• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's literally just because of the Katalina rumor (which isn't even a sure thing yet).

Like wow, even if it is true, so far we have ONE promotional character being rumored. And at least 2 that are clearly meant to be hype announcements (Square and Microsoft).

Yeah somehow I don't think it'll be nearly as "advertisement focused" as people are fearing it to be.
Especially considering we don't know who is in the supposed last two slots. That's some extra-strength secrets there.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I'm honestly down with another FE rep, but only if they aren't from 3 Houses. We don't need another "Advertisement" character, at least not for Fire Emblem. Let us get to know the character BEFORE you add them to the game so we can decide if they're actually likeable. :V

It's especially funny to me that both Roy and Corrin usually have pretty split opinions in the FE community on wether people like them or not, yet both were added into Smash with similar circumstances.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

His hyper armor is exactly the problem. When it breaks, it's a freefall. Get a freefall in the air, well, you ain't coming back.
IIRC his armor is only active on his ftilt, dash attack, and nair, but I could be wrong.

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
People are arguing about Banjo being in Smash over Steve, or vice versa, but we can clearly have both.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Oh! OH! OH! My favorite Game! Story Revisionism!

Sora was ALWAYS unexpected, even if he happens, EVEN his own fans know that.
He was the laughing stock for Smash 4 ballot because "Disney" and dare say his name during Ultimate's speculation and you'll get "HUM BUT GENO." or "BUT DISNEY" and the game of "Let's play who can throw more missinformation in 5 minutes"
The fact that there is just a TINY hope that he might makes in, and people suddenly realize that hey...Maybe he's not as crazy as we though, Is more than enough for a lot of his supporter.
Agree, people seem to forget in many ways he was seen as the joke character, people had no faith in the idea of him being in. It isn't until recently that his chances have risen in the minds of people.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I'm honestly down with another FE rep, but only if they aren't from 3 Houses. We don't need another "Advertisement" character, at least not for Fire Emblem. Let us get to know the character BEFORE you add them to the game so we can decide if they're actually likeable. :V
I'll gladly take Ephraim, Leif or Hector at this point.

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
Nah, you're wrong, because one of these games sold over 140 million and has cemented its place firmly in gaming history

Absolutely does not change the fact that the biggest KH game so far is releasing in January on anything BUT Nintendo consoles
Just because it's not releasing on the Switch right now does not in any way imply it never will. Also i'm pretty sure the only reason at this point it wasn't announced for the Switch to begin with as well is because the game was actually already being made like a year and a half before the Switch was announced and came out. Nomura has also stated that a port is not out of the question they're just concentrating on it's currently announced platforms. Like I've said before it'd be idiotic and unreasonable to expect Square to have a made a KH3 Switch port right when they were so far in development for it's currently announced platforms so that all the versions of the game would have released on the same day. No studio not even one as big as Square could pull some **** like that off and do it right. Just because KH3 isn't coming to the Switch yet doesn't mean that it won't, and that certainly doesn't mean that it wouldn't be a good idea to advertise said game before a port is made for the Switch. Sora appearing in Smash would undoubtedly give more reason for both Square and Nintendo to push for a port of the game. In which case both sides win in the long run business wise.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Just because it's not releasing on the Switch right does not in any way imply it never will. Also i'm pretty sure the only reason at this point it wasn't announced for the Switch to begin with as well is because the game was actually already being made like a year and a half before the Switch was announced and came out. Nomura has also stated that a port is not out of the question they're just concentrating on it's currently announced platforms. Like I've said before it'd be idiotic and unreasonable to expect Square to have a made a KH3 Switch port right when they were so far in development for it's currently announced platforms so that all the versions of the game would have released on the same day. No studio not even one as big as Square could pull some **** like that off and do it right. Just because KH3 isn't coming to the Switch yet doesn't mean that he won't and that certainly doesn't mean that it wouldn't be a good idea to advertise said game before a port is made for the Switch. Sora appearing in Smash would undoubtedly give more reason for both Square and Nintendo to push for a port of the game. In which case both sides win in the long run business wise.
I will entertain this thought WHEN A PORT IS CONFIRMED
As of right now Sora appearing in Smash advertises a game releasing a month after his POTENTIAL announcement on rival consoles
I'm not gonna operate on hypotheticals like "but what if a KH game is coming" I'm solely operating on the info we got now.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

It's especially funny to me that both Roy and Corrin usually have pretty split opinions in the FE community on wether people like them or not, yet both were added into Smash with similar circumstances.
Both Lyn and the Black Knight are out, so that doesn't leave me with any options left except for the royal twins in FE Warriors...

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Woah dude, calm down a bit. No need to be hostile.

The thing is, do you know how many times I've had to explain to people how Sora could be in Smash, or clear up some sort of misconception regarding his inclusion?

Too many damn times. Even when Sora is "expected," people argue that there's no way he could get in. He's always been unexpected in that regard.
Mostly being aggro because he was coming at me. I don't have an issue with most people. Just some folks ruin Smash discussion because they have some beef about something you said about a party game. Its petty bull**** thats too common on SmashBoards.

My point is that the claim that Sora is unexpected doesn't really match with reality. You can look what I showed in the other post about all the discussions and images of Sora being in Smash. It doesn't seem like people doubt him that much. Its far from a lot of other characters who people claim will never happen.

Let's be honest with ourselves, if Sora was revealed, would folks be that surprised? Would it be as surprising as Richter, Ridley or Piranha Plant. Sure, Sora has a licensing issue but that's not an end all be all hurdle. Most people doubt it because Disney can be hard to deal with but not impossible. The context of my post was more on surprise and being totally unexpected. Even so, can we really say that more than doubt Sora than think he could be in. Its hard to prove if that is even the case, so I'd be inclined to say he isn't.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Maybe go look up the definition of Revisionism. You all are talking about Sora NOW and talking about him potentially being in the game. A character is unexpected when people don't think he's going to happen yet people in this thread claim he can happen and will happen. Go Google "Sora in Smash Bros" and you will get YouTube videos and threads about Sora being in. Here is a video with over 100K views and 6K likes talking how Sora is going to be in Smash. Too jokey? Here is another one with 55K views. Yes, Sora is totally unexpected. No one would see him coming. That's why everyone is talking about him right? Go on to Google images and type Sora in Smash and look how many splash images are made. Heck, I just did it before the ballot was over (see the image). WOW, look at all the Sora for Smash images. Now go do the same for Piranha Plant and see what comes up.

If you are going to criticize someone of Revisionism, maybe get your facts straight first.
Sora was wanted, which is why you see all that material regarding his inclusion in Smash Bros, but it wasn't until these rumours cropped up that most people thought it was a plausible inclusion. Before people were hung up on his complicated ownership, which is why he wasn't anticipated. But that doesn't preclude simply being desired, which will fuel all that fan stuff.

Don't conflate desire and expectation. As the third-party gates keep widening, people begin to see more candidates as plausible, but most of them have always had some sort of desire guiding them even when they weren't seen as feasible candidates.

Like, people stopped expecting Banjo from about 2002-2015, when Spencer wrote that tweet. After that he shot up from a character surrounded by little anticipation due to perceived impossibility to one of the most discussed candidates, which wouldn't have happened if he was lacking the desire to fuel him into the forefront. It would be revisionism to say he was expected beforehand, but it wouldn't be revisionism to say he was strongly desired.

Also both those videos you posted are from Smashtubers with existing fanbases who will readily watch any Smash content they make (not to mention both have videos with higher views), and both date from after Vergeben's SE claims.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Nintendo: *hands Sakurai a list of 30 characters*
Sakurai: "ok I'll choose five of these then"
*All of them are from Fire Emblem*
Sakurai:
dfb7f850-80c1-4960-a06c-5be0e84b092c.png

every yokai watch game is exclusive to nintendo consoles
Still who?

D

Deleted member

Hector is the only viable FE choice because he pleases both the FE fans and the FE-phobes. You can't change my mind.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If Sora gets in Smash, I don't think it'll be due to promotion for KH3. The only way that would be the case is if SE came to Nintendo, not vice-versa.

Needless to say, I think Nintendo will have to be the ones to take the effort to get Sora in Smash. SE hasn't really shown any desire to have KH3 associated with Nintendo consoles, so I doubt they'd randomly start caring now.

Ah, the classic "I can't see it so it can't be in". Can't beat the oldies.
And just two weeks ago, Team Fake was using that same phrase to explain why they weren't entirely sold on the Grinch leak.

There's a reason why this thread has the word "speculation" in the title. We look at patterns and existing material to create our own rationales for why things can't and can happen. Bashing users for saying something is unlikely without bringing an argument of your own to explain why it IS likely amounts to nothing more than you belittling the person.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I will entertain this thought WHEN A PORT IS CONFIRMED
As of right now Sora appearing in Smash advertises a game releasing a month after his POTENTIAL announcement on rival consoles
I'm not gonna operate on hypotheticals like "but what if a KH game is coming" I'm solely operating on the info we got now.
Could the same not be said of Cloud when he was released? Both FF14 and FF15 were not coming to a Nintendo console this was a well known fact. His own game FF7 remastered was not going to come to a Nintendo console. Yet Could made it into Smash Wii U, despite advertising a game franchise that wasn't even on a Nintendo console.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Could the same not be said of Cloud when he was released? Both FF14 and FF15 were not coming to a Nintendo console this was a well known fact. His own game FF7 remastered was not going to come to a Nintendo console. Yet Could made it into Smash Wii U, despite advertising a game franchise that wasn't even on a Nintendo console.
The issue with this is that Cloud was not advertising any game
Sora would be advertising a game coming out in January

Sora could absolutely make it in but I just want to offer some reasons as to the contrary.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
And just two weeks ago, Team Fake was using that same phrase to explain why they weren't entirely sold on the Grinch leak.
And just four years ago, Team ESRB Fake was using Little Mac and their own little photoshops to prove it was fake. :smirk:
But no, they were talking about the bush and other background things, not just they didn't feel like it.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Changing gears a bit, if we got a second Bandai Namco rep, and it was a rep from Tekken. Do you think it would be Heihachi or Jin? Normally I would say its Heihachi, as he makes the most sense. However with him dying in Tekken 7 and the next Tekken being focused on Jin. I can see them choosing to go with Jin as he is now the main focus of the Tekken story.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Hmm

1. Square Enix Rep
2. Microsoft Rep
3. Katalina

So 2 left.

I hope they're Dragonborn and Bandana Dee.
Would actually be a fantastic pass if that was the case.

Sora/Geno/Erdrick
Banjo/Steve
Katalina
Dragonborn
Bandanna Dee

Yeah I'd definitely pay $25 for that easy.

Last edited:

R O F L

Smash Ace
So whats going on in the wonderful world of DLC speculation?
Why are we so certain we're getting another SE rep?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Changing gears a bit, if we got a second Bandai Namco rep, and it was a rep from Tekken. Do you think it would be Heihachi or Jin? Normally I would say its Heihachi, as he makes the most sense. However with him dying in Tekken 7 and the next Tekken being focused on Jin. I can see them choosing to go with Jin as he is now the main focus of the Tekken story.
Heihachi
No one plays Tekken for the story I think they're aware of this
Jin can be as important as he want; Heihachi has always been the king of Tekken in both insider and outsider contexts

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
The issue with this is that Cloud was not advertising any game
Sora would be advertising a game coming out in January

Sora could absolutely make it in but I just want to offer some reasons as to the contrary.
I understand no worries, I think its very wise to be skeptical and try to see all the facts.

Cloud might not have been advertising a particular game per say, but he was advertising a game series. And at that time Nintendo was choosing to allow Cloud in, despite it drawing interest in the FF series. By allowing this, they were in a way giving advertisement to their rivals. As it might have gotten people interested in FF14 and FF15.

Iridium

Smash Hero
We really need to see some SNK rep in Smash. Terry Bogard or Kyo Kusanagi. I just need to see someone get in (both of those two would be really good though).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So whats going on in the wonderful world of DLC speculation?
Why are we so certain we're getting another SE rep?
Because Verge is the dark lord, happy birthday, yadda yadda.

Jin. :ultincineroar: is basically Heihachi right now, so we could give :ultpacman: a villain to fight if Jin gets in.

We really need to see some SNK rep in Smash. Terry Bogard or Kyo Kusanagi. I just need to see someone get in (both of those two would be really good though).
And then that can potentially lead to Marco Rossi.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
So there are more rumors of a Japanese only, 3rd party, anime swordsman from a mobile game getting in as DLC? Oh boy, westerners are going to be thrilled.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I understand no worries, I think its very wise to be skeptical and try to see all the facts.

Cloud might not have been advertising a particular game per say, but he was advertising a game series. And at that time Nintendo was choosing to allow Cloud in, despite it drawing interest in the FF series. By allowing this, they were in a way giving advertisement to their rivals. As it might have gotten people interested in FF14 and FF15.
The thing is this argument can be used for a lot of other third party fighters. It's not about advertising the series-ANY third party has the cons of doing that-it's about advertising the specific game, and with KH3 coming up I'm not sure they'd take the dive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom