• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Why are we assuming they haven't had time to finish up the first DLC character in the slightest?
Because it's been exactly one week since Sakurai made the statement, "We haven't began working on the DLC yet."

Sakurai is full of suprises, but is a month and a half enough time to create a character who's ready to be shown off to the public?

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Because it's been exactly one week since Sakurai made the statement, "We haven't began working on the DLC yet."

Sakurai is full of suprises, but is a month and a half enough time to create a character who's ready to be shown off to the public?
last week... from a pre-recorded direct

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

Imagine how it'd sound saying "We have begun working on the DLC" when your game isn't out yet for any other game.
There is a very small chance Sakurai lied imho.

I do think a month and a half is enough time to create something satisfactory for a trailer who they seemed to have decided on long before now as indicated by the Squenix rep being the one Verge has been the most certain on for longest.

Could go full Inklings with just a CGI trailer.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Man, the care they've put into Spirits is wonderful so far.

Minerva is a shield spirit, which may seem like an odd fit at first since she's a Dracoknight who wields a massive pole axe in the form of the Hauteclere. By all means you'd expect her to be an attack spirit. Then I realized they were referencing Iote's Shield and it all clicked.

That and the fact that to get E. Honda, you need to combine Piston Hondo and Sumo Bro. That's hilarious.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Man, the care they've put into Spirits is wonderful so far.

Minerva is a shield spirit, which may seem like an odd fit at first since she's a Dracoknight who wields a massive pole axe in the form of the Hauteclere. By all means you'd expect her to be an attack spirit. Then I realized they were referencing Iote's Shield and it all clicked.

That and the fact that to get E. Honda, you need to combine Piston Hondo and Sumo Bro. That's hilarious.
to get paper mario you have to combine a cardboard box with... cutman

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
That is absolutely what I'm saying
If it's Sora no one gives a **** man IT'S SORA they'll just be losing it over the fact that he's in the game

Why are we assuming they haven't had time to finish up the first DLC character in the slightest?
If we're going by Sakurai's recent tweets, we can assume that he was referring to the rights to the 5 DLC characters. As such, his team can't make any of those characters without licensing agreements first. At most, there might be a WIP render if they want to announce one a while from now, but I am fairly certain he said that we won't know who the 5 characters are until the day of their release, or did I mishear him in the Direct?

Bionichute

Smash Champion
If we're going by Sakurai's recent tweets, we can assume that he was referring to the rights to the 5 DLC characters. As such, his team can't make any of those characters without licensing agreements first. At most, there might be a WIP render if they want to announce one a while from now, but I am fairly certain he said that we won't know who the 5 characters are until the day of their release, or did I mishear him in the Direct?
all he said was that they aren't going to reveal them now. releasing your big dlc with no fanfare or announcing it the same day would be a massive pr disaster

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Except he said he just finished the rights to /ALL/ the characters

Verge has been certain of a Squenix rep for months. They've likely been worked out already.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
If there's a VGA Smash announcement, I hope it's a CG trailer just so Nintendo can walk on the stage afterwards, fooling everyone into thinking it was for the original game.

Palarm

Smash Cadet
New discussion: plausible heavy weight newcomers?
Since nintendo is pulling the shots, meltan is plausible. It may be another pokemon rep but it would tie in with GO and let's GO, plus poke floats 2 could be the stage

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
IF smash gets a MS rep, and i am still a bit skeptical about it (i mean theyre not like Sony but still), i think we all can agree that it'll be great no matter WHO it is right? (especailly if the door is open for a possible season 2 of dlc)

KiBom

Smash Journeyman
Why would Nintendo hand Sakurai a list with Sora on it?

That seems like a little bit of a stretch that they'd have characters on the list that they hadn't negotiated for.

Or maybe they've already negotiated a bunch...?
It seemingly makes sense that if Nintendo had already negotiated with some companies, he couldve been handed five seperate lists with choices for each slot.

Last edited:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Here's a fun thought I would like to get everyone's opinion on. Due to Disney being on a roll of adding companies to them (Pixar, Marvel, LucasFilms, Fox)

I can see them sometime in the future to wanting to add a video game company to their company. To me the most logical choice would be that Disney would turn its attention to Nintendo due to its family friendly games. Again I am not confirming anything, its just a fun thought. So what are all of your opinions. If Disney would want to add a video game company in the future, which gaming company would they pursue?

Last edited:

KiBom

Smash Journeyman
Here's a fun thought I would like to get everyone's opinion on. Due to Disney being on a roll of adding companies to them (Pixar, Marvel, LucasFilms, Fox)

I can see them sometime in the future to wanting to add a video game company to their company. To me the most logical choice would be that Disney would turn its attention to Nintendo due to its family friendly games. Again I am not confirming anything, its just a fun thought. So what are all of your opinions. If Disney would want to add a video game company in the future, which gaming company would they pursue?
Disney buying Nintendo would be awful imo.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord

I can see them sometime in the future to wanting to add a video game company to their company. To me the most logical choice would be that Disney would turn its attention to Nintendo due to its family friendly games. Again I am not confirming anything, its just a fun thought. So what are all of your opinions. If Disney would wanted to add a video game company in the future, which gaming company would they pursue?
As much as I am agaisnt State intervention uh...
Anti Trust laws are a thing and Disney has become rather close to a monopoly..

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

Hopefully nothing
Scared of their monopoly hah

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Now on another note we don't discuss

A Bethesda newcomer would be BEYOND hype
ESPECIALLY if it were Dragonborn
Would it be the DragonBorn if it was an Elder Scrolls rep? I feel if they did add a Elder Scrolls rep it would be for their new Elder Scrolls game that is being developed(Speculated title Redfall)

Palarm

Smash Cadet

I was hoping for dogmeat as an assist trophy, seeing him holding Kirby in place for a fully charged DeDeDe F-smash would bring a tear to my eye

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Would it be the DragonBorn if it was an Elder Scrolls rep? I feel if they did add a Elder Scrolls rep it would be for their new Elder Scrolls game that is being developed(Speculated title Redfall)
No, because as you said we don't even have a TITLE for the game
Skyrim is also on Switch

KiBom

Smash Journeyman
Skyrim has sold what is sometimes referred to as a ****ton.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
IF smash gets a MS rep, and i am still a bit skeptical about it (i mean theyre not like Sony but still), i think we all can agree that it'll be great no matter WHO it is right? (especailly if the door is open for a possible season 2 of dlc)

noooo thanks

D

Deleted member

Disney further expanding their monopoly and media empire? No thank you.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Why would Nintendo hand Sakurai a list with Sora on it?

That seems like a little bit of a stretch that they'd have characters on the list that they hadn't negotiated for.

Or maybe they've already negotiated a bunch...?
Vergeben have a list of 7 characters with 3 of them being more common and he had deconfirmation of some of those 7.
It's totally realistic that while 6 of those 7 are leakbaits, it's also possible that those 7 are the one Square-Enix were willing to discuss for Smash DLC

Nintendo give the Square-Enix selection to Sakurai.
Sakurai choose one.
They negociate said characters
Boom.

StormC

Smash Hero
It would definitely be Dragonborn. The helmet itself is an iconic fixture that gamers around the world recognize on silhouette alone and Skyrim is still, memes aside, stupidly popular.

Dunno how likely it is, but yeah.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Vergeben have a list of 7 characters with 3 of them being more common and he had deconfirmation of some of those 7.
It's totally realistic that while 6 of those 7 are leakbaits, it's also possible that those 7 are the one Square-Enix were willing to discuss for Smash DLC

Nintendo give the Square-Enix selection to Sakurai.
Sakurai choose one.
They negociate said characters
Boom.
Which really makes you wonder who those 7 were.

D

Deleted member

I can see them sometime in the future to wanting to add a video game company to their company. To me the most logical choice would be that Disney would turn its attention to Nintendo due to its family friendly games. Again I am not confirming anything, its just a fun thought.
If it lets me play as Star in Smash, I'd be all for this.

No I wouldn't that sounds awful

Bionichute

Smash Champion
my entire ethos on smash characters is how related to nintendo they are, which is why cloud is and will always be the worst, even if he is insanely iconic.

it may be a bit hypocritical, but even though minecraft steve and todd howard's baby are on switch, they are the least nintendo things i can think of, and as such would probably beat cloud in terms of the worst for me

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Mostly yeah. Steve I don't care for but he'd probably be pretty fun anyways, Banjo would be hype, and Master Chief would be outrageous enough to make me overlook his lack of "Nintendo"

This though... not really. I can't think of a single Bethesda rep I'd be excited for :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom