reason to limit clothing other than the fact that people think it's weird, despite the fact that people have worn clothes of the opposite gender for centuries
Look dude, if a guy chooses to wear women's clothing or a woman chooses to wear men's clothing, that their choice. Just like it is my choice to raise my eyebrow at their choice in fashion.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
If I had to cut Fire Emblem characters, I'd cut Roy and make Lucina an alt of Marth because Awakening callback.

We'd get five characters slots, with only Chrom as a Marth (semi-)clone while everyone else is completely unique.

And there'd be so many less complaints.
There'd still be complaints. People love to complain. Plus, Roy has a very big fanbase here, more for his Melee appearance than his FE appearance. Chrom would be hated if he outright replaced him.

Plus, in terms of series representation, if you took out Roy it would look like this:

NES/SNES Era
:ultmarth: - Shadow Dragon, Mystery of the Emblem
GCN/Wii Era
:ultike: - Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn
GBA Era

3DS Era
:ultcorrin: - Fates
:ultrobin: - Awakening
:ultlucina: - Awakening
:ultchrom: - Awakening

If you're simply arguing from a fighters' perspective, where unique movesets are all that matter, sure, your idea works. From a series representation perspective-- which is half of the purpose for Smash's roster-- it's definitely worse.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Dunno, women can wear both pants and skirts, why men can't do both? (we're really off-topic, aren't we)

This fandom used to Lucario a clone of Mewtwo. This is an improvement.
That reminds me of that one Rugrats episode where Chuckie and Phil end up wearing dresses only to find out Kilts exist in the end.

Last edited:

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
You're kind of exaggerating how different these fighters are.

You can make an argument about Lucina being drastically different from Marth because of the lack of the tipper mechanic, but that doesn't change the fact that virtually every single move she has functions identically to Marth's. Lucina is Marth without the tipper. Roy is essentially Marth's "Dr. Mario" fighter. He's got a lot of unique traits of his own, but a lot of his moveset still functions very similar to Marth's, with most changes lying with the speed of his attacks, weight, and sweetspots. Chrom is basically Roy's "Lucina" with a different up-special.

They aren't "all the same character" but you can't necessarily call them unique either. That's why the terms "semi-clone" and "Echo Fighter" exist.

Ike, Robin, and Corrin are their own thing though. I'll at least give you that.
To call smash 4 roy a semi clone is not giving enough credit to how different he is in that game. His moves are entirely different. He's about as similar to marth then Luigi is to Mario, and Luigi is far from a semi-clone just for having similar moves.

I have nothing to say on Chrom because I haven't played him, but I'm willing to admit he will probably be pretty similar to Roy.

And when talking about Lucina, I'm more referring to how you play as her. If you play her like you play Marth, then you're not going to have a good time, You have to have 2 different styles with these characters, which for me is enough so call them different. I will admit that for base casual play, they are very similar, but then again, so are a lot of characters in that context.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That reminds me of that one Rugrats episode where Chuckie and Phil end up wearing dresses only to find out Kilts exist in the end.

"You realize that they can wear a skirt and not care!"-Robin Williams.
There'd still be complaints. People love to complain. Plus, Roy has a very big fanbase here, more for his Melee appearance than his FE appearance. Chrom would be hated if he outright replaced him.

Plus, in terms of series representation, if you took out Roy it would look like this:

NES/SNES Era
GCN/Wii Era
GBA Era

3DS Era

If you're simply arguing from a fighters' perspective, where unique movesets are all that matter, sure, your idea works. From a series representation perspective-- which is half of the purpose for Smash's roster-- it's definitely worse.
Man, Awakening really got the spotlight in Smash lol.

D

Deleted member

i don't play overwatch but i know about her in the shorts. I loved her personality and moveset. Banjo is rather lame and childish
Sora is also rather lame and childish. Same goes to Bandana Dee. Glad we're still riding this train about who's irrelevant or lame. :4pacman:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Not sure I expected to see so much discussion on clothes of all things.

...okay.
You should have expected this after all these talk about alt costumes and Pyra's outfit. This was the only (il)logical conclusion.

D

Deleted member

TBH I still want Awakening Tiki in Smash.

Corrin's neat and all, but how about we get a real manakete in Smash?

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman

NES/SNES Era
GCN/Wii Era
GBA Era

3DS Era

If I had my way, Roy would be replaced by Hector, Lucina and Chrom would be costume alts of Marth and Ike, and Anna would be in Smash as a representative of the series as a whole and of the whole weapons triangle.

Edit: and Corrin and Robin would still be there.

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I just saw Robin's new red alt with the blonde hair and can I just say... I've found my new main Robin color, sorry MRobin.
It's the blonde War Magus from EO2, you can't convince me otherwise. She had to lose the hat, but that's okay. The swords are just War Edge skills, and the tomes are just War Lore skills. Totally accurate, right? See, I knew we'd get some sort of EO reference in Smash eventually. :p

(this post took 15 minutes to make, **** train wi-fi)

D

Deleted member

It's the blonde War Magus from EO2, you can't convince me otherwise. She had to lose the hat, but that's okay. The swords are just War Edge skills, and the tomes are just War Lore skills. Totally accurate, right? See, I knew we'd get some sort of EO reference in Smash eventually. :p

(this post took 15 minutes to make, **** train wi-fi)
Forward Smash is just Ailing Slash and it OHKOes you at 0%

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
If I had my way, Roy would be replaced by Hector, Lucina and Chrom would be costume alts of Marth and Ike, and Anna would be in Smash as a representative of the series as a whole and of the whole weapons triangle.

Edit: and Corrin and Robin would still be there.
See this is why fans don't pick the roster

Last edited:

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
TBH I'm disappointed that Alm wasn't a Roy echo instead of Chrom. Partially because Awakening is overrepped, partially because the names are similar and that makes it funny, and partially because SoV is the best 3DS FE fight me

Why have a real family when you can have a fabricated one, right?
Making a lot of assumptions there.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
"You realize that they can wear a skirt and not care!"-Robin Williams.

Man, Awakening really got the spotlight in Smash lol.
It gets the spotlight in general. It was the first FE game to sell a million copies. And it was the thirteenth one. It basically saved the series from pulling an F-Zero.

That said, it's still annoying to classic FE fans to see the entire series before Awakening commonly be summed up by Marth. The starting roster for Warriors had five characters total from FE 1-12, two of which were late game unlockables and not part of the story. Then six were from Awakening, and fifteen total were from FE13/14 alone. Then the DLC skewed it even more.

Smash has Ike, who's like the Gamecube era Marth, but Roy was the star of a Japanese-only release who's only back by the popular demand of Melee fans, not necessarily Binding Blade fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom