• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Not sure if Sora would get in or not, but I'm not really expecting any Smash reveals at the VGAs. If Sakurai is telling the truth and DLC on the five characters hasn't begun, then I don't see how he could possibly have a new character ready to show off to the public in less than two months.

We probably won't hear anything until 2019. At least that's my prediction anyway.
a team of talented animators could probably have a 1:30 trailer done in a month

D

Deleted member

I recall people saying Disney would be fine with Sora in Smash (they also only use him after asking Square out of respect), but they didn't specify this licensing thing, which did happen with World of Final Fantasy and Thanos in Fortnite...
Thanos will return to Fortnite, doh.

Probably for a while again, but a return nonetheless.

beans

Smash Lord
Yo- Noctis is in an okay game, but he have such a good moveset potential, y'all can't be serious about him getting in a tragedy.

Lightning however... :denzel:
She is sneaking in dressed as Cloud.
We cant kick her out because we dont know if its Lighting or Cloud crossdressing with a wig.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Not sure if Sora would get in or not, but I'm not really expecting any Smash reveals at the VGAs. If Sakurai is telling the truth and DLC on the five characters hasn't begun, then I don't see how he could possibly have a new character ready to show off to the public in less than two months.

We probably won't hear anything until 2019. At least that's my prediction anyway.
I agree for the most part but is there any possibility that they could make another mewtwo situation in less than two months? Just having the model to show.

D

Deleted member

If the SE rep is Noctis, I’ll laugh but internally scream. He would be the ultimate third-party shill character next to Katalina.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Yo- Noctis is in an okay game, but he have such a good moveset potential, y'all can't be serious about him getting in a tragedy.

Nekoo how have you not figured out I care far more about the character than the moveset

Noctis could have the most badass moveset of them all and I'd be crying for my puppet boy

Bionichute

Smash Champion

main character of the second worst final fantasy is just as bad as main character from the worst final fantasy

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime

We haven't seen a character revealed prior to it being functional in the game, except for Mewtwo, which was basically to tell people "HE'S GONNA BE THERE, STOP ASKING ABOUT HIM PLEASE."

Otherwise, Piranha Plant was shown in-game, as well as every other character, even if it was a couple months in advance. So unless they get the first DLC ready to show off like that in one month, I don't expect anything at VGA.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
We haven't seen a character revealed prior to it being functional in the game, except for Mewtwo, which was basically to tell people "HE'S GONNA BE THERE, STOP ASKING ABOUT HIM PLEASE."

Otherwise, Piranha Plant was shown in-game, as well as every other character, even if it was a couple months in advance. So unless they get the first DLC ready to show off like that in one month, I don't expect anything at VGA.
So you're saying we HAVE seen a character prior to them being functional to hype people up? Which would be PERFECT for TGA?

All they actually need is a few gameplay clips if they don't just opt for just having a CGI trailer.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Now to contrast with my misfortune on the Squenix rep...

I am so lucky with the Microsoft rep.
It's either Steve, Banjo-Kazooie, or even Master Chief. And they all helped develop my childhood and I have so many fond memories of them all. So no matter who's entering my favorite game I'm all set.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Do you think Sakurai will want to show off all DLC characters at once to avoid leaks?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I agree for the most part but is there any possibility that they could make another mewtwo situation in less than two months? Just having the model to show.
A model is possible, but it'd be a pretty random and rushed reveal if that's all they had to show at the VGAs.

Personally, I don't see a rush to reveal him. We already know DLC is on the way, and I'd like to think Sakurai would prefer putting together a near-complete character to showcase with the announcement instead of just saying, "This is who will get in Smash! Footage will come later!"

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
I'd say so. I don't see why it wouldn't?
Sometimes when you base your development on more powerful hardware it doesn't run so well on older hardware. Like with Hyrule Warrior Legends on 3DS. Ran pretty well on New 3DS but pretty horribly on normal. SE seems like a company that would want to squeeze as much power as they could out so I could see them basing optimizing the game around the stronger version.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
So, I've recently learned something.
http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/
Square Enix just had an extraordinary loss.

I don't think they can really afford to be too picky about who Nintendo would want in Smash now, I'm betting they'll try to take whatever money they can get. Granted, they'll still try to push for the most profitable character just because they don't want to make too many more mistakes.

http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/20181107_01en.pdf
This is an old post, but I want to clarify something.

This does not mean that SE had a net loss for the fiscal year. As of 9/30/18, SE has profits of 8.6 billion yen. The extraordinary loss was due to the company restructuring a division and writing off intangible assets. This is more of an accounting loss rather than any real money leaving the company. They are not struggling for money.
http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/19q2earnings.pdf

Bionichute

Smash Champion
A model is possible, but it'd be a pretty random and rushed reveal if that's all they had to show at the VGAs.

Personally, I don't see a rush to reveal him. We already know DLC is on the way, and I'd like to think Sakurai would prefer putting together a near-complete character to showcase with the announcement instead of just saying, "This is who will get in Smash! Footage will come later!"
they did show cranky kong that one time

not that that wasn't the best part of the show but still, not that much

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Nope. He'll do them one at a time to keep momentum and hype.
I'd agree but his reveal strategy changed from Smash 4 to Ult.

If it is the case we get one big trailer/direct, I could see them waiting for early summer before showing DLC.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
So you're saying we HAVE seen a character prior to them being functional to hype people up? Which would be PERFECT for TGA?

All they actually need is a few gameplay clips if they don't just opt for just having a CGI trailer.
You're saying something like this and only this would be perfect for TGA, but just replace Mewtwo with Sora or something?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
You're saying something like this and only this would be perfect for TGA, but just replace Mewtwo with Sora or something?

That is absolutely what I'm saying
If it's Sora no one gives a **** man IT'S SORA they'll just be losing it over the fact that he's in the game

Why are we assuming they haven't had time to finish up the first DLC character in the slightest?

StormC

Smash Hero
Said it before but I would really dislike Sora's reveal to be done through a model tease. Mewtwo was more understandable as a cut veteran.

But if it's Sora? I want to absorb all the hype in one go with a wham-bam trailer.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

That, or just do an Inkling like situation for Ultimate Reveals.
No gameplay, just CGI

Bionichute

Smash Champion
I'd agree but his reveal strategy changed from Smash 4 to Ult.

If it is the case we get one big trailer/direct, I could see them waiting for early summer before showing DLC.
considering p plant is most likely coming out in 3 months, we're probably going to know who the next fighter is well before the summer dude

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Why would Nintendo hand Sakurai a list with Sora on it?

That seems like a little bit of a stretch that they'd have characters on the list that they hadn't negotiated for.

Or maybe they've already negotiated a bunch...?

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Sometimes when you base your development on more powerful hardware it doesn't run so well on older hardware. Like with Hyrule Warrior Legends on 3DS. Ran pretty well on New 3DS but pretty horribly on normal. SE seems like a company that would want to squeeze as much power as they could out so I could see them basing optimizing the game around the stronger version.
Okay, that make sense now. Thanks. :)
And, yeah, that does sound like a very Square-y thing to do...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom