• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Untouch

Smash Master
I doubt we’ll get a demo cause I don’t think Sakurai would want World of Light cutscenes to leak(we already know there’s more than just the opening)
Smash 4 demo was scrubbed really well, all that leaked is some stuff small for Smash 4 WiiU.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I doubt we’ll get a demo cause I don’t think Sakurai would want World of Light cutscenes to leak(we already know there’s more than just the opening)
I doubt they'd leave that data in the demo.
If they're better at how they compile stuff now.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Are we really trying to compare minions to an established character like Bandana Dee in the year 2018 when not even regarding all other arguments we just got the ****ing Piranha Plant in or am I misunderstanding
You honestly think we're gonna get more then one wtf gag character like piranha plant as dlc?

D

Deleted member

How are people feeling about things now that it's been a couple days after the direct?
I got over my initial saltyness pretty quick and was fine by Friday evening. Spirits looks dope (It's customs but done right), WoL is what I've wanted from Smash for 10 years now (Adventure Mode returns), and Incineroar has won me over with a lovable move set and a glorious Big the Cat palette swap. Oh, and Piranha Plant was the best thing to come out of the Direct and is my new main next to inkling.

Smash Bros. life is good for me. =D

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Not to be antagonistic.
But hat goomba probably wasn't shown for the same reason why other non-important trash mob/ mooks werent.
They showed waddle dee as a spirit which is atleast a half decent head nod of recognition.
I wouldnt get my hopes up at all for this characters inclusion... I feel like getting excited about hat goomba not being shown is like someone getting excited over wiggler not being shown.
Well, no offense, but despite you claiming to not be antagonistic, I find calling a character that I'm hoping for a "hat goomba", and saying that he's as worthless as other mooks and that being excited for him not being deconfirmed yet is the equivalent of being excited for wiggler not being deconfirmed yet, to be very antagonistic. Bandana Dee has much more of an identity than you give him credit for.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
You honestly think we're gonna get more then one wtf gag character like piranha plant as dlc?
I fail to see how Bandana Dee is a "wtf gag" character in the slightest but that's also not even what I was saying in my post, what I was saying was that the minion argument for Bandana Dee has been BTFO when it shouldn't have even existed because he's already been cemented as a character

Androobie

Banned via Warnings
I feel like getting excited about hat goomba not being shown is like someone getting excited over wiggler not being shown.
F2FBD0DE-F5EE-48EE-8BB9-CD8BFF9B846E.jpeg

I’m very confident if that they release a SSBU demo in the near future, it’s gonna be squeaky clean and won’t have anything worth leaking.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
How are people feeling about things now that it's been a couple days after the direct?
-Looking back, I did get my most wanted newcomer, Ridley. But that's the only character I got.
-Ashley, Lyn, Shadow, and Issac all got assist trophied.
-My top 2 since the August direct, Elma and Bandana Dee, are still MIA, which puts them both in pretty good spots for DLC.
-I'm fine with everyone in the roster, including Incineroar, since I see a lot of personality put into its moveset.
-And I actually might pick up Piranha Plant, since its one of my favorite Mario enemies. The various references to different Piranha Plants throughout the Mario series left a very good impression on me.
-World of Light seems really cool, if there's more cutscenes beyond the beginning and ending, that'll make me REALLY happy.
-Spirits overall seems like a much better Event Mode.
-Classic Mode is interesting. I love the mural.
-Kinda sucks that trophies are gone. I understand why, but it still feels weird.
-Can we just get all the art murals in this game? They look REALLY GOOD.
-I'll hold out on Online since I haven't seen it in action.

So overall... OK. Not perfect, but still excited for the game.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Well, no offense, but despite you claiming to not be antagonistic, I find calling a character that I'm hoping for a "hat goomba", and saying that he's as worthless as other mooks and that being excited for him not being deconfirmed yet is the equivalent of being excited for wiggler not being deconfirmed yet, to be very antagonistic. Bandana Dee has much more of an identity than you give him credit for.
I'm sorry you are offended by a fictional character being identified as a hat goomba.

Im sorry we have different opinions on a character and it offends you.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I got over my initial saltyness pretty quick and was fine by Friday evening. Spirits looks dope (It's customs but done right), WoL is what I've wanted from Smash for 10 years now (Adventure Mode returns), and Incineroar has won me over with a lovable move set and a glorious Big the Cat palette swap. Oh, and Piranha Plant was the best thing to come out of the Direct and is my new main next to inkling.

Smash Bros. life is good for me. =D
Nice. the plant will definitely be in my secondary team.. but there's so many characters I want to play :p
Also, im guessing you mean equipment done right, which i agree with :)
I still think customs could be cool, but they were pretty unbalanced last time.

At least I'd like for palutena to have her sonic speed dash somehow.

Mecakoto

Smash Journeyman
I’m very confident if that they release a SSBU demo in the near future, it’s gonna be squeaky clean and won’t have anything worth leaking.
Makes sense we'd get sometime around this coming Wednesday, as it'd be exactly 1 month between that point and release. Clean numbers for a clean game

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well then you'd know how us Cloud fans feel.
Not to mention the fact that he doesn't even have any Spirits. I know that I complain about :ultwario: being wah-lone, but at least he still has Spirits, Ashley as an AT and Kat/Ana as trainers. Cloud, on the other hand, is completely and utterly alone in the world.

I figure we might get a retro character sooner or later. There's always been a new one added every time, and Sakurai hasn't broken that pattern so far, which is why I find the lack of new ones in the base roster very odd (unless the :ulticeclimbers: coming back counts somehow).

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I'm sorry you are offended by a fictional character being identified as a hat goomba.

I'm not offended about your opinion about a fictional character. If you don't like Bandana Dee, that's all well and good. But you basically just made a point of telling me that a character I want is worthless and that I shouldn't be excited to not see him deconfirmed.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
-Looking back, I did get my most wanted newcomer, Ridley. But that's the only character I got.
-Ashley, Lyn, Shadow, and Issac all got assist trophied.
-My top 2 since the August direct, Elma and Bandana Dee, are still MIA, which puts them both in pretty good spots for DLC.
-I'm fine with everyone in the roster, including Incineroar, since I see a lot of personality put into its moveset.
-And I actually might pick up Piranha Plant, since its one of my favorite Mario enemies. The various references to different Piranha Plants throughout the Mario series left a very good impression on me.
-World of Light seems really cool, if there's more cutscenes beyond the beginning and ending, that'll make me REALLY happy.
-Spirits overall seems like a much better Event Mode.
-Classic Mode is interesting. I love the mural.
-Kinda sucks that trophies are gone. I understand why, but it still feels weird.
-Can we just get all the art murals in this game? They look REALLY GOOD.
-I'll hold out on Online since I haven't seen it in action.

So overall... OK. Not perfect, but still excited for the game.
Online games being more customizable is really cool too!

nice that more people are able to move past and enjoy what's coming
I'm still a bit bitter over the direct, but now that I've seen more characters' gameplay, I really think there's good potential for what's already there :)

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
If there's one character I absolutely cannot see EVER making it into Smash, it would have to be Doomguy. Unlike Snake and Bayonetta, toning down the violence and brutality of his weapons would utterly ruin the character. At that point, it would no longer even be Doomguy.

KiBom

Smash Journeyman

Bandana Dee is closer to Captain Toad than he is to Wiggler. I'm not even hoping for him and would kinda be bummed if he gets in the game, but it's not because I think he lacks personality.

Enchess

Smash Lord
I decided to purchase The DarkSouls remastered edition on my switch, kinda to support the idea of darksouls doing well on switch (and also because being able to play it on teh go is great and I already had the prepare to die edition on steam anyways :V) and i'm wondering, how many Hardcore Nintendo fans here have played the switch version, and if that have been the first exposure to the series?

Anyway.. i could really recommend it to fans of Metroid, and to alesser extent, Castlevania.

LOZ had genuine leaks once upon a time... (heleaked the props used on e3 regarding smash)

I actually find interesting the lack of XBCX content... but certainly should be taken with caution... this could be a "Dark samus and chrom costumes are missing" or also could be a "Shadow AT and Skullki AT are missing and replaced with other ATs", or... "Isaac is not an AT on this game so DLC likely"

Would be only mildly interested on Elma, but i would LOVE New XBCX Music and stage.

considering my only experience with Idol Culture have been Perfect Blue... (and to a lesser extent, FE mirage sessions) yeah... it sucks DX
I haven't played the Switch version, but the Souls series is great for both Metroid and Castlevania fans. It's one of my favorite series.

KiBom

Smash Journeyman
If there's one character I absolutely cannot see EVER making it into Smash, it would have to be Doomguy. Unlike Snake and Bayonetta, toning down the violence and brutality of his weapons would utterly ruin the character. At that point, it would no longer even be Doomguy.
This is why I think if we get a Bethesda rep it's going to be Dovahkiin.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I mean you don't have to tone a damn thing down just remove the blood.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Honestly I'm happy with this game. I got all my most wanted characters in Sm4sh, and I recognize that the two characters I want (Sora and Joker) aren't very likely.

Even though Sora seems to be very likely right now, but I won't believe anything until I see it myself. Hell, I know won't believe it even when I see it. It'll definitely take some time to sink in if it does happen.

Last edited:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Dunno if anyone pointed this out, but Corrin specifically has a new victory theme. Nobody else in the FE cast has it.

Seems like they recycled a lot less than I thought. I'm happy.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Time to watch more smash gameplay that's showed up a bit.

I really wanna see more pichu gameplay tho!

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
Dunno if anyone pointed this out, but Corrin specifically has a new victory theme. Nobody else in the FE cast has it.

Seems like they recycled a lot less than I thought. I'm happy.
Yea I just saw this which as a Corrin main and a lover of Lost in Thoughts is great for me

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I dunno, I could see Sakurai making it work. Doom has plenty of less realistic weapons for Sakurai to play with, and Doomguy’s brutality could be done without the blood and guts. Give his physical hits red motion lines, and you get the effect without the actual grossness.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I'm not offended about your opinion about a fictional character. If you don't like Bandana Dee, that's all well and good. But you basically just made a point of telling me that a character I want is worthless and that I shouldn't be excited to not see him deconfirmed.
I love the Dee.

Never said I didnt like him.

I just said not to get excited just because he wasnt shown.

Doesnt seem reasonable to assume he's in because he wasnt shown... Thats like getting excited for Wiggler, etc. Because they werent shown.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I haven't watched much Ultimate gameplay, actually.

I should probably look into some Link ones. :)
You definitely should, if you enjoy getting a taste of it. There's also a few toon link gameplay vids tha showed up. not much yet, but looking like a good zoning character

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Interesting point for Sora, but remember when Masked Man said that he knew some of the Square Enix character(s) (For reference, Sora and a Geno/Mallow Duo) in the Pre-E3 imgur leak wouldn't be in the game? This one (I've linked a post that has it quoted as Masked Man deleted his ResetEra account).

Well, Geno/Mallow aren't in the game, so does that mean Sora is the one who's in the game?

I WANT TO BELIEVE.

But seriously though, it could mean that Sora, Geno, and Mallow all aren't in the game, which, while unfortunate, is possible.

For reference, Masked Man knew about Cloud in advance.
IIRC, Masked Man works for Square Enix, I believe as a translator. He actually knew about Cloud before hand. I assume he's talking about Sora, who I think was on the leak. Unless he changed jobs, thats the only thing I can think he's refering too
SOURCE: I wrote with him at Source Gaming.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Not to be antagonistic.
But hat goomba probably wasn't shown for the same reason why other non-important trash mob/ mooks werent.
They showed waddle dee as a spirit which is atleast a half decent head nod of recognition.
I wouldnt get my hopes up at all for this characters inclusion... I feel like getting excited about hat goomba not being shown is like someone getting excited over wiggler not being shown.
Are we seriously still throwing around Hat Goomba after a god damn :ultpiranha: made it into the roster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom