• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
You do know that there have been plenty of characters in the PxZ that can't speak and that hasn't stop them from still having fun interactions right?
Which ones?

Hell, mix that with SSE's ability for characters to interact without talking and it's easy.
So both dialogue portraits and animated cutscenes? Smash always uses the last one.

Also, getting a director to helm that writing wouldn't be impossible. Again, it just reeks of Sakurai still being salty over SSE and youtube.
It just reeks of you being salty over no story mode, tbh.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
People meme'd Ridley into the game. :troll: Also, I wonder if Piranha Plant got any votes during the ballot.
What if Sakurai didn't only look at who was the most voted in the Ballot, but also who had the least votes and make that character playable too? :upsidedown:

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, another thing I'm wondering about, since normal trophies are gone, does anyone else think we might get fighter profiles like in the old days? Probably not, but it's something to consider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xv29Njzf6I

Well fudge me, we didn't even get an excuse plot. Project x Zone 2 is an excuse plot, and a fun one. According to Sakurai, there is no such tier of plot. It's just up to our imagination mostly.
SE probably didn't even let Sakurai borrow one of their writers this time. In any case, I'll still get to punch God in the face, that's what it boils down to. Better final boss than Giga Bowser.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
What's the big deal about using that word anyway?
It used to be good to describe something that made you uncomfortable and gave you second hand embarrassment, now it's just another slang term thrown around by people who don't know what it means.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
The extra effort put toward animations really shows. Just look at Incineroar and Dark Samus, the fighters scream personality.
Do wish all of veterans had as much effort put into them as DK, though.
Yeah, as I said before, I'm glad Dark Samus made it in now rather than in the past, because the work put into her animations is incredible. Previous games wouldn't have done it as well.

Heck, I never played a Donkey Kong game and didn't initially care much for K. Rool, but how great his model and animations look have made me interested in him.

Not even close. There were plenty of fighters in the base roster who DID NOT show up in the CGI cutscene. That's a weak reason. Besides, even in Brawl, not everyone showed up initially. I'd be sad if Phoenix Wright wouldn't get to participate in the story mode because he's DLC, but not enough to snub the story potential that World of Light has.
The fact that they didn't show up in the CGI cutscene, besides the practical development reason I explained before, might also be for this exact reason. If they showed every fighter, then the DLC fighters would stick out even harder. If we got all 76 characters in that cutscene, but Piranha Plant was missing, that'd stick out more than if a few dozen are missing.

Characters who weren't really in Brawl's story mode were the ones added late into development because they almost didn't make the cut. It sucked that Wolf wasn't in the story, or that Sonic had to be shoehorned in at the end, but that's how it played out, because SSE was really difficult to make just with that small cast of characters. Ultimate's cast is almost double that size, and the game is now in HD, so it'd be exponentially more work.

I feel like Spirits/World of Light is cleverly working within those limitations to make something creative and engaging, while also not requiring nearly as much time and resources. I'd kill for a sequel to SSE, but that would need to be an entire separate game on its own.

And, apparently as I've discovered in the past year, a lot of people hated SSE, so who knows what kind of story mode would be received well.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Geno isn't a third party character, but Square Enix the company that owns him is a *third party company*. that actually means Geno is a second party character, sure he's owned by Square which is third party but the fact of the matter is that he only appeared in an *exclusive* Nintendo game. As in a game that only appeared on Nintendo hardware. Now if he or his game did come out on other non Nintendo platforms then ya sure, he would be a third party but he hasn't so he's actually a second party character. It's the same deal with Pokemon, Nintendo doesn't actually own any of the Pokemon in the Pokemon games but they have a deal of exclusivity with Game Freak for the games so they're considered second party characters. Geno is the same way just with a different company.
That is completely wrong.

Nintendo doesn't own Geno at all. He's 100% Square-Enix's property. He's a third party character.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
It just reeks of you being salty over no story mode, tbh.
Woah calm down man. I'm disappointed with it. No need to blow a gasket. I mean, it's been well documented that Sakurai has been wary of story ever since SSE had the dealio with youtube.
So both dialogue portraits and animated cutscenes? Smash always uses the last one.
Who said anything about dialogue portraits needing to be a thing? I mean, sure, they've already got protraits anyway, so I don't see how that would be a strain even if they did include those. And hey, times change so maybe they'd opt for text box dialogue over the abundance of cutscenes anyway. Not like we have a plethora or mjaority of Smash games that actually have a story mode to judge them based off of. :U
Which ones?
Skeith, Nemesis, characters that can't talk or can't talk properly, just to name a few. Besides, who's to say we can't just have the character models express themselves during character interactions? Lord knows they're certainly more expressive than they've ever been before.

Last edited:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I have no ideal why Piranah plant has a different color background besides anybody, but maybe it’s a dlc thing... I dunno

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Okay, here's the thing I'm thinking now. If you're a third party Spirit or image in the game but you're not playable or an assist trophy.

I think that might actually HELP your chances as DLC. Because Nintendo has already discussed your image with your parent company, that alone is a negotiation and a deal struck.

So like people like Geno, Tails, etc.

I also don't believe in Sora getting into the game. I think he's the ultimate pipe dream. So if anyone beats Geno at the Square Rep game it'll be someone that Square has a little more control over such as Lara or a Dragon Quest character or even pure nostalgia like Crono.

Last edited:

Polar Bair

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jac398
Geno isn't a third party character, but Square Enix the company that owns him is a *third party company*. that actually means Geno is a second party character, sure he's owned by Square which is third party but the fact of the matter is that he only appeared in an *exclusive* Nintendo game. As in a game that only appeared on Nintendo hardware. Now if he or his game did come out on other non Nintendo platforms then ya sure, he would be a third party but he hasn't so he's actually a second party character. It's the same deal with Pokemon, Nintendo doesn't actually own any of the Pokemon in the Pokemon games but they have a deal of exclusivity with Game Freak for the games so they're considered second party characters. Geno is the same way just with a different company.
If that's the case, why is Nintendo so adverse to Geno? His cameo was even removed from the remake of M&L Superstar Saga. I think SE has a lot of control over him still. Maybe Nintendo has no such deal with them, so he's still as much work to get as any third party.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I’m in love with the new Smash main theme
That is completely wrong.

Nintendo doesn't own Geno at all. He's 100% Square-Enix's property. He's a third party character.
A 3rd party character who’s also a Mario character...that’s weird

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
The fact that they didn't show up in the CGI cutscene, besides the practical development reason I explained before, might also be for this exact reason.
Precisely. Hence why DLC characters wouldn't be a reason for there not to be a story mode.
And, apparently as I've discovered in the past year, a lot of people hated SSE, so who knows what kind of story mode would be received well.
People hated the bland levels and wonky drawn out platforming, but loved the character interactions and boss battles.

I'm fine with World of Light leaving out the former like it is, and including the boss battles. All it would need to do to be loved is keeping the character interactions as well. Simple as that.

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
It used to be good to describe something that made you uncomfortable and gave you second hand embarrassment, now it's just another slang term thrown around by people who don't know what it means.
Well to be fully honest I did feel uncomfortable cause the same who made the new LPS made my least favourite show ever.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Apparently, Luigi can no longer recover using Down B.

AND IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiIiiIIIIIIIIIIIIII- HOLY ****- WIIILLL ALWAYS LOVE YOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

D

Deleted member

I hope World of Light has at least some freedom in which order you do the levels, it looks like it does but we'll have to wait and see.

Polar Bair

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jac398
Guys, can we stop acting like you need to love everything about the game as it is? I understand all the "**** Sakurai, preorder canceled" stuff is annoying, but let us have some actual discussion. I am very happy with the game, but learning that one CG trailer is ALL the story we're getting is unfortunate. Just allow people to feel things lol

Last edited:

OreoSmasher777

Smash Cadet
Welp if you want the fighter pass random then get it very early

if you want to know fighters wait for youtubers

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
So um, what did Sakurai need this for then?

Any guesses?
to help fantazise how he was going to kill everyone in a trailer. :3

People hated the bland levels and wonky drawn out platforming, but loved the character interactions and boss battles.

I'm fine with World of Light leaving out the former like it is, and including the boss battles. All it would need to do to be loved is keeping the character interactions as well. Simple as that.
on the other hand.. people loved break teh targets tight platforming level design... :c

I seriously would pay money for those :c

Untouch

Smash Master
BTW this is in 9 hours, so starting 8:30 EST
Should be the full demo, some events already have it.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Apparently, Luigi can no longer recover using Down B.

AND IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiIiiIIIIIIIIIIIIII- HOLY ****- WIIILLL ALWAYS LOVE YOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.
Luigi might be a tad bit screwed in the extra recover department

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom