• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
The biggest problem with Granblue's MC is they're blank slates, focusing around different classes.

Sure, you 'could' do a moveset which causes them to swap to a different character class, but that seems....eh?
Isn't that kinda just rpg main character's in a nutshell for the most part though? You pretty much just described all of Dragon Quest or all of Final Fantasy lol.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
The biggest problem with Granblue's MC is they're blank slates, focusing around different classes.

Sure, you 'could' do a moveset which causes them to swap to a different character class, but that seems....eh?
That is very true, which is why I don't think the playable character from DQ11 would be a good choice, but in the anime adaptation of Granblue Fantasy the protag isn't a blank slate (though I'm sure in Smash they would be more like the game and not the anime)

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
There's not much I wanna do with just the original 8. A few training matches, maybe a classic mode. After that I just wanna unlock everybody, and that entails spending all my time on an epic adventure mode.
I'll probably do the same honestly, as I really want to check out :ultlink:'s differences first hand. He'll be the one I decide to check out Classic Mode with, while also comparing the Pro Controller to my GameCube Controller to see which one I prefer before I commit to playing through World of Light.

The weekend of Ultimate is going to be the start of something special for sure.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Isn't that kinda just rpg main character's in a nutshell for the most part though? You pretty much just described all of Dragon Quest or all of Final Fantasy lol.
Yeah, since the game is made by people who broke off from the original FF team.

Which is why one of the party members(Like this 'leak' says), seems a bit easier to swallow.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I'm going to feel so conflicted when the game finally drops. I'm not sure if I'm going to want to start practicing Pokemon Trainer or go strait to World of Light to clear that first, I'm just so excited for both.
I wanna do a few things before I start World of Light, because I know when I start I won't be able to stop.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
WAAH! Someone disagrees with my opinion so they make an argument against it? What an ******* doesn't he know I'm snowflake who's immune to criticism!? See that, that right there is you. I never said you can't have your opinion I'm just stating what I find flawed about it. You can have your opinion and I can have mine. But you are not immune to criticism quit your bull****.
Who's childish now? Honestly, why do you think I'm so bothered by your comment?

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Now that you mention it, isn't that what Robin and Corrin are? Just generic JRPG protags?

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
WAAH! Someone disagrees with my opinion so they make an argument against it? What an ******* doesn't he know I'm snowflake who's immune to criticism!? See that, that right there is you. I never said you can't have your opinion I'm just stating what I find flawed about it. You can have your opinion and I can have mine. But you are not immune to criticism quit your bull****.
Waaah! I’m a little ***** and I don’t want people arguing here because it hurts our little family.

That isn’t a joke. I’m a little ***** and I want you guys to be fwiends and respect each other.
I love you, why can’t you love each other?

Iddis

Smash Apprentice
Definitely going to start on Classic with Samus, check out those spirit challenges, check the store and such then start the journey that is WoL myself^^

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Yeah, I realised that she actually has too much moveset potential rather than not enough, so there would need to be a lot more planning to figure a moveset that works.

In the meantime, I'm more concerned as to who the SE character could be.

And whether Katalina uses dat dress, but that's besides the point.
Katalina is gonna use the heck out of that dress...idk. lol

D

Deleted member

I heard Cloud is worse in Ultimate than he is in Smash 4.

Also, I will totally take Elma in DLC because she is the second hottest XC character.

Though my highest hopes are Steve, Sora, Spyro, Banjo and Kazooie and Crash Bandicoot.

NineS

Smash Lord
You know, people used to poke fun at me for thinking Don-chan has a high chance as a potential Namco rep, and a newcomer.
Then the Piranha plant happened.

So, now what do you all think about having this drum becoming a potential newcomer and namco bandai rep, and what do you think his odds compared to other namco reps are? This thing is insanely iconic and popular in Japan.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Piranha Plant's inclusion is, interestingly enough, a double-edged sword for Bandana Dee. Yes, it destroys the main argument his detractors had against him, but at the same time, what's stopping Sakurai from adding in a generic Waddle Dee instead?

D

Deleted member

I am going to unlock all of the characters first, then to the World of Light thing and then try to unlock more stuff like Spirits and then online.

Last edited by a moderator:

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
Waaah! I’m a little ***** and I don’t want people arguing here because it hurts our little family.

That isn’t a joke. I’m a little ***** and I want you guys to be fwiends and respect each other.
I love you, why can’t you love each other?
lol isn't arguing what families do... like all the time? Arguing is kind of part of the deal.

kylexv

Smash Master
Smash Ultimate comes out 3 days before my first final.

Won't have much time to play it until about 5 days after launch day.

Shroob

Sup?
https://gbf.wiki/Classes

This is why I'm very hesitant, for once, to throw the Protagonist of their own series as the Smash rep.

I'm sure Sakurai could do it, but........jesus christ there's soo many classes to pull inspiration from, where would you even begin and end?

Potato_

Smash Lord
I wanna do a few things before I start World of Light, because I know when I start I won't be able to stop.
This is partly why I hope there's another way to unlock characters other than World of Light. Cause once I start that thing I know I'm gonna barrel through it.

They didn't talk about the amiibo thing in the direct so I don't think that's an option, so I guess I'm gonna go for the tried and true method of VS mode spamming.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I think it's funny how literally all of the characters people argued were "Popular in japan" missed the roster. Let's face it. We don't know what's popular in japan.

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
I mean, Sakurai flat out told ya'll:

If you don't feel confident in the DLC pass, DON'T BUY IT.

DLC is optional, and when even Sakurai himself is more or less saying "I'm not forcing you to buy it", that should more or less put an end to it. Hell, I know people who never even bothered still with the last 3 for Smash 4.
I can only imagine the Smash Ultimate being awfully similar to PlayStation All Stars in which case!

Almost nobody brought that DLC (Zeus And Issac Clarke) and all plans for P.S All Stars DLC had to be scrapped with Sony wasting a truck load of money!

The same will be done for Ultimate in which nobody will buy any DLC (I'm telling you all that this + the base game will fail tremendously) and all plans will have to be scrapped completely (With Sakurai taking a hammer to his computer and crying all night)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I can only imagine the Smash Ultimate being awfully similar to PlayStation All Stars in which case!

Almost nobody brought that DLC (Zeus And Issac Clarke) and all plans for P.S All Stars DLC had to be scrapped!

The same will be done for Ultimate in which nobody will buy any DLC (I'm telling you all that this + the base game will fail tremendously) and all plans will have to be scrapped completely (With Sakurai taking a hammer to his computer and crying all night)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"The base game will fail"

rofl, this bait sucks, and yet I'm replying like a moron

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I brought this up earlier.

However, I guess it's too similar to Chair Theory.

Spawn Wave seems to hint at Sora, anyway.
But chair theory was just analyzing two chairs that showed no real sign of relating to any game, these are actual Kingdom Hearts dice.

I mean maybe they have something to do with the character Luxord and Nintendo just have them around for some reason? I'm not very knowledgeably of KH either way. IDK, it seems unlikely to me that'd just be a coincidence.

I mean those are literally Kingdom Hearts dice

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427

This is why I'm very hesitant, for once, to throw the Protagonist of their own series as the Smash rep.

I'm sure Sakurai could do it, but........jesus christ there's soo many classes to pull inspiration from, where would you even begin and end?
They can just use Katalina's moveset from the upcoming GBF game or something like that, I guess...maybe

KMDP

Smash Legend
I heard Cloud is worse in Ultimate than he is in Smash 4.
"Worse" is subjective.

It's probably more accurate to say he's "Better balanced against the rest of the cast".
You know, people used to poke fun at me for thinking Don-chan has a high chance as a potential Namco rep, and a newcomer.
Then the Piranha plant happened.

So, now what do you all think about having this drum becoming a potential newcomer and namco bandai rep, and what do you think his odds compared to other namco reps are? This thing is insanely iconic and popular in Japan.
Piranha Plant gives me hope for my pipe dream character, Charlotte!

Okay, not really. :laugh: (One could make an argument for characters like Caeda, Merrick or Camilla...)
Piranha Plant's inclusion is, interestingly enough, a double-edged sword for Bandana Dee. Yes, it destroys the main argument his detractors had against him, but at the same time, what's stopping Sakurai from adding in a generic Waddle Dee instead?
Generic Waddle Dee with Waddle Doo and Bandana Dee as alts...

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

*sees luchador class*

i must play this game

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Is it wrong that after years of hoping for Ridley the character I'm most hyped for is mii gunner in the custom robo costume? I feel like a traitor.

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
Speaking of Classic Mode, I honestly can't wait to play through it at least once with every character just to see what each character's path/rivals will be, since each one is supposed to be unique.

On a similar note, I want to see every characters' taglines in the Boxing Ring, as that was one of my favorite Easter eggs featured in Smash 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom