• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

You see, I was calling him "Planty" so it'd be easy for people to know who I'm talking about, but if we want to give him a real name then I insist we call him Pablo Piranha, or Pablo for short. He deserves a cool alliterate name like that.
But Izzy...
Izzy can dab.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Second, Geno is Sakurai's personal pick for a character, and he's ALREADY in the game, meaning Nintendo already has the rights to use him and do whatever they like with him
LITERALLY stopped reading here because that's not how it works my man.

I'm going to do a wild guess that you're still not believing insiders "hint" when we all know how it went with the Grinch ****fest

D

Deleted member

I know.

Just need to find a good replacement quote.
Gothitelle hasn't been disconfirmed.....

Pretty sure we're done on Pokemon for this game, though if this game continues to get DLC until 2020 (someone told me that; not sure where it came form though), then I suppose there's a chance for whatever starter appeals to Sakurai the most, or whichever becomes Ash's starter, to make it in. There's been absolutely no reveals for the game yet beyond its existence, however, so it's doubtful.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Alright I'm throwing my dlc bets right now:

-Sora
-Banjo Kazooei
-Rhythm Heaven character
-Elma
-Rayman

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
I just realized that other than Krystal and Zero, we didn't get any hugely popular characters people wanted as ATs until the final direct. Can't deny that sucks as people would appreciate the disconfirmation sooner
Yeah, I’m not sure they even knew what they were doing. I’m sure back in the day Brawl ATs were the coolest thing ever, but now they’ve just become a death certificate for peoples’ picks. I honestly think the ATs were handled really badly this time, leaving so many fan favourites to the end was probably done in good faith but came off as very obnoxious and ignorant.

Heck the fact that Assist Trophies outnumber Pokemon this time around just feels like overcompensation.

D

Deleted member

I'm going to do a wild guess that you're still not believing insiders "hint" when we all know how it went with the Grinch ****fest
I don't take them as gospel, no. They're still fallible. All I know is that Vergeben's claims of there being a SE character and Minecraft content can be verified. I'll take quotes they've said that are verified as true, but any future claims, I still take with a grain of salt.

OreoSmasher777

Smash Cadet
You see, I was calling him "Planty" so it'd be easy for people to know who I'm talking about, but if we want to give him a real name then I insist we call him Pablo Piranha, or Pablo for short. He deserves a cool alliterate name like that.
Yas

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
No offence to Geno but I feel fans really overhype how much Sakurai wants him. Yeah, he stated an interest in including him in the past, but Sakurai's opinions can always change and perhaps he's not as interested anymore. Besides, it's also about what Square Enix wants, too.

If we're getting five DLC characters (and potentially no more), they're probably gonna be third-party bigshots.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I just realized 2 things.

Regarding the Piranha Plant and it's gender, this is our first fully plant based character. So yea plants don't really do gender, but furthermore that's really neat! Unless in Mario lore Piranha Plants are like animal hybrids...but I don't think so.

And if you look at what each smash game roster added, counting characters like PT & Mii Fighters seperately, as well as counting old returning vets and echo fighters as additions, Brawl, 4 (without dlc), and Ultimate all added 18 characters from the previous roster. Ultimate will also be close to 4 with dlc after the dlc season, and may even surpass it if they do a second season. I just thought this was neat and put it into perspective that we have 18 additional characters to play as from Smash Wii U.
The plant itself doesnt have a sex but Petey all on his own does but the plant is the main fighter so I just say "it" or "they" if Im talking about multiples

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

At the same time I'd be careful blindly believing a hint, until insiders definitively say something it's risky to go all-in as things like Spawn Wave's offhand comment could still mean nothing. Insiders are worth listening to when they put their name to their claim, that hasn't happened yet with Sora.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Last night, I started thinking of the irony behind Piranha Plant.

Fans: "Sakurai, we need more villains!!! We'll take anything!!!"

Sakurai: "Y'know, now that you mention it, I had this really cool idea with Piranha Plant and..."

Fans: "BuT tHaT's NoT wHaT wE wAnTeD!!!"

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, I’m not sure they even knew what they were doing. I’m sure back in the day Brawl ATs were the coolest thing ever, but now they’ve just become a death certificate for peoples’ picks. I honestly think the ATs were handled really badly this time, leaving so many fan favourites to the end was probably done in good faith but came off as very obnoxious and ignorant.

Heck the fact that Assist Trophies outnumber Pokemon this time around just feels like overcompensation.
They showed Shadow, Isaac and Spring Man, that's it. Maybe you can count Skull Kid, Black Knight and Takamaru, too, but it's not like first directs didn't have fan favorites.

Also, overcompensation for what?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I don't take them as gospel, no. They're still fallible. All I know is that Vergeben's claims of there being a SE character and Minecraft content can be verified. I'll take quotes they've said that are verified as true, but any future claims, I still take with a grain of salt.
Of course.

But for the "right" things. Know that it's not
"I get the license for Geno and I can do what I want with him"
Or
"I got Sonic's right I can do anything!"

Characters right aren't like real-life rights. Characters rights often follow a "Character Bible" that force the party who buy said licence to follow it strictly.

That Bible is what force Sonic and Pac-Man to be absolutely Blue and Yellow no matter what pallette swap.

The Sonic/Pokemon Characters Bible leaked a few years ago for Exemple.

As for "Does buying X Characters rights allow me to do anything with them even if I follow the Bible?"

No. In the end, EACH type of use have it's sort of deal. The most famous one I can think of right now is

>Who framed Roger rabbit. Each cameo of each company was almost basically choosen by the company owner, and they all had to have the same screentime/dialogue as the rival company.

>Wreck-it Ralph for the use of each video games Characters, they needed the "OK" to see if it was fine to use it in X scenes.

> Disney allowing Nomura to use Mickey for ONE scene for KH1 when they didn't fully trusted him at all

I can also assure you that if we didn't see Cloud appears in ANY CGI or get Thanos'd in the cutscenes of World of Light is because Square-Enix Probably didn't gave them the right to use Cloud for CGI videos and probably never would let him get anihilated.

But yeah, basically, each type of use is a different kind of deal and licence to pay.

Mii costume? A deal
Trophy/Spirit? A deal
Music? A deal
Fighters? Another deal and even if some artistical liberties can be taken, there is still strict rules to follow

That's why people talking about the Mii costume and now the Spirit icon never made any sense to me. It even hurt his chance more since it means that Square-Enix allowed the licence for this but probably 100% said no as a Fighters.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Last night, I started thinking of the irony behind Piranha Plant.

Fans: "Sakurai, we need more villains!!! We'll take anything!!!"

Sakurai: "Y'know, now that you mention it, I had this really cool idea with Piranha Plant and..."

Fans: "BuT tHaT's NoT wHaT wE wAnTeD!!!"
Pfft, I was talking about something like that a few pages ago. It's funny how many monkey paw wishes we got in each game.

Fans, after Brawl: "Why Fox has two clones while Roy is cut?!"
If only they knew...

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
The rhino guy is Galleom

Also im not sure what happens when you get caught in those cages.

Imagine if we got Tabuu as a reward for beating the adventure mode.
I'd definitely be up for a Smash OC being a playable character. Still waiting for Master Hand as a fighter.

Though we already have two OCs on the roster ... sort of

D

Deleted member

Sora has some ridiculous potential; especially if you start factoring in that his weapon can change into things like a hammer in KH3 (or ast leats it looks like it can).

So, assuming Sora were to get in, what form would be the base Sora?

I'm sure if he made it all three would be alternates of one another, but the finals would be difficult. If they put a lot of effort and love into it, then his 'world' forms like Halloween Town, Timeless River, and Space Paranoids will be the alts colors. I feel like we'd just get his Drive forms as alt colors (Valor, Wisdom, Final, Champion, and Anti) since together with the 3 different game looks he's had, it'd be a total of 8.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Gothitelle hasn't been disconfirmed.....

Pretty sure we're done on Pokemon for this game, though if this game continues to get DLC until 2020 (someone told me that; not sure where it came form though), then I suppose there's a chance for whatever starter appeals to Sakurai the most, or whichever becomes Ash's starter, to make it in. There's been absolutely no reveals for the game yet beyond its existence, however, so it's doubtful.
Besides Meltan and Melmetal getting the Roy treatment, you mean?

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord

Geez that's one heck of a manslaughter of disconfirmed characters... shame that so many of them got that treatment this time.

I still can't believe Shadow didn't make it as Sonic's echo, he played exactly like him in Adventure II and Heroes.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Sora has some ridiculous potential; especially if you start factoring in that his weapon can change into things like a hammer in KH3 (or ast leats it looks like it can).

I'm sure if he made it all three would be alternates of one another, but the finals would be difficult. If they put a lot of effort and love into it, then his 'world' forms like Halloween Town, Timeless River, and Space Paranoids will be the alts colors. I feel like we'd just get his Drive forms as alt colors (Valor, Wisdom, Final, Champion, and Anti) since together with the 3 different game looks he's had, it'd be a total of 8.
I have it in my head that they use Digital Sora (rocking the KH1 look) and use that to explain where he is while KH3 is going down.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
My DLC Predictions:
71. Sora
72. Banjo-Kazooie
73. Minecrap Steve
74. Heihachi
75. Bethsada Rep (Doomguy?)

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Anyone thinking Sakurai won't put ANOTHER Fire Emblem character as DLC...is just wishful thinking.

DLC will likely be: Geno, Minecraft Steve, a FE rep (probably the Ice Princess from Heroes), Ryu Hayabusa and either Rex or Lora from XC2

SSB4Dojo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CommanderCanuck7
Out of curiosity, what do you need to see in the dlc to make you buy it? For me, 5 new fighters (meaning should be 5 new playstyles) and 5 new stages sells me on it even without knowing who the specifics of who the fighters or stages will be.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'd definitely be up for a Smash OC being a playable character. Still waiting for Master Hand as a fighter.

Though we already have two OCs on the roster ... sort of
:ultgnw::ultrob::ultroy::ultfalcon::ultmiifighters:... for starters. :4pacman:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990

Sora in his KH3 outfit. Even though the game isn't out they've been using it in merchandise for years now.

D

Deleted member

Besides Meltan and Melmetal getting the Roy treatment, you mean?
I forgot those two were a thing. I think it's got several things against it, though (at least in my opinion).
It's a legendary pokemon; we've got Mewtwo because he was so hyped and had 2 of his own movies with a remake in the works
It's design is..kind of lacking. I mean, its not awful...but it's not great either; just average for a Pokemon; not really a standout.
It's apparently a ridiculously pain-in-the-butt pokemon to get. It's the first Gen 8 Pokemon, but it can ONLY be found in GO and can only be evolved in GO before being moved to the Gen 8 game.

It's kind of cumbersome to get a hold of; let alone evolve. People looking to complete their Dex will get it, but it's going to go the way off the Regi's; Pokemon with ridiculous requirements to get and minimal appeal that fall to the wayside next to everything else Pokemon has already offered.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
They showed Shadow, Isaac and Spring Man, that's it. Maybe you can count Skull Kid, Black Knight and Takamaru, too, but it's not like first directs didn't have fan favorites.

Also, overcompensation for what?
I think the difference here is with Shadow, Isaac and Skull Kid, those are returning assists that people wanted to be playable. It's different than Bomberman and Shovel Knight, where we didn't know if they'd be in Smash, so at least being an assist is... something. Those should have been saved for the last Direct.

The worst mishandling of that is Shadow. They should have revealed Shadow as an assist early on to take him out of the echo discussion and save Knuckles for this Direct as a nice surprise. Still not ideal, but better than the way they handled it in my opinion. I feel extra bad for all those fans who had to wait 5 months to know for sure. That being said, it wasn't anything like "trolling" on Sakurai's part, as much as it feels that way--he genuinely believes assist trophies are worthy ways of representing characters, but that's not how fans view it (and I understand how they feel).

osby

Smash Obsessed
Anyone thinking Sakurai won't put ANOTHER Fire Emblem character as DLC...is just wishful thinking.

DLC will likely be: Geno, Minecraft Steve, a FE rep (probably the Ice Princess from Heroes), Ryu Hayabusa and either Rex or Lora from XC2
Sakurai putting another FE character as DLC is wishful thinking for me.

I think the difference here is with Shadow, Isaac and Skull Kid, those are returning assists that people wanted to be playable. It's different than Bomberman and Shovel Knight, where we didn't know if they'd be in Smash, so at least being an assist is... something. Those should have been saved for the last Direct.

The worst mishandling of that is Shadow. They should have revealed Shadow as an assist early on to take him out of the echo discussion and save Knuckles for this Direct as a nice surprise. Still not ideal, but better than the way they handled it in my opinion. I feel extra bad for all those fans who had to wait 5 months to know for sure. That being said, it wasn't anything like "trolling" on Sakurai's part, as much as it feels that way--he genuinely believes assist trophies are worthy ways of representing characters, but that's not how fans view it (and I understand how they feel).
I was mostly talking about Waluigi, Lyn and Midna but got it. I'm just glad we got Yuri and Akira.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990

Rex is deconfirmed

OreoSmasher777

Smash Cadet
Out of curiosity, what do you need to see in the dlc to make you buy it? For me, 5 new fighters (meaning should be 5 new playstyles) and 5 new stages sells me on it even without knowing who the specifics of who the fighters or stages will be.
I know ill end up buying it but I really want Bandana waddle dee and Bango-Kazoie

On another note who are you guys interested in using in SSBU.

Im using Chrom and Snake

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
? What OC'S I only see the Mii's
I was thinking mainly of ROB (who was more of a peripheral than a character prior to Smash - plus ROB is the Ancient Minister, a Smash OC) and Mr. Game and Watch (who didn't exist as a single entity prior to Smash).

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Sakurai putting another FE character as DLC is wishful thinking for me.

I was mostly talking about Waluigi, Lyn and Midna but got it. I'm just glad we got Yuri and Akira.
If you want any new FE rep that isn’t Lyn you’re part of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom